/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 20 Ways to show off!

Far7an
07-10-2006, 02:15 PM
:sl:

I hope none of you came to this thread hoping to learn how to show off!

This is an article by Shaykh Salmaan ibn Fahd al-'Awdah..

I'll list the 20 ways and add descriptions for some, and give the link for the full article:

1. Publicizing one’s good deeds
Some people go around intentionally taking about the things they have done, boasting about their virtues. They cannot sit with others without saying: “I did this and I did that… I spent so much in charity.” Sometimes they can be a bit more subtle, like saying: “Actually, I cannot stay up in prayer at night more than two hours…” or: “Unfortunately, I cannot cope with fasting every day, so I must suffice with fasting on Mondays and Thursdays…” In this way, they want to show others just how much they are praying and fasting.

2. Making false claims
3. Becoming a show off after having been sincere
4. Abandoning deeds because of the people
5. Making worship noticeable in a subtle way

6. Conspicuous humility: A person might make a show of deprecating himself, stating all the time how deficient he is. He says how he does no good works and how his deeds are not enough. All he means by all this is to make a display of his humility.

7. Bringing attention to the faults of others
8. Safeguarding one’s status and reputation
9. Speaking about matters in a way that alludes to the idea that one is engaged in them
10. Putting oneself on a pedestal
11. Refuting the people of knowledge

12. Seeking knowledge to acquire fame
A person may be incited by Satan to seek religious knowledge and to study it extensively with the sole purpose of becoming a muftî who people will come to with their questions, or a scholar whose name will go down in history, or maybe an Islamic activist who people will rally around.

13. Feigning humility
Satan may incite a person to make a pretentious show of modesty and humbleness. He will clasp his hands together, raise his shoulders, and lower his head in an insincere and inordinate display of submissiveness. Often the behaviors exhibited in these displays go against the Sunnah of Allah’s Messenger (peace be upon him). `Abd Allah al-Qurashî relates that `Umar b. al-Khattâb once saw a young man lowering his head in prayer. `Umar said to him: “Raise your head. Humbleness does not increase on what is actually in the heart. Whenever people make their humbleness visible, they are just making a visible display of hypocrisy. (Al-Daynûrî, al-Majâlisah (1692, 3434).)
14. Overemphasizing certain conspicuous works, even to the point of going against the Sunnah
15. Making a show of religious zeal
16. Conspicuously neglecting one’s outward appearance
17. Making a display of lowering one’s gaze
18. Abandoning one’s worship from fear of falling into hypocrisy
19. Withdrawing from the company of others and going into seclusion
20. Being deceived by some fleeting act of devotion

You can read the full article here.

So... Are you a show off?! (You don't have to answer that).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
07-10-2006, 02:19 PM

Subhanallah, some of them i would never have guessed could be taken as showing off, such as:

18. Abandoning one’s worship from fear of falling into hypocrisy
19. Withdrawing from the company of others and going into seclusion
:offended:

Far7an
07-10-2006, 02:20 PM

Yes..

18. Abandoning one’s worship from fear of falling into hypocrisy:
Among the most serious of problems is when Satan fools somebody into abandoning his worship of Allah to avoid being a hypocrite or being called one. Take, for example, a reciter of the Qur’ân, a teacher, or an Islamic worker who falls into some unseen sinful acts on some occasions, like looking at someone unlawfully. Such a person should repent to Allah and try to avoid falling into the sin again. Satan, though, does not give up that easy. He suggests to that person that he is a hypocrite, since he presents an image of piety to the people but commits sins in secret.
Now, Satan is not going to suggest as a solution tha t the person should strive to overcome his sins and rectify himself. Instead, Satan encourages him to give up the good works that he is doing and to forsake the company of righteous people. He encourages him to give up teaching others and leading prayers. His argument is that it is not fitting for that individual to do such outwardly good deeds while sinning inwardly. Satan may say to him something like: “If the people know what you do when you are alone, they would spit in your face and avoid you like the plague.” Satan keeps at him like this until he gives up doing any good deeds.
Allah says: “And establish regular prayers at the two ends of the day and at the approaches of the night. Indeed, good works remove evil deeds. This is a reminder for those who are mindful.” [Sûrah Hûd: 114]

