/* */

PDA

View Full Version : post ur own info how islam grew in ur country?(historical backround)

Helena
07-24-2006, 10:27 PM
:sl:

thought i'll share this interesting information how islam grew in bangladesh(before it was known as india) esp in syhlet(backhome)....it will give u an insight how islam grew ..... can other members help me..how islam expanded in india inshalah... mayb theres a diff history how islam incresed in pakistan and india...am not sure...

the purpose of this thread is....can everybody give a overview of islam in their own country and how it came about (historical backround about ur country inshalah, where ur originally from)..e.g in spain, turkey, africa, indonesia and so on.....inshalah

Shah Jalal (R) a major sufi saint of Bengal. His full name was Shaikh Makhdum Jalal ad-Deen bin Mohammed, later affectionately renamed Shaikh-ul-Mashaikh Hazrat Shah Jalal al-Mujarrad. Shah Jalal (R) commands great respect of Muslims of the subcontinent. Shah Jalal's name is associated with the Muslim conquest of Sylhet, of which he is considered to be the main figure. He lies buried at Sylhet, Bangladesh
Early Life & Education

Shah Jalal's date and place of birth is unclear. Various traditions, folklore and hostorical documents suggest different ideas. A number of scholars claim that he was born in 1271 in Konya, Turkey, and later moved to Yemen, either as a child or adult, while others contest he was born in Yemen. He was the son of a Turkish Muslim cleric, who was a contemporary of the famous Persian poet and Sufi saint. He was educated and raised by his maternal uncle, Syed Ahmed Kabir, in Mecca. He excelled in his studies and became a Hafiz (one who has committed the Qur'an to memory) and was proficient in Islamic theology. He achieved Kamaliyat after 30 years of study and meditation.
Travel to India

According to legend, his uncle, Sheikh Kabir, one day his uncle gave him a handful of earth and asked him to travel to Hindustan with the instruction that whichever place in Hindustan matches this earth completely in smell and color, he should settle down there for preaching and establishing Islam.

Shah Jalal journeyed eastward and reached India in c. 1300, where he met with many great scholars and mystics. He arrived at Ajmer, where he met the great Sufi mystic and scholar, Pir Khawaja Gharibnawaz Muinuddin Hasan Chisty, who is credited with the spread of Islam in India. In Delhi, he met with Nizam Uddin Aulia, a prominent Sufi mystic and scholar.
Conquest of Sylhet

Tradition goes that a Hindu king named Gaur Govinda ruled the Sylhet area. Sheikh Burhanuddin, a Muslim who lived in the territory under his control once sacrificed a cow to celebrate the birth of his son. But a kite snatched a piece of flesh of the slaughtered cow and it fell from its beak on the house of a Brahmin. According to another tradition, the piece of flesh fell on the temple of the king himself, which he took as a great offence. At the order of the king, Burhanuddin's hands were said to have been cut off and his son killed. Burhanuddin went to the Sultan of Gaur, Shamsuddin Firuz Shah, to whom he submitted a prayer for justice. The Sultan accordingly sent an army under the command of his nephew Sikandar Khan Ghazi, who was however, defeated twice by Gaur Govinda. The Sultan then ordered his Sipahsalar (armed forces chief) Nasiruddin to lead the war.

At this time, Shah Jalal (R) was requested by Nizam Uddin to travel to Sylhet to rescue Sheikh Burhan Uddin. With his 360 followers, some of whom were with him from Yemen and others from Delhi, including his nephew Hazrat Shah Paran, he reached Bengal and joined the Muslim army in the Sylhet campaign.

