PDA

View Full Version : Racism

werdader
07-20-2006, 07:04 PM
i may of spelt it wrong i'm not sure
well. has some on been racist to you?
please tell us.

i will start us off:
at school we and fishman have this "friend" called <X> (can't put name cos i will feel guilty) well he started being racist to me - well hang on, hes not muslim, and LOOKS white. well i'm duel heritage (i'm half cast) and it rly angers me when hes racist, befor fishman and rehan(another muslim) would stick up for him, untill <X> called rehan. now we all hate him!

aniway thanx
salam
(i think thats how you spell it- well aniway peace)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Why not tell this guy to stop being racist? You said he's your friend after all.

wilberhum
07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
This is a "World Aiffairs" issue. Go in the corner and pout.

Muezzin
07-20-2006, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum
This is a "World Aiffairs" issue. Go in the corner and pout.
Subtle and tactful as always.

I'll move this thread to General Chat.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
07-20-2006, 07:14 PM
well baiscally i do understand cause am a revert my self as i am a halfcast cause my mam is a christain and me dad whom is an asian and i look like a christain and i hate it when people call me "whity" i take that offencive acause i don't go around calling people "blacky, pinky, bluey" now do i?? but what to do is just ingnore you know when a dog barks don't feed em and you've got fishamn to help you out ok :)

cheer up :)

Fishman
07-20-2006, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by werdader
please tell us.

i will start us off:
at school we and fishman have this "friend" called <X> (can't put name cos i will feel guilty) well he started being racist to me - well hang on, hes not muslim, and LOOKS white. well i'm duel heritage (i'm half cast) and it rly angers me when hes racist, befor fishman and rehan(another muslim) would stick up for him, untill <X> called rehan. now we all hate him!

aniway thanx
salam
:sl:
Yup, that's how you spell salam, but the little 'smilie' on the left-hand side is better.

I'm pretty sure 'X' is white.

BTW, Team America=uber racist+Islamophobic.

I think we should give him a choice, appologise and stop being racist, or be got into trouble from all sides. Rehan has other ideas though. 'Pain or death', as he put it.
:w: (that's like saying goodbye)

wilberhum
07-20-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks for moving it.

Subtle and tactful as always
Wilber

Woodrow
07-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Racism is a sign of ignorance. It is the result of a person being incapable of thinking for himself and takes the easy path of following sterotyped discriptions.

Racism can not be beaten out of a person, that only feeds it and makes it grow and spread.

Racism can not exist in front of truth. Do not live like the sterotype and the racism slowly starves. I did say slowly, it is a slow process and takes much time. If you do your best to starve racism today, there probably will be no noticable changes in your lifetime. It will be your grandchildren who benefit.

Dahir
07-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I would propose the extreme measure, grab a bat...and...but those were my baseball days.

Now, back to reality; subtle intimidation could help, so could ignoring the guy, remember, the ignore button isn't only in forums, its a tool in life!

Woodrow
07-20-2006, 07:43 PM
so could ignoring the guy, remember, the ignore button isn't only in forums, its a tool in life!
A very handy and effective tool, we often forget to use it.

Somalina
07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
~salaam~

When one races i believe he's saying am weak n jealous
and i cannot stand to see u proper,if i dont race u my hatred is going to kill me;D

best cure ignoring their ignorance

never ever think,oh he's better than me,he's not,

chacha_jalebi
07-20-2006, 07:57 PM
elo ello

well well, firstly ignore him, thats the best thin, but theres also a limit, if you cant ignore him, remember we always have our fists :D and crowbars&baseball bats :D, and theres 3 of you lol, just trick him or summin, like say bla bla "look @ that thing behind that building" :p then when he goes behind the buildin .... :D:D:D:D:D

but matey dont put up with it, in islam we are taught patience, but also we are taught we can defend ourselfs, im sure in your religion you are taught that aswell, so remember dont put up with it, because it will carry on with it!!

:D best of luck :D

Dahir
07-21-2006, 12:19 AM
well well, firstly ignore him, thats the best thin, but theres also a limit, if you cant ignore him, remember we always have our fists :D and crowbars&baseball bats
That was my first suggestion, but with cases like Columbine, take necessary precautions!

