/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Making friends at the Masjid

soulsociety
07-07-2006, 11:14 PM
:sl:

I was just wondering if any brothers or sisters make efforts to befriend people who appear to be lonely at a gathering, masjid etc.? Quite a few people write in and say that they have no friends or find it difficult, can lead to depression especially for sisters.

I'm quite shy, but if I see a brother by themselves I do try and make conversation. (Well I'm not shy, more of a loner, but the voices in my head do keep me company...)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
07-07-2006, 11:15 PM
:salamext:

naa i go to the masjid on my own coz most brothers in my area seem to hav sumthin against us bengali's, none really converse with us, most of them are turkish/somali :rollseyes

in east london and north got plenty of friends in masjids tho :)

:wasalamex

Dahir
07-07-2006, 11:25 PM
(Well I'm not shy, more of a loner, but the voices in my head do keep me company...)
Are you that voice in my head that's typing that??

Seriously,

My entire life, I've reached out to 'lonely people' but it seems I'm so willing to help and talk that they get to 'know me too well' and they end up trying to 'man-up' to me, and it gets me irritated after a while! If you're too mean, people complain, if you're too nice, people take advantage of you, I sometimes understand why people CHOOSE to be lonely, it works for some.

amirah_87
07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

i don't mingle with any sisters when i go to the masjid..the handful of freinds i have is enough for me alhamdulillah...
i just can't be bothered to mingle with ppl , it just causes too much fitnah..and i know the outcome of that:heated:
so when i enter i just pass my salaams ...and quit the small talk...ppl might say i'm stuck up, but.........:?
i just go to do my stuff and leave!!...:)

don't worry yourself too much inshaAllah!!..:peace:

wa alaykum ass salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
07-07-2006, 11:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87
don't worry yourself too much inshaAllah!!..:peace:

lol this is the key, silence is a virtue! and we are told to choose our close companions wisely.

:salamext:

amirah_87
07-07-2006, 11:31 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

yep :happy:

wa alaykum ass salaam

Helena
07-07-2006, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir

Seriously,

My entire life, I've reached out to 'lonely people' but it seems I'm so willing to help and talk that they get to 'know me too well' and they end up trying to 'man-up' to me, and it gets me irritated after a while! If you're too mean, people complain, if you're too nice, people take advantage of you, I sometimes understand why people CHOOSE to be lonely, it works for some.
yeah i kinda feel that aswell..am like that too...reaching out to ppl.....am a nice person..alhamdulilah..ppl easily can take advantage of me...da prob wid me....i easily accept/agree wid da person even thou somehow i disagree............but am a kinda person who'll never try to make smeone upset or hurt in anyway....ppl easily hurt me...but dnt wana hurt them back...its not me......

during mosque...performing salaah during jummah prayer or teraweeh, mainly go wid my mum, cousins or invite friends ova...

Dahir
07-07-2006, 11:58 PM
performing salaah during jummah prayer or teraweeh, mainly go wid my mum, cousins or invite friends ova...
None of my close friends are Muslim as I live in a part of town where Muslims come and go as often as cars fly.

searcheroftruth
07-08-2006, 02:21 AM
to be honest i don't talk to people in the Masjid because iam not there to make friends iam there to prey a

Abdullah4ever
07-08-2006, 02:30 AM

Good point brother searcher of the truth.

I am at the Masjid for 10hours ( I do fulltime quran there and islamicstudies) so yah i no every single person there in the brothers section alhumdillah, astagfurillah unfortunatly im really talkitive at some times :(

AbdulHaq
07-08-2006, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by soulsociety
(Well I'm not shy, more of a loner, but the voices in my head do keep me company...)
lol, i swear, that is me, exactly. Those voices keep me company too, lol. And whats wrong with a little Isolation, gives me time to think, right?

Anonymous.92
07-08-2006, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir

Seriously,

Ahhhhhhh Finally someone that understands. I am in the exact same position. It is soo annoying.

muslim_friend
07-08-2006, 03:28 AM

It's the usual "salaam alaykum, how are you?".. i know almost everyone in my masjid. Most of them are sweet old people or middle-aged men. I jus' sit down with them and see some smiles before the prayer.. That gives me a lot of happiness.. I love my masjid and its atmosphere!

Anonymous.92
07-08-2006, 03:33 AM
^^^ Mashallah

shudnt_have
07-08-2006, 03:52 AM
Intersting q.

Well to be honest here...'those individuals who make full attempts to islolate themselves from others and stick close to the wall at the masjid...intrigues me nmore.....

i am usually friends with these type of ppl...who earn the price of remaining silent which is gold...so I approach them.b.c these ppl seem to be wiser then the regular chatterbox myself...:giggling:

Woodrow
07-08-2006, 04:13 AM
Most of the people at the Masjid I attend are quite a bit younger then myself and still active in the work force. Most of them are attendining during a break from work and are in a rush to return to their jobs, so there is very little sociolizing. However I have met 2 gentlmen that are a little older then myself and we do seek each other out for at least a brief hello.

muslim_friend
07-08-2006, 04:18 AM
One thing i've noticed at the Masjid is the lack of 'salaams'..

soulsociety
07-08-2006, 11:05 AM

What does man-up mean?

IbnAbdulHakim
07-08-2006, 11:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by soulsociety

What does man-up mean?
means act more like a man :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.