/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Animal testing - the muslim take?

Trumble
07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
This story caught my attention today;

Continued rise for animal tests

It seems that, despite everybody being told fewer experiments are being done on animals than in the past, that is not the case in reality.

I'm assuming nobody here is crazy enough to believe animals should be used to test cosmetics and such, but I'd like to know what the general muslim opinion is on this issue, and particularly if scholars have reached an "official" position based on interpretation of the Qu'ran and Hadith? I assume there are no direct references as I can't imagine this being an issue in the Prophet's time.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
07-25-2006, 03:44 AM
good question - hope someone will address it.
from what i've gathered, muslims are strongly against cruelty to animals - so this should be an issue.

Zulkiflim
07-25-2006, 04:41 AM
Salaam,

In Islam we believe that we are the care takers of this world not its master.

We are appointed to care for all the living creatures not abuse it.

mlsh27
07-25-2006, 04:44 AM
I thought I read something about it on islamqa.com, but can't seem to find it anymore. However, I am 110% completely against any form of animal testing that causes physical or mental harm to the animal.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
07-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Many thanks for the responses.

No advantages and no urgency of human needs would justify the kind of calculated violence which is being done these days to animals
certainly seems to make the position quite clear.

snakelegs
07-26-2006, 10:00 PM
thanks for the good info, alpha dude. this is pretty much the position i thought islam would take, but it's good to read it.

Uthman
05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Article about this subject here :)

Trumble
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Many thanks for that, Osman. Most informative.

جوري
05-07-2007, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
great post-- but I must admit... people want their medications to work for them, at the same time don't want humans themselves to be the subjects of such experimentation-- how else can researchers get to you--
Antivirals ,Antineoplastics, Anti-fungals ,anti-bacterial, antiprotozoal/anthelmintie drug-- plus the hose of others not mentioned here if not tested first on animals to determine lethal dose to effective dose to volume of distribution and excretion .. I mean honestly do you think people should be subjected to such clinical trials or animals? I am not talking about cosmetologist testing... I am speaking of hard core drugs that the population at large uses everyday...
I am glad my mom's cholesterol meds and blood pressure meds were tested first on animals and gone through extensive FDA approval...
That is not to say that I approve of murdering animals for no apparent reason.. or subjecting them to cruel experimentation without an intended outcome... but I think I'd rather sacrifice a lab rat even if the medication didn't prove to be useful--as opposed to some human life when testing for a drug....

:w:

Pygoscelis
05-07-2007, 08:14 PM
No advantages and no urgency of human needs would justify the kind of calculated violence which is being done these days to animals
Nice to finally see something in Islam I agree with. :D I agree with this 100%

Hemoo
05-07-2007, 11:18 PM
as i said before "All the islamic laws is mainly looking for gaining all benefits (advantages) and to rule out any damages (disadvantages)"

and about the status of dealing with animals in islam:

in the Book of Sahih Muslim:

Book 032, Hadith Number 6346.
------------------------------
Chapter : Forbiddance of tormenting the cat or the animals like that which do not harm.

This hadith has been reported on the authority of Ibn 'Umar through another chain of transmitters. And Ibn 'Umar reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: A woman was tormented (in hellfire) because of a cat which she had tied and thus allowed it neither to eat or drink nor set it free so that it might eat the insects of the earth.

and here is a part of a Fatwa from islamqa.com:

It is haraam to stun an animal by striking it or giving it an electric shock etc, because that causes suffering to the animal, and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade causing suffering and tormenting them, and he enjoined kindness and goodness in general terms, and with regard to slaughter in particular. Muslim narrated from Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not take anything in which there is a soul as a target.” And Muslim narrated that Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade tormenting any kind of animal to death. Muslim also narrated from Shaddaad ibn ‘Aws (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has decreed kindness (or proficiency) in all things. So when you kill, kill well, and when you slaughter, slaughter well. Let one of you sharpen his blade and spare suffering to the animal he slaughters.”

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.