Knowing that Shah Jalal was advancing towards Sylhet, Raja Gaur Govinda, the king, removed all ferry boats from the river Surma, thereby cutting off any means of crossing into Sylhet. Legend has it that Shah Jalal crossed the river Surma by sitting on a Jainamaz (prayer rug). Upon reaching the opposite bank, he ordered the azan (call to prayer) to be sounded, at which the magnificent palace of Gaur Govinda shattered. With Shah Jalal's help, the king was deafeated by the Muslim armies after a fierce battle, and the King subsequently fled.
Later Life

According to legend, Shah Jalal found a match to the earth his uncle once gave him, and according to his uncle's wished, he settled down in Sylhet, near Choukidhiki. It is from here that he preached Islam and became a known Muslim figure in Bengal. He and his disciples travelled and settled as far as Mymensingh and Dhaka to spread the teachings of Islam, such as Shah Paran in Sylhet, Shah Malek Yemeni in Dhaka, Syed Ahmad Kolla Shahid in Comilla, Syed Nasiruddin in the region of Pargana Taraf, Haji Daria and Shaikh Ali Yemeni.

Shah Jalal's fame extended across the Muslim world. The Persian explorer, Ibn Battuta, came to Sylhet and met with Shah Jalal. The great Persian and Urdu Mughal poet, Hazrat Amir Khusrau gives an acccount of Shah Jalal's conquest of Sylhet in his book "Afdalul Hawaade". Even today in Hadramaut, Yemen, Sheikh Makhdum Jalaluddin's name is established in folklore.

The exact date of his death is unknown, but he is reported by Ibn Battuta to have died in 746 AH (1347 A.D). He left behind no descendents, as he remained a bachelor his entire life, hence the name "al-Mujarrad" ("the unmarried"). He is buried in Sylhet in his Dargah (tomb), which is located in a neighbourhood now known as Dargah Mohalla, named for his Dargah. His shrine is a siginificant place of interest in Sylhet, with many devotees visiting daily. At the Dargah is also located the largest mosque in Sylhet. (http://www.answers.com/topic/hazrat-shah-jalal)

get posting inshalah...dnt wana it to be dead like the khutbah thread..:offended:

hope nobody has created it before....

:w: :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
07-25-2006, 05:08 AM
Situated in the heart of Southeast Asia at one of the world's major crossroads, Malaysia has always been pivotal to trade routes from Europe, the Orient, India and China. Its warm tropical climate and abundant natural blessings made it a congenial destination for immigrants as early as 5,000 years ago when the ancestors of the Orang Asli, the indigenous peoples of Peninsular Malaysia, settle here, probably the pioneers of a general movement from China and Tibet. They were followed by the Malays, who brought with them skills in farming and the use of metals. Around the first century BC, strong trading links were established with China and India, and these had a major impact on the culture, language and social customs of the country. Evidence of a Hindu-Buddhist period in the history of Malaysia can today be found in the temple sites of the Bujang Valley and Merbok Estuary in Kedah in the north west of Peninsular Malaysia, near the Thai border. The spread of Islam, introduced by Arab and Indian traders, brought the Hindu-Buddhist era to an end by the 13th century. With the conversion of the Malay-Hindu rulers of the Melaka Sultanate (the Malay kingdom which ruled both side of the Straits of Malaka for over a hundred years),, Islam was established as the religion of the Malays, and had profound effect on Malay society. The arrival of Europeans in Malaysia brought a dramatic change to the country. In 1511, the Portuguese captured Malaka and the rulers of the Melaka Sultanate fled south to Johor where they tried to establish a new kingdom. They were resisted not only by the Europeans but by the Acehnese, Minangkabau and the Bugis, resulting in the sovereign units of the present-day states of Peninsular Malaysia. The Portuguese were in turn defeated in 1641 by the Dutch, who colonized Melaka until the advent of the British in the Dutch exerted any profound influence on Malay society. The British acquired Melaka from the Dutch in 1824 in exchange for Bencoolen in Sumatra. From their new bases in Malaka, Penang and Singapore, collectively known as the Straits settlements, the British, through their influence and power, began the process of political intergration of the Malay states of Peninsular Malaysia. After World War II and the Japanese occupation from 1941-45, the British created the Malayan Union 1946.This was abandoned in 1948 and the Federation of Malaya emerged in its place. The Federation gained its independence from Britain on 31 August 1957.In September 1963, Malaya, Sarawak, Sabah, and initially Singapore united to form Malaysia, a country whose potpourri of society and customs derives from its rich heritage from four of the world's major cultures - Chinese, Indian, Islamic and Western.

khushnood
07-25-2006, 05:39 AM
Taking About Dargahs Helena,is Visiting Dargahs And Shrines Allowed In Islam?

