/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Media blamed for rising Islamophobia

sonz
07-18-2006, 08:41 PM
A survey carried out recently by Global Market Insite, Muslim Voice UK, Queens University in Belfast and the University of Liverpool, found that UK Muslims blame media bias towards them and the negative portrayal of Islam for the widespread misconception about the noble religion and the rising Islamophobia, according to UK’s The Guardian.

According to the survey, 40% of Muslims blame the media for widespread anti-Islamic feelings, while 74% of non-Muslims blame Islamophobia on September 11 attacks.

"The Muslim-West relations have become increasingly strained due to a string of events such as the September 11 attacks in 2001, the Afghanistan war in 2002, the Iraq war, the London bombings in 2005 and the Danish cartoon row,” said the report by Shaista Gohir, from online forum Muslim Voice UK.

"In this current climate, it is essential to gauge Muslim and non-Muslim attitudes with a view to resolving differences."

"It was striking that Muslims feel more strongly about international issues than say, their treatment by police or discrimination in the UK,” she said in her report.

"It also appears that Islamophobia, Western foreign policy and human rights abuses of Muslims are contributing substantially to the alienation of UK Muslims.

"On the other hand, non-Muslims are concerned about extremism, the lack of integration, Muslims not being proud to be British and the lack of tolerance by Muslims. However, the biggest threat to good Muslim and non-Muslim community relations is the misinformation on Islam in the media."

Islamophobia whether in the UK or elsewhere is not something that has suddenly appeared over the horizon because of the weather.

Anti-Muslim bias emerged from the policies of many Western governments, including the U.S. and Britain, who seek protecting their hegemony in the Middle East, through tarnishing the Muslims’ image to justify political and military interference in Arab and ME nations.

The rise in Islamophobia following September 11 attacks affected Muslims’ efforts to integrate in Western societies, and took them two steps backward.

However, Muslims started in recent years to play an active role in western nations’ societies, and in many countries they proved to have successfully integrated into the West, breaking the barrier that has long prevented real participation in those countries’ social life and political system.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
07-18-2006, 08:52 PM
Obviously there will be a certain feeling of Islamophobia by many people because of the state of Western/Islamic relations. Terrorism is obviously the main reason, and while the media does cover terrorism quite a bit, and I'm sure that raises the amount of Islamophobia, it would be disengenious to assume the media are the only ones to blame. Terrorism from Islamic extremists exists, and of course this leads to a certain reaction from Europeans and Americans towards Muslims in their communities. Doesn't justify it, but its just a reality.

Muezzin
07-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Don't blame the media. Blame the chavs.

Geronimo
07-18-2006, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
What a chav?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fishman
07-18-2006, 09:00 PM
:sl:
Lol, I wanted to give you rep for that one, but the rep thingy won't let me.

I blame the media about this. Recently I feel like the media bias is going down (terrorists are now called extremists rather than Islamists or fundimentalists), but the damage of the previous 'attacks' by the media has been done.

Islamophobia in schools is also awful. We had to watch a really offensive film in our French lesson (Team America), and I only found one pupil who didn't find the anti-Islamic and anti-Arab insults funny.
:w:

wilberhum
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
It’s the media’s fault. Of course. Blame the messenger. Don’t blame the terrorists. They are just a bunch of nice guys. Besides if we blame the media we don’t have to take any responsibility. Of course denial is a good thing.

Joe98
07-18-2006, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Islamophobia in schools is also awful. We had to watch a really offensive film in our French lesson (Team America)....

The film was anti- American and anti - George Bush.

It was very funny! :statisfie

Muezzin
07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
What a chav?
It's British slang for people like this.

KAding
07-18-2006, 11:36 PM

I blame the media about this. Recently I feel like the media bias is going down (terrorists are now called extremists rather than Islamists or fundimentalists), but the damage of the previous 'attacks' by the media has been done.

Islamophobia in schools is also awful. We had to watch a really offensive film in our French lesson (Team America), and I only found one pupil who didn't find the anti-Islamic and anti-Arab insults funny.
Team America is hilarious, lol. You can't seriously call it islamophobic, it's comedy for Gods sake.

I'm suprised you would watch it at school though! It is pretty offensive in general. And in French class, of all things! Although the opening scene in Paris was priceless, though a bit Americanophobic :p.

Fishman
07-19-2006, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Team America is hilarious, lol. You can't seriously call it islamophobic, it's comedy for Gods sake.

I'm suprised you would watch it at school though! It is pretty offensive in general. And in French class, of all things! Although the opening scene in Paris was priceless, though a bit Americanophobic :p.
I certainly didn't find it funny, I thought it was really racist and Islamophobic. And if 'derka derka Muhammad jihad' is not taking the mick out of Muslims and/or Arabs, then what is it?
I felt horrible after watching that for three hours afterwards.

The only thing that I found funny was 'Gary Dammon', or whatever that actor said.

Zionazi_Dissent
07-19-2006, 04:36 PM
I certainly didn't find it funny, I thought it was really racist and Islamophobic. And if 'derka derka Muhammad jihad' is not taking the mick out of Muslims and/or Arabs, then what is it?
I felt horrible after watching that for three hours afterwards.

The only thing that I found funny was 'Gary Dammon', or whatever that actor said.
It was Islamophobic for the most part, but there was a funny Kim-Jong Il scene I'll never forget :D

j4763
07-19-2006, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zionazi_Dissent
It was Islamophobic for the most part, but there was a funny Kim-Jong Il scene I'll never forget :D
I dont remember anything Islamophobic about it, maybe taking the piss out of the midldle east a bit but nothing about islam?

wilberhum
07-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Some people just can't laugh at themselves.

j4763
07-19-2006, 04:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
Some people just can't laugh at themselves.
You have to learn how to laugh at yourself before you can laugh at others (which imo most yanks can):)

Geronimo
07-19-2006, 05:05 PM

They crack on everyone in that movie, The French, The UN, the NK, Americans, celebrities, Arabs, actors, they were an equal oppurtunity offender. Actaully I liked it. I would have figured the puppet sex scene alone would have gotten it banned at school

Fishman
07-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I would have figured the puppet sex scene alone would have gotten it banned at school
I covered my eyes at that bit, but the teacher paused it on that scene when we were leaving the classroom!

Geronimo
07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
I covered my eyes at that bit, but the teacher paused it on that scene when we were leaving the classroom!
What country you go to school in becuase I gotta call bs on this one. Be truthful.

Fishman
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
What country you go to school in becuase I gotta call bs on this one. Be truthful.
United Kingdom.
We only watched part of the film, and on the next day when we came back in, the teacher decided that she found it offensive too (because of the sex and constant swearing), and made us watch Garfield instead.

Geronimo
07-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Oh ok

Muezzin
07-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Now that Team America's out of the way, shall we get back to the topic at hand?

It's a crazy idea... but it just might work!

j4763
07-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Now that Team America's out of the way, shall we get back to the topic at hand?

It's a crazy idea... but it just might work!
A thread stay actually stay on topic? Are mad man? ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.