/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did the prophet Mohammed wear a turban

Khoza
07-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Did the prophet Mohammed wear a turban since some of my Muslim mates go yes and others go no so could anyone clarify this by providing a decent link:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ghazi
07-17-2006, 08:25 PM
:sl:

Not sure but at the end of the day a turban is a turban just a piece of cloth.

Khoza
07-17-2006, 08:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

I know but i would just like to know

Nawal89
07-17-2006, 08:35 PM
The prophet peace be upon him did wear the turban. He used to wear it hanging really short in the back. Also it's not allowed to wear the turban all piled up on the head like how the sikhs do it. My sister read the hadeeth to me the other night from Saheeh al-bukhari. I dont exactly remember it now but i'll look it up when i have tim einshaAllah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Khoza
07-17-2006, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
The prophet peace be upon him did wear the turban. He used to wear it hanging really short in the back. Also it's not allowed to wear the turban all piled up on the head like how the sikhs do it. My sister read the hadeeth to me the other night from Saheeh al-bukhari. I dont exactly remember it now but i'll look it up when i have tim einshaAllah.
Could you clarify whether the following is true:

Prophet Muhammad himself spoke strongly in favor of the turban, as can be seen from the following hadiths (i.e. saying of Prophet Muhammad):

"The turban is a frontier between faith and unbelief."

"My community shall not fall away so long as they wear turban."

"At the day of the judgement, a man shall receive a light for each turn of the turban round his head."

"Wear turbans, for thus you will gain in generosity."

"Wear turbans and thus distinguish yourselves from the peoples who came before you."

Isaac
07-17-2006, 09:40 PM
there are many hadeeth in which there is mention of muhammed pbuh wearing an imamah/truban. Some are mentioned above.

Nawal89
07-18-2006, 03:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khoza

Prophet Muhammad himself spoke strongly in favor of the turban, as can be seen from the following hadiths (i.e. saying of Prophet Muhammad):

"At the day of the judgement, a man shall receive a light for each turn of the turban round his head."

"Wear turbans and thus distinguish yourselves from the peoples who came before you."
where did you get those hadeeths from bro? They seem to be taken from true hadeeths but someone added the word turban.:offended:

the difference between the beleiver and non believer is prayers. This person might have taken it from this hadeeth and added the word turban.:X

My community shall not fall away so long as they wear turban
another one, a person is still in a good state of his religion as long as he doesnt shed any haram blood.

as have never heard any of those turban hadeeths before tho. Allahu A'lam

Fishman
07-18-2006, 04:17 PM

I could find no Muslim information on these hadiths, the only articles about them were written by Sikhs.
:w:

Fishman
07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by byzantine
Anyone know what color Prophet Muhammed likes ?
I think it was either green or white, although I heard someone say that he liked all colours except yellow.

shariq_0189
07-18-2006, 05:58 PM
wow people know how to twist things up these days, we shouldnt jus listen to anyone about topics like these. i think the best to do is to research it in the hadeeth books or ask local imams and there was this other book my local mufti was tellin me about it has all the things tht the prophet SAW did, and he said its a really great book if u want to follow sunnat. inshallah i will ask him and let u knw if anyone wanted to knw. Jazakillah wasalam

Hijrah
07-18-2006, 07:01 PM
THE TURBAN HE WORE WAS BLACK

Fishman
07-18-2006, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hijrah

Are you sure those are his? Relics like this are very dubious.

Hijrah
07-18-2006, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Are you sure those are his? Relics like this are very dubious.
Well, it's in a museum in Turkey, i don't know how there is a reason to lie I don't know where the Hadith but he DID wore a black turban...

Fishman
07-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, it's in a museum in Turkey, i don't know how there is a reason to lie I don't know where the Hadith but he DID wore a black turban...
Some people want to gain fame by saying things like 'I have a hair of the Prophet', or 'I have Muhammad's (pbuh) sandal'. Then some people take these claims seriously and put them in the museums.

Hijrah
07-18-2006, 08:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Some people want to gain fame by saying things like 'I have a hair of the Prophet', or 'I have Muhammad's (pbuh) sandal'. Then some people take these claims seriously and put them in the museums.
o wow..as far as I know, I'm pretty sure his turban was black though

scentsofjannah
07-18-2006, 09:26 PM

I seriously doubt these hadeeths are authentic...in the end of the day turbans are cultural..not specific to thos or that ethnic group and certainly they dont give anyone 'points'

S_87
07-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Did the prophet Mohammed wear a turban since some of my Muslim mates go yes and others go no so could anyone clarify this by providing a decent link:?

there are some reports that Muhammed :arabic5: wore a turban ie

Narrated Jafar bin Amr: My father said, "I saw the Prophet passing wet hands over his turban and Khuffs
Bukhari

Umar001
07-18-2006, 09:50 PM

Is this the same websitet hat has the turban of Yusuf Aleyhis salam and pots and cookery stuff of Ibrahim aleyhis salam?

Isaac
07-18-2006, 09:55 PM
what is the big deal. and sister if those that wish to wear the turban, let them if they feel following the sunnah of the beloved prophet will increase their love for him, then let them wear the imamah. Like i read in another post, if its culture, then id rather follow the culture of muahmmed pbuh.

and if they are not authentic hadeeth, then here are some authenitc ones. a very good artilce.

