PDA

View Full Version : Candle For Peace



akulion
07-24-2006, 02:28 AM

Salam Alaikum
Peace Be Upon You


With the ongoing conflict in many parts of the world and death and destruction rampant we invite you to light a candle for peace. Click on an unlit candle to light it. Click on the image below to be taken to the 'Light a candle for Peace' Page.



Please leave your comments in the guestbook present on the page to show your support :)

Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Daffodil
07-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I dnt see how lighting a candle is gonna do anything.
Reply

sweetbanana86
07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
I dnt see how lighting a candle is gonna do anything.

well if you don't see it then don't light it, but nobody needs to hear your ignorance right about now, we need to pray , pray all day and everyday for peace,
Reply

sweetbanana86
07-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I lit two candles
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Ghazi
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
:sl:

Bro akulion you have the right niya but this is imatating the kufar, when in times of joy and need we make dua not lighting candels inshallah they're in my duas.
Reply

Daffodil
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
well if you don't see it then don't light it, but nobody needs to hear your ignorance right about now, we need to pray , pray all day and everyday for peace,
just because i dnt see how lighting a candle is gonna do anything doesnt mean im ignorant, i pray for peace i dnt light a candles for peace because whats that gonna do, "ooooh by lighting a candle im showing i want peace" its imitating the kuffar n is a waste of time n candels n matches.

I lit two candles
wow u lit two candles, u must really holy!
Reply

Fishman
07-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by islam-truth
:sl:

Bro akulion you have the right niya but this is imatating the kufar, when in times of joy and need we make dua not lighting candels inshallah they're in my duas.
:sl:
I was just thinking that. I'm pretty sure lighting candles for religious purposes like this is not part of Islam. Make dua, it's Islamic and it actually works!
:w:
Reply

akulion
07-27-2006, 07:10 AM
oh come on guys stop fighting..its a thread about peace :P not about fighting lol

lighting a candle was selected primarily because lighting candles is not haram

additionally it would appeal to all people not just muslims

so since peace is achieved through unity for a purpose not through division, thus lighting a candle for peace
Reply

Fishman
07-27-2006, 09:31 AM
:sl:
Try reading this page about candles.
:w:
Reply

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Akulion - love that forum!!! :giggling: :giggling:
Reply

adi8putra
07-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
I dnt see how lighting a candle is gonna do anything.
That's b'coz u dont see the essence of it. The web site clearly says: Path To Peace, promoting peace through understanding. It's the ordinary people like u and me who r going 2 make the difference. If only all people in the world can truly grasps the meaning of it, then we might not have to fight each other for anything's trivial....:rollseyes
Reply

Daffodil
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
It's the ordinary people like u and me who r going 2 make the difference.
i hate to break this to u mate but no amount of candels n peace protests n demonstrations are gonna effect the leaders decisions.
Reply

Ghazi
07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
i hate to break this to u mate but no amount of candels n peace protests n demonstrations are gonna effect the leaders decisions.
I agree, only revolutions work.
Reply

Kittygyal
07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
humm i heard lighting cadles are not allowed in Islam and also on birthdays and why from all the things you choose candles??
Reply

strider
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Assalamu alaikum

Originally Posted by Daffodil
i hate to break this to u mate but no amount of candels n peace protests n demonstrations are gonna effect the leaders decisions.
It might not change their decisions outright, but it will be known that they have people who oppose what they stand for. That's something.

That's a pretty neat site, akulion.:thankyou:

Ma'assalama
Reply

sweetbanana86
07-27-2006, 04:22 PM
I agree and i also feel it's an postive outlet to let others know they are not only ones hurting and who are in pain bcuz some us may say we care but we really don't becuz we are not over there, Aku and other members are actually over there having to deal with this all of there lives and i am was just trying to show others that i support your cause,


as for the fighting i don't fight, that's shaytann and I pray that Allah guides on a path to peace


peace
Reply

*Hana*
08-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Salam Alaikum:

For goodness sakes. This is simply a show of support and unity. No one is asking anyone to pray over a candle. Everytime a candle is lit, the number of supporters go up. It has nothing to do with religion, it has everything to do with unity and support with ALL people.

