/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Improve your literacy

limitless
07-10-2006, 09:24 AM
:sl:

How do I improve my current writing skill, proof read, and editing skills in english?
I really need help on this one and by the way good morning to all in Canada gmt -5 time :D

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
DaNgErOuS MiNdS
07-13-2006, 09:38 PM
YOu'll have to get some private tuition

Eddi
07-15-2006, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

How do I improve my current writing skill, proof read, and editing skills in english?
I really need help on this one and by the way good morning to all in Canada gmt -5 time :D

:sl: Do more reading, and try writing short stories. That might help.

limitless
07-17-2006, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
YOu'll have to get some private tuition

Brothers, thank you for the advice, but I am not looking for private tuition, that should have been very clear and obivious. It is the reason; I asked here an alternative solution rather than to pay for it because I do not need such a tuition, just to improvise my current literacy skill.
Yes I have been reading various novels to articles and newspaper, which is many.

I have found my faults and are currently in work, to correct them. They are that my editing skill, which is very weak.

Thank you to both of you for the advice. Appericate it very much.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sevgi
07-17-2006, 06:13 AM
when u say editing skills, i understand that u have problems checking work u have written or completed works ...like, u cant see the mistakes u have made or do not no how to better the work...

my advice to u as a budding english teacher would be to write a lot...write (i know it sounds a bit effeminate) short stories, journal entries, wateva, and read through your work...as u do so, u will come to realise a trend with mistakes u are making. u will no when something just doesnt sound right. as u read the novels u are currently reading, u may find answers as to the way your flaws may be corrected. then u will be able to edit easily...u need to know what is wrong and what needs to be done in order to be able to edit successfully. dnt try to edit something by looking at some english buffs writing...edit in a way which sounds correct to u.

little advice: never trust urself more than Allah when it comes to English work becoz its so broad...pray to him for help...He is Al-Aliym...(All-knowledgable)... He will help u with ur editing inshallah...no need for private tuition...:)

limitless
07-25-2006, 02:34 AM

Subnallah respone sister, May Allah reward you in this world and hereafter.
I have already been doing that and writing as much as I can. I have taken ENG3U1, a University level course in the high school I currently finishing, or will be in the september of 2006 (my third year commences then). Again, Thank you very much! Appericate it.

Sweet_Boy
07-27-2006, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eddi
:sl: Do more reading, and try writing short stories. That might help.
took the words out of my mouth , more reading will give you more idea's about how things are and writing stories will help like you will be no stranger to writing and you ll start growing in confidence and get more used to it

Kittygyal
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

well basically start off by getting a ABC book :X no seriously go to college/school hmm or get a teacher at your house or maybe start of writing hort stories and get someone to check them for you like posting them here

Muezzin
07-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Hmm, the only thing I can recommend for improving proof-reading is practice. However, to correct grammatical and spelling errors, you have to know what to look for - and the best way to know what to look for is to see how others have done it correctly.

So, as everyone else here has said: read. Read very widely. Read fiction and non-fiction; novels to newspapers to encyclopedias. This will also help you distinguish between different styles of writing, and will help you to find an appropriate writing 'voice' when you are doing an assignment, for example.

Also, don't spend too much time on Internet forums as they can quite easily send your literacy skills down the toilet.

REPSTER
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Why bother sack it and chill with da still:rock:

i hardly ever read and english is still easy or dont take it 4 GCSE or A levels:brother:

czgibson
08-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Greetings,

I'm an English teacher, and a while ago I started an English Department here on the forum. Hopefully there might be something there that could help you out.

In general, though, as people have said, the best way to learn how to write well is to read as much as you can.

Peace

snakelegs
08-09-2006, 01:44 AM
this is a wonderful site for those who want to improve their english
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/le...sh/index.shtml

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.