/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Name Your Favourite...

SirZubair
07-15-2006, 08:48 PM
:sl: To all my Muslim/Non-muslim Brothers and Sisters.

I did a Search and i couldn't find any topics relating to "What is your favourite book" so i am starting a new thread.

If such a thread already Exists,then please,point it out to me :) i would appreciate it.

ANyway,yes,so it is time to Name your favourite book(s).

NOTE : To all my MUSLIM brothers and sisters,..PLEASE,do not say "The holy Quran",because it is OBVIOUS that the Holy QUran is every muslims first choice. I want names of Books which are written by Allah (swts) Creations.

So go ahead,start naming books,and authors.

IF you can find pictures of the book online,post the pictures too :)

:wasalaam:

-Zubair

p.s It DOESN'T have to be a RELIGOUS book,it can relate to anything,.science fiction,...childrens books..whatever :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
07-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, this year for english we read this book called 'you don't know me'...I'll go and get a review if there are any ;D or else I'm gonna have to do it.

SirZubair
07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
My ALL TIME favourite book is :

Purification of the heart - By Shaykh Hamza Yusuf. ALlhumdulilah, a great book.

SirZubair
07-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Next in line...

Muhammed - His life according to the earliest sources - Martin Lings(Shaykh Abu Bakr Siraj ud Din) (Sadly he passed away on may 13th 2005,may allah swt allow him to enter Heaven through allah (swt) mercy.)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
07-15-2006, 08:57 PM
Hamza Yusuf is a bright guy mashallah....His talks are extremely good :thumbs_up

SirZubair
07-15-2006, 08:58 PM
NEXT in line..

Don't Be Sad - By 'Aaidh Ibn Abdullah Al-Qarni.

I won't say its my FAVOURITE Book,...i just started reading it YESTERDAY,..so far,so good :) Allhumdulilah,it is a good book.

afriend
07-15-2006, 08:59 PM

I recomend this book to everybody and anybody :)

ROFL!!!

Nice one bro zubair.

SirZubair
07-15-2006, 09:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Hamza Yusuf is a bright guy mashallah....His talks are extremely good :thumbs_up
Allhumdulilah,don't you love the way he goes off topic,starts talking about something Random,and then comes back to what he was ORIGINALLY saying and the audience is like : :uhwhat "what just happened?" LoL,even when he goes off topic,he doesn't lose the audiences attention. :brother:

afriend
07-15-2006, 09:01 PM
yeah...mash'allah! he has talent...His speaking skills are great...especially when he starts to joke around ;D...When he goes back on topic, he refreshes the audience's mind :)

SirZubair
07-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Last recommendation for the day...

...last but not least,..

Stories Of Repentance : By Muhammed Abduh Mughawiri

That book made me realise the power of repentance.

Anyway,i've said enough,..now i'll wait for the rest of the forums to contribute.

Lets see how many book-aholics are on this forum ;D

afriend
07-15-2006, 09:05 PM
lol^ :p

Mash'ALlah your selection of books are great(I'm getting very interested with the last one...Need to get it ;)) May Allah reward you inshallah :)

Ghazi
07-15-2006, 09:16 PM
:sl:

Khalid Bin Waleed-Sword Of allah If I remember correctly you can get a read on www.swordofallah.com

SirZubair
07-16-2006, 06:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

Khalid Bin Waleed-Sword Of allah If I remember correctly you can get a read on www.swordofallah.com
Sounds interesting.

Shukran for sharing.

sevgi
07-16-2006, 07:33 AM
my favourite book would have to be the Risale-i nur set by Beduizzaman Said Nursi...obviously havnt read the whole thing...with my level of faith that almost seems impossible...

non religiously...my favourite books would have to be "the girl with the pearl earring" by Johannes Vermeer..., "the alchemist" by that spanish guy Paulo Coelho, and "great expectations" by Charles Dlckens...

SirZubair
07-16-2006, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
LOL !

Ooops :p obviously my 'searching' skills suck :p

Oh well,those threads are OLD anyway,lets not dwell over the past :p :p

Bro,i don't care what language the book is written in.