I don't pray over the candle, I don't pray when I light the candle, I don't sing happy birthday or any other song. I make dua as per my religious teachings when I pray and never light a candle in that endeavor.

Sheesh, seems you can't even do something promote peace without someone making an issue of it. Islam isn't against peace or unity. Path to Peace, promotes tolerance and understanding through peace and all are welcome there.

Some say it imitates the kaffur, well lighting a candle was necessary before electricity and still is when the power goes out. Rest assure I will light a candle when that happens regardless of the fact my Christian neighbours do! It happens to be a candle big deal!! I suppose it could have been "poke the bear in the eye" to show your support but how peaceful is that. :rollseyes

Anyway, show your support or don't...the choice is yours. But not everything is imitating non muslims. And if that's the case, you might wanna check what you're wearing under your clothes, 'cause I'm thinking non muslims wear those too.

Hard to believe promoting peace can cause fighting. :heated:

Wasalam,
Hana
Reply

Najiullah
08-09-2006, 04:36 AM
I dont see how lighting a candle is gonna unite people :)
Reply

Daffodil
08-09-2006, 11:33 AM
it wnt, itll just waste candels n match sticks. i say save the trees.
Reply

SirZubair
08-09-2006, 12:01 PM
since you put it that way..Daffodil, my apoligies for the comment i made (Which has been deleted by some Mod).

Please, learn to respect the opinions of others, you have an extremist point of view on every matter that ever arises, don't shove your opinions down everyones throats.

If you are about to go jump off a bridge, dont expect everyone else to do the same.

Live and let live.
Reply

Vaseline
08-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by SirZubair
since you put it that way..Daffodil, my apoligies for the comment i made (Which has been deleted by some Mod).

Please, learn to respect the opinions of others, you have an extremist point of view on every matter that ever arises, don't shove your opinions down everyones throats.

If you are about to go jump off a bridge, dont expect everyone else to do the same.

Live and let live.
See? Now that's a much better way of putting it rather than making personal attacks :)
Reply

SirZubair
08-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Vaseline
See? Now that's a much better way of putting it rather than making personal attacks :)
Just for the record, that took alot of effort,.. you owe me big time :p
Reply

The Ruler
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
Salam....i lit 1....n its nyc....:thumbs_up....Wasslam
Reply

Vaseline
08-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by SirZubair
Just for the record, that took alot of effort,.. you owe me big time :p
Just as much effort you made in making that comment, that's how much effort it took you in making those statements. So, I don't owe you anything =).

Anyways, let's get back on topic =).
Reply

Dawud_uk
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by SirZubair
since you put it that way..Daffodil, my apoligies for the comment i made (Which has been deleted by some Mod).

Please, learn to respect the opinions of others, you have an extremist point of view on every matter that ever arises, don't shove your opinions down everyones throats.

If you are about to go jump off a bridge, dont expect everyone else to do the same.

Live and let live.

Assalaamu Alaykum Sir Zubair,

Sister Daffodil is my wife, I cannot think of more than a handful of matters in Islam where we disagree so by calling her extremist I would imagine you would think the same about myself.

I also know she is not out to ram her opinion down other’s throats, but where people speak against the Sunnah and in favour of innovation then we all have a duty to speak out.

Where a matter is shown to be in accordance with the Sunnah then we should support it and I know myself and sister Daffodil are agreed on this, if you show either herself or myself where we have come to an opinion in contrary to the Quran and Sunnah and if we agreed we would change our opinion in a flash and take the stronger evidence from the Quran and Sunnah you presented.

The problem is that those who use labels like ‘extremist’, ‘backwards’, ‘******’ etc do so because they have no argument or a weak argument so resort to name calling instead, they don’t have the stronger evidence so they resort to labels instead to slander the argument through slandering the person giving it.

I take it as an insult against the prophet Muhammad (saws) and Islam when people attack a position taken from the scholars who use the Quran and Sunnah to come to their position, instead referring to their whims and desires, and weak and fabricated evidences.

