PDA

View Full Version : Description of the Ablution

madeenahsh
07-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Description of the Ablution

AUTHOR: Shaikh ‘Abdullaah bin Saalih Al-‘Ubaylaan
SOURCE: His Book As-Salaat (pg. 13-18)
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

As for what is related to the ablution (wudoo), then the foundation with regard to it is Allaah’s saying: “O you who believe, when you intend to perform the prayer, wash your faces and your hands up to the elbows, and wipe (with wet hands) your heads and (wash) your feet up to the ankles.” [Surah Al-Maa’idah: 6]

And also the saying of the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam): “Allaah does not accept the prayer of any of you, when he is in a state of impurity, until he performs the ablution.” [Reported by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim from the narration of Abu Hurairah]

And there is also the hadeeth of the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam): “The key to the prayer is purification. Its tahreem[1] is the takbeer (saying Allaahu Akbar), and its tahleel[2] is the tasleem (saying as-Salaam ‘Alaikum).” [Reported by At-Tirmidhee from ‘Alee with a good chain]

Before beginning, one must make the intention for his ablution for the prayer or for whatever else ablution is legislated for. This is because ‘Umar (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) reported that Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “Verily, the actions are only based on their intentions. And indeed, every person will have what he intended.” [Reported by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Then he must say: “Bismillaah” (In the Name of Allaah). This is based on what An-Nasaa’ee reported with an authentic chain from Anas (radyallaahu ‘anhu) where he said: “Some of the Companions of the Prophet sought (water) to perform the ablution, so Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘Does any of you have water?’ So he placed his hand in the water, while saying: ‘Perform the ablution (saying) in the Name of Allaah.’”

Thereafter, one should begin the ablution by washing his hands one time. But if he washes them more than that, this is more preferable. However, the complete number of times prescribed to wash them is three times. This washing of the hands is mustahabb (recommended) and not obligatory, so long as it does not occur when waking up in the morning after having slept at night, for in this case, washing the hands would be obligatory. This is due to the hadeeth of Abu Hurairah, recorded in the two Saheehs, in which Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “When one of you wakes up from his sleep (at night), he should not dip his hand into a vessel, until he (first) washes them three times, for indeed none of you knows where his hand spent the night.”

Then he does the Madmadah, which is when one washes his mouth by rinsing water in it, and also the Istinshaaq, which is inhaling water into the nose. Then he does the Istinthaar, which is when one blows out the water from his nose that he had inhaled.

He should perform these three acts of Madmadah, Istinshaaq and Istinthaar with one handful of water, meaning the water that he takes for doing the Madmadah should be the same water used for the Istinshaaq. This is based on the hadeeth of ‘Abdullaah bin Zayd found in Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim, in which he describes the Prophet’s ablution saying: “The he would wash his mouth and nose (performing Madmadah and Istinthaar) three times, using the (same) handful he took water in.”

If one were to perform Istinshaaq one time only, that would be sufficient and his action would be valid, due to what has been authentically reported in Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas, who narrated that: “Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) performed ablution (washing each body part) once.”

Then he must wash his face. The boundaries of the face are: from where the hair of the head begins to the chin, lengthwise, and from the right ear to the left ear, widthwise. He should wash it with one washing by which he will cover all of his face.

But if he washes it more than that, this is preferable, however the complete amount is three times. It is also recommended for him to rub his (wet) fingers through his beard, if it is thick, to the point where the water will enter below his chin palate (i.e. touch the skin). This is based on what ‘Uthmaan (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) reported that: “The Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) would run his fingers through his beard.” [Reported by At-Tirmidhee and authenticated by Ibn Khuzaimah. Al-Bayhaqee has a similar narration from Anas with a good chain of narration]

Then he must wash his hands from the tips of his fingers to the end of his elbows. Some people think that washing the hands means starting from the wrists to the elbows, since they feel that they already washed their hands in the first part of the ablution. However, we say that washing the hands in the first part of the ablution is not obligatory. But as for washing them after washing the face, then this is obligatory – one’s ablution is not complete unless he washes his hands. There is nothing wrong with washing the upper arm (above the elbow), to ensure that one has washed his elbow thoroughly. This is since this has been authentically reported in Saheeh Muslim from the hadeeth of Abu Hurairah that he (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) performed ablution once and washed over his upper arms. Then he informed the people that Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) would perform ablution in the same manner.

