/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are American’s isolated from the rest of the word?

iLL_LeaT
07-10-2006, 07:25 PM
The other day I was watching the World New (a British news program) on a public access channel, and I knottiest that it really does talk about what is going on around world. It’s not all about celebrities and random minuscule tragedies.

The American new has almost nothing about what is going on around the world.

Do you think Americans are isolated from most outside information?

If you think so, why do you think that is?

Request: Could you state what country you are from? I’m curious to see if there is a general consensus between some countries.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
07-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I'm in the USA and yes I feel we are somewhat Isolated from much of the world. It seems that many People know what happens in the USA but we have little information as to what is happening outside of the Americas. I do not think it is because of any type of conspiracy. The News Media operates by profit. We only see the news that attracts sponsors and will assure a profit. If it is public interest, that gets relegated to the back pages and free sources.

wilberhum
07-10-2006, 07:44 PM
This is getting old, I agree with Woodrow again. I’m US citizen but I have lived in four other countries, Australia, Italy, Japan, and India. All of them are much more into international news than the US. I find most US citizens have little concern about what happens out side there borders. I also had little concern before my international experiences.

iLL_LeaT
07-10-2006, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
This is getting old, I agree with Woodrow again. I’m US citizen but I have lived in four other countries, Australia, Italy, Japan, and India. All of them are much more into international news than the US. I find most US citizens have little concern about what happens out side there borders. I also had little concern before my international experiences.
Isn’t that intestine though? For being in a county that is so concerned with what everyone else is doing, why does the general public know so little about what is going on?

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The News Media operates by profit. We only see the news that attracts sponsors and will assure a profit.
You see, I find what is going on in the world more intestine then Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. But then again, I’m not the general public.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
07-10-2006, 07:55 PM
i'm an american.
yes, i think americans are isolated from the rest of the world. most people i meet are amazingly ignorant, but seem to be content to remain so.
i don't have/don't want a TV but every so often, when i stay in a motel, i turn on the news - is really scary what they are fed - most of it is fluff and just pure crap.
now there is really no excuse to confine yourself to american media - if you have a computer there is no need to be isolated from the rest of the world.
some of the isolation i think comes from simple geography - we're a huge nation with only 2 shored borders. so to an extent, we are somewhat isolated from the rest of the world.
i must add however, that in recent years people seem to be somewhat more aware that there is a world out there. all the immigration has really helped, i think.

KAding
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Well, if you want information about the world it definately exists in the US. They have some of the better international magazines, especially at the scholary level. The newspapers are quite good as well, I think the New York Times and Washington Post provide plenty of international news.

Yet, I agree the mainstream TV news is pretty pathetic. So I would say, for those who are interested in foreign affairs and international stories there are plenty of sources. Yet, 'ordinary' people who don't read the big newspapers will probably be underinformed.

snakelegs
07-10-2006, 08:11 PM
KAding,
i agree - those are by far the best 2 newspapers. ideally, to really be informed, you should listen/read things from many different sources.
the fact that most americans get their news from TV is not a cheerful thing to ponder....

Rou
07-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Hmmm how intresting i never noiced that ...

so your saying the worldnews for exmple is not as dominant in america as it is in other countries?

is this due to the land mass that is in america??

as in its not only one country its also news from around america as in each state and then i guess comes the world news??

intresting...

Looking4Peace
07-10-2006, 08:14 PM
I agree most Americans are isolated, i myself always research news in other nations as well as talk to people from other countries, unfortunately some americans dont do this and live in areas where they are only exposed to the same type of people, gotta love nyc for not being stuck like that :statisfie

KAding
07-10-2006, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iLL_LeaT
Isn’t that intestine though? For being in a county that is so concerned with what everyone else is doing, why does the general public know so little about what is going on?
Mostly because of the commercialization of the American media. In other countries the media is usually paid for (and semi-controlled) by the government, which feels it has an obligation to educate its people. The US media however, brings the people what they want to hear, which is mostly local news and stuff about crime.