Panatella
07-21-2006, 02:06 AM
iwell i'm duel heritage (i'm half cast) and it rly angers me when hes racist, befor fishman and rehan(another muslim) would stick up for him, untill <X> called rehan. now we all hate him!
Hate is a pretty serious thing. Are you sure you want to hate so easily?

north_malaysian
07-21-2006, 02:15 AM
When I was in school, there is a group of racist who love to called names for non-Brown Malays. Fair-skinned Malays are called as 'Chinese pigs' and the dark brown/black-skinned Malays are called as 'Hindus'. They're sick people.

When they call me Chinese pig, I just said "Shut up, you cow's dung coloured skin people!!!"

snakelegs
07-21-2006, 03:34 AM
the worst thing is when racism is internalized and people begin to believe the negative things racists say about them.

Dahir
07-21-2006, 04:11 AM
When I was in school, there is a group of racist who love to called names for non-Brown Malays. Fair-skinned Malays are called as 'Chinese pigs' and the dark brown/black-skinned Malays are called as 'Hindus'. They're sick people.

When they call me Chinese pig, I just said "Shut up, you cow's dung coloured skin people!!!"
Uh, um, oh, uh, ooh, uh, I don't think that's stellar advice. Where I live, racism is a long-gone taboo, it only exists in comedy and jokes, its nothing serious anymore, but here's a funny story.

My American Government teacher is Vietnamese, and he lived in an all-White town in Iowa in his younger days.

Kids would come up to him and call him, "N!gger."

He would reply, "If you're going to hate me, at least call me the right epiphat!

:D

Dahir
07-21-2006, 04:15 AM
the worst thing is when racism is internalized and people begin to believe the negative things racists say about them.
Its not exactly the people who say it, but a societal thing:

Ever since Victorian times, society has become a Skin color caste system. Really sad, and the worst part of it is we have this belief that only Blonde, broad-shouldered people are supreme, or human.

Every time we watch television and see Hispanics, Asians, or Africans, we're reduced to look and point, "oh, there goes the little Brown people."

Its a sad, hysterical society we live in, and it seems the United States and Canada are the only nations in the world to tackle, and for the most part, obliterate that sense of thought.

Now its the rest of the world that has to be re-wired!

Asyur an-Nagi
07-21-2006, 04:24 AM
racism is when u started to think that ur kind has all the best thing in life. it is everywhere. ma' advice,just don't take it seriously. the more they act as a fool racist, the more they prove that they are just an airheaded goner. if it comes to our head, then racism win. don't let the color of your or their skin become a sin.

Panatella
07-21-2006, 04:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
They're sick people.

Hmmm... I don't think this is any better. You answered racism with racism. How about the other "brown" people that would never think to call you a chinese pig, is it fair that you also compare their complexion to cow's dung?

Dahir
07-21-2006, 04:45 AM
Hmmm... I don't think this is any better. You answered racism with racism. How about the other "brown" people that would never think to call you a chinese pig, is it fair that you also compare their complexion to cow's dung?
Don't be hard on him, Malaysians have yet to tackle racism, even Europe hasn't gotten around to it, well, England is probably the only European country that's brought it to the table, as their culture has a large Black/Indian admixture, and they've accepted it, unlike France or Germany.

aamirsaab
07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
Chavs are often racist. It's usually the best way of telling if a person is a chav. Well, that and their burbury hat +o( .Just wait for the "paki" comment in mid sentence followed by several F bombs.....and then run.

amirah_87
07-21-2006, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Racism is a sign of ignorance. It is the result of a person being incapable of thinking for himself and takes the easy path of following sterotyped discriptions.

Racism can not be beaten out of a person, that only feeds it and makes it grow and spread.

Racism can not exist in front of truth. Do not live like the sterotype and the racism slowly starves. I did say slowly, it is a slow process and takes much time. If you do your best to starve racism today, there probably will be no noticable changes in your lifetime. It will be your grandchildren who benefit.
Ass salaamu alayakum

MashaAlah akhee!!...i could'nt have said it any better.....:thumbs_up

north_malaysian
07-24-2006, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Panatella
I just refer to his skin color, not other brown people.