Such a person is in reality calling the prophet Muhammad (saws) and the righteous generations extremists as usually it can be shown they took the same position!

Assalaamu Alaykum,
Daw’ud
Reply

SirZubair
08-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
Assalaamu Alaykum Sir Zubair,

Sister Daffodil is my wife, I cannot think of more than a handful of matters in Islam where we disagree so by calling her extremist I would imagine you would think the same about myself.

I also know she is not out to ram her opinion down other’s throats, but where people speak against the Sunnah and in favour of innovation then we all have a duty to speak out.

Where a matter is shown to be in accordance with the Sunnah then we should support it and I know myself and sister Daffodil are agreed on this, if you show either herself or myself where we have come to an opinion in contrary to the Quran and Sunnah and if we agreed we would change our opinion in a flash and take the stronger evidence from the Quran and Sunnah you presented.

The problem is that those who use labels like ‘extremist’, ‘backwards’, ‘******’ etc do so because they have no argument or a weak argument so resort to name calling instead, they don’t have the stronger evidence so they resort to labels instead to slander the argument through slandering the person giving it.

I take it as an insult against the prophet Muhammad (saws) and Islam when people attack a position taken from the scholars who use the Quran and Sunnah to come to their position, instead referring to their whims and desires, and weak and fabricated evidences.

Such a person is in reality calling the prophet Muhammad (saws) and the righteous generations extremists as usually it can be shown they took the same position!

Assalaamu Alaykum,
Daw’ud
:sl:

Dawud, tell me, how is sparking a candle an innovation? what does that have to do with Islam? it is a simple gesture, and thats the end of that.

This is NOTHING to do with Islam, this is nothing to do with the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed.

Dawud, for once, for the love of God, Cut the crap.

As for your first comment, yes, i do think you are Just that.

Next you'll be linking Toilet paper to Islam and will be saying that "Using toilet paper is an innovation, it is not Sunnah to use toilet paper to remove the stains of Satan..."

Go on, make my day.

At the end of the day, she was doing just that, she was shoving her opinion down peoples throats. How many times did she return to this thread and post messages which are against the reason of this thread being created? Please don't tell me that is her idea of 'dawah'.

I'll call an idiot an idiot. By calling an idiot an intelligent person won't change him.

I'll call a glass of water A Glass Of Water, by calling it Milk, i won't be able to change it.

I will call someone with Extremist views an Extremist. By making excuses for that person, i won't be able to change anything.

It is one thing to Deny something that is staring you in the face. It is another thing to believe it too.

:w:
Reply

Dawud_uk
08-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by SirZubair
:sl: Dawud, tell me, how is sparking a candle an innovation? what does that have to do with Islam? it is a simple gesture, and thats the end of that.

This is NOTHING to do with Islam, this is nothing to do with the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed.

As for your first comment, yes, i do think you are Just that.

Next you'll be linking Toilet paper to Islam and will be saying that "Using toilet paper is an innovation, it is not Sunnah to use toilet paper to remove the stains of Satan..."

Go on, make my day.

At the end of the day, she was doing just that, she was shoving her opinion down peoples throats. How many times did she return to this thread and post messages which are against the reason of this thread being created? Please don't tell me that is her idea of 'dawah'.

I'll call an idiot an idiot. By calling an idiot an intelligent person won't change him.

I'll call a glass of water A Glass Of Water, by calling it Milk, i won't be able to change it.

I will call someone with Extremist views an Extremist. By making excuses for that person, i won't be able to change anything.

It is one thing to Deny something that is staring you in the face. It is another thing to believe it too.

