/* */

PDA

View Full Version : French Muslims Proud of Zidane, Ribery

sonz
07-09-2006, 01:21 PM
PARIS — One day before the World Cup final against Italy on Sunday, July 9, French Muslims are walking on the air with their soccer team and with superstar Muslim footballers Zinedine Zidane and Franck Ribery.

"We are proud of our French soccer team and playmaker Zinedine Zidane," Lhaj Thami Breze, chairman of the Union of French Islamic Organizations (UOIF), told IslamOnline.net.

"We are confident Les Bleus (the nickname for the French soccer team) will defeat Italy and win the World Cup," he added.

Led by legend Zidane, France will go head-to-head against Italy on Berlin's 69,000-capacity Olympic Stadium in the world tournament final on Sunday.

The French team reached the final after winning a semi-final game against Portugal 1-0 by playmaker legend and three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Zidane.

Now, the French are only 90 minutes away from the second World Cup in eight years, the crowning achievement in a decade of glory that began when France, and Zidane, reached the semi-finals of the 1996 European Championship.

France won the 1998 World Cup against Brazil 3-0, two of which scored by Zidane.

Now a global audience of 1.5 billion will focus their gaze in the final to see if the French magician can pull off one last, glorious conjuring trick.

Glory

"It is really a source of pride that Zidane is of an Arab and Muslim origin," said Samira, a female fan of Algerian origin, told IOL.

"He has contributed to make France's football glory," she added.

As France booked a final World Cup place, thousands of French fans of immigrant origin took to the streets to celebrate the French win.

"Zidane is France's president... Mercy Zidane," was among the slogans chanted by the jubilant French.

The French fans are confident that their team is going to beat the Azzurri (Italy) because they hold the skeleton key.

"We have Zidane and they (Italy) don't," French defender Willy Sagnol told Agence France-Presse (AFP) Saturday.

Marcello Lippi, Zidane's manager of the French maestro for three years at Juventus, agreed.

"Zidane is probably the best player there has been in the past 20 years," he said.

France and Italy have met five times in major tournaments, in which the French team has beaten the Azzurri three times.

Their most recent victory over the Azzurri came in the final of Euro 2000, when Italy were just 17 seconds away from winning before France equalized and David Trezeguet struck a memorable golden goal winner.

Ribery

Zidane's expected successor, Frank Ribery, has also added to the jubilance of the French Muslims.

"Seeing Ribery while raising his hands and supplicating to God as any typical Muslims do makes me feel proud," said Hamid, of Moroccan origin.

The 23-year-old Ribery has stolen the limelight during France's opener in the World Cup against Switzerland when he was caught while raising his hands and supplicating to God as any other Muslims do.

"French Muslims feel that Ribery's supplication notice is a sign of dignity and honor for the French suburbanites, most of whom are of Muslim origin," Breze added.

Ribery, who did not make his international debut until late May, is expected to start the World Cup final on Sunday against Italy.

The 23-year-old forward has brought energy and pace to a veteran lineup, his fearless runs causing panic among opposing defenders and creating regular scoring opportunities.

Named to the World Cup roster without having played in an international game, Ribery showed his value during three tune-up matches when he entered in the second half.

The Olympique Marseille right-sided winger and midfielder is believed to have reverted to Islam after marrying a Muslim women, of Moroccan origin.

Though he rarely speaks about how he found the Muslim faith, he recently told Le Paris Match magazine that he felt "safe" with Islam.

France is home to some six to seven million Muslims, the largest Muslim minority in Europe.

http://islamonline.net/English/News/2006-07/08/04.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
07-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Are they proud of him after his flagrant headbuttery?

Wahid
07-09-2006, 09:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Are they proud of him after his flagrant headbuttery?
you have to admit it looked so bada** lol
but yea, i was rooting for italy

Muezzin
07-09-2006, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Vahid
you have to admit it looked so bada** lol
If by that you mean "Against the rules and thuggish", I agree.

but yea, i was rooting for italy
I'd only root for Italy if they had a Mario and a Luigi.