Share it anyway :) It might not Benefit me,but it might benefit someone else. I didnt create this thread for My benefit :)

Sis786
07-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Well i love My Fedual Lord By Temina Durrain Excellent read and the Princess books by Jean Sassson a look into Saudi family life it was disgusting but again good read.

I also like The Spilting of the Moon a bio on the life of the prophet saw was such a good book mashallah..

Also enjoyed Da Vinci code went to watch the movie over the weekend and as usual a disspointment the book is better

------
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Has anyone read Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince?!

------
07-17-2006, 10:30 AM
The movie was RUBBISH! The books r wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better!

Sis786
07-17-2006, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
The movie was RUBBISH! The books r wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better!
Ok ill take you word and to get a copy seems childish though!

------
07-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Another good read is... Kitaab Ar-Ruh, Book of the Soul, don't know who its by tho...

muslim_friend
07-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Ok, here are moi favoirites..

1.Don't be sad by Aidh al Qarnee'-A damn good, sadness worry and anguish repeller.. Though i don't own a copy, i've borrowed and read it atleast five times cover to cover.

2.At number 2! is the cool book.. "Stories of the Prophet" by Ibn Kathir- Simply awesome! I read about Prophets and pious men, whose names i never knew of.. the book describes everything in detail, except for the story of Muhammad(saws) which is made brief. But overall it is a cooooooooool book, and it even has dialogues in it.

3.At number 3! is the simple eyeopener "Causes for the increase and derease of Eemaan". Excellent mashaAllah.

Ok, i got lots more but this is enough for the moment. :D

wsalam.

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Don't be Sad- Ai'dh Al Qarny

nennar
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
salaam alaikum!

this book is good ! its called thoughts about god! its by ruqaiyyah waris maqsood

Mawaddah
07-17-2006, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aalimah
Another good read is... Kitaab Ar-Ruh, Book of the Soul, don't know who its by tho...
Thats by Ibn al-Qayyim isn't it? I have it in Arabic........but I read it aaaaaaages ago....when I was like around 11 and I still remember it vividly, some very shocking things inside there.

Hmmmmm....I'm an avid reader, I read anything I get my hands onto, in fact I cannot go more than an hour without reading.....I read all and everything

BUT

I have one TERRIBLE habit and that is that I always forget the title of the book I read :D;D

So I've read about 5 million books and novels and there have been some very outstanding ones but I can't remember most of the namessssss :grumbling

Raheeq al-Makhtoum is good (The Sealed Nectar)

Al-Bidaayah Wan-Nihaayah , the part where it tells about the Anbiyaa,, Awesome!! (1st chapter, I advise you to read it in arabic to grasp it's full essence :D )

Ermm....... I remember a book by Stephen King, The Dreamcatcher......gave me nightmares :X

Ad-Daa' Wad-Dawaa' by Ibn al-Qayyim.....(Illnesses and It's cures)

ermm......I'll go try to remember more book titles Insha'allah :uhwhat

MinAhlilHadeeth
07-17-2006, 09:12 PM
OMG... raheequl makhtoum ROCKS!:peace:
:D

the_muslimah
07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Muhammad, Man & Prophet, by Adil Salahi..it is definitely a must read-i recommend it to all of you

SirZubair
08-13-2006, 03:36 AM
I've just started reading :

Al-Maqasid. Written by Imam Nawawi.

Translation and Notes by :

Shaykh Nuh Ha Mim Keller.

umm-sulaim
08-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow i love reading.......i have so many favourites, i love this book called takfeerat adhunuub (erasing of sins) written by haafidh bin hajar,
I love any book written by Ibnul Qayyim and sheikul Islam ibnu Taymiyyah (ra7imahumaAllah)...and their poems are just brilliant....
i like Suyuuti (rahima7ullahs book) tibbu nabawee
Your right about ra7eeq al makhtum, thats an excellent book!
I like reading novels too, especially by this one author, mawaddah and nawaal and amira (uskutayn lol) ....i think her novels are really nice,
I like christopher pikes "remember me" i used to read it ages ago, but i find that i still like it,
i like the 3rd twin can't remember the author though, and some books by martina cole...
I like nelson Mandela's autobiography
and the guy that wrote The Firm...i always forget his name, some of his books are nice...
I don't read stepehn king, mawaddah mashaAlllah you did lol...guy freaks me out!
I'm bad with titles, i don't really rememebr the authors, but i could say what it was about no problem lol...

wassalaam

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-13-2006, 10:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
I've just started reading :

Al-Maqasid. Written by Imam Nawawi.