:w:
assalaamu alaykum,

did the prophet Muhammad saws light a candle for peace or did he organise armies and fight the kuffar? did he not make du'a for their destruction?

our deen is complete, when it comes to deen related matters then yes this is an innovation, toilet paper is clearly not a deen related matter where as this is clearly acting against the sunnah.

you are also a rude person and this is also far from the sunnah, may Allah guide you and bring you back to the straight path and come away from the path of Ahlus bidah and teach you some manners in the process, ameen!

assalaamu alaykum,

ps...
anyone noticed the 'w' ward is now starred out when we use it lol?
Reply

Muezzin
08-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by najiullah
I dont see how lighting a candle is gonna unite people :)
You've obviously never experienced a blackout.
Reply

Isaac
08-09-2006, 12:35 PM
come on, people must learn to draw a line somewhere, and when people are trying with intention solely based for the pleasure of allah, give them a chance as long as this action does not contradict the teachings of quran and sunnah. And in terms of immitating the kuffar, if your intention is soley based on following the kuffar, then it is a sin no doubt, but if that thought does not come to mind then how are you so. If someone lights a candle with the intention of following the kuffar, again this will be a sinful act. And about name callibg, brothers theres name calling on both sides, one person calls another salfi extremits, the other calls an innovator, bida 'ti, ect ect. That doesnt make it right, but it does make you realise that people will go to low levels and emotions to take predecent when two can not agree.

Yes make dua, do what ever you can, without imitating the kuffar, to show you intention. But dont just leave it at a dua, duas with the inetnion to act and a dua with an actoion that follows is far more superior.

So keep your intention clean, for the sake of allah and without going against the teaching of muhammed pbuh and the rightous that followed.
Reply

SirZubair
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

did the prophet Muhammad saws light a candle for peace or did he organise armies and fight the kuffar? did he not make du'a for their destruction?

our deen is complete, when it comes to deen related matters then yes this is an innovation, toilet paper is clearly not a deen related matter where as this is clearly acting against the sunnah.

you are also a rude person and this is also far from the sunnah, may Allah guide you and bring you back to the straight path and come away from the path of Ahlus bidah and teach you some manners in the process, ameen!

assalaamu alaykum,

ps...
anyone noticed the 'w' ward is now starred out when we use it lol?
:sl:

I am rude as much as you are irrational. So as far as i am concerned, We are even Br.Dawud.

As for What Prophet Muhammed did, you and I do not have the Wisdom that he (s.a.w) had.

How about you Pray for peace first, and if that doesn't work, then you do whatever it is that you feel like doing?

By the way, what are you doing online? Since you are a 'salafi' and all that, shouln't you be out there recruiting an army to go do 'physical jihad' / Suicide mission on the 'Kaffirs' ?

And yes, Toilet paper is as much to do with Islam as this Candle issue is.

May Allah swt guide you back to Islam and away from Self Righteousness.

:w:

p.s Did Muhammed s.a.w pray for people to be GUIDED more often or for people to be DESTROYED ?

Happy Hunting Sunshine.
Reply

Dawud_uk
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by SirZubair


:sl:

I am rude as much as you are irrational. So as far as i am concerned, We are even Br.Dawud.

As for What Prophet Muhammed did, you and I do not have the Wisdom that he (s.a.w) had.

How about you Pray for peace first, and if that doesn't work, then you do whatever it is that you feel like doing?

By the way, what are you doing online? Since you are a 'salafi' and all that, shouln't you be out there recruiting an army to go do 'physical jihad' / Suicide mission on the 'Kaffirs' ?

And yes, Toilet paper is as much to do with Islam as this Candle issue is.

May Allah swt guide you back to Islam and away from Self Righteousness.

:w:

p.s Did Muhammed s.a.w pray for people to be GUIDED more often or for people to be DESTROYED ?

Happy Hunting Sunshine.
he did indeed pray for them to be guided, but he also prayed for their destruction. i acknowledge both facts, do you?
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
if any one assures me that lighting candles would bring peace then ......... im ready to light thousands of candles...:D

INSTEAD OF LIGHTING A CANDLE PRAY 2 RAKAS.......... I HOPE THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM.............

OK DOES ANYONE OF YOU KNOW WHO STARTED THE CONCEPT OF "LIGHTING CANDLES FOR PEACE"......:? :?

I GUESS IT WOULD BE THE IDEA OF A "CANDLE MANUFACTURING COMPANY":p :D
Reply

Muezzin
08-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Muzammil
OK DOES ANYONE OF YOU KNOW WHO STARTED THE CONCEPT OF "LIGHTING CANDLES FOR PEACE"......:? :?
Does it matter?