Revive a Sunnah: The Turban

By: Sheikhul Hadith Hadhrat Moulana Fadhlur Rahman Saheb

One must affirm that there can be absolutely no doubt in the fact that each and every Sunnah of our beloved Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam is considered supreme and well worthy of emulation by a true believer of and follower of his esteemed lifestyle. In fact a true lover of Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam would be prepared to give his life for the practical preservation of even one Sunnah. A true Ummati of Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam is one who endeavors to emulate every Sunnah, whether it is connected to the Ibaadat (worship) of Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam or his habit or lifestyle (the manner of his eating, walking, dressing etc.)

Concerning the turban Hadhrat Sheikhul Hadith Moulana Mohammed Zakariya Khandalwi Rahmatullah alayhi has written in ‘Khasâil-e-Nabawi’ (commentary of Shamâil Tirmizi):

The tying of the turban is a ‘Sunnat-e-Mustamirrah’ (perpetually adhered to practice of Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam). Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam has enjoined the tying of the turban upon us. It has been reported: "Tie the turban. It will increase you in forbearance." (Fathul Baari) It is also reported that somebody enquired of Hadhrat Ibn Umar Radhiallahu anhu whether the tying of the turban was sunnat or not. He replied in the affirmative.

It is reported in one hadith that Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said: " Wear the turban as it is a sign of Islam and it distinguishes between a Muslim and a Kâfir." (Ainee)

Ahâdith pertaining to the Turban
Hadhrat Huraith Radhiallahu anhu reports that Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam addressed the people while wearing a black turban (Sahih Muslim Vol.1 Pg.439)

In another narration it is reported: "I saw Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam wearing a black turban." ( Shamaail Tirmizi Pg.8)

Hadhrat Jaabir Radhiallahu anhu reports that on the occasion of the conquest of Makkah, Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam entered Makkah Mukarramah while wearing a black turban. (Sahih Muslim Vol.1 Pg439)

Hadhrat Ibn Abbas Radhiallahu anhu reports that during the illness just prior to his passing away, Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam addressed the Sahabah Radhiallahu anhum while wearing a black turban. (Sahih Bukhari Vol.1 Pg536)

Hadhrat Anas Radhiallahu anhu reports: "I saw Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam performing wudhu. He had on a ‘Qitri’ turban…" (A type of thick coarse cloth with an element of redness in it). (Abû Dawûd Pg.19)

The Sahabah and the Turban
Abu Umar Radhiallahu anhu reports that he saw Hadhrat Ibn Umar Radhiallahu anhu purchasing such a turban which had designs on it. Thereafter he requested for a scissors and cut it off.(Ibn Majah Pg.26)

A lengthy incident has been mentioned in Sahih Bukhari where Hadhrat Abdullah bin Ateek Radhiallahu anhu says: "It was a moonlit night when I fell down breaking my calf. I used my TURBAN to form a bandage around it and proceeded ahead………." (Vol.2 Pg.577)

Sulaiman Radhiallahu anhu says: "I saw those Sahabah who were from the Muhâjirîn-e Awwalîn (those who were among the first to migrate to Madinah) wearing turbans of cotton material." (Mussanaf Ibn Abi Shaibah Vol.8 Pg.241)

It is mentioned that on the day of the martyrdom of 'Ûthmân Radhiallahu anhu, Hadhrat Ali Radhiallahu anhu had on a black turban. (Ibid Vol.8 Pg.235)

Nafi’ Rahmatullah alayhi says: "I saw Ibn Umar Radhiallahu anhu wearing a turban the tail of which hung between the shoulders."(Ibid Vol.8 Pg.2)

The Scholars of Hadith and the Turban
It is mentioned concerning Imaam Bukhari Rahmatullah alayhi that when he prepared to travel towards Samarqand, he tied a turban and wore leather socks. (Muqadama Fathul Bari Pg.493)

It is also reported regarding Imâm Muslim Rahmatullah alayhi that once he placed his ‘chaadar’ (shawl) on his turban in front of his teacher and left the class. (Ibid Pg.491) This proves that Imaam Muslim Rahmatullah alayhi attended the lessons of Hadith wearing a turban.

Virtue of the Turban
The mere fact that the wearing of the turban is proven to be Sunnat is in itself a sufficient and complete appraisal of its virtue and should provide the necessary impetus towards its adoption. However, there exist a multitude of narrations expounding the virtue of the turban. Many of them are ‘Daîf’ [weak]. However it is an accepted principle that a coupling of a multitude of ‘weak’ narrations concerning the virtue of a specified act lends credence towards its practice and acceptability of the said virtue.

Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam is reported to have said: "Hold on to the turban as it is a sign of the angels. Also let the loose end hang from the back." (Baihaqi)

"Adopt the turban as it will increase your forbearance." (Mustadrak of Hâkim)

"Some of Allah Ta’âla’s angels stand at the door of the Musjid and seek repentance on behalf of those wearing white turbans." (Al Maqaasidul Hasanah pg.466)

"The turban distinguishes the Muslims from the Mushriks (polytheists). (Ibid)

"Allah Ta’âla causes his mercy to descend on the people wearing turbans on the day of Jummah and his Angels make du’â for such people." (Dailami)

It is perhaps due to these very narrations that the Fuqahâ [Jurists] have accepted the fact that the reward of the Salaat performed while wearing a turban is greater than one performed without it. (Fatawa Rashidia Pg.326; Fatâwa Rahimia Vol. 4 Pg.359). Hence despite the weakness of these narrations, their number lends credence to the opinion that such increase in reward is in fact promised.

