PDA

View Full Version : Moderate Muslims?



Ghazi
07-13-2006, 07:48 PM
:sl:

When the west speak of 'Moderate muslims" what does this really mean? Is it a practasing muslim who follows the sunnah nope, they're veiw of a 'Moderate muslim' is one who follows these principles.

Moderate Muslim in the views of the west

1.Preys
2.fasts
3.Pays Zakat
4.Hajj

The west veiw muslims who follow the sunnah of our beloved prophet(pbuh) as "Islamists" the media play on words such as the term 'Fundamentalist' now if some stranger were to ask you are you a 'Fundamentalist' what would your response be, Mine would be "Hell Yeah" how can you be a good muslim without being a 'Fundamentalist' the definition of the term 'Fundamentalist':In comparative religion, fundamentalism refers to anti-modernist movements in various religions How can someone be a good at 'math's' without following the 'Fundamentals' picture this? someone multiplying when he's supposed to be adding? sounds stupid eh? so just like the example I gave a muslim who isn't a fundamentalist isn't a good muslim. Also in my personal opinion they're no such thing as a 'Moderate muslim' living today cause lets just look at the ummah if we were moderate would we be like this, we're not moderates because were dunya people Bring the best of the best living today they also fall into this catagorey. Just look at the Sahaba they were moderates they had a balance of both but today we lack this balance more often towards dunya. So whats yourt views on this guys?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Ok erm say all of that again in English :hiding:

Sorry. I meant in a simpler way.

we lack this balance more often towards dunya.
This is the only bit I understood properly and I agree, most Muslims love the dunya nowadays.
Reply

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-13-2006, 07:54 PM
innit they totaly 4gt about the aakirah.. tut tut
Reply

Panatella
07-13-2006, 07:55 PM
It's about perspective. To some YOU are a moderate.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Ghazi
07-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by Panatella
It's about perspective. To some YOU are a moderate.
:sl:

True but we need to look at the religion as a whole, allah asks of us certain things and tells us to obey the prophet(pbuh). Sadly what I see of muslims who cliam to be 'Moderates' are the sisters who don't wear Hijab and the brothers who drink ect I know everyone isn't like this but today's muslims we neglect our afterlife for this dunya and a moderate muslim wouldn't do this they'd do both.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Western people have problems with the following:



Fundamental muslim - The one who upholds the fundamentals of Islam (whereva he travels he performs his salaat, carries his miswaak and his women are veiled)


Extremist muslim - Those who echoe the sentiments of jihaad which is supposed to be INBORN in a believer (ALLAHU AKBAR)
^^ MAY ALLAH GIVE ME THE THAWFIQ TO BE THIS ONE INSHAALLAH!! AMEEN!


Radical Muslim - the one who reflects the beautiful appearance of Muhammad saws

Info obtained from Suliman Mulla's talk! :)
Reply

Ghazi
07-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
Western people have problems with the following:






Info obtained from Suliman Mulla's talk! :)
:sl:

True any mention of Jihad(Qitaal) your an extrimist in their eyes.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by islam-truth
:sl:

True any mention of Jihad(Qitaal) your an extrimist in their eyes.
ye i been mentioning that quite a bit recently now all my aunties/uncles are worried about me :rollseyes
Reply

Ghazi
07-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
ye i been mentioning that quite a bit recently now all my aunties/uncles are worried about me :rollseyes
:sl:

The worry should be the other way round you see the noor of islam.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-13-2006, 08:17 PM
wallahi i dont care what people say but i find it an honour to be called an extremist (lol this is what everyone pretty much calls me)

why? because i follow the sunnah in everyway i can!!!!! , i sleep on da floor, sit on da floor, dress like a muslim, speak arabic even in front of my colleagues so ye they think im a extremist wateva.

i say EVERYONE SHOULD BE WHAT THEY CALL AN "EXTREMIST" IN THE WEST DUE TO THE WESTS CORRUPT VIEW!

but realise in the quran it says we should do everything in moderation therefore lets NEVER lose sight of the sunnah inshaAllah.

may ALlah guide us Ameen!
Reply

Ghazi
07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Abd'Majid
wallahi i dont care what people say but i find it an honour to be called an extremist (lol this is what everyone pretty much calls me)

why? because i follow the sunnah in everyway i can!!!!! , i sleep on da floor, sit on da floor, dress like a muslim, speak arabic even in front of my colleagues so ye they think im a extremist wateva.

i say EVERYONE SHOULD BE WHAT THEY CALL AN "EXTREMIST" IN THE WEST DUE TO THE WESTS CORRUPT VIEW!

but realise in the quran it says we should do everything in moderation therefore lets NEVER lose sight of the sunnah inshaAllah.

may ALlah guide us Ameen!
:sl:

You made a good point in the wests view sunnah=Extreme so yeah it's cool when a non-muslim calls you extreme but when a scholar upon the sunnah does not so cool.
Reply

------
07-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Ameen! :thumbs_up
Reply

north_malaysian
07-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Some people saying that I'm moderate Muslim, others saying that I'm Liberal Muslim. For me - I'm just a Muslim.
Reply

searchingsoul
07-14-2006, 04:29 AM
[S][/S][S][/S]Western people have problems with the following:




Quote:
Fundamental muslim - The one who upholds the fundamentals of Islam (whereva he travels he performs his salaat, carries his miswaak and his women are veiled)


Extremist muslim - Those who echoe the sentiments of jihaad which is supposed to be INBORN in a believer (ALLAHU AKBAR)
^^ MAY ALLAH GIVE ME THE THAWFIQ TO BE THIS ONE INSHAALLAH!! AMEEN!


