/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sarajevo Remembers Srebrenica Victims

sonz
07-09-2006, 01:24 PM
SARAJEVO — Hundreds of people lined Sarajevo's main street Saturday, July 8, as a convoy carrying the remains of 505 Bosnian Muslims slaughtered in Srebrenica headed for burial 11 years after the 1995 massacre.

The crowd included survivors and relatives of people killed in Europe's worst atrocity since World War II, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP).

The victims, aged between 15 and 78, whose remains were found in mass graves and later identified by DNA analysis, will be buried on Tuesday at the eastern Bosnian town's memorial cemetery.

Thousands of people are expected to attend the joint funeral, including the UN chief war crimes prosecutor Carla Del Ponte.

More than 8,000 Muslim men and boys were massacred after Serb forces overran the town in July 1995. Their bodies were later found in more than 60 mass graves that have been exhumed around Srebrenica.

Some 2,000 victims have already been buried at the memorial cemetery, built in 2003, but thousands of others have yet to be identified as the search for more burial sites continues.

Bosnian Serb wartime leader Radovan Karadzic and his military chief Ratko Mladic, the two people considered most responsible for the massacre, remain at large.

The pair face charges of genocide for atrocities committed during the war, which claimed up to 200,000 victims.

Kosovo Trial

Meanwhile, a mammoth war crimes trial starts at the UN warcrimes court in the Hague on Monday of six top Serbian officials, including former president Milan Milutinovic, accused of atrocities committed by Serb troops during the 1998-99 crackdown on Kosovo.

Following the death of former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic in March the case has become pivotal for establishing what happened in Serbia's mainly ethnic-Albanian province of Kosovo from a legal point of view, reported AFP.

That is because much of the evidence that will be presented is expected to be similar to the prosecution's Kosovo case in the Milosevic trial.

The former Yugoslav president died suddenly on March 11 and his trial, the first to deal with the alleged Serb atrocities committed during the Kosovo war, was closed without the judges ruling on the evidence presented.

The men on trial Monday are accused of forming a joint criminal enterprise with Milosevic aimed at changing Kosovo's ethnic make-up "to ensure continued Serbian control over the province."

In the dock alongside ex-Serbian president Milutinovic will be the former Serbian prime minister Nikola Sainovic, two former Yugoslav army chiefs of staff — generals Dragoljub Ojdanic and Nebojsa Pavkovic -- and generals Vladimir Lazarevic and Sreten Lukic.

They face charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity over the forced deportation of some 800,000 Kosovo Albanian civilians, the murder of hundreds of Kosovo Albanians, including women and children, sexual assaults by the Serb troops and the destruction of Kosovo Albanian Muslim sites.

Another former Serbian general Vlastimir Djordjevic was initially indicted along with the other six but he is still on the run.

The Serb crackdown on Kosovo left hundreds of thousands of Kosovo Albanians internally displaced or fleeing the province to neighboring countries like Albania and Macedonia.

The world was shocked by the images of columns of disheveled Kosovo Albanians arriving at the borders who told stories of raided villages, burned homes and Serb brutality.

In March 1999 after peace talks collapsed, NATO launched airstrikes against targets in Serbia and Kosovo to force the Serb troops to retreat.

In June 1999 the bombing stopped after an agreement was reached with the Serb and Yugoslav troops in Kosovo to withdraw. Legally Kosovo remains a province of Serbia but it is now run by the United Nations and NATO.

In February of this year UN-sponsored talks on Kosovo's future status began, but so far the negotiations have produced no concrete results. The Kosovo Albanians are pushing for independence.

http://islamonline.net/English/News/2006-07/08/05.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
searchingsoul
07-09-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm not denying that there might be truth to this article. On the the other hand, one has to admit that it is pretty biased since it neglects to mention the atrocities commited by muslims. In my honest opinion whenever articles fail to paint an accurate picture they have been created solely for the intent of creating confusion and hatred.

Just some advice for anyone on here who does not remember the Balkan Wars, don't use this article for information.

sonz
07-09-2006, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
I'm not denying that there might be truth to this article. On the the other hand, one has to admit that it is pretty biased since it neglects to mention the atrocities commited by muslims. In my honest opinion whenever articles fail to paint an accurate picture they have been created solely for the intent of creating confusion and hatred.

Just some advice for anyone on here who does not remember the Balkan Wars, don't use this article for information.
searchingsoul

one thing that i hate is people trying to find something to blame on the muslims for something that is considered genocide by the the whole world.

thats like saying, lets blame the jews since some of them helped hitler commit holocaust against the jews.

the bosnian genocide and the ethnic cleansing is a crime against humanity.

masalama

Dahir
07-09-2006, 09:19 PM
I take sides with Sonz on this one.

And if the Bosnians did retaliate, I doubt it could ever be on the same scale as the Serb attacks and atrocities.

searchingsoul, I don't mean to call you a Nazi, but the only people who deny the Serb atrocities are Nazis, same goes for Holocaust deniers, there's far too much evidence proving the existence of such atrocities, and the counter-evidnence is most always made up or totally biased.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
searchingsoul
07-09-2006, 09:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
searchingsoul

one thing that i hate is people trying to find something to blame on the muslims for something that is considered genocide by the the whole world.

thats like saying, lets blame the jews since some of them helped hitler commit holocaust against the jews.

the bosnian genocide and the ethnic cleansing is a crime against humanity.

masalama
I agree with you sonz. But you can't deny that atrocities were commited against Serbs during the war (and prior as well). I was just trying to present a less biased account of the Balkan war.

Joe98
07-10-2006, 02:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
In March 1999 after peace talks collapsed, NATO launched airstrikes against targets in Serbia and Kosovo to force the Serb troops to retreat.

Serbs mostly killed Muslims and whole thing was a crime against humanity.

The NATO air strikes were used to stop the crimes against humanity.

This is evidence that the West is consistent.

Dahir
07-10-2006, 03:23 AM
This is evidence that the West is consistent.
I can't say the same about Rwanda, Uganda, the Sudan, Cambodia, El Salvador, and countless other situations where the West could care less.

The only times the West enters a "conflict" is for its own good:

Vietnam - Spread of "evil commie propaganda" and capital banks set up in Vietnam were threatened.

Somalia - Southern Red Sea has great positioning against Persian Gulf threats.

Bosnia - Small, regional conflicts in Europe are infamous for triggering much larger wars called "World Wars."

Iraq - This one's up to you, but everyone knows WHY

So, you see, the West is only consistent when something of value is presented at the forefront of every "conflict," it has nothing to do with caring about the victims.

However, I did like that you used the right quoting to highlight your beliefs, now those are consistent and well thought out.

GARY
07-10-2006, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
[B]The only times the West enters a "conflict" is for its own good:
Bosnia - Small, regional conflicts in Europe are infamous for triggering much larger wars called "World Wars."]
You actually would have been making a reasonable arguement if it were not for the inclusion of this point. Small regional conflicts in europe are infamous for starting world wars? HMM. We have had only two. I suppose there are differing views as to what started each, but small regional conflicts? I dunno.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.