The length of the Turban

Allama Suyuti Rahmatullah alayhi has written in ‘Alhaawi fil Fataawa’ that there is no narration from which the length of Nabi’s Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam turban can be proven. (Tuhfatul Ahwazi Vol.1 Pg.49)

Hadhrat Sheikh Zakaria Rahmatullah alayhi writes; "No mention can be found among the reliable traditions concerning the length of the turban of Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam" (Khasaail-e-Nabawi Pg.67)

The loose end of the Turban
It is preferable that the turban be tied in such a manner as to allow either one or both ends of it to hang down in the form of a tail or loose end. The loose end may be allowed to hang in the back or the front. However most narrations mention the tail as being at the back. Some Scholars have attested to the permissibility of tying the turban in such a manner that no loose end is left hanging at the back or the front. (Jam’ul Wasaa’il Vol.1 Pg.168)

The colour of the Turban
In the light of the Ahâdith it is learnt that a white turban is the most preferable while black is also Sunnah. However the adoption of any colour will be regarded as fulfilling of the Sunnah as long as some mention is found of it in the Ahâdith.

The Turban and Salaat
Hadhrat Moulana Rashid Ahmed Gangohi Rahmatullah alayhi has written the following in reply to a question; "To make Imaamat (lead the congregation) without a turban is completely permissible without any degree of reprehensibility. ………However there is no denying of the fact that with a turban, the reward is increased." (Fatâwa Rashidia Pg.326)

Allamah Anwar Shah Kashmiri Rahmatullah alayhi writes; "From the Fiqhi (juristic) point of view we find that it is mustahab (preferable) that Salaat be performed while wearing three items of clothing, one of them being the turban." (Faizul Bari Vol.2 Pg.8)

In conclusion let us understand that complete success lies in following and emulating every aspect of the blessed lifestyle of our beloved Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam. The Sahaba Radhiallahu anhum understood this. Therefore their emulation knew no bounds. The eating, drinking, sleeping and dressing of Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam became theirs. Let us also follow in their footsteps. May Allah Ta’âla grant the entire Ummat the ability to revive all the Sunnah practices of Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam. (Âmîn)

Isaac
07-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Hadiths on turbans

(Bukhari Shareef Vol.1 Pg. 33)
Hazrat Mughaira ibn Sho'ba (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
performed wudu and made Masah of the front portion of his head as well as of his turban and
leather socks.

(Muslim Shareef Vol. 1 Pg. 134)
Hazrat Huraith (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed the
people while wearing a black turban.

(Shamaail Tirmizi Pg 8; Ibn Majah Pg.256)
Hazrat Jaabir (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that on the occasion of Fath-e-Makkah (The
Conquest of Makkah), Nabi (Sallallaliu Alaihi Wasallam) entered Makkah Mukarramah while
wearing a black turban.

(Muslim Vol.1 Pg. 439; Tirmizi Vol.1 Pg 304; lbnMajah Pg. 256)
Hazrat Ibn Abbas (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that during the illness just prior to his passing
away, Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) addressed the Sahaba while wearing a black turban

Hazrat Abu Saeed Khudri (Radiallahu Anhu) narrates: " It was the practice of Nabi (Sallallahu
Alaihi Wasallam) that whenever he wore a new item of clothing, he would (first) take the name
of it. i.e. turban or Kurta or Chaadar (cloak). Thereafter, he would make the following dua - "O
Allah, I am indeed grateful to You for this clothing which You have granted me. I beg of You
the virtue of it and the benefit for which it was made. I seek protection in You from its harm and
from the evil which it was created for
Hazrat Huraith (Radiallahu Anhu) narrates that he saw Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
standing on the pulpit while he had on a black turban. Both the loose ends of the turban were
hanging between his shoulder blades.
(Muslim Vol.1 Pg. 490; Ibn Abi Shaibah Vol.8, Pg.239, Ibn Majah Pg. 256, Pg.653)

Hazrat Ayesha (Radiallahu Anha) narrates that once a person riding a Turkish horse (a
particular breed of horse) came to Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). The rider had on a
turban, the tail of which hung between his shoulders. She questioned Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi
Wasallam) concerning him. Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) expressed surprise over the fact
that she had seen the rider and informed her that it was Jibraeel (Alayhis Salaam).

Hazrat Ayesha (Radiallahu Anha) narrates that Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam)
tied on the turban of Hazrat Abdur Rahmaan Ibn Auf (Radiallahu Anhu) and allowed for a tail
the length of four fingers. He said: "When I ascended to the sky (reference to the Meraj), I saw
that most of the angels had on turbans"

Hazrat Ubadah (Radiallahu Anhu) reports that Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "Make a
practice of tying turbans since it is a hallmark of the Angels. Futhermore, tie them in such a
manner that the tail hangs at the back".
(Baihaqi reported it in Shu'abul Iman; Mishkat Pg. 377)

Adopt the turban as it will increase your forebearance.
Hold fast to the turban as it is the sign of the angels. Also let the loose end hang from the back
(Baihaqi has reported this from Ibn Abbas (Radiallahu Anhu) marffoo'an (a narration in which
the words of Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam are reported).
.The reward of the Salah performed while wearing the turban is multiplied 25 times while
(Dailami has reported this in his Musnad from Ibn Urnar (Radiallahu Anhu)
The angels attend the Jumu'ah while wearing turbans. Hence, those people who are wearing
turbans receive the benefit that the angels make dua for them till sunset.

