/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Muslim worker can wear tailored-made Hijab

sonz
07-11-2006, 10:05 AM
The largest theme park in Sweden changed its uniform regulations after a Muslim female worker who was banned from wearing the Hijab reported her managers to the discrimination ombudsman, SR International reported.

The Muslim worker was denied a summer job at the Liseberg amusement park in Gothenburg because she refused to take off her Islamic headscarf and long-armed top.

According to the local newspaper Göteborgs Posten, the woman has been given just two thousand dollars in compensation after reporting her bosses to the discrimination ombudsman, which ruled that she can wear a tailored-made Islamic dress in the theme park’s colors.

A recent survey by the National Integration Board showed that veiled Muslim women in Sweden aren’t only discriminated against but are also violently attacked.

The Hijab is meant to protect Muslim women from the eyes of men outside their families. It has been the subject of heated debate in several European countries for more than a decade.

In 2004, a Hijab ban was imposed on all female Muslim teachers and students in all state schools in France, where Muslims make up about 8% of the population.

In Germany, home to about 5 million Muslims, eight states banned public school teachers from wearing the Islamic headscarf. And in the capital, Berlin, all civil servants are banned from wearing the Hijab.

And last December, the Dutch parliament voted to ban Burqas, which are already banned in the Belgian town of Maaseik.

However, many Muslims in Europe succeeded in integrating themselves into their societies, while preserving their Islamic values and identities - following the basic governing Islamic rule in the relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims: peaceful co-existence. The hard work has led to the recognition of Muslims in many European states, which has seen many Muslims entering the political process.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sis786
07-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Well done sis and you get 2k mind sharing!!

HeiGou
07-11-2006, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Well done sis and you get 2k mind sharing!!
How about a little "well done Sweden"? You don't think that the Swedes deserve any praise for their generosity and good sense?

Compare and contrast with, oh I don't know, Saudi Arabia.

searchingsoul
07-13-2006, 06:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
[B]

A recent survey by the National Integration Board showed that veiled Muslim women in Sweden aren’t only discriminated against but are also violently attacked.

What would be the root cause of these violent attacks? You'll never be able to convince me that it is the mere fact that women want to wear a headcovering.

I would NEVER justify violence due to a headcovering but I think that deeper issues need to be examined before hijab discrimination is addressed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sis786
07-13-2006, 07:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou
How about a little "well done Sweden"? You don't think that the Swedes deserve any praise for their generosity and good sense?

Tut tut tut :heated: :heated: Negative agian, Why shoudl Sweden be thanked for allowing a women to wear want she wants! NO WAY! Well done to the Sister for not giving in for the job and taking this further. How many other Sisters will benefit from her steps!

The Swedish only undid what they did and obvs they were in the wrong to pay out!!

HeiGou
07-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Tut tut tut :heated: :heated: Negative agian, Why shoudl Sweden be thanked for allowing a women to wear want she wants! NO WAY! Well done to the Sister for not giving in for the job and taking this further. How many other Sisters will benefit from her steps!

The Swedish only undid what they did and obvs they were in the wrong to pay out!!
Well obviously because Saudi Arabia does not. The Hijab is something that offends many Westerners, but the Swedes have let this woman wear it. They have recognised her rights. The lack of Hijab is something that offends many Muslims, but they do not give non-Muslim women, much less Muslimas, a choice. They do not recognise their right to choose.

So why shouldn't we stop and spend two seconds thinking how nice it is of the Swedes to put their prejudices away and let a woman wear what she wanted? Or perhaps we could stop and spend two seconds thinking how nice it would be if other people put their prejudices away and let women wear what they want?

Sis786
07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Well obviously because Saudi Arabia does not. The Hijab is something that offends many Westerners, but the Swedes have let this woman wear it. They have recognised her rights. The lack of Hijab is something that offends many Muslims, but they do not give non-Muslim women, much less Muslimas, a choice. They do not recognise their right to choose.

So why shouldn't we stop and spend two seconds thinking how nice it is of the Swedes to put their prejudices away and let a woman wear what she wanted? Or perhaps we could stop and spend two seconds thinking how nice it would be if other people put their prejudices away and let women wear what they want?
Saudi Arabia is following the Shariah Law and i agree with you women should have the option to wear what they want unless they attend a certain area that is holy and to respect the religion must cover up!

I attened church on many occassions and we all had to cover up its respect!

As for Saudi im the first to admit that they a load of twisted ppl meaning the royals!

HeiGou
07-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Saudi Arabia is following the Shariah Law and i agree with you women should have the option to wear what they want unless they attend a certain area that is holy and to respect the religion must cover up!
I agree Saudi Arabia is following Sharia, but don't they enforce more than Sharia actually demands?

In any event your law says to force women to cover. Some Europeans' law, and all their customs, say women ought not cover up so much. Would it be alright if Sweden passed laws banning Hijab?

I think Sweden deserves praise for being moderate. I am obviously alone in that.

Dawud_uk
07-13-2006, 04:35 PM

i agree heigou,

well done sweden for this one, pity their scandanavian neighbours cant learn a thing or two from them.

peace be upon those who follow righteous guidence,

Daw'ud

Sis786
07-13-2006, 04:36 PM
I think Sweden deserves praise for being moderate. I am obviously alone in that.
Hmm i can see where you coming from seeing that France and etc banned the headscarf but Swedens have done what is rightfully right and so GOOD on them!

ok HeiGou GOD you obsessed with debating with me!:thankyou:

Dawud_uk
07-13-2006, 04:37 PM

heigou,

if you believed as we do that God had commanded women to cover themselves and for men to cover themselves also (though to a lesser extent) then you would like us also think it was a good thing to make people do this.

peace,

Daw'ud

HeiGou
07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
ok HeiGou GOD you obsessed with debating with me!:thankyou:
It's that donkey. I just look into those big brown eyes and how can I resist?

Also you're one of the more sane posters. I like to think I can have a civilised disagreement with you. I aim no higher.

HeiGou
07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
if you believed as we do that God had commanded women to cover themselves and for men to cover themselves also (though to a lesser extent) then you would like us also think it was a good thing to make people do this.
I would like to think that I would believe it was right for women to do so and that they ought to be encouraged to do so, but Hadith aside, you cannot drag people to Heaven in chains. Nor whip them. Nor should you try.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.