PDA

View Full Version : Queen Bee.



Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 10:45 AM
:salaam:

I hope you are all well.inshAllah.

Everytine I step outside the conservatory door and into the garden. The first thing I ever hear is: bzzzzzzzz. Right next to the door are a bunch of maroon flowers with :Alhumdil l so much aroma to them. :ace:
I went outside (not too long ago) and the heat was unbearable. Once again, the first thing I heard was:bzzzzz.

In every flower sat a bee. Next minute, a very big bee approached - a queen bee? I decided to watch it sit comfortably in the flower. I watched the other bees wriggle about awkwardly. :)

What will happen next? I thought. I really want to see the queen bee do its daily chores. But, the queen bee sat in the flower for too long. And the heat outside was unbearbale:crickey:


So, brothers and sisters.

When does a bee become appointed a queen bee?
Why does there have to be a queen bee?
What is the job of a queen bee?

I thought it'd be nice to share information and learn something new.inshAllah.

:w:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
A7med
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_bee
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Brown Clown

:sl:
JazakAllah.
The pictures are very good.MashAllah.

:w:
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
07-25-2006, 10:52 AM
:sl:

When does a bee become appointed a queen bee?
Why does there have to be a queen bee?
What is the job of a queen bee?


The Queen bee is appointed, when it is a larvae, and is selected by the adult worker bees. She is fed on "royal jelly" and thus develops huge ovaries. This is because now she will be responsible for producing new offspring. She stays at the centre of the hives, and the worker bees tend to her.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Salam,

Royal jelly? Hmm..I wonder if it can be used for anything else.

Wasalam
Reply

seeker_of_ilm
07-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
Salam,

Royal jelly? Hmm..I wonder if it can be used for anything else.

Wasalam

:sl:

Uses
Royal jelly is reputed to have a number of benefits. In addition to its use as a dietary supplement, the following benefits are claimed:

Enhance immunity
Prevent arthritis and multiple sclerosis
Treat asthma
Slow the signs of aging
Stimulate hair growth
Improve sexual performance
Reduce symptoms of menopause
Heal bone fractures
Lower cholesterol
Alleviate cardiovascular ailments
Remedy liver disease, pancreatitis, insomnia, fatigue, ulcers, and digestive and skin disorders


Potential Side Effects
Individuals who are allergic to bees and honey, and those who have asthma, can face real dangers if they take royal jelly. Reactions ranging from bronchial spasms, skin irritations, and asthma attacks, to more severe anaphylactic shock, and even death, have been reported from its ingestion. Individuals with compromised immune systems should also be aware. Consult your Doctor before taking this, or any other substance you even remotely suspect may cause death.

Scientific Research
Unfortunately, good evidence does not exist for any of these purported health claims. Although studies with rabbits and rats showed a reduction in their cholesterol levels, and some human trials found a lowering of the bad LDL cholesterol levels, these reports have not been published, so it is impossible to evaluate their validity.
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
:sl:

Uses
Royal jelly is reputed to have a number of benefits. In addition to its use as a dietary supplement, the following benefits are claimed:

Enhance immunity
Prevent arthritis and multiple sclerosis
Treat asthma
Slow the signs of aging
Stimulate hair growth
Improve sexual performance
Reduce symptoms of menopause
Heal bone fractures
Lower cholesterol
Alleviate cardiovascular ailments
Remedy liver disease, pancreatitis, insomnia, fatigue, ulcers, and digestive and skin disorders


Potential Side Effects
Individuals who are allergic to bees and honey, and those who have asthma, can face real dangers if they take royal jelly. Reactions ranging from bronchial spasms, skin irritations, and asthma attacks, to more severe anaphylactic shock, and even death, have been reported from its ingestion. Individuals with compromised immune systems should also be aware. Consult your Doctor before taking this, or any other substance you even remotely suspect may cause death.

Scientific Research
Unfortunately, good evidence does not exist for any of these purported health claims. Although studies with rabbits and rats showed a reduction in their cholesterol levels, and some human trials found a lowering of the bad LDL cholesterol levels, these reports have not been published, so it is impossible to evaluate their validity.

:sl:
SubhanAllah Allah has provided us with everything.
:w:
Reply

Fishman
07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
:sl:
When does a bee become appointed a queen bee?
From birth. The first queen bee that emerges from it's cell (called a queen cup) becomes the new ruler. If another queen emerges at the same time, they fight to the death. Queen bees have a smooth, curved sting, not barbed and straight like the rest of the bees. This allows them to remove the sting from the victim's body, like a wasp does.