Isaac
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Raheem
As Salat us Salaam Alaa RasulAllah
Am Ma Baad........
Quote of the Month.....
"Doing a little of the Sunna is better than striving hard in bid'ah (innovation) "
From Ibn Mas`ood (Radhiallaahu Ánhu)

Assalaam Alaikum Wa Ramatullahi Wa Barakatuhu
Welcome to Uthman's page on Sunna Clothes

This month's Issue......."The SUNNA cloths, Imaamah (Turban), Kufi (cap), Izar (loincloth) and Thawb (long shirt or Qamis) in light of the Holy Quran and Sahih Hadith and in the Opinions of the great scholars....

We glorify Allah and ask blessing on and salute on His noble Prophet, his companions and those follow him in upholding the cause of the right religion. It is great Mercy of Allah (s.w.t.) that He has showered with most valuable treasure in this earth, that is Islam, a true guidance.

Contents..
Following the Sunnah in the Light of Quran
The sticking to the Sunnah from Sahih Hadith
The Imaamah (Turban) in Islam
The Kufi (cap) in Islam
The Izar (loincloth) in Islam
The Thawb (long shirt or Qamis) In Islam
Praying bareheaded (without a turban or kufi)
The sayings of great Ullima (scholars) on wearing the clothes of the unbelievers

In the Light of the Quran....(This tafseer is Agreed upon by Ibn Kathir, Al-Qurtabi and At-Tabari)

The Holy Quran, Sura #3;Ayah #31
"Say (O Muhammad SAW to mankind): "If you (really) love Allâh then follow me (i.e. accept Islâmic Monotheism, follow the Qur'ân and the Sunnah), Allâh will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allâh is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful."

The Holy Quran, Sura #33;Ayah #21
"Indeed in the Messenger of Allâh (Muhammad SAW) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allâh and the Last Day and remembers Allâh much."

The Holy Quran, Sura #42;Ayah #52
"And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad SAW) Ruhan (an Inspiration, and a Mercy) of Our Command. You knew not what is the Book, nor what is Faith? But We have made it (this Qur'ân) a light wherewith We guide whosoever of Our slaves We will. And verily, you (O Muhammad SAW) are indeed guiding (mankind) to the Straight Path (i.e. Allâh's religion of Islâmic Monotheism)."

The Holy Quran, Sura #59;Ayah #7
"And whatever the Prophet gives you, ACCEPT IT and whatever he forbids you, ABSTAIN (from it)"

In the Light of the Sahih Hadith..

Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 92, Hadith # 401
Narrated Ibn `Umar (Radhiallaahu Án): Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wore a gold ring and then the people followed him and wore gold rings too. Then the Prophet said, "I had this golden ring made for myself." He then threw it away and said, "I shall never put it on." Thereupon the people also threw their rings away. Note: Look at hoe strict the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Án) were in following the Sunnah of Rasulullah (SAW) what ever he did they followed him.

Abu Dawud and Imaam Ahmad Bin Hanbal
On the authority of Ibn `Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) who said that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Whoso resembles a people in appearance, he is one of them." (Also narrated by Ibn Abi Shayba in his Musannaf (5:313), Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari 10:274 [Dar al-Fikr ed.], and Ibn Kathir in his Tafsir (8:53). `Iraqi said its chain is sound (sahih). al-Bazzar also relates it through Hudhayfa and Abu Hurayra, Abu Nu`aym through Anas, and al-Quda`i relates it through Tawus, a chain which Ibn Hibban declared sahih. Ibn Taymiyya in his Iqtida' al-siratal- mustaqim (p. 82) calls Abu Dawud's and Ahmad's chain "a good chain." )

Tirmidhi (hasan), Book of knowledge; al-Baghawi, Sharh al-sunna 1:233.
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnahs which was eliminated after my time will receive the reward of all those who practice it without their reward being diminished"

Tirmidhi (hasan gharib), Book of knowledge.
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) Said "Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnahs, he loves me: and whoever loves me is with me."

Al-Mundhiri, al-Targhib 1:87; Al-Hakim
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) Said "The keeper of my Sunnah at the time my Community has lapsed into corruption will receive the reward of a martyr."

Al-Bayhaqi, al-Sunan al-kubra 5:245; Ibn al-Athir, Usd al-ghaba 3:341; Dhahabi narrates that Abdullah Ibn `Umar (Radhiallaahu Án), used to dismount in order to walk on the exact same spot the Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) had put his steps. Note: This is how strict the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) were in following the Sunnah of Rasulullah (SAW)! And they understood the deen better than us.

The Imaama (Turban) in the light of Quran, Hadith and opinions of great scholars.....

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume #1 pg#536
Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) addresses the Shaba while wearing a black turban.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume #1, Book 4, Hadith # 204
Narrated Ja'far bin 'Amr: My father said, "I saw the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) passing wet hands over his turban and Khuffs (leather socks)."

Sahih Al- Muslim Book 2, Hadith # 0535
Narrated Bilal ibn Rabah: Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wiped over the socks (khufs) and turban (Imaamah). In the hadith transmitted by Isa ibn Yunus the words are: 'Bilal narrated it to me.

Sahih Al- Muslim Book 7, Hadith # 3146
Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah: Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) entered Mecca. Qutaybah stated that he entered Mecca in the Year of Victory, wearing a black turban, but not wearing the Ihram. (also reported by Tirmidhi vol.1 pg 304 and Ibn majah pg205)

Sahih Al- Muslim Book 7, Hadith # 3148
Narrated Amr ibn Hurayth (Radhiallaahu Án) Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) addressed the people (on the day of the Victory of Mecca) with a black turban on his head.

