/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Any Vegetarians/Vegans?

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I was just wondering if there were any other people on this forum, hopefully Muslim that are either vegetarian or vegan. In a different forum, I posted info. on vegetarianism, and I got a lot of flack from the Muslims. PLEASE DO NOT POST IF YOU ARE JUST GOING TO CRITICIZE VEGETARIANISM!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nawal89
07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
there were a few of them..i dont remember their names. i believe sis cheese used to be a vegeterian.

Woodrow
07-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm semi vegitarian. Not because of any beliefs about the pro and cons of eating meat, but because I honestly do not like the taste of most meat. I will eat Fish several times a week and Poultry on occasion. I do eat cheese and drink milk. Red meat is a rarity. I actually get sick on the taste unless it is highly seasoned. My phylosophy is a sufficient number of habenaro peppers can make the taste of anything palatable.

So I guess I am partial vegetarian.

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 06:14 PM
That's cool- any little bit helps. I am a full vegetarian-no red meat, poultry, fish, or anything of that nature. I also do not eat products with gelatin and absolutely no dairy because I am allergic to it. So I am pretty much vegan except that I will eat things that have eggs cooked in them, i.e. cookies, but no other animal products.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nawal89
07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
^What made you decide to be a vegetarian?

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
^What made you decide to be a vegetarian?
I decided to become a vegetarian at the age of 11. I had too many animal friends and felt bad that I was indirectly inflicting pain on them by eating them. I have always loved animals, and becoming vegetarian was another way for me to express that love.

SirZubair
07-24-2006, 06:57 PM
A nice slice of concise advise from the Amir from another forum..

format_quote Originally Posted by Sam,Aug 17 2005, 05:32 PM
If you're female, and pregnant (or planning on being pregnant in the future), you should think very carefully before cutting out all meats from your diet.

One of my friend's sister never ate meat just by choice, when it came to her pregnancy her iron level was extremely low and she was advised to introduce meat into her diet, the problem was when she started to eat meat her stomach couldn't handle it (to do with enzymes or something).

So EAT MEAT!! It doesn't mean you have to eat a whole cow or anything, but you should have some lean red meat every now and again.

wasalaam
sam
[snapback]197941[/snapback]

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 07:01 PM
There are many pregnant vegetarians that have no problem with their iron levels. Eating a healthy vegetarian diet and taking a vitamin everyday does not make any problems during pregnancy. People are generally more healthy when they eat a vegetarian diet than when they eat omnivorous diet.

SirZubair
07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
And this is what Brother Rami posted regarding meat...

format_quote Originally Posted by rami,Feb 6 2005, 02:56 PM
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

Sh. Hamza Yusuf on eating meat from the audio tape "The Science of
Shari'ah"

Meat is not a necessity in Shari'ah, and in the old days most Muslims
used to eat meat, if they were wealthy, like middle class—once a week
on Friday. If they were poor—on the Eids."
"So traditionally Muslims were semi-vegetarians. The Prophet was, I
mean, technically, the Prophet (SAWS) was in that category. He was
not a meat-eater. Most of his meals did not have meat in them. And
the proof of that is clearly in the Muwatta—when Sayyidina Umar
says, 'Beware of meat, because it has an addiction like the addiction
of wine.' And the other hadith in the Muwatta—there is a chapter
called 'Bab al-Laham,' the chapter of laham, the chapter of meat.
Both are from Sayyidina Umar. And Umar, during his khilafa,
prohibited people from eating meat two days in a row. He only allowed
them to eat [it] every other day. And the khalifa has that right to
do that. He did not let people eat meat every day … he saw one man
eating meat every day, and he said to him, 'Every time you get hungry
you go out and buy meat? Right? In other words, every time your nafs
wants meat, you go out and buy it?' He said, 'Yeah, Amir al-Mumineen,
ana qaram,' which in Arabic, 'qaram' means 'I love meat'—he's a
carnivore, he loves meat. And Sayyidina Umar said, 'It would be
better for you to roll up your tummy a little bit so that other
people can eat.'"
"Now Umar, if there was a prophet after the Prophet, it would have
been Umar. And that is really verging on prophecy, that statement.
Because if you study the modern meat industry, you will find out that
a lot of the famine in the world is a direct result of the
overconsumption of meat in countries like the United States and
Canada and Europe, because the amount of grain needed to produce 1
pound of meat, right, is much greater than the amount you need to
produce grain itself. And beef in particular—I really recommend
Rifkin's book Beyond Beef. It's an extraordinary book. And it's
interesting 'Baqara' is also a chapter of the Qur'an ('kill the
cow'), because beef-eating societies just have massive impact on the
environment, on natural resources, on all these things. And
traditionally the Muslims were not cow-eaters, they were sheep and
lamb [-eaters] when they did eat meat."
[snapback]144709[/snapback]