19. Withdrawing from the company of others and going into seclusion:
A person may turn away from the company of his fellow men and eschew their company because he thinks he is better than they are. If he had, on the other hand, decided to avoid others so they could be safe from his harm and abuse, he may have had a point. This is what Imam Ahmad did when he limited his interactions with others at the end of his life. People said to him: “O Imam! It is being said that you are renouncing the company of others.”
Imam Ahmad replied: “Who am I to renounce other people? Quite the contrary, it is the people who are renouncing my company.”
It is wrong to renounce the company of people out of a sense of superiority to them. This is nothing but pride and arrogance. It is a way of praising oneself. In a hadîth it is related:
“Whoever says: ‘The people are in ruination!’ is the most ruined of the lot." Sahîh Muslim (2623)

x Maz x
07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
AsalaamuAlaykum,
Bismillah, Hope your in the highest level of health & Iman,
I hope none of you came to this thread hoping to learn how to show off!
Ahem Nah course not *looks cautiasly around and tries to maintain her cool*...Das the only reason I did come here for...*eyes rolly*...Nah jowking, Informative post, Allah reward you! BarakAllahu feekhum akhi...
Wa'AlaykumAsalaam
fi amanAllah x

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
07-10-2006, 03:15 PM
LOL Good one.......

This can be used as a counter against showing off....Just do opposite. :)

Helena
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Shukran for sharing bro..something we need to look out.....

*noor
07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
very good thread mashaAllah

Ryu Kazama
07-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Showing off isn't very good I'm told. Especially in Islam.

Far7an
07-10-2006, 04:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ryu Kazama
Showing off isn't very good I'm told. Especially in Islam.
You're right, it isn't. The article is not showing how to show off, rather showing how others show off.

Daffodil
07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Asalamulaikum

Wow reading that just goes to show how easy it is to show off, even sometimes without intending to show off we can fall into these traps without even realising.

May Allah swt save us from this ameen.

Ryu Kazama
07-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I personally don't say anything because of fear of showing off, I'm always quiet.

Umar001
07-10-2006, 06:37 PM
I dont get no4. but no need to xplain it its ok.

n I dont get the leave the company of someone what if the people are bad, not that your better but you notice that when ur with them you do haram stuff but when ur not then u are not as bad

IbnAbdulHakim
07-10-2006, 06:39 PM
mashALlah, this si getting added to my LI book and printed out.

mashAllah!!

:salamext:

amirah_87
07-10-2006, 10:49 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

jazaakallaahu kahyran akhee....Ar-riyaa shirk!! ...showing off is a form of ash-shirk al-asqar!!...Nauudubillah min daalik!! :heated:

wa alaykum ass salaam

IbnAbdulHakim
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
min daalik

^^ :?

Sunflower
07-11-2006, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
min daalik

^^ :?

it means from that

IbnAbdulHakim
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
jazakAllah khair

Ameeratul Layl
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Salam,

Brother Far7an, could you provide the source? JazakAllah.

Wasalam.

Far7an
07-11-2006, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
Salam,

Brother Far7an, could you provide the source? JazakAllah.

Wasalam.
Wa alaikum asalaam

It's all in the first post. I gave the name of the author and the link for the article.

This is an article by Shaykh Salmaan ibn Fahd al-'Awdah..
and
You can read the full article here.

Ameeratul Layl
07-11-2006, 01:31 PM

JazakAllah brother Farhan.

:w:

Mawaddah
07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an

Yes..

Among the most serious of problems is when Satan fools somebody into abandoning his worship of Allah to avoid being a hypocrite or being called one. Take, for example, a reciter of the Qur’ân, a teacher, or an Islamic worker who falls into some unseen sinful acts on some occasions, like looking at someone unlawfully. Such a person should repent to Allah and try to avoid falling into the sin again. Satan, though, does not give up that easy. He suggests to that person that he is a hypocrite, since he presents an image of piety to the people but commits sins in secret.
Now, Satan is not going to suggest as a solution tha t the person should strive to overcome his sins and rectify himself. Instead, Satan encourages him to give up the good works that he is doing and to forsake the company of righteous people. He encourages him to give up teaching others and leading prayers. His argument is that it is not fitting for that individual to do such outwardly good deeds while sinning inwardly. Satan may say to him something like: “If the people know what you do when you are alone, they would spit in your face and avoid you like the plague.” Satan keeps at him like this until he gives up doing any good deeds.
Allah says: “And establish regular prayers at the two ends of the day and at the approaches of the night. Indeed, good works remove evil deeds. This is a reminder for those who are mindful.” [Sûrah Hûd: 114]

Masha'allah I was reading about this exact same thing when I was doing research yesterday in Fath al-Baaree......Very informative article Brother. May Allah protect us from showing off no matter which may it might be Ameen.

07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
Jazakallah khair brother!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM

I might know of someone who doesnt pray sometimes because he just feels like his forcing himself to do it and he feels as though it wont be accepted, what do i say to this person :?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.