Radical Muslim - the one who reflects the beautiful appearance of Muhammad saws



Info obtained from Suliman Mulla's talk!
I think you have a point. As a Western Christian I have difficulty understanding what constitutes a Muslim or what type of Muslim a person is. I think that Christians pretty much agree about the labels assigned to them (liberal, fundamental). My husband claims to be Muslim but a lot of the information I'm learning from this forum and other sites lead me to believe that he doesn't fit the definition of a Muslim. I now think that he may be an apostate, but he got mad when I asked him.

Since there isn't an agreement on what a muslim actually is (it may be that I don't understand) I think as a non-muslim I have to believe that anyone who claims to be a muslim is one.
Reply

north_malaysian
07-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by searchingsoul
[S][/S][S][/S]Western people have problems with the following:




Quote:
Fundamental muslim - The one who upholds the fundamentals of Islam (whereva he travels he performs his salaat, carries his miswaak and his women are veiled)


Extremist muslim - Those who echoe the sentiments of jihaad which is supposed to be INBORN in a believer (ALLAHU AKBAR)
^^ MAY ALLAH GIVE ME THE THAWFIQ TO BE THIS ONE INSHAALLAH!! AMEEN!


Radical Muslim - the one who reflects the beautiful appearance of Muhammad saws



Info obtained from Suliman Mulla's talk!
I think you have a point. As a Western Christian I have difficulty understanding what constitutes a Muslim or what type of Muslim a person is. I think that Christians pretty much agree about the labels assigned to them (liberal, fundamental). My husband claims to be Muslim but a lot of the information I'm learning from this forum and other sites lead me to believe that he doesn't fit the definition of a Muslim. I now think that he may be an apostate, but he got mad when I asked him.

Since there isn't an agreement on what a muslim actually is (it may be that I don't understand) I think as a non-muslim I have to believe that anyone who claims to be a muslim is one.
If a person wants to be call as a Muslim, just treat him as one. His deeds, sins, merits are between him and God. We human being cant judge who is accepted by God and who is not.
Reply

Muhammad
07-14-2006, 07:19 AM
:sl:

I think we need to be cautious about how we go about labelling ourselves: if the word "extremist" denotes someone involved with acts of terrorism, then it would be better to avoid associating ourselves with the word. We can explain to non-Muslims the baselessness behind many of these names, but we cannot use them before a proper understanding has occurred. We might be able to ignore or alter what meaning is given to these words, but to many, those meanings are real and the use of such words will only reinforce negative stereotypes.
Reply

craigtasker
07-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Muhammad
:sl:

I think we need to be cautious about how we go about labelling ourselves: if the word "extremist" denotes someone involved with acts of terrorism, then it would be better to avoid associating ourselves with the word. We can explain to non-Muslims the baselessness behind many of these names, but we cannot use them before a proper understanding has occurred. We might be able to ignore or alter what meaning is given to these words, but to many, those meanings are real and the use of such words will only reinforce negative stereotypes.
I think the only problem for the Westerners are the terrorists claiming to be doing Allah's will and killing innocent people in such gruesome ways....I dont think most people have any problem with devout muslims who dont murder people....
Reply

S_87
07-14-2006, 09:50 AM
:sl:

modearte muslims are really muslims who follow Muhammed :arabic5: as He :arabic5: used moderation.

what we see in west is not moderation but modernisation
Reply

Ghazi
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Muhammad
:sl:

I think we need to be cautious about how we go about labelling ourselves: if the word "extremist" denotes someone involved with acts of terrorism, then it would be better to avoid associating ourselves with the word. We can explain to non-Muslims the baselessness behind many of these names, but we cannot use them before a proper understanding has occurred. We might be able to ignore or alter what meaning is given to these words, but to many, those meanings are real and the use of such words will only reinforce negative stereotypes.
:sl:

I understand I never ment we call our selfs extreme :)
Reply

craigtasker
07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
ah violence violence...hate it!

In Injil Isa said "But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also....But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

We are not judges...Allah is THE judge...he can do it without our help!!
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by amani
:sl:

modearte muslims are really muslims who follow Muhammed :arabic5: as He :arabic5: used moderation.

what we see in west is not moderation but modernisation
i think this explains it in the best way. MashAllah!
Reply

searcheroftruth
07-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Moderate Muslims,extremist its just the west trying to messup are religon of islam by putting us into different groups last time i checked a muslim was just a muslim not a extremist or a moderate muslim
Reply

snakelegs
07-16-2006, 05:19 AM
Originally Posted by north_malaysian
If a person wants to be call as a Muslim, just treat him as one. His deeds, sins, merits are between him and God. We human being cant judge who is accepted by God and who is not.
so true! i've noticed an awful lot of people (not just muslims) feel compelled to do god's work for him.
Reply

snakelegs
07-16-2006, 05:22 AM
really, labels are just that - labels.
they really mean nothing, because everyone has their own definition.
i have heard "fundamentalist" used for muslims who call for rejecting the hadees and going by qur'an only.
Reply

Jameel
07-16-2006, 11:42 AM
we are all extremists, i am extremely kind, extremely generous, extremely loving :D
Reply

Ghazi
07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jameel
we are all extremists, i am extremely kind, extremely generous, extremely loving :D
:sl:

LoL, Yeah when you look at it that why the western goverments are Extremists extremly annoying.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 03:53 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 04:48 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 10:11 AM
  4. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM
  5. Replies: 52
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 01:10 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!