/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge that does not Benefit..

muslim_friend
07-08-2006, 08:02 AM
On the authority of Zayd ibn Arqam radhiallaahu `anhu that the Messenger of Allaah sallallahu alaihi wa sallam used to say,

"O Allaah, I seek refuge in you from knowledge which does not benefit, from a heart which does not feel humble, from a soul that does not feel contended and from an invocation that is not answered."[Muslim]

Indeed the Prophet’s sallallahu `alaihi wa sallam seeking refuge from knowledge which doesn’t benefit comprises many things:

So look, for example at the books of Philosophy and those of the Ahl-ul-Kalaam. They have become prevalent and widespread even so far as being included into the syllabuses of institutions and universities. A student may waste most of his time trying to comprehend what an author intended, and once understood he feels no real gain from that, neither towards his religion, nor his life, nor towards his community or the Muslim Ummah.

A student spends years mastering various subjects, not having any affinity to the reality of life, nor bringing him any nearer to Allaah.

How many biographies of unimportant, notorious characters are found, examinations are set about them and certificates are granted because of them. Their status is raised on an international level. This is on the one hand, while on the other hand we remain ignorant of the biographies of the Companions of the Messenger of Allaah, sallallaahu `alaihi wa sallam. We are ignorant of the tafseer of even the shortest Chapters of the Qur’aan, ignorant of basic rulings of fiqh that everyone is required to know, and maybe people will treat greatly if I said: We are ignorant of many fundamentals of our `aqeedah.

"Adorning Knowledge with Actions" by Shaykh Husayn al-Awaayishah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
07-08-2006, 08:17 AM
Aslaamu Alaikum,

Like all things knowledge must be sought with a purpose. I think some of us fall into the trap of worshiping our own self worth, by taking pride in the quantity of which we learn. We all need to gain knowledge, but first we must need to understand what knowldge we need and have a true use for.

muslim_friend
07-08-2006, 08:29 AM
^How Right you are.. Many people want fame and status so dearly, that i think they'll even sacrifice what should be for the cause of Allah.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-08-2006, 11:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Aslaamu Alaikum,

Like all things knowledge must be sought with a purpose. I think some of us fall into the trap of worshiping our own self worth, by taking pride in the quantity of which we learn. We all need to gain knowledge, but first we must need to understand what knowldge we need and have a true use for.
thats the worst thing bro, when pride comes into it. But Allah swt said that when the disbelievers step into hell they will admit their lack of knowledge by saying, "if we had any intelligence we would not be here right now".

SubhanAllah!

JazakAllah khair to muslim_friend :)

:salamext:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.