You see, I find what is going on in the world more intestine then Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. But then again, I’m not the general public.
Again, there is plenty of real debate on international affairs in the US. It is however limited to a section of the population. I don't think any other countries produces as many scientific journals or books on international affairs as the US. But you will not learn much from the evening news, you have to dig deeper and do things like *gasp* read a national newspaper ;).

iLL_LeaT
07-10-2006, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
You have to dig deeper and do things like *gasp* read a national newspaper ;).
Yes, maybe I should. I would like to get the New York Times but I live on the west-cost in the city. Can’t really get anything delivered because no one can get into my apartment building. And none of the news paper venders hold the New York Time. But I will look into how I can get it.

iLL_LeaT
07-10-2006, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
Can't you browse through some of the stuff online?
http://www.nytimes.com/
Well yes, but...

I would prefer to not read for long periods of time off of my monitor. I find myself grazing over the information then (I can’t stand reading e-books because of that)

IbnAbdulHakim
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Interesting. And just what is the effect of the mass population not being aware of whats happening outside America... do you think it causes them to judge and maybe even "vote" without understanding but by just seeing one point of view...

Just wondering.

wilberhum
07-10-2006, 09:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
Interesting. And just what is the effect of the mass population not being aware of whats happening outside America... do you think it causes them to judge and maybe even "vote" without understanding but by just seeing one point of view...

Just wondering.
In a word, YES.

iLL_LeaT
07-10-2006, 09:23 PM
In a word, YES.

Yes, I agree

I would be interested in seeing a survey that tackles this subject. How many Americans think they are bialy being exposed to bills that they vote on? Yes that would be a good national survey. It would also be intestine to see how the people answered from state to state.

wilberhum
07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Yes, I agree

I would be interested in seeing a survey that tackles this subject. How many Americans think they are bialy being exposed to bills that they vote on? Yes that would be a good national survey. It would also be intestine to see how the people answered from state to state.
I doubt that a survey would back what we are saying. I think few Americans see themselves that way. I never thought of myself that way untill I wasn't that way.

searchingsoul
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I mostly live in the US. I agree that most Americans are not aware of international news. Someone mentioned that we are a huge nation and this is true. The vastness of our country probably limits our interest to a degree. Also, a lot of Americans are content with their lives and have little if any interest in visiting or living in other countries. I have often thought that the interest other countries have with the US is largely due to the large number of their people who would like to relocate to the US.

wilberhum
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
a lot of Americans are content with their lives and have little if any interest in visiting or living in other countries
I think this is very true. We have soooooooooooooo much we fail to see the value in how others live and think.

iLL_LeaT
07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
We fail to see the value in how others live and think.
Words of wisdom right there!

Dahir
07-10-2006, 09:52 PM
It's totally true! I was a bit "isolated" until I started watching public TV like the BBC, and I started talking to "outsiders" in political chat rooms and forums, then my eyes opened. I, just two years ago, had never spoken to an "outsider." NO MORE FOX OR CNN!!!

IbnAbdulHakim
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
It's totally true! I was a bit "isolated" until I started watching public TV like the BBC, and I started talking to "outsiders" in political chat rooms and forums, then my eyes opened. I, just two years ago, had never spoken to an "outsider." NO MORE FOX OR CNN!!!
its too true !

Why is america like this for :?

Anyway the internet is a gateway to the outside so no more hiding anything :)

KAding
07-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Yes, I agree

I doubt Americans are worse informed about their own domestic politics. Most of the bills being dealt with are obviously about domestic affairs. Foreign affairs has never been very much an issue in which the popular will is the main driving force. Foreign policy is not driven by the masses, it is driven by think tanks, scholars and those in the state and defense department.

I think we should be careful not to exaggerate the supposed ignorance of Americans on international events and especially its influence on policy. Those who make the decisions on these matters in the US are far from ignorant. In general I will wager that there is more knowledge and analytical power in the US on the matter of international relations than in most other countries.

iLL_LeaT
07-10-2006, 10:57 PM
I doubt Americans are worse informed about their own domestic politics.
I’m not calling Americans ignorant on there own politics (well maybe a little). I don’t know how bills in the Netherlands are written, but here in the States, every bill written is quite confusing to read. There are pages and pages of confusing BS, it takes a lot of work to read just one bill. It’s no easy read. I’m guessing few Americans read every bill, I don’t. And after reading a bill, it is hard to know exactly what the full effect of that bill passing will have. So most people trust television commercials to tell them what loop holes there will be and the effects of voting in that bill will have. However, those commercials are paid by large corporations and politicians who will benefit from a bill being passed or not passed.