Sanan Abu Dawood Book 1, Hadith # 0147
Narrated Anas ibn Malik: I saw Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) perform ablution. He had a Qutri turban. He inserted his hand beneath the turban and wiped over the forelock, and did not untie the turban.

Sanan Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4027
Narrated Sa'd: I saw a man riding on a white mule and he had a black turban of silk and wool (not pure silk). He said: The Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) put it (the turban) on me. This is the version of Uthman, and there is the word akhbara in his tradition.

Sanan Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4068
Narrated AbdurRahman ibn Awf: Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) put a turban on me and let the ends hang in front of him and behind me.

Tirmidhi from the book Shamaa'il Tirmidhi pg #108 Hadith # 109
Amr bin Hurayth (Radhiallaahu Án) relates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) gave the khutbah and he was wearing a black turban on his head.

Abu Dawood and Tirmidhi
Roknah (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "The distinction between us and the polytheists is the turbans over our caps. "Note : Also quoted by Al-Tabrizi in his Mishkat Al-Masabih and this clears up the false notion that this was just the way of the arabs and not a particular practice of Rasulullah (SAW) and this shows us that we should wear caps under our Imaamas to differentiate from the sieks and other Kufar who wear turbans but without caps under them.

Tabrani, Haakim and Nahabi have mentioned this to be SAHIH Hadith
Ataa bin Rabaah (Radhiallaahu Án) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) tied a white turban (Imaama) on the head or AbdulRahman ibn Auf (Radhiallaahu Án).

MISHKAT page #377 and also reported by Baihaqi in Shuabul Imaan.
Ubadah (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) "Make a practice of tying Turbans since it is a hallmark of the angels." Note: Here Rasulullah(SAW) is even advising others to wear the Imaama!

Tabrani
Musa Ashari (Radhiallaahu Án) narrates that Jibraeel would come to Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wearing a turban.

Haakim cited in the book Mustadrak Haakim vol34 pg#540
Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) reports a on the occasion of the battle of the trench a man came to Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wearing a Turban and when she asked Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) about this man he informed her this was Jibraeel.
(Haakim has declared this hadith to be SAHIH)

At-Tabrani and Haakim reports this to be reliable Hassan
(Also quoted in Tabarani's al-Mu`jam al-kabir (1:162), Bazzar's Zawa'id, al-Hakim's Mustadrak (4:193), al-Khatib al- Baghdadi's Tarikh Baghdad (11:394), and Ibn `Asakir's Tahdhib tarikh dimashq al-kabir (5:178). Also in the book Turban Thowb and kufi by Maulana FazlurRahman on pg#24)
Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah(SAW) said "Adopt the Turban as it will increase your Hilm ( good character, intelligence, patience)."

The opions of great Scholars on the Turban...

Al-Munawi said in the commentary on Tirmidhi's al-Shama'il.
"The turban is a Sunnah, especially for prayer and for self beautification, because of the many narration's concerning it."

Shaikh-ul-hadith Zakarriya Khandalwi (Rahimahullah)
"The tying of the Turban is a "Sunnate Mustamirrah" (Prepetually adhered to the practice of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) and Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) has enjoined the tying of the turban upon us. It has been reported in the hadith that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Tie the turban. it will increase you in forbearance."

Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Jameel Zino (Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University) in his book Al-Shamail Al-Muhammadiyyah on page #106)
Headwear are symbols of nations and many Muslims imitate the unbelievers by wearing their head wear. In fact, covering their heads with a Turban, or even a scarf, is better for them and further from resembling the unbelievers.

Maulana Fazlul Karim
(This is from his commentary of Mishkat vol#1 pg#630)
"The holy Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) used to wear a Turban and he said that the angels also wear it in the heavens and the turban protects the head and adorns the face."

Murtada al-Zabidi (Rahimahullah)
(In his commentary on Ghazali's Ihya' `ulum al-din entitled Ithaf al-sadat al-muttaqin 3:253.)
"The turban is desired (mustahabb) on Fridays for both the imam and the congregation, and Nawawi said that it is desired for the imam to beautify his appearance (i.e. more than everyone else), wear the turban, and wear a rida' (jubba, a loose outer garment or robe). The application of the Sunnah consists in winding the turban on the head or on top of a qalansuwa (kufi). It is preferable to wear it large, but it is necessary to define its length and width by what fits the wearer's custom according to his time and place. To add to this is disliked by the Law."

The Practice of the pious scholars...

Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani (Rahimahullah) mentioned in FathulBaari pg#491 and 493
That Imaam Bukhari and Imaam Muslim both wore Turbans.
Note: that they were not arabs but took this practice as the Sunna of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) .

Ibn Al-Jawzi and Ibn Al-Qayyim
(In Rawdat al-muhibbin p. 225.)
"Hasan al-Basri (Rahimahullah) wore a Black Turban"

Imaam Nawawi (Rahimahullah)
( quoted from the biographical notice for Imaam Nawawi in the Reliance of the Traveller.)
"Imaam Nawawi all his life possessed only a thawb (long shirt) and a turban"

Isaac
07-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Raheem
As Salat us Salaam Alaa RasulAllah
Am Ma Baad........
Quote of the Month.....
"Doing a little of the Sunna is better than striving hard in bid'ah (innovation) "
From Ibn Mas`ood (Radhiallaahu Ánhu)

Assalaam Alaikum Wa Ramatullahi Wa Barakatuhu
Welcome to Uthman's page on Sunna Clothes

This month's Issue......."The SUNNA cloths, Imaamah (Turban), Kufi (cap), Izar (loincloth) and Thawb (long shirt or Qamis) in light of the Holy Quran and Sahih Hadith and in the Opinions of the great scholars....

