/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Evangelicals Bring Religion in US Politics

sonz
07-17-2006, 03:10 PM
LANCASTER, Ohio — Evangelical Christians, the fastest-growing faith-based group in the US which played a pivotal role in tilting the scales in President George W. Bush's favor in the last presidential election, are increasing bringing religion into politics.

"I appreciate the fact that the church is politically involved," said Kyle Hatfield, a 30-year-old father of two who believes the separation of church and state has gone too far.

"It was not our forefathers' intention to prevent churches from being involved," he told Reuters.

Lisa Sexton, 42, a Bible school volunteer, agreed.

"Christians stepped back too far. I prayed in school but my kids can't pray in school," she said.

"I should have spoken up earlier."

In a March survey, a quarter of the resident of Ohio, a key swing state that narrowly decided Bush's election victory in 2004 over Democrat John Kerry, said they were evangelicals, believing that a strict adherence to the Bible and personal commitment to the teachings of Jesus Christ will bring salvation.

More than 82 percent of them said they approve of bringing more religion into politics.

Increasingly Republicans

Evangelical Christians have had a growing impact on America's political landscape, in part because adherents believe conservative Christian values should have a place in politics -- and they support politicians who agree with them.

Senior pastor Russell Johnson is chairman of the Ohio Restoration Project, a faith-based group that wants to increase the role of religion in public life.

He and his supportive members believe that evangelicals and Republicans are wedded to a set of beliefs and share common grounds on issues like the Iraq war and revolutionary theory.

"I trust his [Bush] opinion because of his beliefs," said Sexton, adding that she liked Bush because he was born-again Christian.

Political analyst John Green, director of the University of Akron's Bliss Institute of Applied Politics, cited an increasing support for the Republicans among evangelicals.

"Evangelical Protestants have become much more Republican in recent times, although 40 or 50 years ago more of them were Democrats," he said.

"There was a particular intensification of evangelical links to the Republican Party during the Bush administration in 2000 and 2004."

An Associated Press-Ipsos poll released Friday, July 14, showed that Republicans are in jeopardy of losing their grip on Congress in the midterm elections in November.

The poll found that Americans by an almost 3-to-1 margin hold the GOP-controlled Congress in low regard and profess a desire to see Democrats wrest control after a dozen years of Republican rule.

http://islamonline.net/English/News/2006-07/17/02.shtml

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
catmando
07-17-2006, 03:22 PM
We must be ever-vigilant against these extremists.

scentsofjannah
07-17-2006, 03:42 PM
lol cat..you're in their terrority!!

czgibson
07-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Greetings,

These people worry me. Bringing religion into politics is a way of bringing faith-based certainty into a discipline determined by unknowns, and the consequences of this have proven to be dangerous so many times in the past that I'm baffled as to how the idea can still be seen as acceptable.

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Geronimo
07-17-2006, 03:52 PM
It appears that it's trying to paint all christians as envangelical when this isn't the case. You quote Thomas Paine in your signature while nice I prefer this one he wrote in The Age of Reason : I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness in this life

czgibson
07-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
It appears that it's trying to paint all christians as envangelical when this isn't the case.
Does it? I'm not sure about that. Surely if that was the case it would just say 'Christians' and not 'evangelicals' or 'evangelical Christians'?

Peace

Geronimo
07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Does it? I'm not sure about that. Surely if that was the case it would just say 'Christians' and not 'evangelicals' or 'evangelical Christians'?

Peace
Have you ever seen Christians used without the Evangelical in front of it when they are talking about the US on islamonline? I haven't

czgibson
07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Greetings,
Have you ever seen Christians used without the Evangelical in front of it when they are talking about the US on islamonline? I haven't
To be fair, I don't know about islamonline, I was just interpreting the article as it stands. (Oddly enough, it does include the word 'Christians' once without the 'evangelical' prefix, so I guess you haven't been looking too hard, but never mind.)

Even if what you are saying is true, surely that would only imply that evangelical Christians are a numerous denomination in the US, which is true. It also implies that there are other Christians, outside the US, who are not evangelicals. No?

Peace

wilberhum
07-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Greetings,

These people worry me. Bringing religion into politics is a way of bringing faith-based certainty into a discipline determined by unknowns, and the consequences of this have proven to be dangerous so many times in the past that I'm baffled as to how the idea can still be seen as acceptable.

Peace
Sooooooooooooooo True.

catmando
07-17-2006, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
lol cat..you're in their terrority!!
TELL me about it. :rollseyes I'm moving toward the Atlantic Ocean as soon as I can. Hard to get away from the loonies, but Raleigh NC is a very nice liberal University town. Besides, my sister lives there.

catmando
07-17-2006, 09:23 PM
...You quote Thomas Paine in your signature while nice I prefer this one he wrote in The Age of Reason : I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness in this life
Yes Mr. Paine was a Deist as you can tell from that statement; no Christian would have uttered those words.

In my sig, Paine emotes his contempt for Organized Religion, which he believes was the cause of much human misery throughout history.

Keltoi
07-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Is it just me, is it sort of odd for people who seem to want an Islamic state based on Sharia law to be up in arms that Christians have some effect on U.S. government? As much as people like to point out hypocrisy on this forum, this seems to be a golden example of it.

czgibson
07-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Is it just me, is it sort of odd for people who seem to want an Islamic state based on Sharia law to be up in arms that Christians have some effect on U.S. government? As much as people like to point out hypocrisy on this forum, this seems to be a golden example of it.
Which Muslims are you referring to exactly? Everyone who's commented on the article so far is a non-Muslim!

