/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Othello

limitless
07-07-2006, 05:50 PM
:sl:

I am taking a ENG3UN course which is English Grade 11 University level at my day school which is now summer school. We started Othello and finished two acts so far, and I was very curious to know something since most of you are in Britian. Othello was described as a "negro" and "moslem" whom he married a Veientian "white skinned girl". The word "moslem" is it even correct? I took that as an insult and told the teacher to correct it, but then she said it is "british english". Isn't it muslim? Also, were their muslims back in shakespearean time who got married to such woman, "white skinned" (non-muslim) Did they revert/convert to islam or not? And were they treated this badly as in present times?
Thanks

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

I am taking a ENG3UN course which is English Grade 11 University level at my day school which is now summer school. We started Othello and finished two acts so far, and I was very curious to know something since most of you are in Britian. Othello was described as a "negro" and "moslem" whom he married a Veientian "white skinned girl". The word "moslem" is it even correct? I took that as an insult and told the teacher to correct it, but then she said it is "british english". Isn't it muslim? Also, were their muslims back in shakespearean time who got married to such woman, "white skinned" (non-muslim) Did they revert/convert to islam or not? And were they treated this badly as in present times?
Thanks

I may be wrong but I think that moslem was the word used to describe muslims in old time English. So altering the word to muslim would be inaccurate when portraying this time period.

Woodrow
07-07-2006, 06:56 PM
As searching soul said, Moslem was the English spelling of Muslim in the time of Shakespeare.

Othello is quite an interesting story. Too keep you a little bit in tune with the times and dates of the story a Moor was a person from Morocco, not necessarily a Muslim. At that time there were probably very many non-Muslims in Morocco. That is the reason for stating Othello was a Moor and a Muslim.

In reading the story you will learn much agout the stereotyping of the times. You will also learn of the tolerance and the acceptance and non-acceptance. Look carefully and try to learn the story, not the mechanics of the language.

searcheroftruth
07-08-2006, 02:44 AM
i hate that guy nothing personal but i had to do a 7 page essay on him at skool

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslim_friend
07-08-2006, 02:59 AM
I think that westerners couldn't pronounce certain words well enough, so they changed it to suit them.. :rollseyes .. like Kolkata, which was renamed Calcutta by the british imperialists. I'm sure 'moslem' is on this list.

Muezzin
07-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Shakespeare is haraam.

...I'm sorry, I just felt the urge to say that and see how many people fall for it.

limitless
07-08-2006, 11:59 PM

How is shakespeare haraam, if he is, what can I do? I am forced to read his plays ...? Is there a way to avoid this?

Muezzin
07-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Shakespeare is not haraam. I just said that as a spoof of certain types who seemingly declare things haraam at random. ;) Apologies for any confusion caused.

mano_the_cat
07-09-2006, 09:10 PM
well, Othelo is refered to as a 'moor' not a muslim/moslem.
and its just a story, enjoy it that way!

Woodrow
07-09-2006, 09:56 PM
You are probably right. It has been a long time since I read Othello. It could be the teacher was assuming he was Muslim because he was a Moor. In that event the Moslim would be improper as that would be the Teacher's words and todays spelling demands the proper spelling of Muslim.

mano_the_cat
07-09-2006, 09:59 PM
hmm i read in 6th grade but still i remember he was a 'moor' not speciafically a muslim .... anyway, nice story by shakespeare!

Muezzin
07-10-2006, 06:14 PM
To be honest, if I had to choose between archaic spellings describing the followers of Islam, I'd choose 'Moslem' over 'Mohammadan' any day...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.