Translation and Notes by :

Shaykh Nuh Ha Mim Keller.
Wow... how do you find it so far?

SirZubair
08-13-2006, 10:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
Wow... how do you find it so far?
So far, so good :) i recommend it (to the open minded, non-labeling people out there..):brother:

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-13-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm very open minded, if you can believe that. InshaAllah i'll buy it when I get some cash. I'm a little broke at the moment. Lol.

:wasalamex

SirZubair
08-13-2006, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm_Shaheed
I'm very open minded, if you can believe that. InshaAllah i'll buy it when I get some cash. I'm a little broke at the moment. Lol.

Not a problem sis :) if you can't find any around where you live, let me know, i will Post my copy to you once i've finished with it, insha'allah.

Umm Yoosuf
08-13-2006, 11:10 AM
I have too many favourite books :X

Scred Freedom
http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/01568.htm

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Oh i have that first one!:D
MashaAllah its great!

kormath
08-13-2006, 12:27 PM
I like very much the book " Freedom at Midnight" by Lapior Collins. But u dont like it , for u r not Indians

Ibn Abi Ahmed
08-13-2006, 03:07 PM

This has to be the most awesome book Ive ever read:

:w:

amirah_87
08-13-2006, 03:18 PM
as salaamu alaykum,

Kitaab at-Tawheed is a good book mahsaAllah,

most of what I like is the same as sis suliam and Mawaddah's :rollseyes

I like Riyaadus Saaliheen by Al-Imaam abu zakariyyah Yahay ibn shafar an-Nawawi aswell!!...good book subhanAllah!!..

I also like AL-usool min 3ilm al-usool, by shiekh ibnu Uthaimeen hafidahullah!.

and Lum3atul I3tiqaad, and 3aqeedatul Waasetiyyah....aaand alot more!!

and one novel I like is Dangerous Lady by Martine/Maritna cole!! :)

There's alotta novels I like but I ain't good with their name's or their author's

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah some good books in there... i think... I haven't read any of them.:X... except for riyadh us saliheen.:p

kormath
08-13-2006, 05:31 PM
The "Friends of Allah"of IbnuThaimiyya(r) is very favourite book, I also translated it in to Malayalam, the mother tongue of Kerala(India)
Thanks to Ahmed

Mawaddah
08-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Ok I also like the Book 'Al-Kabaa'ir wa Tabyeen al Mahaarim' by Imaam adh-Dhahabi Rahimahullah

And some volumes of Zaad al-Ma3aad are veryyyy good too...

Once in a while I like to sit down and just browse thru Lisaan al3arab......that's a totally AWESOME book :)

ok tha'ts it for now :D

S_87
08-13-2006, 07:17 PM

i just LOVED this book:

and who likes asterix comics. i find them so dumbingly funny ;D

SirZubair
08-14-2006, 09:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
and who likes asterix comics. i find them so dumbingly funny ;D
I've read EVERY SINGLE Asterix and TINTIN COMIC book out there :p

That was during the time i was in highschool... these days i hardly ever read comics.

Ahhh... the good old days.

Those that live in the UK, you would have heard of BEANO and DANDY Comics, right? :p I used to have a collection of those too :p

Helena
08-14-2006, 09:23 AM
I've read EVERY SINGLE Asterix and TINTIN COMIC book out there :p

That was during the time i was in highschool... these days i hardly ever read comics.

Ahhh... the good old days.

Those that live in the UK, you would have heard of BEANO and DANDY Comics, right? :p I used to have a collection of those too :p
yeah i remember tintin, asterix, beano...cant remember dandy comics.....tintin, asterix use to watch it every morning wid my lil bro...

i'll post some of my fav books wid da pic soon...