We glorify Allah and ask blessing on and salute on His noble Prophet, his companions and those follow him in upholding the cause of the right religion. It is great Mercy of Allah (s.w.t.) that He has showered with most valuable treasure in this earth, that is Islam, a true guidance.

Contents..
Following the Sunnah in the Light of Quran
The sticking to the Sunnah from Sahih Hadith
The Imaamah (Turban) in Islam
The Kufi (cap) in Islam
The Izar (loincloth) in Islam
The Thawb (long shirt or Qamis) In Islam
Praying bareheaded (without a turban or kufi)
The sayings of great Ullima (scholars) on wearing the clothes of the unbelievers

In the Light of the Quran....(This tafseer is Agreed upon by Ibn Kathir, Al-Qurtabi and At-Tabari)

The Holy Quran, Sura #3;Ayah #31
"Say (O Muhammad SAW to mankind): "If you (really) love Allâh then follow me (i.e. accept Islâmic Monotheism, follow the Qur'ân and the Sunnah), Allâh will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allâh is Oft Forgiving, Most Merciful."

The Holy Quran, Sura #33;Ayah #21
"Indeed in the Messenger of Allâh (Muhammad SAW) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allâh and the Last Day and remembers Allâh much."

The Holy Quran, Sura #42;Ayah #52
"And thus We have sent to you (O Muhammad SAW) Ruhan (an Inspiration, and a Mercy) of Our Command. You knew not what is the Book, nor what is Faith? But We have made it (this Qur'ân) a light wherewith We guide whosoever of Our slaves We will. And verily, you (O Muhammad SAW) are indeed guiding (mankind) to the Straight Path (i.e. Allâh's religion of Islâmic Monotheism)."

The Holy Quran, Sura #59;Ayah #7
"And whatever the Prophet gives you, ACCEPT IT and whatever he forbids you, ABSTAIN (from it)"

In the Light of the Sahih Hadith..

Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 92, Hadith # 401
Narrated Ibn `Umar (Radhiallaahu Án): Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wore a gold ring and then the people followed him and wore gold rings too. Then the Prophet said, "I had this golden ring made for myself." He then threw it away and said, "I shall never put it on." Thereupon the people also threw their rings away. Note: Look at hoe strict the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Án) were in following the Sunnah of Rasulullah (SAW) what ever he did they followed him.

Abu Dawud and Imaam Ahmad Bin Hanbal
On the authority of Ibn `Umar (Radhiallaahu Án) who said that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Whoso resembles a people in appearance, he is one of them." (Also narrated by Ibn Abi Shayba in his Musannaf (5:313), Ibn Hajar in Fath al-Bari 10:274 [Dar al-Fikr ed.], and Ibn Kathir in his Tafsir (8:53). `Iraqi said its chain is sound (sahih). al-Bazzar also relates it through Hudhayfa and Abu Hurayra, Abu Nu`aym through Anas, and al-Quda`i relates it through Tawus, a chain which Ibn Hibban declared sahih. Ibn Taymiyya in his Iqtida' al-siratal- mustaqim (p. 82) calls Abu Dawud's and Ahmad's chain "a good chain." )

Tirmidhi (hasan), Book of knowledge; al-Baghawi, Sharh al-sunna 1:233.
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnahs which was eliminated after my time will receive the reward of all those who practice it without their reward being diminished"

Tirmidhi (hasan gharib), Book of knowledge.
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) Said "Whoever gives life to one of my Sunnahs, he loves me: and whoever loves me is with me."

Al-Mundhiri, al-Targhib 1:87; Al-Hakim
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) Said "The keeper of my Sunnah at the time my Community has lapsed into corruption will receive the reward of a martyr."

Al-Bayhaqi, al-Sunan al-kubra 5:245; Ibn al-Athir, Usd al-ghaba 3:341; Dhahabi narrates that Abdullah Ibn `Umar (Radhiallaahu Án), used to dismount in order to walk on the exact same spot the Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) had put his steps. Note: This is how strict the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) were in following the Sunnah of Rasulullah (SAW)! And they understood the deen better than us.

The Imaama (Turban) in the light of Quran, Hadith and opinions of great scholars.....

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume #1 pg#536
Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) addresses the Shaba while wearing a black turban.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume #1, Book 4, Hadith # 204
Narrated Ja'far bin 'Amr: My father said, "I saw the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) passing wet hands over his turban and Khuffs (leather socks)."

Sahih Al- Muslim Book 2, Hadith # 0535
Narrated Bilal ibn Rabah: Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wiped over the socks (khufs) and turban (Imaamah). In the hadith transmitted by Isa ibn Yunus the words are: 'Bilal narrated it to me.

Sahih Al- Muslim Book 7, Hadith # 3146
Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah: Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) entered Mecca. Qutaybah stated that he entered Mecca in the Year of Victory, wearing a black turban, but not wearing the Ihram. (also reported by Tirmidhi vol.1 pg 304 and Ibn majah pg205)

Sahih Al- Muslim Book 7, Hadith # 3148
Narrated Amr ibn Hurayth (Radhiallaahu Án) Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) addressed the people (on the day of the Victory of Mecca) with a black turban on his head.