Dahir
07-24-2006, 04:14 AM
I just refer to his skin color, not other brown people.
:rollseyes :confused:

north_malaysian
07-24-2006, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dahir
:rollseyes :confused:
other brown people are as sweet as chocolate. :)

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 06:33 AM
I think in the US there is getting to be too much of racial preferences. In the US, many companies and schools look for people with ethnicity first, rather than the people that are the most qualified for the school/job. In high school many people, such as myself were unable to get many scholarships because were are caucasian and middle class. I believe that people shouldn't cater to people that are ethnic, but rather get the best person for the job. Also, it will be a good insight into what ethnicities prefer which schools and jobs. It is good to be around people of different ethnicities, but I think it has gone too far where people that are more qualified do not get the position because of their race. For example, my mom works at a community college and had to hire a new employee. Due to the fact that the majority of applicants were white, they could not hold interviews until more ethnic people applied. Also, companies, such as where my mom works, encourage management to hire ethnic people to improve their image. I think it is time that the race biases in the workplace and school end and the best person for the position get its...no matter what the race, gender, religion.

north_malaysian
07-24-2006, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
I think in the US there is getting to be too much of racial preferences. In the US, many companies and schools look for people with ethnicity first, rather than the people that are the most qualified for the school/job. In high school many people, such as myself were unable to get many scholarships because were are caucasian and middle class. I believe that people shouldn't cater to people that are ethnic, but rather get the best person for the job. Also, it will be a good insight into what ethnicities prefer which schools and jobs. It is good to be around people of different ethnicities, but I think it has gone too far where people that are more qualified do not get the position because of their race. For example, my mom works at a community college and had to hire a new employee. Due to the fact that the majority of applicants were white, they could not hold interviews until more ethnic people applied. Also, companies, such as where my mom works, encourage management to hire ethnic people to improve their image. I think it is time that the race biases in the workplace and school end and the best person for the position get its...no matter what the race, gender, religion.
Same here....:cry:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
well baiscally i do understand cause am a revert my self as i am a halfcast cause my mam is a christain and me dad whom is an asian and i look like a christain and i hate it when people call me "whity" i take that offencive acause i don't go around calling people "blacky, pinky, bluey" now do i?? but what to do is just ingnore you know when a dog barks don't feed em and you've got fishamn to help you out ok :)

cheer up :)

umm sis, hw cn u look like a christian? :rollseyes

limitless
07-24-2006, 06:44 PM

I haven't been a victim of racist, or any discrimination, yet. But I have witnessed racism towards blacks/brown where I live by white girls and certain white boys. It is usually whites that discriminate rather than to be racist to non white individuals. I heard from my bro, that in Lebnanon or Jordan that the white muslims there were racist towards non-white muslims and non-muslims.

:w:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Ive never dealt with racism and honestly doesn't affect me becuz I know who and what I am and my purpose here. Someone will see me differently and call me things doesnt mean someone else wont think the same about them! So its useless to get mad...all u need is patience. People being racist to me isnt gunna change who i am.

wilberhum
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Werdader
I would like to extend to you and all others my apology for my crass remark. I have no explanation for what I did, I only have regret.

Sorry,
Wilber

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
i forgot one more thing
it only makes me stronger not weaker. Jus like the hate against muslims or if its with other faiths...it should only make u stronger. Thats what i think.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Its ok...apology accepted.. i hope :)

wilberhum
07-24-2006, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Its ok...apology accepted.. i hope :)
I hope so. I feal like 2 cents waiting for change. :hiding:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
lool...its good to apologize..! who wouldnt accept an apology..? hopefully every1 would :)

REPSTER
07-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Here bro read this poem maybe it will make u feel better:brother:

Excuse me
standing on one leg
I'm half-caste
Explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean when picasso
mix red an green
is a half-caste canvas/
explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean when light an shadow
mix in de sky
is a half-caste weather/
well in dat case
england weather
nearly always half-caste
in fact some o dem cloud
half-caste till dem overcast
so spiteful dem dont want de sun pass
ah rass/
explain yuself
wha yu mean
when yu say half-caste
yu mean tchaikovsky
sit down at dah piano
an mix a black key
wid a white key
is a half-caste symphony/
Explain yuself
wha yu mean
Ah listening to yu wid de keen
half of mih ear
Ah lookin at yu wid de keen
half of mih eye
and when I'm introduced to yu
I'm sure you'll
understand
why I offer yu half-a-hand
an when I sleep at night
I close half-a-eye
consequently when I dream
I dream half-a-dream
an when moon begin to glow
I half-caste human being cast half-a-shadow
but yu must come back tomorrow
wid de whole of yu eye
an de whole of yu ear
an de whole of yu mind
an I will tell yu
de other half
of my story

Maybe u can even show it to ur racist friend ,if hes good he will understand
just pray 4 him if hes muslim, but if he is gora(white boy) smack him silly:p

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
lol i dont think smackin is gunna solve nethin...:D

REPSTER
07-24-2006, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
lol i dont think smackin is gunna solve nethin...:D

:lol: sis i ment smack him silly so he cant say half cast anymore:p
:haha:messin pray to god he will do wat is best:thumbs_up

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2006, 09:06 PM
pfffffttt...weirdos in hea honestly..:P
Inshallah he will lol...:D

REPSTER
07-24-2006, 09:12 PM

Hey didn't any of u like the poem:cry:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-24-2006, 09:23 PM
LOL aww..no it was cool ..pfffftt

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
Do you think people should be overcompensating in the workplace or schools for ethnicity/gender/age?

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

I haven't been a victim of racist, or any discrimination, yet. But I have witnessed racism towards blacks/brown where I live by white girls and certain white boys. It is usually whites that discriminate rather than to be racist to non white individuals. I heard from my bro, that in Lebnanon or Jordan that the white muslims there were racist towards non-white muslims and non-muslims.

Sometime it has nothing to do with colour. Malaysian Malays discriminate Indonesian Malays even they share the same skin color, same religion and same language.

Dahir
07-25-2006, 03:29 AM
Sometime it has nothing to do with colour. Malaysian Malays discriminate Indonesian Malays even they share the same skin color, same religion and same language.
That's some hardcore discrimination! Anyhow, I am racist. I like the human race more than any other. <--please note the terrible sense of humor.

mujahedeen2087
07-25-2006, 03:33 AM
you have to be a jew to get an israeli citizenship. shows jsut what kind of people they are!

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 03:59 AM
That's some hardcore discrimination! Anyhow, I am racist. I like the human race more than any other. <--please note the terrible sense of humor.
you must be an ultra anti-martian!!! :uuh: :uuh: :uuh:

Dahir
07-25-2006, 04:10 AM
you must be an ultra anti-martian!!!
No, I'm anti-Animal, you know, I don't like Chickens or Cows, that's why I support the mass murder of Chickens and Cows, and I also occassionally burn and eat their flesh, and its always for my own personal gain and growth!

:Evil: :playing:

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 04:13 AM
No, I'm anti-Animal, you know, I don't like Chickens or Cows, that's why I support the mass murder of Chickens and Cows, and I also occassionally burn and eat their flesh, and its always for my own personal gain and growth!

:Evil: :playing:
That brigitte bardot must be hating you so much!!!!

Dahir
07-25-2006, 04:25 AM
That brigitte bardot must be hating you so much!!!!
No, its just my sinister taste for animal meat. :D

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 04:30 AM
No, its just my sinister taste for animal meat. :D
HYE tried to be a vegetarian.....at least for a day?:rollseyes

Dahir
07-25-2006, 04:31 AM
HYE tried to be a vegetarian.....at least for a day?
No! Don't ever say such a thing! Chicken is my appetizer, Beef is my main Course, every day of my life! :D

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 04:38 AM
No! Don't ever say such a thing! Chicken is my appetizer, Beef is my main Course, every day of my life! :D
...and lamb is your dessert? I wonder what is your snack? seafood? :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

Dahir
07-25-2006, 04:41 AM
...and lamb is your dessert? I wonder what is your snack? seafood?
Lamb? If its in the form of a Gyro sandwhich, HECK YES! Seafood? If its Shrimp, HECK YES!