Helena
08-14-2006, 09:34 AM
nice thread.....

heres my fav books, well we bought it during hajj:cry: .......def are great books..it properly explains each step, wid the support of the quran and hadiths......i'll recommens it to anyone.... its the islamic creed series....

umm-sulaim
08-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I aslo really like reading Ibn seereen's book about dreams, and karaamaat al awliyaa by imaam al-laalakaa'ee, its really nice, mashaAllah!

wassalaam

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-14-2006, 11:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
I aslo really like reading Ibn seereen's book about dreams, and karaamaat al awliyaa by imaam al-laalakaa'ee, its really nice, mashaAllah!

wassalaam
Yeah I have ibn sireen's book on dreams. It's very interesting...:).

amirah_87
08-14-2006, 11:52 AM
as salaamu alaykum,

MashaAllah Umm Shaheed you do!! :(

I also like reading through the Hans Wehr!!....Great Book!! ;)

And a book i'm reading through theses days is Ahwaal Al-Qiyaamah!...very good book too!!

LOL @ TinTin guys!! ;D

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-14-2006, 11:59 AM
LOL^^... i used 2 watch that cartoon.:p

Malaikah
08-14-2006, 12:08 PM

I just finished reading this book this afternoon- its a MUST read for all the girls out there! :sister: its just so complete it covers almost everything, and with plenty of examples from the hadith too! you can read it online here.

kormath
08-14-2006, 06:08 PM
"Muhammad in the Bible" written by Rev. Benjamin Keldani , who embraced Islam and became Prof. Abdul Ahad Davud, is one my favourite book in the field of religious comparative studies. It is very useful to know the prophecies of the Bible about Prophet Muhammad(s). I am very glad to say that I have translated this book in to Malayalam, the mother tongue of Kerala(India)
http://karalite.blogspot.com/

Ameeratul Layl
08-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Salam,

I like: Pride and Prejudice.

Wasalam

Kittygyal
08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
Salam,

I like: Pride and Prejudice.

Wasalam

have you seen the filim?

Ameeratul Layl
08-15-2006, 12:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
have you seen the filim?
Yes, had to watch it for GCSE English. I prefer the book.

I quite liked the 'Da Vinci Code,' I read halfway and found it too horrofyingly dramatic.
Im currently reading: 'Where Angels Fear To Tread.' By E.M Forster.

Kittygyal
08-15-2006, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
Yes, had to watch it for GCSE English. I prefer the book.

I quite liked the 'Da Vinci Code,' I read halfway and found it too horrofyingly dramatic.
Im currently reading: 'Where Angels Fear To Tread.' By E.M Forster.

Alhamdullaih the film is nice but 'Da Vinci Code' is not my type ;)

umm-sulaim
08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
I really liked Chicken soup for the teenage soul,haven't read it in like 4 years but to me that book was deeeep!

wassalaam

learningislam
08-16-2006, 04:06 PM
:salamext:

sis cheese........thanx for sharing that book "THE IDEAL MUSLIMAH"......I will read it inshaALLAH.

i am a bookworm too and i am glad to see so many others too.

The book i am reading at present is.......
"Change Your lens, Change Your World" By Faiez H.Seyal

well, its a real nice book, and i would recommend you all to read it.
You can have a look at its back and front cover......and comments here.
http://www.aceone.org/cylcyw.htm

It is not available to read online , but you can order on the same link.

:wasalamext

SirZubair
08-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Another book i really enjoyed reading is :

And hey, check that out, it is available online ! Free for all ;)

Click HERE if you're interested in reading it ;)

syedanoor
08-16-2006, 11:53 PM
Well i've heard that this book is a pretty good read:

but i'm a big fan of islamic history therefore i'd say that my favorite has to be:

[img]http://www.astrolabe.com/images/common-50500/Front_Cover.jpeg[img]

and this one is really good one as well:

A Mental Hijrah
Towards a Unified Muslim
World-View

By: Abdur Rahim Choudhary

syedanoor
08-16-2006, 11:54 PM
^whops i'm sorry but the i made a mistake with the 'img' and i guess i'm not allowed to edit yet so here's the second book:

Kittygyal
08-19-2006, 08:26 PM

Another book i really enjoyed reading is :

And hey, check that out, it is available online ! Free for all ;)

Click HERE if you're interested in reading it ;)

salam.
oh no not Bilal Philps never mind i will have a read inshallah.
w.salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.