Sanan Abu Dawood Book 1, Hadith # 0147
Narrated Anas ibn Malik: I saw Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) perform ablution. He had a Qutri turban. He inserted his hand beneath the turban and wiped over the forelock, and did not untie the turban.

Sanan Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4027
Narrated Sa'd: I saw a man riding on a white mule and he had a black turban of silk and wool (not pure silk). He said: The Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) put it (the turban) on me. This is the version of Uthman, and there is the word akhbara in his tradition.

Sanan Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4068
Narrated AbdurRahman ibn Awf: Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) put a turban on me and let the ends hang in front of him and behind me.

Tirmidhi from the book Shamaa'il Tirmidhi pg #108 Hadith # 109
Amr bin Hurayth (Radhiallaahu Án) relates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) gave the khutbah and he was wearing a black turban on his head.

Abu Dawood and Tirmidhi
Roknah (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "The distinction between us and the polytheists is the turbans over our caps. "Note : Also quoted by Al-Tabrizi in his Mishkat Al-Masabih and this clears up the false notion that this was just the way of the arabs and not a particular practice of Rasulullah (SAW) and this shows us that we should wear caps under our Imaamas to differentiate from the sieks and other Kufar who wear turbans but without caps under them.

Tabrani, Haakim and Nahabi have mentioned this to be SAHIH Hadith
Ataa bin Rabaah (Radhiallaahu Án) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) tied a white turban (Imaama) on the head or AbdulRahman ibn Auf (Radhiallaahu Án).

MISHKAT page #377 and also reported by Baihaqi in Shuabul Imaan.
Ubadah (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) "Make a practice of tying Turbans since it is a hallmark of the angels." Note: Here Rasulullah(SAW) is even advising others to wear the Imaama!

Tabrani
Musa Ashari (Radhiallaahu Án) narrates that Jibraeel would come to Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wearing a turban.

Haakim cited in the book Mustadrak Haakim vol34 pg#540
Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) reports a on the occasion of the battle of the trench a man came to Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wearing a Turban and when she asked Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) about this man he informed her this was Jibraeel.
(Haakim has declared this hadith to be SAHIH)

At-Tabrani and Haakim reports this to be reliable Hassan
(Also quoted in Tabarani's al-Mu`jam al-kabir (1:162), Bazzar's Zawa'id, al-Hakim's Mustadrak (4:193), al-Khatib al- Baghdadi's Tarikh Baghdad (11:394), and Ibn `Asakir's Tahdhib tarikh dimashq al-kabir (5:178). Also in the book Turban Thowb and kufi by Maulana FazlurRahman on pg#24)
Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Án) reports that Rasulullah(SAW) said "Adopt the Turban as it will increase your Hilm ( good character, intelligence, patience)."

The opions of great Scholars on the Turban...

Al-Munawi said in the commentary on Tirmidhi's al-Shama'il.
"The turban is a Sunnah, especially for prayer and for self beautification, because of the many narration's concerning it."

Shaikh-ul-hadith Zakarriya Khandalwi (Rahimahullah)
"The tying of the Turban is a "Sunnate Mustamirrah" (Prepetually adhered to the practice of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) and Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) has enjoined the tying of the turban upon us. It has been reported in the hadith that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Tie the turban. it will increase you in forbearance."

Shaikh Muhammad Ibn Jameel Zino (Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University) in his book Al-Shamail Al-Muhammadiyyah on page #106)
Headwear are symbols of nations and many Muslims imitate the unbelievers by wearing their head wear. In fact, covering their heads with a Turban, or even a scarf, is better for them and further from resembling the unbelievers.

Maulana Fazlul Karim
(This is from his commentary of Mishkat vol#1 pg#630)
"The holy Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) used to wear a Turban and he said that the angels also wear it in the heavens and the turban protects the head and adorns the face."

Murtada al-Zabidi (Rahimahullah)
(In his commentary on Ghazali's Ihya' `ulum al-din entitled Ithaf al-sadat al-muttaqin 3:253.)
"The turban is desired (mustahabb) on Fridays for both the imam and the congregation, and Nawawi said that it is desired for the imam to beautify his appearance (i.e. more than everyone else), wear the turban, and wear a rida' (jubba, a loose outer garment or robe). The application of the Sunnah consists in winding the turban on the head or on top of a qalansuwa (kufi). It is preferable to wear it large, but it is necessary to define its length and width by what fits the wearer's custom according to his time and place. To add to this is disliked by the Law."

The Practice of the pious scholars...

Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalani (Rahimahullah) mentioned in FathulBaari pg#491 and 493
That Imaam Bukhari and Imaam Muslim both wore Turbans.
Note: that they were not arabs but took this practice as the Sunna of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) .

Ibn Al-Jawzi and Ibn Al-Qayyim
(In Rawdat al-muhibbin p. 225.)
"Hasan al-Basri (Rahimahullah) wore a Black Turban"

Imaam Nawawi (Rahimahullah)
( quoted from the biographical notice for Imaam Nawawi in the Reliance of the Traveller.)
"Imaam Nawawi all his life possessed only a thawb (long shirt) and a turban"

Isaac
07-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Thats Shoudl Keep Us All Busy And Make Us Think.:? :?

