/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Understanding and Rulings Of Du'aa-Introduction

madeenahsh
07-14-2006, 04:53 AM
Bismillaahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem InnAl-Hamdu lillaahi Nahmadhu Wanasthainu Bihi Wanasthagfiruh. Wanaudhubillahi Minshururi Anfusinah Wasayathi Amalinah Manyadhilahu Falah Mudhilala Wama-Yudhlyl Fa Hadhi-Alah Wa AshaduAllah laillah IlaAllaah Wa Hadah La Shareeka La Wa Ashadhuana Muhammadan Abduhu Wa Rasoulluhu(sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)

All Praise is due to Allaah we praise Him and seek His help and forgiveness we seek refuge in Allaah the most high from the evils of our own selves and from our wicked deeds. Whom so ever has been guided by Allaah, none can misguide, and whom so ever has been misguided by Allaah, none can guide him. I bear witness that there is no true God worthy of being worship except Allaah alone without partner or associate, I further bear witness that Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam),is His true slave and Messenger.May Peace and Blessings of Allaah The Exalted be upon the Muhammad
(sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), his family and his household and upon all his Noble Companions.

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) says:

O you who believe! Fear Allâh (by doing all that He has ordered and by abstaining from all that He has forbidden) as He should be feared. [Obey Him, be thankful to Him, and remember Him always], and die not except in a state of Islâm [as Muslims (with complete submission to Allaah) [ Sûrat Âl-‘Imrân(The Family of Imran 3:102]

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) said:

O mankind! Be dutiful to your Lord, Who created you from a single person (Adam), and from him (Adam) He created his wife [Hawwâ (Eve)], and from them both He created many men and women; and fear Allâh through Whom you demand (your mutual rights), and (do not cut the relations of) the wombs (kinship)[ Surely, Allâh is Ever an All-Watcher over you.[ Sûrat An-Nisâ’(The Women) 4:1]

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) said:

O you who believe! Keep your duty to Allâh and fear Him, and speak (always) the truth. He will direct you to do righteous good deeds and will forgive you your sins. And whosoever obeys Allâh and His Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), he has indeed achieved a great achievement (i.e. he will be saved from the Hell-fire and will be admitted to Paradise).[Sûrat Al-Ahzâb(The Confederates)(33):70-71 ]

To precede that, is the most truthful speech is that of Allaah’s Book the Quraan, and that best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad, (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). And that the worst of evils are innovations, which are foreign to the true teachings of Islaam.And every innovated matter in the Islamic Religion is newly invented matter, and every newly invented matter is misguidance and every Misguidance is leading to Hell fire.

The matter of dua , is a great matter in islam and it has a high status.
Dua is worship as the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) explaind in the authentic hadeeth.The term “Dua” in the language is to call upon someone,and in the shar in the Islamic legal meaning it has different definitions .

*One of the definitions is yearning to Allaah Azawajjal
*Other meaning is calling upon Allaah the Most Mighty The Most Magnificent for help. Manifesting ones needs of Allaah and declaring oneself free of ability and power, feeling humility and it involves the meaning of dua, and the meaning of praise and the meaning of generosity of Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala)

And Imaam Imaam ibn al-Qayyim al-Jawziyyah,Rahimuhumullaah defined A dua by saying , “it is asking for something that is beneficial for the invoker , for the one who invokes Allaah and requesting to relief if from that which is harmful or wording off that which is harmful”.
These are some of the definitions of dua, and they are all interrelated. Many are the text in the Quraan and in the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), these text are replete denoting the merits of dua and its greatness and in sighting the believers to resort to Allaah alone .So in some of these text there is the incitement to make dua. In addition, in others there are warning to those who abandon the dua, and those who neglect it. Moreover, in some, there is mentioning of its reward that with Allaah the Most High, and in some, there is the praise for the believers who invoke Allaah. In addition, in many other texts as well, which denote the magnificence of this worship.