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 04:46 AM
Lamb? If its in the form of a Gyro sandwhich, HECK YES! Seafood? If its Shrimp, HECK YES!
Dessert - Lamb Kebab flavoured ice cream? Hey, they have pork flavoured ice cream somewhere in Latin America (I've seen in Globe Trekker)

Dahir
07-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Dessert - Lamb Kebab flavoured ice cream? Hey, they have pork flavoured ice cream somewhere in Latin America (I've seen in Globe Trekker)
:vomit: :vomit: :scared:

You watch too many exotic travel shows, just stick to News!

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 04:54 AM
:vomit: :vomit: :scared:

You watch too many exotic travel shows, just stick to News!
I love Discovery 'Travel and Living' channel. Lots of news channel can make me sick!!!

syilla
07-25-2006, 04:57 AM
in m'sia is difficult to be racism...

everyone look the same...

are u chinese?
are u malay?
are u indian?

is different nowadays...

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 05:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
in m'sia is difficult to be racism...

everyone look the same...

are u chinese?
are u malay?
are u indian?

is different nowadays...
I've been mistaken for a Chinese ... like zillions of times. I just have to reply "Wa Boh Chai" ("I dont know" in Hokkien).

Dahir
07-25-2006, 06:10 AM
I've been mistaken for a Chinese ... like zillions of times.
Easy for you to say there in Malaysia, you can only be mistake for only 3 or 4 different ethnicities, here's a list of what I've been mistaken for:

Porto Rican (most often)
Mexican
Native American :?
Half Black/Half White
Mongolian :?
Afghani
Iraqi
Nigerian :?

Well, that's just a short list, I know I've been mistaken for at least twenty, maybe thirty other ethnicities, I just don't remember them all quite clearly.

None of it ever bothered me, I just played along to the tune of others' mistakes.

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 06:53 AM
[B]Easy for you to say there in Malaysia, you can only be mistake for only 3 or 4 different ethnicities, here's a list of what I've been mistaken for:

Porto Rican (most often)
Mexican
Half Black/Half White
Afghani
Iraqi
You must be middle eastern look.

In Malaysia:

1) You're light brown skin, big eyes (like latino), beautiful eyebrows, less face hair, medium size, well built - people call you Malay.

2) Your're yellow, or Asian white skin, slitty eyes, straight eyebrows, no face hair, slim - people call you Chinese.

3) You're dark brown, big eyes, hairy eyebrows, lots of face hair, big size - people call u indian

4) You're white (caucasian), slitty eyes, less face hair, straight eyebrows, available in all sizes, tall - people call u Pan Asian.

Fishman
07-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Once someone asked me if I was Albanian!

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 07:04 AM
You must be middle eastern look.

In Malaysia:

1) You're light brown skin, big eyes (like latino), beautiful eyebrows, less face hair, medium size, well built - people call you Malay.

2) Your're yellow, or Asian white skin, slitty eyes, straight eyebrows, no face hair, slim - people call you Chinese.

3) You're dark brown, big eyes, hairy eyebrows, lots of face hair, big size - people call u indian

4) You're white (caucasian), slitty eyes, less face hair, straight eyebrows, available in all sizes, tall - people call u Pan Asian.
Surprisingly only 1/3 of the 'Malays' fit No 1 category.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
07-25-2006, 06:11 PM
I get people asking me if im Spanish or Turkish lolz
People dont think im Pakistani till i tell em >.<

Dahir
07-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Surprisingly only 1/3 of the 'Malays' fit No 1 category.
You'd better pray that's a good thing, because when the plastic surgery buzz kicks in and everyone starts TRYING to look "Malay," you'll be in for something!

Once someone asked me if I was Albanian!
Someone asked me if I was Bosnian. :D

north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 03:37 AM
You'd better pray that's a good thing, because when the plastic surgery buzz kicks in and everyone starts TRYING to look "Malay," you'll be in for something!
Nah, i think that 'Malay look' Malays will be smaller and smaller, as there are lots of inter-racial marriages and many people convert to Islam. In Malaysia, all Malaysian Muslims considered as 'Malays'.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-30-2007, 07:06 PM

One of the best comments on this topic ive read.
I find that people are often quick to judge and label ALL people who belong to a certain group/ ethnic/ country or religious background by the actions of a FEW.
May Allah forgive us and show us the right path.

i also found this and thought id share....