It's just a gesture. People are free to do it if they wish. No one is saying we should light a candle instead of praying.

A lot of these 'yes, but do you know who CAME UP with this concept?! PAGANS!' arguments are tiring. It's like saying, 'hey, nice car, man', and then some guy goes, 'yes, but do you know who INVENTED cars?! A NON-MUSLIM!'
Reply

SirZubair
08-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
he did indeed pray for them to be guided, but he also prayed for their destruction. i acknowledge both facts, do you?
How about you pray for peace and guidance first, and destruction later? You speak of The Sunnah of Prophet Muhammed s.a.w all the time, how about you do what he would have done, how about you pray that the Misguided are Guided?

Or will that take up too much of your precious time?

As for wether i acknowledge both facts, i can (so far) only acknowledge the one i have pointed out.

If you could please provide me with some Info of when Prophet Muhammed cursed his enemies and prayed for their destruction (and please, no Shaykh Bin Baz Articles..), i would appreciate it.

:w:
Reply

SirZubair
08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Does it matter?

It's just a gesture. People are free to do it if they wish. No one is saying we should light a candle instead of praying.

A lot of these 'yes, but do you know who CAME UP with this concept?! PAGANS!' arguments are tiring. It's like saying, 'hey, nice car, man', and then some guy goes, 'yes, but do you know who INVENTED cars?! A NON-MUSLIM!'
...Good point.

How many people here drive Cars to the Mosque for prayers?

Aud'billah !

Come on brothers ! Buy yourselves a Camel ! Cars are bid'ah! especially if you are going to drive it to a mosque! WHAT? Your local mosque even has a CAR-park? Subhan'allah! Go slaughter the board-members! They're hypocrites... :uuh: :exhausted
Reply

Isaac
08-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Brother zubair, your point about being a salafi and organising an army to fight the kuffar i did not understand. I am not what today peopel call salafi and give names to. But the issue of jihad is something which is automaticaaly seen as a salfi motion. Brother muhammed pbuh organsied armies to fight the kuffar, so there is nothing salfi or wht people in fact mean extreme about that. Brother jiahd if done in accordance to the sharia is just as beautiful as praying 2 rakat nawafil, but much more rewarding. People forget the true blessings of conducting jihad and its benefits, yet assoicicate it in a negative way. I am not an extremist or a salfi, because when people mean salafi today, they are ignorant and use the term to mean extremist, which may be has reaosns within the moevenennt. I am not extreme, but i am not against jihad, as jihad is just as part of islam as is fasting.
Reply

aamirsaab
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
:w:
Why are people dropping the B-Bomb? Of all the things bidah, you guys pick an e-candle.
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
08-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Peace and Religion
By Maulana Wahiduddin Khan




`Don't wish for confrontation with your enemy, instead always ask
for peace from God.'

That is, even when they have enemies, Muslims are not allowed to
take the course of confrontation. They must rather seek the way of
avoidance. The Qur'an further states that if you deal with your
enemy positively and return good for evil, he will become your
closest friend (41:34). These references from the Qur'an and Sunnah
make it clear that peace is the greatest concern of Islam. The
Islamic method is a peaceful method. Islamic activism is a peaceful
activism. There is no doubt about it that Islam is a religion of
peace in the complete sense of the word.

Why does Islam lay such great stress on peace? The reason is
obvious: all the good things which Islam wants to see in human life
can be brought about only in a peaceful environment. For instance,
constructive activities such as spiritual uplift, character
building, educational activity, social welfare, worship and prayer—
all of these can be performed only in peaceful conditions. In fact,
no peace, no progress; no peace, no development.