So what do you do? Not listen to the commercials and read the damn bill. Easer said then done. The bills are very confusing. You would, pretty much, have to hire a lawyer to know exactly what the bill was saying.

Foreign affairs has never been very much an issue in which the popular will is the main driving force. Foreign policy is not driven by the masses, it is driven by think tanks, scholars and those in the state and defense department.
I don't know what this has to do with what I said, but okay.

I think we should be careful not to exaggerate the supposed ignorance of Americans on international events and especially its influence on policy.
You do that! but I think we (the general public of America) are kept ignorant so the powerful can stay powerful

Those who make the decisions on these matters in the US are far from ignorant.
The people who "make the decisions” are not the people who vote for those decisions. The people who write the bills are very smart, but their interests are rarely the interests of the public. In fact, they are so smart, they know how to get people to vote in there best interest, even if it isn’t in the voter's best interest.

Joe98
07-10-2006, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
I have often thought that the interest other countries have with the US is largely due to the large number of their people who would like to relocate to the US

I am aware that many Americans believe this to be true. It is not.

America does not have the biggest and best of everything. But when a subject is being discussed, the views of Americans are worth hearing and that is where the interest arises.

I am Australian and we get global news. Sometimes a little country has an annual festival and a bit of footage is shown and some background is provided.

As a result a learn a little something about that country and it's culture even if its only for 2 or 3 minutes. This will then colour my outlook on a subject discussed on forums such as this.

Australians like to work in America but live in Australia.

Dahir
07-10-2006, 11:10 PM
You all have good points, and your assumptions are 100% TRUE!! It's like you hit the bulls eye, literally, with this one:

For One: The only "aware" American I'd EVER met was my AP Government teacher, but he was laid off because some of the kids thought he was exposing too much of the world. He was a great teacher, maybe above American expectations. Sad, he's not around anymore.

List of "Ignorant Encounters" I've had:

My 9th Grade Civics teacher taught my entire class, and insisted that the US and UK created Israel because they fealt sorry for Holocaust victims; you make the call, but that is one stupid assumption coming from a Social Studies teacher!

My 9th Grade Civics class was given a geography test; I got 148% on the test because I added the capitals of half the nations on the test, which was the entire world. The average score was 13%!!! That means they could only name about 20 nations in the entire world!!

All of my teachers closely follow and believe the words of Bill O'Reilly; that says it all!

Joe98
07-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Americans .....are content with their lives and have little if any interest in visiting or living in other countries.

Incredible!

Visiting other countries is wonderful!

Try the food in Bavaria, Peru, Japan, Turkey etc etc. You'll never want to go home again!

searchingsoul
07-11-2006, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
I am aware that many Americans believe this to be true. It is not.

America does not have the biggest and best of everything. But when a subject is being discussed, the views of Americans are worth hearing and that is where the interest arises.

I am Australian and we get global news. Sometimes a little country has an annual festival and a bit of footage is shown and some background is provided.

As a result a learn a little something about that country and it's culture even if its only for 2 or 3 minutes. This will then colour my outlook on a subject discussed on forums such as this.

You make some valid points. I wasn't even thinking about Australia or other privileged countries when I typed my statement.

searchingsoul
07-11-2006, 12:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
Incredible!

Visiting other countries is wonderful!

Try the food in Bavaria, Peru, Japan, Turkey etc etc. You'll never want to go home again!
Of course it's great to visit other countries. I've known very few people in the USA to actually visit countries other than Mexico and Canada (perhaps a cheap cruise in the Caribbean). The fact is that most people are prohibited from world travel due to lack of money. I suppose when one accepts the fact that they have only a specific amount of disposable income it often makes more sense to send their kids to college (which is very expensive in the USA, and not covered by the government), save for retirement, etc...