Question
What does Islam have to say about racism?

Answer
Peace be with you.

The dictionary defines racism as “discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race” or “the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races”.
We can see that most of the destruction and war in history had a great deal to do with racism. For instance, the Nazi racism, which brought about World War II.

Now how does Islam view racism? The Holy Qur’an cuts the very roots of racism in these words: 'O mankind! We have created you from a single male and female and made you into nations and tribes so that you may know each other. The most honorable of you in the sight of Allah are surely the righteous." (Al-Hujurat: 13)

And again:
"O mankind! Be careful of your duty to your Lord Who created you from a single soul and from it created its mate and from them twain hath spread abroad a multitude of men and women.” (An-Nisa’: 1)

Thus Islam stresses the absolute unity in variety of the human race. The Prophet (peace be upon him) declared: "O people! You are all from Adam and Adam was made of dust. No Arab is to be preferred over a non-Arab except by virtue of his piety." He also said: "Allah does not look at your shapes or your colors but He looks at your hearts (intentions) and your deeds. Creatures are the dependants of Allah and the closest among them to Allah are indeed the most useful to His dependants."

Thus we can see that Islam is the very antidote to racism; and where Islam flourishes there cannot be any place for racism.

And God knows best.

source : http://www.islamonline.net/livedialo...GuestID=pxG9a6

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
also to add about the experience
please tell us.
i dont know if this would come under racism... but ive experienced hatred from a very early age... and that was from a teacher... i moved from the netherlands to england aged 7 and when starting school things were great i was learning very fast and adapting well.. until i went into my aged 8 class. The teacher was always shouting at me till the point tears were streaming down my face ... EVERY day and his excusse was that my handwritting was messy. As i moved into the next age class i felt so relieved to be away from his evil nasty behaviour and the teacher i had then was actually imprsssed and said noithign was wrong with my handwriting... and then seen the exact same thing happen to my brother a year later.. again the excusse 'his hand writting was too messy' despite the fact my brother had dyslexia and learning difficulties....but the reality was... we were 'in-comer', born in another country... didnt matter our mother was english.. and in the area we had moved into there was a lot of comments made simply due to the fact we were born abroad.. thing was tho.. i had 200 years of ancestor history to this area but it didnt make any difference. the experience really had an impact on me and ive learnt never to be judgmental on anyone even those who make racist/prejudiced comments and thats inshaAllah they will be guided to the right path.

aminahjaan
12-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Ignore this guy, and the next time he makes a racial slur just tell him how stupid he looks making fun of race. Because obviously this guy is not a good friend, and chances are nobody else will like him for being so narrow-minded.

Mysterious Uk
12-31-2007, 01:12 PM
I had a little 4-5 year old come up 2 me and call me 'blacky'. I was so shocked i laughed. The mother didn't even say anything! But he was only a little kid so i wouldn't really call him racist.

Jayda
12-31-2007, 06:49 PM
please tell us.

i will start us off:

aniway thanx
salam
hola werdader,

i am very sorry that is difficult... but you should not hate him. perhaps there is a reason for his sudden change in beliefs... or perhaps there is a reason he held them to begin with. we tend to think that God puts people in our lives for a reason... but we often forget that God puts us into other peoples lives for a reason, be an example and a friend to him :)

i've experienced racism many times... 'latino' is not a race, it's a ridiculous ethnic categorization based on the presumption that: white, black and native american, portuguese and spanish speaking catholics (primarily), pentacostals, muslims and jews all have the exact same culture because they are from, or related to a person from anywhere in the americas south of the united states.

...think about that for a minute... because it blows my mind.

under that designation i am a latina... specifically a white, catholic, spanish speaking latina with distant connections to mexico and much stronger connections to spain. for the very simple reason that i have a slight spanish accent (which most people think is charming) and i speak spanish with my father i am considered a whole range of nasty things by some people in the area of the south where i live. given, most people think i am italian before i open my mouth, but whatever!

i've had very scary runins before... i've been attacked and almost raped by neonazis, i've been called names a lot, and a klansman both professed his love for me and derided me as an 'illegal (offensive word about women)' in the exact same sentance.

that's just the way it goes... you can't let people get you down about yourself.

que Dios te bendiga

Ali.
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
This thread is over a year old :S

thirdwatch512
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
I am French, so I am white, green eyes, dark hair, skinny.. typical american looking!