Peace is thus the central point of Islamic living; in this world as
well as in the life hereafter. According to Islam, a peaceful life
is the ideal life in both worlds. Some people portray Islam as a
religion of violence by using the word Jihad. They say that Jihad in
Islam is a holy war. In fact, there is no concept of holy war in
Islam. Jihad has nothing to do with war or violence. Jihad actually
means struggle, that is, peaceful struggle. This is clear from this
verse of the Qur'an: `And make Jihad on them, with the help of the
Qur'an' (25:52). There is no verse in the Qur'an which says: And
make jihad on them with the help of the sword. This shows clearly
that Jihad is an act to be performed by the power of ideology rather
than the power of the sword. In fact, Islamic activism is a peaceful
activism. Thus Jihad is only another name for peaceful activism on
Islamic lines.


Let's take another example. There is a verse which
reads: `Reconciliation is the best.' We learn from this verse that,
according to the Qur'an, the best policy is one of reconciliation
(4:128). When there is a conflict between two individuals or two
groups, Muslims ought to follow the course of reconciliation. In
controversial matters, the policy of Islam is one of adjustment and
not of confrontation.According to the Qur'an, God has promised the
highest reward for those who practice patience. Why has the Qur'an
laid such great stress on patience, known as Sabr in Arabic? The
reason is that sabr, or patience, is the only bedrock for the
establishment of peace.As we all know, social life is full of
unpleasant situations. Everything depends on responses. In such
circumstances a negative response will result in breakdown, whereas
a positive response will lead toward peace. Hence patience is the
price that has to be paid for the achievement of peace.



Maulana Wahiduddin Khan
President,
The Islamic Centre1, Nizamuddin West Market, New Delhi-110 013
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin

A lot of these 'yes, but do you know who CAME UP with this concept?! PAGANS!' arguments are tiring. It's like saying, 'hey, nice car, man', and then some guy goes, 'yes, but do you know who INVENTED cars?! A NON-MUSLIM!'
Hello brother ,

I THINK "LIGHTING A CANDLE" IS RELATED TO BELIEF....... "DRIVING A CAR" IS NOT RELATED TO SUCH A THING.......

I DIDINT MENTION THAT THE "CANDLE MANUFACTURING COMPANY"
IS A MUSLIM COMPANY OR ITS A NON MUSLIM.......

YOUR EXAMPLE IS ODD.... AND WHY ARE YOU PULLIN "NON - MUSLIM"
TOPIC HERE..
Reply

Muezzin
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Thing is, 'lighting a candle', in the context of this thread, has nothing to do with belief.

I know brother Akulion well enough that he would never suggest Muslims give up prayer in favour of lighting a virtual candle. The spirit in which he started this thread was simply to allow people the opportunity to make a peaceful gesture. Please understand this, everyone, before throwing around accusations of innovation.

Really, the fact that we're getting all hot and bothered over a candle is quite ridiculous. Let's stop being this way. :)
Reply

SirZubair
08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Really, the fact that we're getting all hot and bothered over a candle is quite ridiculous. Let's stop being this way. :)
Trust me, it is not the candle that i am getting hot and bothered over.

I am getting hot and bothered over self righteous people who try to use islam as a shield for their warped thoughts.
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
08-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
Thing is, 'lighting a candle', in the context of this thread, has nothing to do with belief.

I know brother Akulion well enough that he would never suggest Muslims give up prayer in favour of lighting a virtual candle. The spirit in which he started this thread was simply to allow people the opportunity to make a peaceful gesture. Please understand this, everyone, before throwing around accusations of innovation.

Really, the fact that we're getting all hot and bothered over a candle is quite ridiculous. Let's stop being this way. :)
SORRY BROTHER,
I THINK A MUSLIM SHOULDN BE
"LIGHTING A CANDLE FOR THE SO CALLED PEACE"
THATS MY VIEW......:p

;)
Reply

S_87
08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
:sl:

while i understand the gesture that people want to spread by lighting some cyber candle i want to say WE are the trend setters NOT the followers. lighting candles is not our way, is it the way of others and why should we follow them? lets do this OUR way.
Reply

Amazing Grace
08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
My observations of hierarchical religions:

-- Each faith perceives itself to speak the ultimate one truth and never yields to the common good on its own.
-- No one can speak for the leaders except the leaders. All other voices will be found lacking.
-- Concessions to the "general good" require enlightenment.
-- Enlightenment will not change anything until it changes the leaders.

