/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Am I a Mushrik?

AnonymousPoster
07-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I am confused, mainly because of my lack of knowledge.

I do things in life which are good but I do them out of my own desire, and this confuses me as to where I stand in Islam.

I read in a book that for acts to be accepted two main things should be taken into consideration:

1 The act is done solely for Allah
2 It is done according to the Sunnah of the Prophet of Allah

Now, I have problems with the first, I recite Qu'ran but I do not think to myself I will do this solely for Allah, I do it because I want to, there are times where I just recite it because I love to and because I love the sound, does that mean I am following my desires?

Another thing I have a problem with is crying in prayer.

I cry alot in prayers in which the Imam recites outloud, and I find it hard not to make a noise, not loud but loud enough that people near me know what's happening, and if I do make a noise when I cry I start to worry, and it ruins my prayer because I start thinking 'what if I am commiting shirk by showing off' or something like that, then I worry that the people near me might think I am trying to show off and that I am a bad person and so all these wispers get to me, and I dont know what to do.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hijaabi22
07-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Bro/Sis all I can say is MASHAALLAH and you are worrying over nothin

DigitalStorm82
07-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Agreed.

It's a blessing.

Daffodil
07-10-2006, 04:22 PM
Asalamulaikum

Ur correct about only being rewarded if ur intention is doing something for the sake of Allah swt. However wen reading quran n stuff u might think ur doing it for ur benefit, which yes u are doing, but also for the sake of Allah because if it wasnt for him u wudnt be reading the quran, u wudnt want to find peace in the quran.

As for the crying, mashallah that u are able to do this, may Allah swt giv us all the ability to do this ameen. ignore those ppl, if at the end of the day what is being recited or sed is effecting u emotionaly n u cry, Allah swt knows ur intentions so let those tears flow. the prophet saw n sahaba etc used to cry loads n loads that their faces had tear trails, as in their skin was dented due to the tears. so dnt worry what other ppl think, as long as ur intentions are pure.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
07-11-2006, 11:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
I am confused, mainly because of my lack of knowledge.

I do things in life which are good but I do them out of my own desire, and this confuses me as to where I stand in Islam.

I read in a book that for acts to be accepted two main things should be taken into consideration:

1 The act is done solely for Allah
2 It is done according to the Sunnah of the Prophet of Allah

Now, I have problems with the first, I recite Qu'ran but I do not think to myself I will do this solely for Allah, I do it because I want to, there are times where I just recite it because I love to and because I love the sound, does that mean I am following my desires?

Another thing I have a problem with is crying in prayer.

I cry alot in prayers in which the Imam recites outloud, and I find it hard not to make a noise, not loud but loud enough that people near me know what's happening, and if I do make a noise when I cry I start to worry, and it ruins my prayer because I start thinking 'what if I am commiting shirk by showing off' or something like that, then I worry that the people near me might think I am trying to show off and that I am a bad person and so all these wispers get to me, and I dont know what to do.
:sl:

Doing anything for Allah alone doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel pleasure in what you do. It doesn't mean that you do it robotically without any emotion. Doing something for Allah alone means not associating partners with Him in the hope that someone other than Allah can give you what you want. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't feel any pleasure for yourself when doing these things for Allah. After all the pleasure you feel is from rememberance of Allah alone. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is a good thing that you feel this pleasure and you do thesethings for the great love youhave for Allah and notjust out of duty. That is a beautiful thing and in no way does is make you a mushrik. Your desires to do these things, are related to Allah alone. The most important thing is you are fulfilling your duties. If the driving force behind these acts is the great love you have for Allah and not just fear of Him, then what is wrong with that?

Hmm, if I say I intend to pray for Allah alone & fulfill my obligations so that Allah rewards me. So that He showers His blessings upon me. So that I don't burn in hell-fire? That'll be me just doing it to save my own skin na? Where's the love then? It'll be all about me na? If I don't feel pleasure in reciting His name, then I am not really 'feeling' Him na. Only you are fulfilling your duties with love and pleasure. That is wonderful bro.

But how about I say, I pray not only because it's fardh upon me, but to express my love and gratitude to Allah for all he has blessed me with? Because I love Him? Because praying/reciting His name makes me feel closer to Him. Because I am so grateful to Him and I love Him so much that when it's time for prayer I don't want to disappoint Him by not turning towards Him when He is waiting. If I say that I want to do it not just cuz I have to but because I want to. Would you say it'swrong? You wouldn't na?

There is nothing wrong with how you feel bro. You ARE doing all these things for Allah alone. Whether it is out of love or obligation or both, conciously or subconciously it is still for Allah. You are NOT a mushrik, no way!

And don't feel ashamed to cry when listening to the imaam reciting. Recently I began working from home and I put on a Quran cd full blast, so that I can hear it in the nextroom above the noise of my sewing machine. It did occur to me that my neighbours might think I am doing it to 'show off' by blasting it so high. But I knew why I did it and that was good enough for me. I know Allah knows too, so why should I worry about anyone else? Infact, a few days later my neighbour told me that they feel so relaxed when they hear the Quran and could I put it on louder, lol. :)

So what I'm saying is that if you know your niyah is pure then don't worry abt anyone else. Maybe others wish they could cry openly when listening to the imaam but they feel embarrased. Seeing you doing it might make them feel that it's ok for them to do it. If your tears are flowing for Allah, then let them flow freely. Just don't forget the mansize kleenex as ur nose will run too! :giggling:

These things are trivial and you mustn't let them worry you. The shaytaan is always putting doubts in our head, because he can't face the fact that a person is finding pleasure in Allah's rememberance and ignoring him. MashaAllah you are lucky that you feel so much pleasure in worshipping Allah. How can that ever be wrong?!

It's all good bro. Be happy inshaAllah.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.