/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Muslims boycott Glasgow airport

sonz
07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
The Muslim Council of Great Britain (MCGB) said that Muslim business travelers decided to boycott the Glasgow airport, BBC reported.

Bashir Mann, a top MCGB member, complained of heavy-handed and humiliating searches by police officers at the airport. He said that many Muslims will no longer fly from Scotland and will use Manchester instead.

"I'd never experienced anything like that before in Scotland,” Mr Mann said.

"This was a show of sheer discrimination, victimisation of certain sections of the community in Scotland,” he added.

Glasgow businessman Muhammad ashraf said it was "undignified" to be stopped and questioned.

"After being through all the checks that normal people go through, at the last moment you are stopped again and asked questions as everybody else passes you by," he said.

Ahmed Tassi, a Lebanese nurse working in Glasgow, said his wife was frequently targeted.

"She is a Canadian. She is more of an English speaker than me but she happens to be Muslim and covers her hair.

"90% of occasions when we pass through they say 'step aside' and she gets the full search.

"I am always waiting half an hour or an hour for her."

Strathclyde Police said it was looking at training police officers to raise their awareness of cultural and religious sensitivities.

“We have had a meeting with representatives from the Muslim community,” a police spokesperson said.

"Their concerns have been acknowledged and we have pledged to work with the community to address these issues… We are looking at further training of our officers, particularly at airports to raise awareness of cultural and religious sensitivities."

AlJazeera

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
root
07-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Muslim representation is Less than 2% in Scotland, I doubt (yet another Muslim boycott) will send shockwaves through the books.

Having passed through the airport on return journeys to Pakistan I never seen any such issues and thought they were very swift and timely at processing everyone. In Pakistan it takes ages......

chacha_jalebi
07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
yeh lol its dumb :p no one cares, there always has to be SOME muslims that have to do something extraordinary :p bless em, i bet they were pakis:p

but police check everyone, at heathrow they searched moi shoes lol & i asked him if he wannid 2 sniff em jus incase he detected some bomb powder:p but he said no :D, d police are kool and not kool, you just gota live with them

and no root in pakistan it dont take long :p pakistan has the best services anywer :p

Trumble
07-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Cause for concern, I think. The fact that this seems restricted to Glasgow and can be avoided by going to other airports strongly indicates it is racist staff that are the problem, and not security concerns.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MRR
07-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Always somebody is gonna whine about percieved problems with "racism' with airport security, etc.

Trumble
07-25-2006, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MRR
Always somebody is gonna whine about percieved problems with "racism' with airport security, etc.
So how do you explain that the problem only seems to be occuring at one airport?

Joe98
07-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Scottish Muslims. Do they wear a kilt? :embarrass

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.