/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live

Z
07-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Is anyone using any of the new Live products?

I was tempted into getting the Live Messenger today, but kind of passed. I'm thinking it isn't as solid or good as they say it is. Microsoft are always biggin' up their products. Although I heard on the radio Microsoft will soon be rolling it out for everyone using both Windows and MSN Messenger.

Would be nice to hear if anyone is using any of the Live products ... Messenger, Mail, Home etc and kind of share their views on them.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
i had it but den deleted it.. its kinda.. umm.. hw do i say it.. crap??

Ghazi
07-12-2006, 06:47 PM
:sl:

that live messenger thing don't really use it anyway it's just the same as any other messenger but a bit diffrent nothing new really.

Silver Pearl
07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Is anyone using any of the new Live products?

I was tempted into getting the Live Messenger today, but kind of passed. I'm thinking it isn't as solid or good as they say it is. Microsoft are always biggin' up their products. Although I heard on the radio Microsoft will soon be rolling it out for everyone using both Windows and MSN Messenger.

Would be nice to hear if anyone is using any of the Live products ... Messenger, Mail, Home etc and kind of share their views on them.

That thing for me is bril, for one main reason, you can hide (appear offline) and talk to the people you want to talk to.

This is good for me because i'm not forced to log off MSN because of people distracting me (the whole appear Busy status no longer works for me). I can talk to the person i want to talk to and everyone else will see my status as being offline. Also you can send messages to a person if they are offline and they reecive it when they next come online.

Ingenious i tell you (OK may be i wouldn't go that far). However, that is just my opnion. I find the layout good as well.

(I only use MSN messenger)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
BlissfullyJaded
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM

Only thing I like about is you can edit people's nicknames. Bye bye long nicknames with symbols. :shade:

Other then that, I didn't see much difference besides the interface.. :X

I don't use any of the other products though. Just messenger..

Z
07-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, it all sounds good. Any of you use this phone feature they keep braggin' about too? Are PC to PC calls really free?

I think I'm going to hold out for a few weeks before I try any of the Live products. I've already used Live Mail but that was Beta. The bloody thing is pumped with ads everywhere, and reading e-mails is just not convenient enough.

A7med
07-12-2006, 06:57 PM
yep im using it.............

its kool!!!!!!! ;)

afriend
07-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Ok...Let's get started on the email:
Slow
Uncomprehensive (many things are still missing...like a memory usage bar! :mad:)
Missing emails :mad:
Rubbish layout
urm...More or less trashy and cheap......

Messenger:

Nice effects
I'm loving the appear offline and talk feature ;)

And that's about it really....

and oh yeah, anti virus:

Couldn't install, fatal error that made my computer dead temporarily :mad:

A7med
07-13-2006, 06:04 AM
n editing looooong nicks.
and that good if uv got ALOT OF CONTACTS................like over 150

Abdul Fattah
07-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I can't believe they have the guts off asking fees for conference call. They are only gonna stimulate people into using free programs like googletalk or skype to call.

Z
07-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Right I wouldn't normally do this, but when you have contacts that are really persuasive, you got to give in. I got Live Messenger.

First thoughts, it's the same as MSN Messenger. They've just revamped it. Made it look and sound a little more sophisticated, and gave it a few new features. To be honest, I kind of like it. I had to switch back to Live Mail too, but wow, they've made some changes there aswell. There's less ads, and a much more clearer navigation. Still a lot of work can be done to it though.

Funny thing is, there's hardly anyone online now. I bet they're all hiding offline. Buggers.

amirah_87
07-13-2006, 05:18 PM
ASS SALAAMU ALAYKUM

you know what, for sum strange reason it won't download on my comp....i've tried deleting the current one and then installing it, but they say there's sum sotra error :?:?

what's that??

Z
07-13-2006, 05:20 PM
What exactly does the error say?

You're just supposed to install it, and it overwrites the existing MSN Messenger you have. You might want to check in Add/Remove Programs just to make sure you've got rid of the old version completely. If there's a Repair option which I'm sure there is on Messenger, run that.

amirah_87
07-13-2006, 05:25 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

the error says!!!... i can't remember it word for word or anything, but it says sumthing like ...."error 1638........" sumthing like that:?:?

it pops up after i click the finsh button...and says...windows was unable to install.....blah-de -blah-blah!!..:heated:

any ideas what's wrong?

and yes i've removed all old versions!

Z
07-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Have you been into the Add/Remove Programs in your Control Panel? Run the Repair function.

amirah_87
07-13-2006, 05:29 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

repair what!!...my old version's fine akhee!!:?

afriend
08-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Hmmm...Well Windows Live have revved up their mail and messenger...After much disasters during the beta/testing period, I safely give everybody the go ahead for the Live mail and Live Messnger.

Impovements from last time-

Slow
Uncomprehensive (many things are still missing...like a memory usage bar! )
Missing emails
Rubbish layout
urm...More or less trashy and cheap......
Slow-Fixed

Uncomprehensive-All features from the old hotmail added [Includes usage bar, multiple message selection]

Missing emails-problem raised and fixed

Rubbish layout-choose between he old and new look

urm...More or less trashy and cheap- :rollseyes...lol...Nah it's all well and good ;D

ABWAN
08-12-2006, 05:27 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

Microsoft has spent millions on 'Live' and from what I know, Live would effectively replace their msn services. So Live messenger and Live mail are here to stay.

That said, people who have been using Microsoft Outlook would be real happy with Live mail, as Live mail effectively mimicks Outlook. As an outlook user, I am happy to see Microsoft move towards this direction. Folder size bar (although I do notice a bar in the main page!) and the rest are secondary. The primary purpose of a mail service is to efficiently send, receive, sort and search mails and Live mail is WAY ahead than yahoo and has taken a totally different direction than google.

As far as Live messenger is concerned, lots of effort has been put into product. Anyone using a Live messenger should be able to talk to an yahoo ID without any issues. How cool is that! (Microsoft and yahoo have been working together on this) Although I am not a regular MSN messenger user, I consider Live messenger way better than all its predecessors.

http://ideas.live.com/ has all the services that MS offers for now.
Apart from this, Live hosts a series of services and MS has been adding a lot to Live.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.