Also, I'm unsure about Australia but when I worked in the international department for a large corporation, I found that most of the world had far more vacation days (holiday) than the typical American. lol

I think that most people in the USA refrain from international travel for the mere fact that it is too expensive to even dream about.

Looking4Peace
07-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Of course it's great to visit other countries. I've known very few people in the USA to actually visit countries other than Mexico and Canada (perhaps a cheap cruise in the Caribbean). The fact is that most people are prohibited from world travel due to lack of money. I suppose when one accepts the fact that they have only a specific amount of disposable income it often makes more sense to send their kids to college (which is very expensive in the USA, and not covered by the government), save for retirement, etc...

Also, I'm unsure about Australia but when I worked in the international department for a large corporation, I found that most of the world had far more vacation days (holiday) than the typical American. lol

I think that most people in the USA refrain from international travel for the mere fact that it is too expensive to even dream about.

lol thats me, i been to Mexico, Canada and Puerto Rico, but i am a student with limited income, im lucky i was able to pull all that together, but even going to those places was interesting and each was completely different then in the U.S, i want to travel to as many places as possible some day.

wilberhum
07-11-2006, 04:54 PM
iLL_LeaT
You do that! but I think we (the general public of America) are kept ignorant so the powerful can stay powerful
How did I know that it would come to this? Is this another Conspiracy Theory?
Please explain just how we are “Kept Ignorant”.

wilberhum
07-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Joe98
I am aware that many Americans believe this to be true. It is not. (the large number of their people who would like to relocate to the US)
Want to put some $’s on that? Every 1st world country that has a successful democracy has a large number of people who want to relocate there. That includes that country “Down Under”.

Now that is a true statement. But Australia is kind of an exception. Things are much more expensive Australia than in the US and usually wages are lower. (at least that was the way it was 10 years ago) But all in all I found the quality of life in Australia superior to that of the US.

I am Australian and we get global news
That is where I got my interest in global news. I found that Aussies very interested in international dealings. I think the average Aussie knows as much about American Politicizes as the average American.

iLL_LeaT
07-11-2006, 05:34 PM
How did I know that it would come to this? Is this another Conspiracy Theory?
Please explain just how we are “Kept Ignorant”.
Well not exactly "Kept Ignorant.”

I’m not calling Americans stupid, just not fully informed on the laws they vote on.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think Americans are illiterate or anything. By ignorant, I mean they don’t fully know.

I guess this is where the “conspiracy theory” comes in.

Large corporations and politicians, however, do know exactly what they are voting on. And they are only looking out for themselves. And that is fine; that’s all anyone does. However, corporations and politicians put out these “advertisements” to manipulate people into voting their way. Why, for the benefit of the public? Come on.

I guess I wasn’t aware that saying that those advertisements are bias is considered a “conspiracy theory,” but okay.

Anyway, if it is, I want to stop talking about it because I don’t need another thread closed from this.:X

wilberhum
07-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Well not exactly "Kept Ignorant.”
Well that was exactly what you said. Thoes that are ignorant are that way because they don't that the time or care enough to educate themselves. No one is "Keeping them Ignorant".

iLL_LeaT
07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Well that was exactly what you said. Thoes that are ignorant are that way because they don't that the time or care enough to educate themselves. No one is "Keeping them Ignorant".
Yes that is what I said, but I also said "not exactly 'Kept Ignorant.'" (Talk about selective hearing)

If you want to get technical, here is a definition for “ignorant.”

Ignorant: lacking knowledge and education in general or in a specific subject.

Now I think it would be safe to say that most Americans don’t know exactly what they are voting for. In turn, they would be ignorant in what they vote for.

Thoes that are ignorant are that way because they don't that the time or care enough to educate themselves.
Again, I’m not calling Americans generally stupid. However, the public is not educated on what the full effect of each bill passing will have. So if they are not being fully educated, they are being “kept ignorant.”

Are you really not getting what I am saying, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.