He should begin by washing his right hand. Then he should wash his left hand, in the same manner he washed his right hand. Then he should wipe all of his head with water. The manner of how the head should be wiped is described in the hadeeth reported by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim from ‘Abdullaah bin Zayd (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) that: “When Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) wiped his head, he began from the front of his head, using both hands, until he reached his nape. Then he returned his hands (wiping his head) to the place from where he had begun.”

He should also wipe his ears along with his head, with the same water he uses to wipe over his head. This is due to the hadeeth of ‘Abdullaah bin ‘Amr, in which he said: “Then he (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) wiped over his head and then entered his two forefingers into his ears, while wiping the back of his ears with his thumbs.” [Reported by Abu Dawood and An-Nasaa’ee and its chain of narration is sound (hasan)]

Then he must wipe his feet up to (and including) the ankles. He must pass over the heels and run his fingers through his toes. This is based on what At-Tirmidhee, Abu Dawood and others reported with an authentic chain from Laqeet bin Sabarah (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) who said that: “Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: ‘Complete the ablution and rub (water) between the fingers/toes. And exert in inhaling water in the nose, unless you are fasting.’”

The description of the ablution, as mentioned before, has been indicated in the hadeeth reported by Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim from ‘Uthmaan bin ‘Affaan (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) that: “Once ‘Uthmaan called for water for ablution, so he washed his hands three times. Then he rinsed his mouth (madmadah), inhaled water in his nose (istinshaaq) and blew it out (istinthaar). Then he washed his face three times. Then he washed his right hand up to (and including) his elbow three times, then the left hand in the same manner. Then he wiped over his head. Then he washed his right foot up to (and including) the ankle three times, and then his left foot in the same manner. Then he said: ‘I saw Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) perform ablution in the same manner as I have performed it.’”

From the obligations of the ablution is that one maintain the order in which each part is washed. This is due to the apparent meaning of the above ayah and also because Allaah placed the act of wiping between several acts of washing. I am referring to the wiping of the head – Allaah placed it between the washing of the face and the hands and between the washing of the feet. According to the Arabs (i.e. the language), two similar acts are not cut off from each other unless it is for a beneficial purpose, which is, in this case, the order. What also provides evidence for this is that Allaah’s Messenger never abandoned performing the ablution in this order (mentioned in the ayah).

The proof for this is the hadeeth reported by Jaabir bin ‘Abdillaah, describing the Hajj of the Prophet, in which Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “Begin with what Allaah began.” This is how An-Nasaa’ee reported it – in the form of a command from the Prophet. It is also in Saheeh Muslim in the form of the Prophet informing about it.

Also, from the obligations of the ablution is what is known as Al-Mawaalah. This is based on the report of ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) who said: “The Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) once saw a man who had left a spot on his foot the size of a fingernail untouched by water, so he said to him: ‘Go back and complete your Wudoo.’” This hadeeth is also found in Sunan Abee Dawood from the path of some of the Companions that: “Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) once saw a man who had left a spot on his foot the size of a fingernail untouched by water, so he commanded him to redo the ablution and the prayer.”

Imaam Ahmad said that the chain of narration of this hadeeth was good. The meaning of Al-Mawaalah is: To not delay in washing a body part to the point where the part washed previously becomes dry (i.e. leaving no gaps in between each act of ablution).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Footnotes:

[1] Translator’s Note: Tahreem here means the point in prayer in which normal acts such as talking and eating become forbidden

[2] Translator’s Note: Tahleel here means the point in prayer in which normal acts such as talking and eating become permissible again.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Khayal
07-25-2006, 07:28 PM
:sl:

jazaakAllah Sister, :sister:

:w:

Curaezipirid
08-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Can any persons point to the correct teaching about the genital ablutions?
I am in need of this information because I was accused of raping my children by asking over the telephone that they remember to rinse their penis under cold water after urination. I had adopted this habit my self after reading about from within the teaching of George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff, and found that there was beneficience. The teaching that I read stated that the habit is good to prevent children from want to touch their genitals. I have been made aware that many persons in India practise a genital ablution and it is called sometimes shosemanduse; and also that it is wrong to enter into prayer if there is any urine about the clothing or skin. But it is that no person has yet answered my questioning as to the reference within Islamic Law. It is that my family are not Muslim, and my children's father and my own mother have conspired to make an argument to the Australian Family Law courts that I pose a threat to my children only in that I believe that it is good for children to develop early habits that prevent desire to masturbation. In 'the west' it is taught that masturbation is normal, and the children's father manifests adherence to such a lie. The Australian family court has taken his side, while he is only motivated by want to ruin my reputation to prevent me from marriage, and cares not for our children. We were young we we met, and I was uneducated in Islam, but I never-the-less accept that I chose wrongly to entering relations with him. Yet we ever had an arrangement that the children are mine alone in responsibility, and in that he is culpable for having been preventing me from adhereing to my responsiblities. I know that in Tradtionally Oriented Aboriginal culture, the custom of a genital ablution to prevent children wanting to touch their genitals is supported, but my Aboriginal identity has not helped me in the courts because many in the Australian legal profession regard any Aboriginal person as being a potential child rapist. Such legal regard has been one of the weapons that the invaders of Australia used against every Aboriginal person, and our children have been removed from maternal care now for too many generations in that context. Most often Aboriginal children have been removed into environments in which they are not safe. I am afraid. The court case is only at an interim level, but it is not being listed for trial. I am sure that such is because the court officials want to hide the fact that the case even exists. So far no lawyer will help me in this, and I have been denied every usual access to funding for legal representation that is usually available to persons without their own monetary means in Australia. Even the Aboriginal Legal service is so far denying me any help, but only based upon refuting my Aboriginality because of my having white skin. Yet very many Aboriginal persons have white skin. It is that there are also persons in the Aboriginal community whom have taken advantage of using my case to blame the wrong people for acts of child rape. They will all be dead soon enough, all persons whom could have helped me and have not, regardless of the colour of their skin, and if not Muslim they will want that they had been. One of my sons has already, like I, walked through the Valley of the Dead, and now already all three have been forced into the mental state of readiness to by their father, at only 14, 12 and 8. The Australian legal system has been attempting to use us to excuse actual acts of child rape. The Man whom is in the complete evidence to acts of what I am stating is that Man whom has told me he would marry me, but was then prevented, and now is misinformed about myself by means of the court case. His experience has been that of being tortured to cause a multiple personality disorder and drug addiction, then repeatedly raped, including by a High Court Justice, whom I believe to be Justice Briggs. Justice Briggs supposed to use the Man I refer to as a means to prevent his own acts of child rape being accounted for, only because the Man has a small penis. The truth of what was done is too disgusting to mention, but it is known that there is a brothel in Canberra at which boys are forced into prostitution, and the Man whom was to Husband me was, to the best of my knowledge, forced into prostitution in such conditions. We are all seperated from one another, and many of us have been prevented from retaining enough of our Indigenous culture to be certain of what has been happening within Family Law, and the continual removal of Aboriginal children from mothers. I am very fortunate to have encountered Islamic teaching that enabled me to re-find the true cultural traditions of Aboriginal Australia, and that no person, of all the many whom have tried to prevent me becoming a Muslim, has been able to, is instructive. I am sorry to burden any person with the knowledge about this court case, but am hopeful to be given the references I am needing. Then perhaps a Lawyer might take up the case. I have not yet found a Muslim lawyer who is available for it.

madeenahsh
08-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Asalaam alykum

I would recommand you to send your question to this adress inshAllaah biidhinillaah you will be provided with best of The best answers , best to ask ppl of knowledge about matters , issues and rulings in islam
Allaah knows best.
addy which u can send ur question.

info@understand-islam.net
Wasalaam alykum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Curaezipirid
08-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Thankyou

madeenahsh
08-09-2006, 04:26 PM
your most welcome . May Allaah make it easy for you and us all.

Do let me know how it went inshAllaah biidhnillah.

wasallam alykum

wafa islam
08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Asalaamu alaykum

Jaza kAllahu khayr sister madeenahsh !!

Sister Ridicurezipa

Your question :
Can any person point to the correct teaching about the genital ablutions?

See this Insha Allah
http://islamweb.net/movies/ablution.swf

wa alaykum salaam

Curaezipirid
08-10-2006, 06:29 AM
my apology, but I am sure I will not be looking at any movie about a genital ablution, since there seems no need whatsoever to make a moving picture of what can be adequately taught by a simple description, and is essentially a private matter in the picturing of.

I am lead to believe that there are forces in 'the west' whom have worked to undermine adherence to the simple act of regular cleansing in cold water of the genitals. They are motivated by desire to prove that the descendents of Isaac are better at adhereing to the Covenant with Abraham than are the descendents of Ishmael. But I would disagree. That I learned of the genital ablution only through Islamic teaching is evidence that in fact in general it is the descendents of Ishmael whom are better adhereing to the Covenant. Please do not become that which wants to prove me wrong. My evidence is in my own family and the general Australian regard for the Covenant, and the cause for need of.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.