/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Brummie Accent!

Sis786
07-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Some members have made comments about the Brummie Accents on another thread and it was all going off topic so im here to lay DOWN THE LAW

Brummie is beautiful

Foreign visitors believe the Brummie accent is attractive
The Birmingham accent is far from its traditional image of "ugly" and "inferior" and is, in fact, regarded as "lilting and melodious" by overseas visitors, academics have discovered.
Researchers at the University of Birmingham found that the second city's much-maligned accent is highly favoured by foreign visitors unaware of the negative connotations the accent holds in Britain.

PhD student Steve Thorne carried out a study examining the way in which "Birmingham English" is perceived by people at home and abroad.

Although the accent regularly comes out bottom in British surveys of favourite regional accents overseas visitors hold it in much higher regard.

"Social snobbery"

He said: "Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong with Birmingham speech.

"Birmingham English is not an inferior variety, nor is it inherently ugly.

"Non-native English-speakers unaware of the social connotations which the accent possesses for British English speakers do not discriminate on the same grounds.

"This strongly suggests that attitudes towards the Birmingham dialect are influenced by factors such as social snobbery, negative media stereotyping, the poor public image of the city of Birmingham, and the North/South geographical and linguistic divide."

Mr Thorne believes Birmingham suffers because it is viewed as neither northern nor southern depriving its citizens of "any strong sense of socio-cultural or linguistic identity".

The study warns that the negative attitude towards the Brummie lilt can adversely affect speakers' health, education and career prospects.

Mr Thorne recommends laws should be introduced to combat "dialectism" - discrimination on the basis of language use - to give Birmingham people a fair chance.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
muslim_friend
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
:sl:

Now, it's discrimination on accent is it? :rollseyes .. Anyway, i thought people all over britain speak the same accent. I'm curious to kno what this Birmingham accent sounds like.

Sis786
07-12-2006, 08:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend

Now, it's discrimination on accent is it? :rollseyes .. Anyway, i thought people all over britain speak the same accent. I'm curious to kno what this Birmingham accent sounds like.
The Brummie Accent is hmm how do i explain well put it like this we Brummies prounce each letter in a word! I'll try to find you a link! Inshallah

muslim_friend
07-12-2006, 09:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
The Brummie Accent is hmm how do i explain well put it like this we Brummies prounce each letter in a word! I'll try to find you a link! Inshallah
insha'Allah, no prob.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
07-12-2006, 09:15 AM
I am a big fan of accents and I like the brummie one, favouraites include:

Number one will have to be the Latina accent, *sighs*
then probably the Southern Accent, like Texas
and from there all other types such as, normal american, some british, love scottish, australian

And the list goes on.

I love Ahmed Ali's accent

Malaikah
07-12-2006, 09:15 AM

whats brummie???

I must admit a few years ago i used to HATE british accents lol:p no offense, i know most off the ppl on LI are brits.. but i dont mind it any more :shade:

Umar001
07-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Brummie I believe is one from Birmingham

Sis786
07-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Ok Well here goes this is the Brummie Accent

Brummie Accent!!

Sis786
07-12-2006, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Brummie I believe is one from Birmingham

Correct!

muslim_friend
07-12-2006, 09:35 AM
The Link isn't working sis. :( .. is it working for you?

wasalaam.

Sis786
07-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Yeah Bro do you have real player i think it works on that!

muslim_friend
07-12-2006, 09:38 AM
yeah sis.. me got real player 10.. but how do i play it in that?

Umar001
07-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Sis 78.6 x 10 that Kilaroy dude was a brummie right?

Sis786
07-12-2006, 09:39 AM
yeah sis.. me got real player 10.. but how do i play it in that?
I dont know when i click on the link it opens in the player ok one min i will PM you the web page!

Sis786
07-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Sis 78.6 x 10 that Kilaroy dude was a brummie right?
Who was that which Kilroy?

Umar001
07-12-2006, 09:52 AM
You dont know Kilroy?

hmm, dont worry, I think you might be too young.

Sis786
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
You dont know Kilroy?

hmm, dont worry, I think you might be too young.
No i know some Kilroys which one you on about is it that Host?

muslim_friend
07-12-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey!!!! I don't see any difference at all....! it sounds the same as the usual british acent. ok, i don't live in britain. but still, i find no difference. :?

i can see a lot of emphasis on the 'O' alphabet..

btw, sis786.. thanks for da link.

Sis786
07-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Hey!!!! I don't see any difference at all....! it sounds the same as the usual british acent. ok, i don't live in britain. but still, i find no difference. :?

i can see a lot of emphasis on the 'O' alphabet..

btw, sis786.. thanks for da link.
You welcome!

Far7an
07-12-2006, 10:05 AM

Lol, I'm guessing I'm the culprit? The link was not a good example of a birmingham accent. I'm sorry if I insulted anyone from Birmingham.
I'm curious to kno what this Birmingham accent sounds like.
As a good friend of mine who lives in B'ham once said "It sounds like you're reading from a book"

Not my words.

Sis786
07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=Far7an;396740] :sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Lol, I'm guessing I'm the culprit? .
Yes you are!

The link was not a good example of a birmingham accent. I'm sorry if I insulted anyone from Birmingham..
I know im trying to get a better link, and its cool i know i have a BRILL accent!

As a good friend of mine who lives in B'ham once said "It sounds like you're reading from a book"

Not my words.
lol ;D

Sahabiyaat
07-12-2006, 10:14 AM
hahah

oh come off it!

were not that posh nosh

most ppl who live in b'ham dont have a b'ham accent :X just like myself...wel thats what i've been told anyway

Sis786
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimahimprovin
hahah

oh come off it!

were not that posh nosh

most ppl who live in b'ham dont have a b'ham accent :X just like myself...wel thats what i've been told anyway
;D I think that too until i speak to someone out of Birmingham!

Mawaddah
07-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Birmingham accent sounds like you got something stuck on your tongue or something and when I listened to that audio clip Sis786 it sounded like everyones mouths were forming "O's" ;D ;D

(how lame am I :p)

But it doesn't sound tooooooooooooo horribly bad in my opinion

But still it isn't the best :shade:

Sis786
07-12-2006, 01:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah

But still it isn't the best :shade:
Siiiiiiiiiiis i know u lying come on admit it you want me to learn you the accent ok SOME PM'ing me i will learn you ok!

Mawaddah
07-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Ah Sis, but I'm NOT lying :shade:

And I can copy the Brummie accent well enough so I dont think I need lessons but thanks for the offer though :p

Nawal89
07-12-2006, 02:00 PM
It sounds like they have something in their mouth :-\

Sis786
07-12-2006, 02:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
It sounds like they have something in their mouth :-\
lol;D NO SIS YOU TOO PMING ME NO I CANT LEARN YOU AND MWAADAH NO NO NO :heated:

Hijaabi22
07-12-2006, 02:33 PM
hahahahahahahahahaha i need a translater everytym i talk 2 sis 786^^^^

Sis786
07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ------------
hahahahahahahahahaha i need a translater everytym i talk 2 sis 786^^^^
Dont make me start on the YORKSHIRE accent i tend not to visit family there as i stare in space thinking was that Inhko or english they just spoke?:rollseyes

Hijaabi22
07-12-2006, 02:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786
Dont make me start on the YORKSHIRE accent i tend not to visit family there as i stare in space thinking was that Inhko or english they just spoke?:rollseyes
oh ha ha watevaa da brummie accent man dont get me started :rollseyes lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.