Peace

sonz
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Greetings,

Which Muslims are you referring to exactly? Everyone who's commented on the article so far is a non-Muslim!

Peace
lol exactly

something is not right, blame the muslims

:D

Dahir
07-17-2006, 10:06 PM
something is not right, blame the muslims
Where are they?!:D

snakelegs
07-17-2006, 10:14 PM
i find it rather alarming - the influence they wield in american politics.

Dahir
07-17-2006, 10:22 PM
i find it rather alarming - the influence they wield in american politics.
They started this whole "Islamic Terror" blame game, when indeed Colombia is the largest producer of terror incidents at home and abroad.

I think the "Evangies" are pushing for the Tenth Crusade, as Bush said it himself, "We are beginning a crusade on Terror," and who are Terrorists?:D

Keltoi
07-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Greetings,

Peace
The article was posted by a Muslim. I don't look at each person's avatar and see what their religion is, but the point was the article being posted in the first place. I assume he didn't post this article in support of evangelical Christians gaining power in the U.S. government. Unless this was meant to be "Republicans are bad" statement, in that case I could have jumped the gun on this one.

HeiGou
07-18-2006, 10:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
They started this whole "Islamic Terror" blame game, when indeed Colombia is the largest producer of terror incidents at home and abroad.
Name me a single terrorist incident that the Colombians produced outside of Colombia.

I think the "Evangies" are pushing for the Tenth Crusade, as Bush said it himself, "We are beginning a crusade on Terror," and who are Terrorists?:D
Nothing wrong with Crusades. Just means Jihad after all. The terrorists are the ones who fly planes into buildings and blow up trains in Mumbai. Just in case you missed it

czgibson
07-18-2006, 11:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
The article was posted by a Muslim. I don't look at each person's avatar and see what their religion is, but the point was the article being posted in the first place. I assume he didn't post this article in support of evangelical Christians gaining power in the U.S. government.
Right - an assumption. Incidentally, I think it's usually a good idea to check each contributor's faith position if you're not sure. But there are always those secretive souls who've gone for "Undisclosed" - you've got to watch for them!

Unless this was meant to be "Republicans are bad" statement, in that case I could have jumped the gun on this one.
That would be my assumption. Mr. Bush is not very popular round these parts. From my point of view, that's a tribute to the good sense of the majority of the people who post here.

Peace

scentsofjannah
07-18-2006, 12:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by catmando
TELL me about it. :rollseyes I'm moving toward the Atlantic Ocean as soon as I can. Hard to get away from the loonies, but Raleigh NC is a very nice liberal University town. Besides, my sister lives there.
NC as in North Carolina?

catmando
07-18-2006, 12:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
NC as in North Carolina?
Yes. Much of the state is what I would call "unreconstructed"(read very poor) but there are pockets of civilization like the Charlotte/Raleigh/Durham triangle.

I just don't want to die in Texas.

scentsofjannah
07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
havent heard of any terrorism exported from Columbia except for the export of drugs and gangs to many countries around the world..and i dont think anyone would dispute the claim that it is having a terrorising effect on many communities.

but for goodness lets not make this a debate..Columbian people are suffering from terrorism...just because its internal terrorism doesnt mean its any less important and tragic.

scentsofjannah
07-18-2006, 12:24 PM
i dont have a problem with traditional christians be they Protestant/Catholic/Methodist..but evangelical talking in tongues christians are something else haha!

sad that they even look down upon traditional christians..

Geronimo
07-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Yes. Much of the state is what I would call "unreconstructed"(read very poor) but there are pockets of civilization like the Charlotte/Raleigh/Durham triangle.

I just don't want to die in Texas.
Wow so if you are poor you aren't civilized?

czgibson
07-18-2006, 02:14 PM
Greetings,
Wow so if you are poor you aren't civilized?
I'm not sure that is quite the point being made here, despite some rather crass phrasing. If someone is poor, they are less likely to have access to higher-level education, and the less educated someone is, the more likely they are to adopt a high-belief faith-position - that is, a faith-position that demands belief in miracles, literal scriptural truth and so on. More highly educated people do not tend to believe in these things. None of this has anything to do with being civilised, but everything to do with religious adherence and the influence of education upon it.

See this paper for details on this apparent correlation: Education and Religion

It's a controversial argument, but I believe there is definitely some truth in it.

Peace

catmando
07-18-2006, 10:56 PM
cz I believe Mr. Geronimo, for whatever reasons known only to himself, has taken it upon himself to follow me around and ask stupid questions in the hope I will lash out at him and make myself look foolish. I'm far too old a hand at the internet forum game to fall for that.

scentsofjannah
07-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Yes Mr. Paine was a Deist as you can tell from that statement; no Christian would have uttered those words.

In my sig, Paine emotes his contempt for Organized Religion, which he believes was the cause of much human misery throughout history.

what was the USSR about? communism?..be honest..honesty is the best policy..

scentsofjannah
07-22-2006, 11:11 PM
i also want to add this..i spoke to this chinese guy on the net once and he told me (this was in a chatroom) that he is in the chinese army and he hunts christians and muslims..and that he'll fight to death to ensure China remains communist.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.