/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Iraqi Olympic chief kidnapped by the "lions"

Joe98
07-15-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1687583.htm

Gunmen kidnap Iraqi Olympic chief

Gunmen have kidnapped about 50 people from a meeting of Iraqi sports officials, including the head of the national Olympic committee.

Police and Interior Ministry sources say the gunmen, wearing blue camouflage Interior Ministry uniforms, stormed a meeting hall in central Baghdad and killed one of Olympic Committee chief Ahmed al-Hadjiya's bodyguards.

Police say Mr Hadjiya and about 20 bodyguards, along with at least eight committee officials and the hall's guards, were then bundled into a convoy of vehicles and driven off.

They say the body of a second bodyguard was later found dumped in in a central district, not far from the meeting hall.

He had been shot in the head.

The hall's security guards were later found unharmed.

Iraq's Olympic Committee was dominated by Saddam Hussein's son, Uday, until the US invasion in 2003.

Clearly the Iraqi Olympic committee was doing something against the people of Iraq

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
catmando
07-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Gunmen kidnap Iraq Olympic committee chief

By RYAN LENZ, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 42 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Gunmen kidnapped the head of
Iraq's Olympic committee and more than a dozen employees Saturday after storming a sports conference in Baghdad, police said. The kidnappers wore camouflage Iraqi police uniforms and security guards outside the meeting said they did not interfere because they thought the gunmen were legitimate law enforcement, police said.

Ahmed al-Hijiya, president of the committee, was taken in the assault, which came a day after the coach of Iraq's national wrestling team was killed by kidnappers, said police Lt. Thaer Mahmoud.

Others taken Saturday included the deputy head of the Olympic committee, Ammar Jabbar al-Saadi; the chairman of the Taekwondo Federation, Jamal Abdul-Karim; and the chief of the Boxing Federation Union, Bashar Mustafa.

Two guards were killed, one while trying to flee the building.

Interior Minister Jawad al-Bolani told reporters that the kidnapping was carried out by "gangs" and not security forces.

There were conflicting reports on the number of people taken but Maj. Gen. Adnan Thabet, commander of the ministry's special forces, told The Associated Press that al-Hijiya and 20 others were kidnapped.

The Sunni coach of Iraq's national wrestling team, Mohammed Karim Abid Sahib, was seized with one of his wrestlers Thursday as they left a sports center to buy sweets in the northern neighborhood of Kazimiyah, where the team was preparing for a tournament.

The coach was shot to death while trying to escape later in the day. The wrestler escaped, according to police and wrestling officials.

The team pulled out of the tournament in the United Arab Emirates.

In other violence, Iraqi soldiers and gunmen clashed in Baghdad, leaving at least three people dead and 11 wounded, police said.

Seven people were injured in a mortar attack near Haifa Street in downtown Baghdad, blocks from the Green Zone, which houses U.S. and British embassies and the Iraqi government.

Similar clashes broke out blocks away, injuring four and killing two civilians. U.S. troops sealed off the area after the attacks, said Iraqi Army Maj. Salman Abdul-Wahid.

The area along Haifa Street has seen heavy violence in recent weeks, which prompted Iraqi leaders.

Iraq's parliament voted Saturday to extend a nearly two-year state of emergency in Baghdad for another 30 days. The violence along Haifa Street prompted the last extension.

President Jalal Talabani called for establishment of a national front to prevent a sectarian civil war.

In a statement late Friday, Talabani accused
Saddam Hussein loyalists and Sunni religious extremists of fomenting sectarian conflict, and he urged establishment of "a national democratic front that includes all those who believe in a new Iraq and are eager to have a democratic system."

Zionazi_Dissent
07-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Are you anti-Iraqi or anti-Muslim? I have a feeling you are the later.

catmando
07-15-2006, 03:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zionazi_Dissent
Are you anti-Iraqi or anti-Muslim? I have a feeling you are the later.
Why do you ask? Is there anything in that article that makes you think I'm either one?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Panatella
07-15-2006, 05:08 PM
This is fighting the american occupation how? I can't remember how iraqis attacking iraqis fights off the americans.

Trumble
07-15-2006, 05:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
This is fighting the american occupation how?
There are as many, if not more, criminal kidnappings in Baghdad as "political" ones. My guess is that this one was for the cash... and that's the way the Iraqi authorities seem to be thinking.

Ghazi
07-15-2006, 07:37 PM
:sl:

This is just a criminal act now why do I get a feeling the poster thinks it got something to do with islam!

GARY
07-15-2006, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

This is just a criminal act now why do I get a feeling the poster thinks it got something to do with islam!
It is a criminal act, I agree. Why do you think that Joe98 is making a connection to islam?

catmando
07-15-2006, 07:42 PM

Getting a bit 'testy' are we?

Ghazi
07-15-2006, 07:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by catmando
Getting a bit 'testy' are we?

Just stating the truth, I might aswell just report any killing and post them here as some people do then try and connect them with islam.

Trumble
07-15-2006, 08:04 PM

I can't see any attempt to link the kidnapping to Islam, although Joe was clearly suggesting it was the work of Iraqi 'insurgents'.

Muezzin
07-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Threads merged

Joe98
08-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Has anybody heard any more about the Iraqi Olympic chief?

מדינת ישׂראל
08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Nope. I have not.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.