And I find France kind of impossible to root for. Though I do like Barthez's bald head, on a sort of Magpie level of 'oooh, it's shiny!'

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Wahid
07-09-2006, 09:21 PM
If by that you mean "Against the rules and thuggish", I agree.
no i meant it looked so perfectly executed so was the result, was like from a movie
and yea france has won many times already, and i didnt realy like how they won against portigal who out matched them and how they played overall

KAding
07-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Not much reason to be proud of Zidane in this Word Cup final :(. Unfortunately. Quite a bad end to his carreer. He is a great player though.

catmando
07-09-2006, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Not much reason to be proud of Zidane in this Word Cup final :(. Unfortunately. Quite a bad end to his carreer. He is a great player though.
I was rooting for France(I spent two years of my Army service there and my favorite singing group Il Divo has a Frenchman in it) until Zidane went crazy.

Trageudet's(sp) miss in the shootout was Karma.

Skillganon
07-10-2006, 12:57 AM
France lost. Nothing to be proud of now.

Wahid
07-10-2006, 01:49 AM
omg, i didnt know zidan was Muslim :heated: :heated:

mujahedeen2087
07-10-2006, 02:49 AM
this head butt incedent just makes muslims look terrible,

Trumble
07-10-2006, 04:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mujahedeen2087
this head butt incedent just makes muslims look terrible,

Nah... it just made Zidane look terrible. Such things happen in football, and it wouldn't even occur to anybody whether he was a muslim or not. He has described himself as a "non-practicing muslim", anyway.

Wahid
07-10-2006, 04:49 AM
so he is muslim.. lol i should have cheered france then

muslim_friend
07-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Zidane isn't muslim, as someone pointed out.. he's reported to have said.."I am a non-praying, non-practising muslim"... what's a muslim who doesn't pray?

catmando
07-11-2006, 12:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend
Zidane isn't muslim, as someone pointed out.. he's reported to have said.."I am a non-praying, non-practising muslim"... what's a muslim who doesn't pray?
What's a Jew who doesn't pray? They call themselves Secular Jews. They stay in the culture but don't acknowledge the Jewish god.

Can a Muslim be a Secular Muslim?

Sis786
07-11-2006, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by catmando
What's a Jew who doesn't pray? They call themselves Secular Jews. They stay in the culture but don't acknowledge the Jewish god.

Can a Muslim be a Secular Muslim?
We arent to judge who is and who isnt Muslim. Zidane says hes a Muslim but a non-practicing one, But he is still Muslim and God alone can judge!

As for Riberty is he Muslim too?

guyabano
07-11-2006, 02:53 PM
I will be honest:
Who cares if Zidane, or Ribery is a muslim? Who cares if Ronaldo or Rooney are Christians? It doesn't mean, that they play better or worser, no?

When Iran would play against USA, I look at the game from a sportive point of view, and not that I see Islam is playing against Christians !

Why must every topic always endup in religion matters or been made a political affair?

Sis786
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
I will be honest:
Who cares if Zidane, or Ribery is a muslim? Who cares if Ronaldo or Rooney are Christians? It doesn't mean, that they play better or worser, no?

When Iran would play against USA, I look at the game from a sportive point of view, and not that I see Islam is playing against Christians !

Why must every topic always endup in religion matters or been made a political affair?
Chill i asked a general question!!

guyabano
07-11-2006, 03:06 PM
What question ? My post was not referred to you, but in general !

