/* */

PDA

View Full Version : BBC : Thought of the Day

SirZubair
07-08-2006, 09:19 PM
BBC: Thought of the Day

By Hamza Yusuf

Over two thousand years ago a wise Greek wrote, "In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God." As these September days return to us, they bring with them painful memories. September 11th, etched infamously in our hearts, will continue to serve as an unexampled testimony to the horrors man is capable of inflicting on his fellow man. Some will say last September was a harbinger of what is to come, but hope reminds us that our past need not be our future.

Centuries ago in Arabia, a proud and provincial people were trapped in cycles of vengeful violence. Gloriously, for a time, they were freed from those cycles when they accepted the truth that just laws -- not unruly passions -- should guide men. The Quran taught them: "If a man is slain unjustly, his heir shall be entitled to retribution. But let him not carry his just right to excess, for his victims are sure to be assisted and avenged." Once again, we find ourselves in cycles of excessive vengeance as our leaders plan more carnage in their absurd dreams of eliminating evil from the world. In describing this futile pursuit, R.D. Lange wrote: "If all of the good people kill all of the evil people none will be left to celebrate..."

If we are to make purposeful the senseless deaths of last year due to zealous hatred, and those that ensued in hateful retaliation, it is by hating less ourselves, by understanding more others, by listening intently to the pain of people still suffering under the yoke of unjust tyrannies, much like those not long removed from the West with horrible bloodshed and regicidal terror. Our leaders serve no one by arming their despots, training their tyrants, and using them to fight wars by proxy in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Our leaders certainly do us no service by then punishing mercilessly entire nations for the impudent violence of a few against their perceived malefactors. We must never punish an entire nation for the acts of undemocratically elected tyrants or their minions, for in doing so we insure the continuance of cycles of hatred and vengeance.

Indeed, the world has seen enough of death and destruction. Let us instead bring life and hope to so many suffering souls, who in their hearts, in spite of so much betrayal, look to the West with hope and expectation. Let the pain of these September days fall on our hearts drop by drop until a growing wisdom prevails, and the despair of few fails to infect the hopes of many. Over two hundred years ago, America declared her independence to the world by holding certain truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal and are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, among which are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Let us recall that these universal truths have yet to be evident for all people. In recognizing that the work of the past is incomplete, we can commit our future work to what others so selflessly started, in the hopes that one day, liberty and justice might be realized, not for some, but for all.

For more articles by Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, Visit :

http://www.zaytuna.org/articles.asp

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SirZubair
07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
CHANGING THE TIDE

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Hamza Yusuf - Changing My Faith to Islam

(Google Video: 56 min 12 sec)

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 11:12 AM

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SirZubair
07-21-2006, 11:14 AM
In Conversation with Shaykh Hamza Yusuf ( PDF )

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Sheikh Hamza Yusuf: 'Challenges of Co-Existence'

Listen | Download (19.8 MB - 68:59 min)

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Sheikh Hamza Yusuf on Danish TV - Deadline

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Asalam alaikum Akhi.

Yes, i think it belongs in this section.

At first,i tried to post it in the 'Biographies of Islamic figures' seeing that others have been able to post Yusuf Estes,Yusuf Islam,Ahmed Deedat,on there, but after trying to post something on there 2+ times, and being rejected by the Mods (for unexplained reasons) i've decided to post it here since his lectures are to do with World Affairs.

As for your major issues with Shaykh Hamza Yusuf, Yes akhi, i know, you've pointed it out to me before, about 3 times i think.

This isn't a "Hamza yusuf Fan thread" this is a thread which i have created simply to promote the scholar and to show some of the Critics (who criticise him without even hearing anything he has to say!) that he isn't who they think he is.

So, anyone that is interested,i am providing you with the Material. Feel free to use it.

For those that aren't interested, Please, either PM ME or start another thread, i didn't create this thread for the critics. Please respect that.

Shukran.

Wa'salaam

-Zubair

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Shk Hamza Yusuf: Understanding Jihad in Islam

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 08:45 PM
There Is No Calamity If There Is Certainty | By: Hamza Yusuf

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
PATIENCE TAKES COURAGE - Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

SirZubair
07-21-2006, 08:47 PM
MeccaOne Radio: Ethnic Jihad | By: Shaykh Hamza & Imam Zaid

SirZubair
07-22-2006, 09:35 AM
:sl:

There are enough links here to keep everyone busy for atleast afew days.

I hope people make the most of it and check out the Links,i hope i didn't waste my time.

Wa'salaam.

SirZubair
07-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Shk. Hamza Yusuf's Multimedia Works

SirZubair
07-24-2006, 07:47 AM

(Duration: 37 mins 26 sec)

Mohsin
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Jk Khairun for those bro insha'allah will try and listen to some

SirZubair
07-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Not a problem akhi :)

جوري
07-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Thank you very much... jazaka Allah Khyran

SirZubair
07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
plz... no more off topic posts here...

feel free to start another thread.

Jazakallah Akhi.

:w:

Dawud_uk
07-25-2006, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair

Jazakallah Akhi.

assalaamu alaykum,

if someone posed a thread entitled 'israel is great' and i posted a response stating this was not true and giving reasons for it would it be off topic?

or would it be perfectly valid to include it there under the same thread?

simularly, if someone promotes a deviant scholar who attacks the mujahadeen with his words and acts as chief advisor on islam to todays chief enemy of islam - george bush then surely such a reponse belongs under the same thread does it not?

unless the mods are willing to remove all responses that disagree with the original poster from all threads then they are basically applying double standards and protecting this deviant scholar for some other reason.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

SirZubair
07-25-2006, 12:01 PM

Dawud...