Infect Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala )Opened His book with dua and ends it with dua, Soorah Al Hamd Sûrat Al-Fâtihah(The Opening) which is the opening soorah of the Noble Quraan , Comprises the dua. The dua involving the greatest request and most perfect objectives and that is asking Allaah Azawajjal, the guidance to the straight path and asking His help to carry on worshipping Him alone. This is in Sûrat Al-Fâtihah and at the end is Sûrat An-Nâs(Mankind) which is the last or the final chapter in the noble Quraan also it comprises the dua by seeking refuge in Allaah from the evil of whisper of “[Shaytaan (Satan)] and from the evil whipers of people as well . There is no doubt that opening the Quraan with dua, and ending it with dua is a great indication, that the opening the Quraan and ending it with Dua is proof for the greatest of this matter. This is the essence of this worship.
Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) called the dua in the quraan as (ibadaa) Worship. Refers to it as ibaada, worship in more than one vers, indicating its greatness and its high status. Like in the saying of

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) said
Sûrat Ghâfir or Al-Mû’min(The Forgiving or The Believer)
And your Lord said: "Invoke Me, [i.e. believe in My Oneness (Islâmic Monotheism) and ask Me for anything] I will respond to your (invocation). Verily! Those who scorn My worship [i.e. do not invoke Me, and do not believe in My Oneness, (Islâmic Monotheism)] they will surely enter Hell in humiliation!"(40:60)

In addition, we read in what Allaah says.

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) said

"And I shall turn away from you and from those whom you invoke besides Allâh. And I shall call upon my Lord and I hope that I shall not be unblest in my invocation to my Lord.” So when he had turned away from them and from those whom they worshipped besides Allâh, We gave him Ishâq (Isaac) and Ya‘qûb (Jacob), and each one of them We made a Prophet. [(19) 48-49].

In addition, there are other ayahs as well to this fact. And Allaah(subhaanahu wa ta'aala) referd to the dua as deen He called it deen as in ,

So, call you (O Muhammad sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam and the believers) upon (or invoke) Allâh making (your) worship pure for Him (Alone) (by worshipping none but Him and by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allâh’s sake only and not to show off and not to set up rivals with Him in worship), however much the disbelievers (in the Oneness of Allâh) may hate (it).[40:14]

This shows us the greatness of the matter of dua and that it is the foundation uboodiyyah of ones slavery and submission to his Creator and its essence and it is the title of humility and submission for Allaah Azawajall. that is why Allaah incited us and invited his slaves to resort to him in many places in the Noble Quraan.

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) said:
Sûrat Al-A‘râf[The Heights (or The Walls with Elevations)

“ Invoke your Lord with humility and in secret. He likes not the aggressors.
And do not do mischief on the earth, after it has been set in order, and invoke Him with fear and hope. Surely, Allâh’s Mercy is (ever) near unto the good-doers”.(7 :55-56]

Sûrat Ghâfir or Al-Mû’min(The Forgiving or The Believer)

He is the Ever Living, Lâ ilâha illâ Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He); so invoke Him making your worship pure for Him Alone (by worshipping Him Alone, and none else, and by doing righteous deeds sincerely for Allâh’s sake only, and not to show off, and not setting up rivals with Him in worship). All the praises and thanks be to Allâh, the Lord of the ‘Âlamîn (mankind, jinn and all that exists). (40:65)

And in many place also in the Noble Quraan Allaah incites the slaves to resort to dua by informing them that He is near, responding and giving them what they hope and what they as for.

Sûrat Al-Baqarah(The Cow)

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. (2:186)

Sûrat An-Naml(The Ants)

Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls on Him, and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations? Is there any ilâh (god) with Allâh? Little is that you remember! (27:62)

The more the persons knowledge of Allaah, the more he knows of Him then his relation with him is stronger, then his dua will be greater and his humility, the more the person knows of Allaah and his relation with him becomes strong, the greater his dua would be and his humility would also be much greater.

The Prophets of Allaah and his Messengers were the greatest in terms of the manifestation of dua regardingall of their affairs and Allaah subhaanahu wa ta'aala) praise them in the Quraan, and told us some of their invocation in their different situations.

Sûrat Al-Anbiyâ’(The Prophets)

So We answered his call, and We bestowed upon him Yahyâ (John), and cured his wife (to bear a child) for him. Verily, they used to hasten on to do good deeds, and they used to call on Us with hope and fear, and used to humble themselves before Us. (21:90)

And from the invocations of the Prophets, is that which Allaah Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) related from Ibraheem Alyhisallam he said.

Sûrat Ibrâhîm(Abraham)

"All the praises and thanks be to Allâh, Who has given me in old age Ismâ‘îl (Ishmael) and Ishâq (Isaac). Verily! My Lord is indeed the All-Hearer of invocations.

