/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Photos

Daffodil
07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Asalamulaikum

Is any one here strict on the issue of taking photos even tho they dnt display them etc.

reason being is because our local sheikh dont do photos n technically ur meant to follow emirs orders, and he is our emir, obviously providing its not in contradiction to shariah, but any ways, ive done some research ( on islam q and a) n they say photos are not prohibited.

I want to be as strict as i can on this matter n not take photos however im having a baby soon n of course im gonna wanna take photos of it but thats just my ignorance because i know i shudnt.

Are there any ppl here who take the stricter view on this n dnt take photos watsoever. does it effect u in any way, does it cause problems etc?

also i have a camera phone n its so easy to just take a photo with it sometimes without even thinking about what im doing.

any experiences wud be gud.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Z
07-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Don't get upset, but you know the Taliban banned photo taking right?

Mawaddah
07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Sister Daffodil

I only just recently came across this fatwa also.
Before I also beleived that it was strictly prohibited to take photos so we (I and family) took no photos whatsoever. It was like this for nearly 10 years......from since I was 9 years old until now.
As for whether problems arose.....well yes certainly. Family members were always badgering wanting to see the latest photos (we were half the world away from them) and it was extremely difficult to explain to them since they are not Muslim. And it was even difficult with our Muslim family since they did not follow this. And so when we visited them they would always want to take Eid photos.....photos when we went outing and etc.....And there were some rifts over this also......but Masha'allah now everything is ok alhamdulillah. At least the Muslim side of the family understood.

My father is still not so keen on the idea of taking photos, and he sees no need for it. But everything is Kheir Insha'allah :).

IceQueen~
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
i heard photos are haraam cos they are like pics-which the person who makes em is cursed for (Sahih Bukhari)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Daffodil
07-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I didnt know they banned photo taking z, but im not asking if its allowed or not, i follow the opinion that its haram, but wanted to ask ppl who also follow this ruling whether they found this difficult n if it effected them in any way.

Sis mawaddah, urs is the exact type of reply i was looking for jizakallah khair.

07-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah we don't take photos... It's kinda hard though sometimes, even in school i just sit back while evry1 gets their photo taken.
i sometimes take pictures on my phone though, but i never give it to any1 and delete it afterwards.

IceQueen~
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
If I ever wanted to get a photo taken it would be of my wedding but it isn't allowed so...

Daffodil
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
i didnt take any photos of my wedding but that was due to shyness n dnt like attention on myself.

Sis786
07-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Well i do take pictures and i know its wrong but sometimes it can be helped i know that some scholars are of different opinions.

I once heard a lecture in which a scholar said that you can take pics for purposes like Passports etc but thats it!

muslim_friend
07-11-2006, 04:21 PM
:sl:

I generally take pics on my phone(i don't have a cam)..

the thing is, i don't understand why this fatwa is against photos. i do not understand why the verdict is 'haram'. we aren't creating the pic.. it's merely a memory, an exact reproduction of what it is, similiar to how sunlight can create a shadow.. if people edit these photos and make them more beautiful using software like photshop etc, then i suppose such an action can be classified haram. can someone explain the fatwa and how it relates to the hadith of the prophet saws.. "The most tortured people in the fire are the painters of pictures"?

jazakAllah khairun.

------
07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Ur creating a picture, which is wrong.

muslim_friend
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Ur creating a picture, which is wrong.
salam,

i still don't get it sis. we let the device do the reprodution of the image. basically, we do nothing at all. it's very confusing. we see mirrors everyday.. they reflect our image perfectly, but that doesn't mean that we are using the mirror to create something.

jazakAllah.

wassalaam.

chacha_jalebi
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
salaam

many peeps have said its kool to keep family pics as long as u dont display them in the house, so jus keep them in a photo album for memories or summin, islam aint againist memories :D, and on the fone is okily dokily, cos dey saved in fone, and as long as the pictures r of ur own child & u want em 4 memories, i dont think anytin is wrong with dat!!!

S_87
07-11-2006, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend
salam,

i still don't get it sis. we let the device do the reprodution of the image. basically, we do nothing at all. it's very confusing. we see mirrors everyday.. they reflect our image perfectly, but that doesn't mean that we are using the mirror to create something.

jazakAllah.

wassalaam.

theres a differnece of opinion brother, and its up to you which opinion you want to follow, but doesnt mean the other opinion is wrong

*noor
07-11-2006, 04:45 PM
ive heard that pics are not haraam because you're not actually creating, just the rays of light capture the image on film...thats it....it doesn't take power to do that

Daffodil
07-11-2006, 07:47 PM
For crying out loud why do ppl never listen, please read my origional post, im not asking whether its ok or not.

the purpose of this thread is to read ppls replies on their experiences n difficulties on giving up photos n how it effected them.

Can the mods please please please delete the irrelavant threads such as the fatwa the above poster above me has put up.

For those of u who want to read fatwas regarding this issue just go on islam q and answer, type in pictures n a whole load of fatwas will apear for u to have a read through.

Far7an
07-12-2006, 04:52 PM

If you're thinking about posting in this thread, please have the courtesy to read the first post. If you don't understand it, then I don't think you'll be able to contribute much.

In short: There is difference in opinion on whether the taking of photos is allowed or not, and those who allow it have stated the conditions which need to be fulfilled.

The sister is asking those brothers and sisters, who believe it to be haraam. Whether it has affected you at all? And if you have any experiences to share.

If you don't, you may leave this thread now. Thank you.

Daffodil
07-12-2006, 04:58 PM
thank u!!!!!!

Z
07-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Some years ago I also went with the photo taking is Haraam view. Recently I learnt that creating and capturing are two seperate things. Now I'm more relaxed on the issue.

If it counts.

IbnAbdulHakim
07-12-2006, 06:40 PM
well i would be strict to be honest. its temptin to take photos of cute babies but i'd advise you to avoid what you have doubt about.

Lina
07-13-2006, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil
For crying out loud why do ppl never listen, please read my origional post, im not asking whether its ok or not.

the purpose of this thread is to read ppls replies on their experiences n difficulties on giving up photos n how it effected them.

Can the mods please please please delete the irrelavant threads such as the fatwa the above poster above me has put up.

For those of u who want to read fatwas regarding this issue just go on islam q and answer, type in pictures n a whole load of fatwas will apear for u to have a read through.

Dear sister,

I would want to advise you to calm down and take a deep breath or wait until you post with such anger.

La Hawla Wa La Qowwata Illa Billah.

To be sincere; I'm appaled by your post.

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #5145, Narrated Abu Sa'id al-Khudri, transmitted by Tirmidhi

...It is said that he (saaws) mentioned anger, saying, "Some are swift to anger and swift to cool down, the one characteristic making up for the other; some are slow to anger and slow to cool down, the one characteristic making up for the other; but the best of you are those who are slow to anger and swift to cool down, and the worst of you are those who are swift to anger and slow to cool down." He continued, "Beware of anger, for it is a live coal on the heart of the descendant of Adam. Do you not notice the swelling of the veins of his neck and the redness of his eyes? So when anyone experiences anything of that nature he should lie down and cleave to the earth."

Subhan'Allah, Subhan'Allah.

Forgive me if i've offended you Insha'Allah.

May Allah subhana wa ta'la lead us onto sirat Al Mustaqeem Insha'Allah.

:w:

Daffodil
07-13-2006, 12:17 PM
u thought i wrote that whilst i was angry? lol, that wasnt me being angry just a tad bit annoyed, believe me im not as nice as that wen angry. however thank u for ur concern.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.