I have solution for you..

Step 1: Buy a truck load of Bricks.

Step 2 : Build a bridge.

Step 3 : Get Over It.

Buddy,... you are comparing Israel to Shaykh Hamza Yusuf? Go back to the thread you created, i've provided a link/audio for everyone to check out in which he has CLEARLY Condemned GEORGE BUSH, and also he has condemned ISRAEL.

This is the VERY REASON i created this thread, i was hoping to stop people such as YOU from spreading the lies that you love spreading. So do me a favour,i am asking you for the second time, leave this thread alone. I didn't create this thread for the Critics. And i didn't create it for the Fans either. I simply created it to Insha'allah spread the truth.

If there was a fire outside my house,i would run outdoors and put it out. Just like that, if i hear lies about a Scholar whom i respect, i will refute it. Not by arguing with you, i'll do it in my own special way. It is called "Spreading the truth". Try it sometime, i know it is contagious, but its not harmful at all ! I promise !

Ghazi
07-25-2006, 12:08 PM

Bro sir zubair and bro dawud , debate with each other in a gentle manner inshallah.

SirZubair
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Bro sir zubair and bro dawud , debate with each other in a gentle manner inshallah.

Insha'allah i will try my best to do so, That is IF he stops labeling people as 'deviants'. If he carrys on acting as if he is Gods Gift To Mankind, i will be more than happy to put him back in his place.

SirZubair
07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
* BUMP *

Seeing as this thread has caused so much controversy,i thought it deserved a bump... :D

Daffodil
07-25-2006, 01:40 PM
Just like that, if i hear lies about a Scholar whom i respect, i will refute it.
zubair, so far u havent refuted any of dawuds claims from the other hamza yusuf thread he started.

SirZubair
07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
zubair, so far u havent refuted any of dawuds claims from the other hamza yusuf thread he started.

Have you considered reading my first post in that thread :? If not, then THINK about considering it. That is not a demand, it is a request. :)

I have proved him wong wherever i could, and for the questions i haven't been able to answer, he is Emailing the shaykh/zaytuna institute for clarifications. Maybe you should do the same seeing as you are seeking the truth.

I am only 1 man, there is only so much i can do. I have done my best.

Now,..have some patience and wait for that thread to re-open and carry on posting there.

Daffodil
07-25-2006, 02:22 PM
dawud uk is my other half so ill wait for the response he gets from them once hes sends the questions so no point me sending the same thing.

but as he sed already wen ppl have tried to ask him questions n stuff he doesnt answer so can never really get to the truth.

Also, its not on us to giv him a chance to take those claims back because wen u openly say something in public like calling the mujahideen kawarij u have to openly n publicly apoligise n take those claims back.

any ways lets just see what zaytuna have to say. thats if they ever bother to get back to us.

SirZubair
07-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Here is a tip : Don't attack them in the email :) Try to be nice.

As for them not replying to you the last time, that is not of my concern. Like i've said,i have done what i can. Like it,or leave it. Thats the end of the show. Now please,for the love of god,wait til that thread opens and take your comments there :) Shukran.

Daffodil
07-25-2006, 03:03 PM
May Allah swt guide u ameen.

SirZubair
07-25-2006, 05:56 PM

May Allah swt grant you and your husband the Hikma that you so despretly desire, and may allah swt grant you and your husband the Hidayat that you so despretly require.

strider
07-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Jazakumullah Khair, brother SirZubair. May Allah reward you for your efforts. Ameen.

Ma'assalama

SirZubair
07-26-2006, 11:03 AM

Not a problem Sis :)

Hijrah
10-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Question why are some of you people thinking those Afghan Mujahideen who I think is referring to the Taliban is on Haqq Jihad in the first place?

Shaykh Saalih As-Suhaymee has given a fatwa that though they are not kaafirs, they are still responsible for some bid'at...

Dawud_uk
10-26-2006, 09:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah
Question why are some of you people thinking those Afghan Mujahideen who I think is referring to the Taliban is on Haqq Jihad in the first place?

Shaykh Saalih As-Suhaymee has given a fatwa that though they are not kaafirs, they are still responsible for some bid'at...
assalaamu alaykum,

when the salaf referred questions to those on the front lines when in dispute i think that it is a bit rich to start asking whether we should help people because they may or may not have performed some bidah in the past...

anyway, for the record the taliban are from ahlus sunnah so minor disputes should not stop us aiding them and should not be used as excuses by people to not help howrever smal that help is that is possible for each of us, it is a fard aiyn duty.

assalaamu alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

IbnAbdulHakim
10-26-2006, 09:26 AM
fard aiyn? not kifaayat? :eek:

Dawud_uk
10-26-2006, 09:33 AM
no fard aiyn, when defensive jihad is fought then it is fard aiyn on those in that land to help however they can, then fard kifiyyah on those around them to help however they can.

if however they cannot repulse the enemy then it becomes fard aiyn on those arround them and fard kifiyyah on those lands surrounding this 2nd set of lands.

if they cannot repulse the enemy then it becomes fard aiyn on those 3rd set of poeple and fard kifiyah on those surrounding them... etc etc etc.

read the works of sheikh Abdullah Azzam, especially his fataawah book called 'defence of the muslim lands' available online or from azzam publications in the uk.

for the record sir zubair i am still waiting for a reply, given the publicity and claim and counter claim you would have thought someone would have a rebuttal ready for such claims if such a rebuttal was possible?

Abu Abdullah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.