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 05:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
Situated in the heart of Southeast Asia at one of the world's major crossroads, Malaysia has always been pivotal to trade routes from Europe, the Orient, India and China. Its warm tropical climate and abundant natural blessings made it a congenial destination for immigrants as early as 5,000 years ago when the ancestors of the Orang Asli, the indigenous peoples of Peninsular Malaysia, settle here, probably the pioneers of a general movement from China and Tibet. They were followed by the Malays, who brought with them skills in farming and the use of metals. Around the first century BC, strong trading links were established with China and India, and these had a major impact on the culture, language and social customs of the country. Evidence of a Hindu-Buddhist period in the history of Malaysia can today be found in the temple sites of the Bujang Valley and Merbok Estuary in Kedah in the north west of Peninsular Malaysia, near the Thai border. The spread of Islam, introduced by Arab and Indian traders, brought the Hindu-Buddhist era to an end by the 13th century. With the conversion of the Malay-Hindu rulers of the Melaka Sultanate (the Malay kingdom which ruled both side of the Straits of Malaka for over a hundred years),, Islam was established as the religion of the Malays, and had profound effect on Malay society. The arrival of Europeans in Malaysia brought a dramatic change to the country. In 1511, the Portuguese captured Malaka and the rulers of the Melaka Sultanate fled south to Johor where they tried to establish a new kingdom. They were resisted not only by the Europeans but by the Acehnese, Minangkabau and the Bugis, resulting in the sovereign units of the present-day states of Peninsular Malaysia. The Portuguese were in turn defeated in 1641 by the Dutch, who colonized Melaka until the advent of the British in the Dutch exerted any profound influence on Malay society. The British acquired Melaka from the Dutch in 1824 in exchange for Bencoolen in Sumatra. From their new bases in Malaka, Penang and Singapore, collectively known as the Straits settlements, the British, through their influence and power, began the process of political intergration of the Malay states of Peninsular Malaysia. After World War II and the Japanese occupation from 1941-45, the British created the Malayan Union 1946.This was abandoned in 1948 and the Federation of Malaya emerged in its place. The Federation gained its independence from Britain on 31 August 1957.In September 1963, Malaya, Sarawak, Sabah, and initially Singapore united to form Malaysia, a country whose potpourri of society and customs derives from its rich heritage from four of the world's major cultures - Chinese, Indian, Islamic and Western.
The last time I've learnt these facts... when I was sitting for SPM.

Bonus question:

Who propagate Islam to the Malays first:

A) Chinese
B) Indians
C) Arabs

:rollseyes ;D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
07-25-2006, 06:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
The last time I've learnt these facts... when I was sitting for SPM.

Bonus question:

Who propagate Islam to the Malays first:

A) Chinese
B) Indians
C) Arabs

:rollseyes ;D
ermm...errm....

chinese trader?

do i get the bonus mark?

mlsh27
07-25-2006, 06:32 AM
It came to the US by Muslim immigrants.

north_malaysian
07-25-2006, 06:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
ermm...errm....

chinese trader?

do i get the bonus mark?
I think so... the first islamic artifacts (the kuala berang's batu) dated 13th cent. Terengganu is situated on the South China sea....so it's possible that Islam came from China first.

I give you 100 points.

Helena
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khushnood
Taking About Dargahs Helena,is Visiting Dargahs And Shrines Allowed In Islam?
am not sure..never performed it byself...it will be good idea to open a new thread on this..to get clear uderstanding, as backhome ppl perform alot...

alhamdulilah very interesting islamic history around the country.....

jus shows how islam is spreaded worldwide and not one particular countries..subanAllah....

erm anymore history...inshalah...

wana hear more.....:)

north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 03:45 AM
what is 'dargah'?

khushnood
07-26-2006, 04:31 AM
what is 'dargah'?
DARGAH IS A PLACE WHERE THE GRAVES OF FAMOUS MUSLIMS ,ESP SUFI SAINTS ARE ENSHRINED.