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
A nice slice of concise advise from the Amir from another forum..
Also, did you not read the original post?!?! It clearly stated NOT to post if you are here to CRITICIZE!

Nawal89
07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mlsh27
There are many pregnant vegetarians that have no problem with their iron levels. Eating a healthy vegetarian diet and taking a vitamin everyday does not make any problems during pregnancy. People are generally more healthy when they eat a vegetarian diet than when they eat omnivorous diet.

there isnt actually any proof to that. :rollseyes

SirZubair
07-24-2006, 07:04 PM
:sl:

By the way, don't get me wrong sis :) i am trying to cut back on my meat-intake at the moment. Instead of eating meat 7 days a week,i've cut back to 3. lol.

insha'allah i am Getting There. :)

:w:

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
And this is what Brother Rami posted regarding meat...
I can sit here and argue back and forth with you all day. Trust me, I have done many research papers on the subject and have a lot of evidence for my side. However, this is not the purpose of the thread. Please no longer post in this thread if you are just going to criticize.

SirZubair
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
Also, did you not read the original post?!?! It clearly stated NOT to post if you are here to CRITICIZE!
Where did i criticize? That was an advise. Maybe you should read my second post before you judge my intentions :? :)

SirZubair
07-24-2006, 07:07 PM
I can sit here and argue back and forth with you all day. Trust me, I have done many research papers on the subject and have a lot of evidence for my side. However, this is not the purpose of the thread. Please no longer post in this thread if you are just going to criticize.
For the love of god,..ALlah swt,help me.

Actually,..HELP HER, i posted an article which was semi-supporting her, and she still thinks i am 'critisizing' her :?

Subhan'allah.

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nawal89
[/B]

there isnt actually any proof to that. :rollseyes
Actually, I do have proof. You should have asked for proof instead of being so cynical. Here is a research paper I wrote for an english class:

Benefits of Vegetarianism

Today, the majority of Americans obsess over their weight and dieting. With over sixty percent of American adults fighting obesity, it is easy to see why dieting products are so popular. Yet, what diet actually works? Which diet has the most benefits? Do any of the diets also benefit other areas in the world such as the environment? First, looking at the Atkins diet, one can see that yes, the diet does work for some, but has many side effects of increasing your risk of heart disease and other cardiovascular problems. The side effects are due to the large consumption of meat and small consumption of grains, vegetables, and fruits. Also, the Atkins diet correlates to the increase in meat consumption, which increases air and water pollution. Vegetarianism is a diet completely opposite of the Atkins diet. A vegetarian diet includes large amounts of grains, fruits, and vegetables, and absolutely no meat, and in some cases, absolutely no animal products. Benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle are a nutritious diet, an increased health, and a cleaner ecosystem.
First, vegetarianism comes with a healthy diet. Although many vegetarians do have access to unhealthy foods such as cookies, chips, and pizza, the benefits of a vegetarian lifestyle are based on those who do eat the recommended foods. For example, Body Bulletin reports, “vegetarians eat an average of 25% less saturated fat” (Veggie 1). This statistic is based on the fact that meat, not included in a vegetarian diet, provides for a large portion of saturated fat. Also vegetarians enjoy the benefits of phytochemicals1 from brightly colored fruits and vegetables, as well as the added vitamins of A, C, and E (Dworkin 3). The added nutrients and subtraction of fat all benefit the vegetarian not only for quick results, but also in the long run of their overall health.
Although a vegetarian diet adds many vitamins and gets rid of fat, people often question how they get important nutrients usually found in meat, such as iron, B12, and protein. With a wide range of soy products and vegetables, it is easy for a vegetarian to get enough of all three. For protein, vegetarians have faux meat products made of soy like veggie hot dogs, hamburgers, bacon, sausage, etc. Recently, companies such as Boca and Morningstar Farms have made almost every meat product available in a faux version. Vitamin B12 is now available in supplement form as well as in fortified foods such as cereal. Finally, spinach, peas, whole grain breads, dried fruits, and dried beans all provide large sources of iron (Rewards 5). Despite many misconceptions on deficiencies, it is easy to see that vegetarians have a wide range of food providing the essential nutrients without having to eat meat.
The nutritious lifestyle of a vegetarian leads to an improved overall health. A study from Loma Linda University and the China Health Project reported, “Vegetarians live about seven years longer, and vegans2 . . . about 15 years longer than meat eaters” (Dworkin 1). Harvard Health Letter describes that a vegetarian diet lowers heart disease because the diet lowers cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and blood fat levels (Vegetarianism 6). Stated in Vegetarian Times:
The National Cancer Institute says that women who eat meat every day are nearly four times more likely to get breast cancer than those who don’t. By contrast, women who consume at least one serving of vegetables a day reduce their risk of breast cancer by 20 percent to 30 percent (Dworkin 2)
Also, Harvard says studies suggest that vegetarians will lose less bone mass because meat is more acidic than vegetables. The higher amount of acid pulls calcium from the bone; thus making bones more brittle and weak (Vegetarianism 6). Gary Null Ph. D, who did a comprehensive eleven-year study of 11,000 American vegetarians, found people with diabetes’ blood sugar levels normalized, decreasing insulin necessities (EXCLUSIVE 1). The same study showed that people lost weight and kept it off, many of who had already tried various means of losing weight (EXCLUSIVE 1). To conclude, the vegetarian lifestyle truly adds years and reduces the risk of several diseases.
On top of a healthy array of food and remarkable benefits for the body, vegetarianism also does wonders for the environment. Vegetarian Times provides an ample amount of ecological benefits in its Vegetarian Beginner’s Guide and article, “ 22 Reasons to Go Vegetarian Right Now.” The group states that, “64 percent of American agricultural land is used to grow livestock” (Vegetarian 7). Also, in the article they supply that the grain it takes to feed animals used for the meat industry could feed the entire world, ending world hunger (Dworkin 4). For the fish population, “39 percent of the oceans’ fish species are overharvested, and . . . 11 of 15 of the world’s major fishing grounds have become depleted” (5). In terms of waste and air pollution, a pig farm in Utah produces more waste annually than the entire city of Los Angeles (3). Manure is also rated by the EPA3 as one of the top ten pollutants in the U.S. Plus add all the gases from manure, urine, and cow flatulence to the list of air pollutants. In addition, twenty-two millions animals are slaughtered every day to feed Americans (Dworkin 3). Besides the amazing health benefits, the environmental benefits alone should be enough to change a person’s mind about their eating habits.
A healthy diet, an improved well-being, and an enhanced environment are all benefits of vegetarianism. Despite, many people’s love of meat, the benefits of pitching the meat and picking up the veggies are enough to change even the most devout carnivore. Besides, already thirty million Americans have adopted the vegetarian lifestyle (Broadman 1). Even some of the most famous people have been vegetarians such as Albert Einstein, Leonardo DiVinci, Pamela Anderson, Socrates, Alec Baldwin, and the list continues. Hop on board the veggie train and create a better life and world today.

Nawal89
07-24-2006, 07:33 PM
^yes i've heard it all..meat is all full of chemicals..the sea is pollouted and the meat is acidic..all that. i've read it up sis. I'm very concerned when it comes to my health you know. :rollseyes:

meat isnt bad for you if its organic. With all the chemicals and crap they feed the animals today its good to cut down. But i dont believe in cutting it out completely. Theres nothing wrong with being a vegeterian, but just how i see it, the Prophet peace be upon him ate meat. He was the kindest of all mankind and he set the best example. Everything he did has soem benefit or reason behind it. I'll try to stick to that inshaAllah.

mlsh27
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
^ And I appreciate your opinion, but back to the original question of the thread: any vegetarians or vegans?

MusLiM 4 LiFe
07-24-2006, 07:40 PM
im kinda vege.. i have chicken sometimes.. :?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.