But gosh, people think the weirdest things about us.. "french women do not shave their legs" and all these terrible false things! Ah, but people have always been intimidated by us... I guess because we are honest, and have never been good at assimilating our culture for others!

Racism, homophobia, you name it.. Hate exists. And it is the worse thing. However, all we can do is live life and hope for it to stop. We should try not to worry about hate, and just try to move on. It is hard, no doubt. But we can all get through it!

Jayda
12-31-2007, 08:10 PM
hola kyle,

i'm half french, my mother is from toulouse... actually i just saw all my cousins over christmas...

anyway! i really don't think the negative stereotypes about french people are the same as the kind of racism people experience for traditional reasons (like being black)... it seems more like a competitive joke between americans.

que Dios te bendiga

thirdwatch512
01-01-2008, 07:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
hola kyle,

i'm half french, my mother is from toulouse... actually i just saw all my cousins over christmas...

anyway! i really don't think the negative stereotypes about french people are the same as the kind of racism people experience for traditional reasons (like being black)... it seems more like a competitive joke between americans.

que Dios te bendiga
Oh, I certainly agree no doubt. The point I was trying to make though, is that there are many bigots and stereotypes in our society coming from all spectrum's, at all groups of people.

As you know, I am gay.. And I certainly get discriminated against much more because of my sexuality then I do from being French!

north_malaysian
01-01-2008, 08:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HelloImAli
This thread is over a year old :S
yeah right..... :D and it still survives!!!!!

snakelegs
01-01-2008, 09:39 AM
so does racism.:unhappy:

Ali.
01-01-2008, 11:47 AM
yeah right..... :D and it still survives!!!!!
Yep! Only after somebody was searching through 1year+ old threads..:-\

Oh well! :D

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
so does racism.:unhappy:
Unfortunately, yes :(

Might aswell share my racial experiences then...
Well to be honest I do get quite a lot of racism. I've had it to my face, I've overheard it around me, I've seen heaps of it on the internet.

Advice for anyone getting racism: Just ignore it. You might hear this all the time and may think it's rubbish advice, but seriously; ignore it. Think nothing of it, that way it cannot bother you.

Racism has got to stop sooner or later!

Woodrow
01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
When I was younger I had the idea that racism could be ended if all humans were rounded up and permanently dyed lime green.

as I got older I realized that would only focus racism on some other factor besides pigmentation.

Us humans are very cruel to each other and sadly usually don't realize it. Perhaps there does need to be more awareness that some actions and words are very painful.

Perhaps if each of us truly does desire not to needlessly harm another we could stop and learn about others and see what words and actions cause harm. We can not stop others from being racist, but we can takes steps to prevent our selves from being so.

north_malaysian
01-01-2008, 03:11 PM
When I was younger I had the idea that racism could be ended if all humans were rounded up and permanently dyed lime green
who would round up all of us and permanently dyed us lime green? The little green men a.k.a aliens?:uuh:

Jayda
01-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Easy for you to say there in Malaysia, you can only be mistake for only 3 or 4 different ethnicities, here's a list of what I've been mistaken for:

Porto Rican (most often)
Mexican
Half Black/Half White
Afghani
Iraqi

Well, that's just a short list, I know I've been mistaken for at least twenty, maybe thirty other ethnicities, I just don't remember them all quite clearly.

None of it ever bothered me, I just played along to the tune of others' mistakes.
hola

that is strange you should say mexican and puerto rican... most people confuse me for italian but sometimes i am confused for an arab. i was pulled aside at an airport once because they wanted to search me, the officer described me as an 'arab teenaged female' on his little communicator shoulder thing...

it was really bad, my husband assaulted two guards and they had to restrain him, when the dust settled and i showed them my drivers license and they learned who my husband was (and more importantly what he does for a living) they let me go and dropped their charges against him... however it was very frightening from my perspective...

que Dios te bendiga

Uthman
01-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Jayda,

Did they search you on the basis that you looked like an 'arab teenage female'?

+o(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.