north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 05:56 AM
DARGAH IS A PLACE WHERE THE GRAVES OF FAMOUS MUSLIMS ,ESP SUFI SAINTS ARE ENSHRINED.
In Malaysia we call it 'Keramat', but since 99% of Muslims ceased to do this kind of visit since 1980s. The 'keramats' are just some old buildings which nobody cares.

khushnood
07-26-2006, 06:22 AM
In Malaysia we call it 'Keramat', but since 99% of Muslims ceased to do this kind of visit since 1980s. The 'keramats' are just some old buildings which nobody cares.
GOOD FOR U PEOPLE.U SHOULD SEE WHAT THE PEOPLE OVER HERE IN INDIA DO.THEY VISIT DARGAHS LIKE MAD & EVEN INDULGE IN GRAVE WORSHIP.ITS SICK WATCHING THE PEOPLE CRYING THEIR EYES OUT IN FRONT OF THE GRAVES.:heated: +o( BESIDES THAT,EVEN WOMEN VISIT GRAVE [WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED IN ISLAM].U CANT EVEN TELL OFF THESE PEOPLE.

north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 06:51 AM
GOOD FOR U PEOPLE.U SHOULD SEE WHAT THE PEOPLE OVER HERE IN INDIA DO.THEY VISIT DARGAHS LIKE MAD & EVEN INDULGE IN GRAVE WORSHIP.ITS SICK WATCHING THE PEOPLE CRYING THEIR EYES OUT IN FRONT OF THE GRAVES.:heated: +o( BESIDES THAT,EVEN WOMEN VISIT GRAVE [WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED IN ISLAM].U CANT EVEN TELL OFF THESE PEOPLE.
Malays (both male and female) visit relatives graves on Eid Al Fitr, reciting Yaasin, put flowers.. but not the Penangite Malays.. the only Malays which dont even care to visit graves on Eid. For us, when a person is buried, that the last time people attending his grave.

Curaezipirid
07-26-2006, 09:15 AM
The story about Shah Jalal is nice for me to learn in this time.
Can I provide that there is a film recently come out that teaches of a story about the story of Islam coming to Australia. That event is placed within the oral tradition of the story to define what period in time the structure of the movie is set. The film is set after, so is really actualising catching out shirk. It is called "Ten Canoes" and because it has full frontal nudity, I can not be certain that it will be available in all countries. All the men take a small bag around their neck as a Hijab, and the women a larger bag, but with less strict Hijab! But apart from the bags, there were no other clothes needed then at that place in Australia. It is a good film of truth.

north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 09:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ridicurezipa
The story about Shah Jalal is nice for me to learn in this time.
Can I provide that there is a film recently come out that teaches of a story about the story of Islam coming to Australia. That event is placed within the oral tradition of the story to define what period in time the structure of the movie is set. The film is set after, so is really actualising catching out shirk. It is called "Ten Canoes" and because it has full frontal nudity, I can not be certain that it will be available in all countries. All the men take a small bag around their neck as a Hijab, and the women a larger bag, but with less strict Hijab! But apart from the bags, there were no other clothes needed then at that place in Australia. It is a good film of truth.
:uuh: :uuh: :uuh: :uuh: :uuh: what kinda film is that?:rollseyes

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 01:57 AM
I'm sure immigration built up the number of muslims in the USA. I've heard on documentaries and read in books that current Islam growth is due to prison fellowship. I've never found a reliable unbiased breakdown of Muslim growth. If anyone can provide one, that would be great.

http://www.soundvision.com/info/year...01/profile.asp

This article states that 30% of incarcerated African American Males are converts to Islam.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 03:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
I'm sure immigration built up the number of muslims in the USA. I've heard on documentaries and read in books that current Islam growth is due to prison fellowship. I've never found a reliable unbiased breakdown of Muslim growth. If anyone can provide one, that would be great.

http://www.soundvision.com/info/year...01/profile.asp

This article states that 30% of incarcerated African American Males are converts to Islam.
Whoa... never heard of this... But do they follow Nation of Islam or Islam?:rollseyes

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 04:00 AM
Whoa... never heard of this... But do they follow Nation of Islam or Islam?:rollseyes
I believe most follow the Nation of Islam. I have noticed whenever I find sources discussing the number of muslims in the USA, the Nation of Islam and Islam are linked together.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 04:02 AM
I believe most follow the Nation of Islam. I have noticed whenever I find sources discussing the number of muslims in the USA, the Nation of Islam and Islam are linked together.
But Nation of Islam practices - very confusing..... maybe can someone explain to me about relationship of Nation of Islam and Islam. I've heard that NOI is a racist movement... is it true?:?

