/* */

PDA

View Full Version : SA Muslims protest prison’s hijab ban

sonz
07-07-2006, 06:26 PM
The Muslim Judicial Council (MJC) in South Africa is locked in a bitter legal battle with the Department of Correctional Services (DCS) over its decision to fire a Muslim prison social worker who refused to take off her Islamic headscarf, or Hijab, The Muslim News reported.

In April 2005, Fayrouz Adams, 37, who works at a Worcester prison in Cape Town, was asked to take off her Hijab in accordance with the prison’s new uniform policy which bans Muslim women from wearing the Islamic headscarf.

Adams’ dismissal has angered Muslim leaders, who insist that she didn’t break the uniform regulations as she wore a scarf in the brown “corporate colors” of her employer and that she did not look "untidy".

The Muslim News MJC, which is financially supporting Adams after she was sacked last week, issued a statement to protest the DCS’s decision, describing it as “an insult to democracy and an outright attack upon Muslims”.

The MJC also said it is “disappointed by the total disregard for the religious observances of Muslim members of this society.”

It also warned that “If the DCS is allowed to get away with this today, other departments will follow suit. Government departments should be fully aware that the wearing of a headscarf is not a cultural way of dress for Muslims but rather the observance of a divine law which is stipulated in the Holy Qur’an.”

The Hijab is meant to protect the Muslim woman from the eyes of men outside her family. It has been the subject of heated debate in several Western states for more than a decade.

Lawyers representing the MJC will take Adams' case to the Labour Court, and the Muslim group said it will pay all the legal costs.

“Whether or not the process has been fair thus far, as the department has consistently claimed, the case will have to be put to test in court,” said MJC President Moulana Ihsaan Hendricks.

“Our own involvement with the department in this case leaves us with grave doubts about the processes that were followed because we were certainly not able to get a meaningful response from the DCS,” Hendricks adds.

Correctional Services spokesperson, Manelisi Wolela, confirmed that Adams was fired after her appeal against an earlier dismissal failed. He insisted that the DCS will “defend” its decision.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
searchingsoul
07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
The Muslim Judicial Council (MJC) in South Africa is locked in a bitter legal battle with the Department of Correctional Services (DCS) over its decision to fire a Muslim prison social worker who refused to take off her Islamic headscarf, or Hijab, The Muslim News reported.

In April 2005, Fayrouz Adams, 37, who works at a Worcester prison in Cape Town, was asked to take off her Hijab in accordance with the prison’s new uniform policy which bans Muslim women from wearing the Islamic headscarf.

Adams’ dismissal has angered Muslim leaders, who insist that she didn’t break the uniform regulations as she wore a scarf in the brown “corporate colors” of her employer and that she did not look "untidy".

The Muslim News MJC, which is financially supporting Adams after she was sacked last week, issued a statement to protest the DCS’s decision, describing it as “an insult to democracy and an outright attack upon Muslims”.

The MJC also said it is “disappointed by the total disregard for the religious observances of Muslim members of this society.”

It also warned that “If the DCS is allowed to get away with this today, other departments will follow suit. Government departments should be fully aware that the wearing of a headscarf is not a cultural way of dress for Muslims but rather the observance of a divine law which is stipulated in the Holy Qur’an.”

The Hijab is meant to protect the Muslim woman from the eyes of men outside her family. It has been the subject of heated debate in several Western states for more than a decade.

Lawyers representing the MJC will take Adams' case to the Labour Court, and the Muslim group said it will pay all the legal costs.

“Whether or not the process has been fair thus far, as the department has consistently claimed, the case will have to be put to test in court,” said MJC President Moulana Ihsaan Hendricks.

“Our own involvement with the department in this case leaves us with grave doubts about the processes that were followed because we were certainly not able to get a meaningful response from the DCS,” Hendricks adds.

Correctional Services spokesperson, Manelisi Wolela, confirmed that Adams was fired after her appeal against an earlier dismissal failed. He insisted that the DCS will “defend” its decision.

AlJazeera
I understand that this is a sensitive issue. Personally hijab does not bother me. But I think that limitations and laws need to be created and enforced. By allowing hijab the institution would have to allow other deviations to their dress code for the sake of religion. As we all know there are some nutcases out in the world who would use religion as a means to justify their insane actions, even in their preferences of dress.

I think it is best for this lady to accept the new dress code and seek employment elsewhere.

guyabano
07-07-2006, 08:00 PM
I think it is best for this lady to accept the new dress code and seek employment elsewhere.
agree ! I mean, the owner of a company make his rules and can decide on the dresscode. Don't like it, don't work there

catmando
07-08-2006, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
agree ! I mean, the owner of a company make his rules and can decide on the dresscode. Don't like it, don't work there
Sounds to me like the code was changed against her, so IMO she has a case to make. I don't agree with Muslim clothes on school children, but some of the American kids are waaaaay off the deep end with their scandalous dressing.

When I was in Jr High and High School, the fad was Levis jeans and white Tshirts. Admin made us wear proper button shirts over the Ts and we did it or got sent home to face parents' wrath.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.