/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Flint hosts giant Islamic sports event

sonz
07-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Islamic Riyaadah, a giant sports event is expected to gather thousands of Muslims from around the world in Flint next week, according to the Flint Journal.

Islamic Riyaadah or "sports activity" will include basketball, soccer, archery and track and field events. This will be the first time Flint hosts the convention which has been held in several cities across the United States over the past 24 years.

Last year, Detroit hosted the event.

The opening will take place on Friday-July 14 at the Perani Arena and Event Center, 3501 Lapeer Road.

"This will be a good opportunity for the general community to come and get first-hand information and ask any questions they want about Islam," said Hanifi Abdul-Malik, the head of the Muslim House of Flint, adding that he wishes the event will attract a huge number of Muslims from around the world.

"All a lot of people know about Flint is what Michael Moore showed (Roger & Me) and General Motors, but there is much more," said Abdul-Malik, 59.

Malik came from Guthrie, Okla., in 1968 to work in a local auto plant and opened the Muslim House in 804 King Ave.

"My thing is I want to highlight Flint," he said. "I love the city and I want Islam to be a positive factor for the city."

It was decided twenty-three years ago that an annual athletic competition be held with the aim of bringing together different Islamic communities and thus strengthen national brotherhood and sisterhood.

The event was previously held in Atlanta, Philadelphia, New York, Detroit, Greensboro, Cleveland, and Washington D.C.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
07-09-2006, 01:19 PM
:sl:

Good idea.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.