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 04:15 AM
But Nation of Islam practices - very confusing..... maybe can someone explain to me about relationship of Nation of Islam and Islam. I've heard that NOI is a racist movement... is it true?:?
http://www.fpri.org/ww/0404.200307.j...inamerica.html

Provides some interesting history.

http://www.uga.edu/islam/muslimpop_usa.html

Cites most muslims in the USA as being African American. It doesn't differentiate between Islam and Nation of Islam.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetect...amfeature.html

The future and history of Islam in the USA by our friends at PBS.

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_islam_usa.html

Lists different articles pertaining to the number of Muslims in the USA. Looks like there's no clear answer.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 05:33 AM
http://www.fpri.org/ww/0404.200307.j...inamerica.html

Provides some interesting history.

http://www.uga.edu/islam/muslimpop_usa.html

Cites most muslims in the USA as being African American. It doesn't differentiate between Islam and Nation of Islam.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetect...amfeature.html

The future and history of Islam in the USA by our friends at PBS.

http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_islam_usa.html

Lists different articles pertaining to the number of Muslims in the USA. Looks like there's no clear answer.
I mean 10,000,000 Muslims in america is not easy to believe, I know lots of converts/reverts there but not that 10,000,000 high!!:rollseyes

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 05:44 AM
I mean 10,000,000 Muslims in america is not easy to believe, I know lots of converts/reverts there but not that 10,000,000 high!!:rollseyes

Yep. I guess since the USA government doesn't ask for religious affiliation on census records, we will never know the true number. LOL

Until I find a credible source I will consider all muslim and christian conversion hooplah as religious fervor.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 05:59 AM
Yep. I guess since the USA government doesn't ask for religious affiliation on census records, we will never know the true number. LOL

Until I find a credible source I will consider all muslim and christian conversion hooplah as religious fervor.
In Malaysia, YOU MUST state your religious background for your Identity Card, Birth Cert, Marriage Cert and Passport. Most of forms, if not all (even for applying loans, club membership, practicing license, insurance) need u to state your religion.

You must carry Identity Card (IC) wherever you go in Malaysia, failed to do so - fine RM 2,000.00. In our Malaysian IC, we have our religious background stated.

In 1995, according to Govt census only 52% are Muslims, but in 2000 the percentage whopping up 60.4%. Why Muslim % increased drastically:

1) Mass conversion via Muslim missionary
2) Immigrants neutralization (from Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand)
3) Many wealthy non Muslim (esp. Chinese, Indians, Eurasians) migrated to Australia, UK.

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Why would you want to tell them off?:? I think it's best to turn the other cheek.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Why would you want to tell them off?:? I think it's best to turn the other cheek.
Maybe those dargah looks like a carnival site. Who knows, I never been to Dargah, but seen many in bollywood movies, where there is a ghazal singer singing and clapping, then people go to the grave with lots of flowers.

searchingsoul
07-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Maybe those dargah looks like a carnival site. Who knows, I never been to Dargah, but seen many in bollywood movies, where there is a ghazal singer singing and clapping, then people go to the grave with lots of flowers.
sounds interesting at least

Do Muslims decorate the graves of dead relatives? My Christian family decorates graves every memorial day. I've never known my own husband to do the same though.

north_malaysian
07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
sounds interesting at least

Do Muslims decorate the graves of dead relatives? My Christian family decorates graves every memorial day. I've never known my own husband to do the same though.
Penangite Malays dont visit graves on Eid like most of Malays. We will be buried with tombstone which has no inscription of our names, and some prefer to be buried in unmarked graves. Why? in 20 years time somebody might be buried in the same place - because the lands are limited on Penang Island. We rather sacrifice for others in the future.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.