Sis786
07-11-2006, 03:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by guyabano
What question ? My post was not referred to you, but in general !
I do apologise! its a really bad habbit like when you pakistani and you think every asian is also pakistani! its the way of nature lol ;D

guyabano
07-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Pakistani ? Where do you get this one? I'm from West-Europe, very small tiny country, nobody knows here!

mano_the_cat
07-11-2006, 08:10 PM
wow ... a pakistani-bashing is going on here :D .... well, muslims are muslims no matter what & where they are! all is upto Allah to decide ...

adeeb
07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
okay, in my opinion Zidane has did a right thing, at least not really bad thing.
he did that, the head-butt, because of some reasons of course. and he will tell us maybe this weekend ( based on today's newspaper). and the issue, he did that because Materazzi said terrorist and something bad bout his family.
and in my opinion that was really normal. Zidane is a human and nothing wrong with the head-butt.

------
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I think Zidane was right in what he did. :thumbs_up

Sis786
07-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Yeah im suprised thats all he done!

*noor
07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
i understand what Zidane did and the reason for it but its not something to be proud of really......anyways thats just my own opinion.

KAding
07-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I disagree, it is not 'right'. It isn't right on the football pitch and it wouldn't be right anywhere else.

At best it is understandable.

Muslim Soldier
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Franck Ribéry (born April 1, 1983, in Boulogne-sur-Mer) is a French football player who currently plays for Olympique Marseille either as an attacking midfielder or a left- or right-sided winger, and recently has been touted by the media as the successor to the French national team talisman Zinedine Zidane, due to his increasingly impressive performances. At the age of two he was thrown through the windshield in a car crash that resulted in scars on the right side of his face and his forehead.

Ribéry is a Muslim, having converted to Islam [1] around the time he married his muslim fiance Wahiba who is of Moroccan descent. He has adopted the Arabic name Bilal, saying "Islam is my source of strength either in or outside the playground.. I lead a difficult career and I was determined to find peace of mind, and I finally found Islam". [2][3] They have one daughter together, Hizya, who was born on July 18, 2005.

He started his playing career at his home town club US Boulogne and then moved to Olympique Alès, Brest and FC Metz in consecutive seasons. He signed a contract with Turkish club Galatasaray2005, and went on to help them win the 2005 Turkish Cup. But in June of that year, he abruptly left the Istanbul club and joined Olympique Marseille, the sixth club of his career. The move was a controversial one, especially in Turkey: Galatasaray claimed Ribéry's contract was still good, but Ribéry claimed the contract was void because the club's management owed him back wages. The case is under FIFA arbitration as of June 2006. The move to OM has since earned him top French player honors for the months of August, October and November 2005.

He was selected for the France squad for the FIFA World Cup 2006 in Germany. Recently, Ribéry has been linked with Arsenal, Manchester United and Olympique Lyonnais. He was asked during an interview whether he preferred Manchester United or Arsenal, and he answered Arsenal.[citation needed] After the World Cup final however, he had commented that his target destination is Man Utd, as he would like to work with French team mate Patrice Evra and much admires their manager, Sir Alex Ferguson. However according to a Sky Sports News report, Ribéry has said that he wants to leave Marseille for Lyon this summer. He later stated that he wanted a move to England to work with a French manager in a hint towards Arsenal, so his future remains unclear.[4]

On June 12, 2006, he was named in the starting lineup of the French team for their opener in the 2006 FIFA World Cup against Switzerland. His first international goal proved to be a crucial one, levelling France at 1-1 with Spain in the 41st minute of their knockout round match after calmly rounding the Spanish keeper, Iker Casillas. Though Spain were the favourites, France went on to win that game 3-1 to book a quarterfinal slot against Brazil.[5]

Upon facing Brazil on July 1, 2006, Ribéry was substituted in the 75th minute of the 1-0 victory following an impressive performance.[6]
in January

Muslim Soldier
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
KAding is right. Zidane did not do a right thing. Imagine the reaction of all the kids taking him as thier role model.

Muezzin
07-12-2006, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Soldier
KAding is right. Zidane did not do a right thing. Imagine the reaction of all the kids taking him as thier role model.
Well, they'd learn a really great heading technique. Eye on the ball, eye on the ball... BAM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.