/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 10 healthiest foods for kids

Ameeratul Layl
07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
:sl: :D

Our kids are getting bigger. Between junk food, fizzy drinks and lower activity levels, the rates of obesity in children are reaching frightening proportions.
So what should we be feeding them? Check out the top 10 list of healthy foods for your kids.

If you think your child may have a food allergy, ask your GP for advice.

1. Optimal oats
Full of B vitamins, iron, zinc and calcium, old-fashioned oats and porridge offer quick energy for busy kids. Full of carbs and fibre, it's a great breakfast option.

2. Egg 'em on
Eggs are a great source of protein and other nutrients, including the B vitamins, vitamin E and zinc. A healthy diet will include moderate amounts of all protein sources including meat, fish and alternatives such as eggs, pulses, nuts and beans. Young children should not be given raw eggs or eggs with runny yolks.

3. Nuttin' better
Nut butters are great fast foods for kids. Kids need the fat (it's a good fat if it doesn't have hydrogenated oils mixed in it) and they need the protein. And while peanuts can be problematic and even life threatening to allergic kids, other nut butters may be okay (but definitely check with your doctor first).

4. Culture club
A great source of calcium, yoghurt is easier to digest than regular milk, and the cultures (check the label says LIVE) are very beneficial to good colon health, especially if your child has been on antibiotics. Buy plain yoghurt and sweeten it yourself with fresh fruit.

5. Mmmm, mmmm melons!
Vitamin C, beta-carotene, bits and pieces of B vitamins and trace minerals and calcium fill every juicy bite. Melons are not to be missed when they're plentiful and in season.

6. Tree cheers!
Kids like to call broccoli "trees" and sometimes you can get picky kids to eat "trees" rather than broccoli. Broccoli is one of the best vegetables for anyone, especially growing kids, due to its calcium content and a whole host of other nutrients, such as potassium, beta-carotene and B vitamins.

7. Terrific tubers
Sweet potatoes contain 30mg of beta-carotene per serving. It would take 23 servings of broccoli to get that same amount! And with 3 grams of fibre per serving, sweet potatoes deserve a place at the table.

8. Protein power
The fact is that growing kids need protein to keep growing. How you're going to give it to them can vary widely, according to your preferences.

Good choices include legumes, beans (combined with a grain to make a complete protein), soy products such as tofu, or meat, fish or poultry.

9. The whole truth
The best nutrition is found in the whole grain. Brown rice and whole wheat bread are a quantum leap over their white counterparts and offer necessary fibre, minerals and vitamins. Don't short-change your kids with the white stuff.

10. OJ is ok
Kids can drink too much juice. However, that doesn't mean they should never drink juice. Just don't give it to them in place of water. Orange juice is full of vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, folate and zinc. You can buy calcium-fortified orange juice, too - it's great stuff in moderation.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
07-20-2006, 10:52 AM
i love my baby food :D

sevgi
07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
i dnt hav kids but it mite be good if i applied this diet to myself...:giggling:

afriend
07-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Our kids are getting bigger
Are they? :-\ I wish I was.......I am getting skinnier by the day :cry:

8. Protein power
The fact is that growing kids need protein to keep growing. How you're going to give it to them can vary widely, according to your preferences.

Good choices include legumes, beans (combined with a grain to make a complete protein), soy products such as tofu, or meat, fish or poultry.
Jazakallah for the post :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ameeratul Layl
07-20-2006, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

:sl:
Skinnier? WAllah, I agree (about myself). Ahh..let's not get into that.

Your all welcome

:w:

afriend
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Now...I don't even let myself go hungry, whenever I feel slightest bit hungry I run and get myself some pure fat foods...Yummy experience :p

Also, I have a very fast metabollism (good?)....So I burn up all my food pretty fast....

sevgi
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM

speaking of kid food, i found out in another thread that ur only 14...shocking...when i was 14 i didnt no wat a forum was...

anyway..im pretty good at getting threads off topic...so i'll try to not do that too often...

Ameeratul Layl
07-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Now...I don't even let myself go hungry, whenever I feel slightest bit hungry I run and get myself some pure fat foods...Yummy experience :p

Also, I have a very fast metabollism (good?)....So I burn up all my food pretty fast....

:sl:
I do the same!
Oh the beauty of fatty foods.:rollseyes

But, I would recommend eating good foods too. It'll keep spots and all the grease away!

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.