Fishman
07-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I think that whilst we should distinguish ourselves from the non-Muslims, I don't think the turban is really the way to do it today, as very few Muslims wear a turban. I think that a thobe and kufi (or another type of cap) would do the job better.

Isaac, do you wear a turban normally?

Isaac
07-19-2006, 06:56 PM
yes i do, obviously when im at work i cant, due to my uniform. But i wear, not to think im more pious, any better, think im a a scholar, think that allah is going to enter me into jannah because of it. I wear it because i feel it increases my love for thr prophet of allah, muhammed pbuh. I wear it, not to make others thinks its an act which is obligatory, i wear it not to to make others feel different, i wear it because it was a practice of muahmmed pbuh. I wear it only because muhammed pbuh wore it. Had i not heard and read of it being a practice of muhammed pbuh, i would not wear it. And yes i do wear the cap and im not always wearing the turban. It is quite difficult in this hot weather. But i have my head coverd most of the time as this was a practice of muhammed pbuh.

Note - it is not obligatory, it is in my opinion a way for me to increase my lve for prophet muhammed pbuh. I like to emulate his ways, as i feel it brings me close to his love and makes me better understand him. This is why i wear it.

Isaac
07-19-2006, 07:02 PM
and also brother im not being funny but today many muslims have lef the sunnah of muhammed pbuh all together. Its not that just of the turban. Its the way he talked to others, the way he treated others, the obligatory things in islam which differentiate us between the non-muslims such as salat, zakat, hajj. so i think there are more important things muslims should be concentrating on suhc as things that are clear cut FARDH.

I think if brothers want to wear the imamah, then i have no problems with that, and if brothers dont want to wear it than i dont have aproblem with that. But what i do have a problem with is when people sometimes mock the turban, as it does not fit in with the latest trend, or it makes them look like extremist or medi-evilist. Remember it may not be an act which will gurantee us a placein heaven, but to mock it can end us up in hell.

Fishman
07-19-2006, 09:23 PM
yes i do, obviously when im at work i cant, due to my uniform. But i wear, not to think im more pious, any better, think im a a scholar, think that allah is going to enter me into jannah because of it. I wear it because i feel it increases my love for thr prophet of allah, muhammed pbuh. I wear it, not to make others thinks its an act which is obligatory, i wear it not to to make others feel different, i wear it because it was a practice of muahmmed pbuh. I wear it only because muhammed pbuh wore it. Had i not heard and read of it being a practice of muhammed pbuh, i would not wear it. And yes i do wear the cap and im not always wearing the turban. It is quite difficult in this hot weather. But i have my head coverd most of the time as this was a practice of muhammed pbuh.

Note - it is not obligatory, it is in my opinion a way for me to increase my lve for prophet muhammed pbuh. I like to emulate his ways, as i feel it brings me close to his love and makes me better understand him. This is why i wear it.
It's good to see that people love the prophet (pbuh) enough to do something that is not required, and may cause them difficulty.
As a new revert, I have problems with things like gaining love for the Prophet (pbuh), and the missionaries/athiests really did damage to me. When I was very new, I read a selection of quotes from the Prophet (pbuh), and they were amazing. I started feeling really good about the Prophet, and began an important process in gaining faith. But then I read some other quotes, written by missionaries and atheists, that really damaged my faith. Instead of feeling happy when I heard about something Muhammad (pbuh) did or said, I felt worried and started to get doubts. Even now, when I have finally found those quotes to be fake, I still merely respect the Prophet (pbuh), and I feel like part of my faith has been taken from me permanently.

Joe98
07-20-2006, 01:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Isaac
Thats Shoudl Keep Us All Busy And Make Us Think.:? :?

It makes me think I am glad I don't believe in any religion :brother:

Woodrow
07-20-2006, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98
It makes me think I am glad I don't believe in any religion :brother:
It seems that it would take a considerable amount of faith and research to be an Atheist. The world is constantly trying to prove an Atheist is wrong and the Atheist must back up his beliefs with constant research to find alternative explanations.

As I said before, I admire your Faith and tenacity in what you believe.

syilla
07-20-2006, 01:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
As I said before, I admire your Faith and tenacity in what you believe.
me too...i admire your faith. You look as if you are very strong dealing with problems and hardship in this life.

ahkar shams
07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth

A turban is just a turban!

a turban is not, just a turban. when the prophet sallahi alayhi wasalaam wore it, it therfore is sunnat and is way more than just a piece of cloth.

dont we ever think the sunnah as something very little.

prophet s.a.w wore a black turban in jihad and a white one at all other times he wore a amma'mah.

A7med
07-20-2006, 12:02 PM

That is from a Sikh site wich i just found......
Google Search 2nd link
http://www.sikhnet.com/s/TurbanHeritage (at the bottom of the page)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

prophet s.a.w wore a black turban in jihad and a white one at all other times he wore a amma'mah.
a ama'amah and a turban are the same... generally it is called a turban, arabic name is ama'amah.

Khoza
07-20-2006, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brown Clown
That is from a Sikh site wich i just found......
Google Search 2nd link
http://www.sikhnet.com/s/TurbanHeritage (at the bottom of the page)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

a ama'amah and a turban are the same... generally it is called a turban, arabic name is ama'amah.
Thanks for that but my quotes were not directly from the Sikhnet site however i will contact them to ask them whether those quotes are real since all of you on here dont think they are. So thanks for your time and i would like to say sorry for the late post but the damn builders have cut my internet connection cable outside so im posting from my cuz's:heated:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.