"O my Lord! Make me one who performs As-Salât (Iqâmat-as-Salât ), and (also) from my offspring, our Lord! And accept my invocation. "Our Lord! Forgive me and my parents, and (all) the believers on the Day when the reckoning will be established."(14): 39-41]

And Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) told us of His Messenger Nuuh Alyhi sallam .when he invoked Allaah to give him victory over his people who belied him, and stood against him.

Sûrat Al-Qamar(The Moon)

The people of Nûh (Noah) denied (their Messenger) before them. They rejected Our slave, and said: "A madman!" and he was insolently rebuked and threatened.
Then he invoked his Lord (saying): "I have been overcome, so help (me)!"
So We opened the gates of the heaven with water pouring forth.
And We caused springs to gush forth from the earth. So the waters (of the heaven and the earth) met for a matter predestined.
And We carried him on a (ship) made of planks and nails,
Floating under Our Eyes: a reward for him who had been rejected(54:9-14)

And he Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) told us of the dua of Prophet Ayyub Alyhisallam, when he was touched by calamity and was harmed and was hurt.

And (remember) Ayyûb (Job), when he cried to his Lord: "Verily, distress has seized me, and You are the Most Merciful of all those who show mercy."
So We answered his call, and We removed the distress that was on him, and We restored his family to him (that he had lost) and the like thereof along with them as a mercy from Ourselves and a Reminder for all those who worship Us.(21:83-84)

He Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) informed of the dua of Yunus , when he was swallowed by the fish so he invoked Allaah his Lord while is the belly of the fish in the deep sea and Allaah responded to his invocation.

And (remember) Dhun-Nûn (Jonah), when he went off in anger, and imagined that We shall not punish him (i.e. the calamities which had befallen him)! But he cried through the darkness (saying): Lâ ilâha illâ Anta [none has the right to be worshipped but You (O, Allâh)], Glorified (and Exalted) be You [above all that (evil) they associate with You]! Truly, I have been of the wrong-doers."
So We answered his call, and delivered him from the distress. And Thus We do deliver the believers (who believe in the Oneness of Allâh, abstain from evil and work righteousness).(21:87-88)

So anyone who contemplates the Quraan will find from these invocations, and their request and humility and Submission before Allaah Azawajjal, many examples like this. Similarly, Allaah describes the believers, praise them the righteous because of their dua and their fear, and hope in Allaah. Describing his true believers

Sûrat As-Sajdah(The Prostration)

Their sides forsake their beds, to invoke their Lord in fear and hope, and they spend (in charity in Allâh’s Cause) out of what We have bestowed on them. No person knows what is kept hidden for them of joy as a reward for what they used to do. (32:16-17)
We ask Allaah for his Bounty

Sûrat Al-Kahf(The Cave)

And keep yourself (O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) patiently with those who call on their Lord (i.e. your companions who remember their Lord with glorification, praising in prayers, and other righteous deeds) morning and afternoon, seeking His Face; and let not your eyes overlook them, desiring the pomp and glitter of the life of the world; and obey not him whose heart We have made heedless of Our Remembrance, and who follows his own lusts, and whose affair (deeds) has been lost.(19:28)

Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta'aala) said: In describing the people OF paradise when they enter paradise in peace and in security he said about them

Sûrat Yûnus(Jonah)

Verily, those who believe ,and do deeds of righteousness, their Lord will guide them through their Faith; under them will flow rivers in the Gardens of Delight (Paradise).Their way of request therein will be Subhânaka Allâhumma (Glory to You, O Allâh!) and Salâm (peace, safety from evil) will be their greetings therein (Paradise)! and the close of their request will be: Al-Hamdu Lillâhi Rabb-il-‘Âlamîn [All the praises and thanks be to Allâh, the Lord of ‘Âlamîn (mankind, jinn and all that exists)].(9: 9-10)
This dua is for the ruuh the essence of the deen .And it’s the title to humility ansd submmision to Rabil AlaMeen.

Yalaamhullaahu waiyakum, may Allaah make me and you to be among the people of dua, the sincere ones seeking His Face subhaanahu wa ta'aala.

Walhamdulilaahi Rabeel Almeen Wasallallahu Ala Nabiyinah Muhammad Wa Ala Alihi Wa Sahbyhi Wasalaam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.