Peace and Conflict Resolution.Org is attempting an alternative path to peace built on the same universal hope and prayer symbolized by your candle of truth.

AG
Reply

Najiullah
08-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by Muezzin
You've obviously never experienced a blackout.
offcourse not as there is no blackout
Reply

akulion
08-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Salam Alaikum

no wonder we are where we are

crazy really

I cant understand how people can be so strict towards lighting a candle for peace in a completely non religios context - with the argument that its imitating the kuffar

yet feel no objection what so ever at imitating the kuffar in all of the following (only a few listed):

- Using the internet
- Using a PC

Double standards are imposed very easily it seems where it suits the individuals - please be fair to others by being fair to yourself and question the double standards you set up. The world is not run by "do as I say and not as I do rules"

This simple idea caused this much ruckus, then really we have to question ourselves and ask "Are we the problem why peace cannot be achieved or is it something else?"

Anyways - I hope the mods close this thread and prevent any further arguments insha'Allah.
Reply

SirZubair
08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by akulion
I cant understand how people can be so strict towards lighting a candle for peace in a completely non religios context - with the argument that its imitating the kuffar

yet feel no objection what so ever at imitating the kuffar in all of the following (only a few listed):

- Using the internet
- Using a PC
Worrrrrd ;)

Also :

- Using toilet paper.

- Driving cars.

- Drinking Fizzy Drinks (Even the people who made mecca cola have copied the 'kuffr' ideas... ;) )

There you go people, something for you to work on.
Reply

Eric H
08-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Greetings in peace akulion;
This simple idea caused this much ruckus, then really we have to question ourselves and ask "Are we the problem why peace cannot be achieved or is it something else?"

Anyways - I hope the mods close this thread and prevent any further arguments insha'Allah
Peace is a tough challenge, we must persevere despite all provocation and negative reaction. Peace almost demands that we keep making concessions.

I urge you all not to give up on seeking peace.

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric
Reply

Far7an
08-16-2006, 07:39 PM
:sl:

I think these are the two matters which were raised:

1. Whether or not the act is an innovation.

Everything is Halal until proven Haram, but it's the opposite for ibadah. So you have to prove it's allowed. But no one is saying this is an act of worship, therefore that rules that out. So those of you who are saying it's an innovation, please bring forward your proof.

2. Whether or not the act is immitating the kuffar.

I recently read a piece regarding this issue, I'll look for the exact source inshaa'Allah (I think it was islaam.com). They basically discussed, what exactly is classed as 'immitating the kuffar'. If something is unique to a particular religion, and is practised by that religion, then it is not permissible to carry out that action. As we should defrentiate ourselves from them. Now the question is, is this action (of lighting candles for peace) specific to any religion? If so, please mention them.

If I have made an error please correct me inshaa'Allah, I'm a human, therefore able to make mistakes just like anyone else. I have put forward these views with sincerity, and I hope those who reply and also share their views will do so in a similar manner.

Jazaakallahu khayran.
Reply

Daffodil
08-16-2006, 08:14 PM
- Using toilet paper.

- Driving cars.

- Drinking Fizzy Drinks (Even the people who made mecca cola have copied the 'kuffr' ideas... )

There you go people, something for you to work on.
none of those these are anything to do with matters of worship
Reply

*Hana*
08-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
none of those these are anything to do with matters of worship
Funny thing you should say that. Neither does clicking on a cyber candle as a way of showing support for peace. Considering Islam is all about promoting peace and tolerance I find it rather amusing to see the amount of effort put into denouncing a peaceful gesture.

Kinda sad actually.

I agree with Aku. It's time we took a much closer look at ourselves and ask why achieving peace seems out of reach.

I also think it's better to close the thread as it is no longer serving a useful purpose.

Wasalam,
Hana
Reply

SirZubair
08-16-2006, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Daffodil
none of those these are anything to do with matters of worship
Neither is Lightening a Candle Sis Nafeesa :)

Please refer to Sidi Far7an's post.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 02:59 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!