/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Agression on Lebanon, Gaza, unites Christians and Muslims

sonz
07-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Hundreds of people, Muslims and Christians, gathered yesterday in Boston City Hall Plaza, in a massive protest against Israel’s brutal offensive against the Lebanese population and aggression against Palestinians in Gaza Strip.

“Free All Palestinian and Lebanese Political Prisoners,” read some of the signs.

“End the Israeli Occupation,” and “Stop Aid and Weapons.”

The three-hour rally, sponsored by the Muslim American Society, included a prayer service.

“Free, Free Palestine,” “Free, Free Lebanon.”

Fawzi Kronfol, 22, native Lebanese, has been trying to call his parents in Lebanon, but failed because of the continuous Israeli bombardment.

“I can't go to sleep unless I know they are OK,” Kronfol said. “Every day I hear about civilian deaths, and some day I'm afraid it will be someone I know.”

“The sheer power Israel is using to respond to Hezbollah for taking two hostages, in my view, is not justified," said Amine Sabbagh, 42, of Newton, who emigrated from Lebanon 25 years ago.

“I characterize this as war crimes.”

Mohamed and Imman Hamie, owner of a gas station in Taunton who Left Lebanon 27 years ago, both held a banner depicting injured children and corpses in Lebanon.

“It's unjustifiable,” said Mohamed Hamie.

“Nobody should have to be murdered.”

``Lebanon is being completely destroyed," said Camil Saade, a real estate agent from Salem, N.H., who also emigrated from Lebanon 27 years ago.

“The economy is going down the drain. Innocent people are being killed, and that's a shame. As a Christian, I can't wish death on anyone.”

• Egypt protests

In Egypt, daily demonstrations had been organised by Muslims and Christians to protest against the Israeli aggression in Lebanon and Gaza.

Christians protested on behalf of Lebanese victims, yet shied away from expressing support for the Lebanese resistance movement Hezbollah.

However Christians participating in demonstrations stressed the importance of giving the impression that their communities support Hezbollah’s fight against Israel.

Some Christians said that it was their duty to support their fellow Arabs.

"We are not concerned so much with religion in these circumstances as the West would have people believe," said Bishop Moussa, a Cairo-based Coptic priest.

"What we have here is Israeli violence on an entire country over a few soldiers."

• Support for Hezbollah

"There are thousands of Christians in Lebanon who probably don't support Hezbollah, at least they didn't before Israel started to bomb Beirut," he continued.

"Now Israel has given them all the reason to support Hezbollah as the only force in Lebanon capable of keeping Israel at bay."

"We are here to show that we care about what is happening in Lebanon," said Magda at a demonstration in Cairo.

Moussa and Magda agreed that Arabs, Muslims and Christians, have been united once more by a common enemy; Israel.

"It seems Israel is able to bring us together more effectively than we can do by ourselves," Magda said.

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Silver
07-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Well,Lebanon has suffered a 15 year civil war between muslims and christians.And also normally only shias do support Hezbollah inside Lebanon but right now both muslims and christians but their differnces aside and we're all united to face these attacks and defend Lebanon.Some displaced shia families from the south were received by christian families or found shelter in schools in christian areas.It's really great.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.