/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Performing Sabbath

London2006
07-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Surah 2:65 mentions a group of people who rejected the Sabbath and were therefore turned into "apes" as punishment by Allah. I'm pretty sure that this incident happened before the start of the Islam we now know, but does this mean that a Muslims could still legally perform the Sabbath? I have no itention of doing this myself, and I have never heard of a Muslim who has done so, but I was just wondering...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M H Kahn
07-16-2006, 11:51 AM
What do you meanby Sabbath now?

Ghazi
07-16-2006, 11:52 AM
:sl:

Whats Sabbath.

M H Kahn
07-16-2006, 03:13 PM
The relevant verse is: "And surely, you have known the end of those amongst you, who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath. So WE said to them, `Be ye apes, despised."[2:65]
:sl:
It appears that Allah prohibited some acts on the day and those, who are referred to in the verse, disobeyed the prohibitions. As found in different explanations, the day was fixed for rest and wrship of Allah only, not for any mundane work including cooking or taking food. But the Bani Israelis broke the rule of the day and Allah turned them into apes. But now, there is nothing like Sabbath in the present divine law as given to the mankind of the later time through Muhammed (pbuh).

Of course, we are ordered to leave all mundane works on Friday as soon as the Adhan is broadcast and be ready for the mosque to say the mid-day salah (Jummah). The Jummah day under the present law has some similarity with the Sabbath day under the then law of Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Joe98
07-17-2006, 06:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by M H Kahn
Be ye apes, despised.

I read that as: the people were considered to be no better than apes.

Nothing about turning them into apes.

But then it is an ancient form of English.

M H Kahn
07-17-2006, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
I read that as: the people were considered to be no better than apes. Nothing about turning them into apes. But then it is an ancient form of English.
Allah says:"Tell My servants to treat each other in the best possible manner, for the devil will always try to drive a wedge among them. Surely, the devil is man's most ardent enemy."[17:59]

We have to believe in what Allah has revealed in the Quran !

Joe98
07-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes, that is the same teaching as Jesus gave.

Bit still nothing about turning anybody into apes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.