Why does there have to be a queen bee?
The queen bee rules the whole nest by passing special hormones around. It rubbs the hormones on bees nearby, and then they rub the hormones on other bees near them. This carries on until the whole nest is under the control of the hormones. Without the queen bee, the nest would dissolve to chaos, because all the bees would act independently from each other.

What is the job of a queen bee?
The queen bee never leaves the nest, and has two main jobs. The first job, which I have talked about before, is distributing the hormones which control the other bee's behaviour. The second is laying eggs.
There are three types, or castes, of bee in a (honey bee) nest, the workers, the drones and the queens. Worker bees are all female, but due to the hormones that the queen produces, they are all sterile. Drones are all male. They have no sting, and only exist in order to mate with the queen. after the queen is fertilised, the drones are all kicked out of the nest to die. Because the only fertile bee is the queen, it is responsible for laying all the eggs. After mating only once, the queen has a supply of fertile eggs for the rest of it's life. because it has to lay eggs constantly, the queen never leaves the nest, except for when it first mates with a drone. This happens when bees swarm.
:w:
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
:sl:

SubhanAllah! This is all amazing.

They fight to gain status and they work together to keep in a order of work. Do you know where the sting is located? because I believe the Queen Bee in the garden (I saw earlier) is still there and I would like to track the sting down. This is so amazing.MashAllah.

:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
And thy Lord taught the Bee to build its cells in hills, on trees, and in (men's) habitations

016.068



lol sis i dont kno much about the bee's, but that ayyat jus popped into my head :D
Reply

Fishman
07-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
:sl:

SubhanAllah! This is all amazing.

They fight to gain status and they work together to keep in a order of work. Do you know where the sting is located? because I believe the Queen Bee in the garden (I saw earlier) is still there and I would like to track the sting down. This is so amazing.MashAllah.

:w:
:sl:
I doubt that you saw a queen bee in the garden, as they never leave the nest except for swarming. Also, queen bees don't have the hairs on their legs that worker bees use to pick up pollen. Queen bees are much too valuable for them to be sent out to collect food.

The queen bee's sting is located in the end of it's abdomen, like the rest of the bees' stings. It is normally never used except to kill other queens.
:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
why would it want to kill other Queens?
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
I doubt that you saw a queen bee in the garden, as they never leave the nest except for swarming. Also, queen bees don't have the hairs on their legs that worker bees use to pick up pollen. Queen bees are much too valuable for them to be sent out to collect food.

The queen bee's sting is located in the end of it's abdomen, like the rest of the bees' stings. It is normally never used except to kill other queens.
:w:

:sl:
Really? But this bee was no ordinary sized bee.

*takes out ruler*

Yes, it must have been about 3cm in length and 1.5cm in width. Usually, the size if a bee is approximately:

L= 1.5cm
W=1cm

Abdomen? Okay. I shall be keeping a close eye.inshAllah.

:w:
Reply

Fishman
07-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Mazed
why would it want to kill other Queens?
:sl:
When they are born, queen bees normally try to kill other queens that are still inside the queen cells (or queen cups), in order to stop competiton. Also, if a nest has lost it's queen, then only one queen can rule it, and the first queen out 'assassinates' the others.

Really? But this bee was no ordinary sized bee.

*takes out ruler*

Yes, it must have been about 3cm in length and 1.5cm in width. Usually, the size if a bee is approximately:

L= 1.5cm
W=1cm

Abdomen? Okay. I shall be keeping a close eye.inshAllah.
Prehaps it was simply a particlularly large individual? Or a different species of bee (bumble bees can grow very large)?

There is a type of solitary wasp called the giant wood wasp (which uses its egg-laying tube, called an ovipositor, to 'drill' holes in wood, and then lays its eggs in there) that can grow up to about five centimeters long. I saw a huge one when I was on holiday in Scotland. But to my knowledge they don't eat nectar. Most wasps can only eat solid food (like fruit) or other insects.
:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:22 AM
jazakAllah khair fishman.

So its the plants resources that the bees compete for?
subhanAllah Allahs creations are amazing!!
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:25 AM
sis does the queen bee u saw look like this:



Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Salam,

*shivers* No, brother, it was 3 times the size of the one shown in the picture. That doesn't look like a bee, it looks like a wasp.

Look what I found:

The Workers


Workers, the smallest bees in the colony, are sexually undeveloped females. A colony can have 50,000 to 60,000 workers.

The life span of a worker bee varies according to the time of year. Her life expectancy is approximately 28 to 35 days. Workers that are reared in September and October, however, can live through the winter.

Workers feed the queen and larvae, guard the hive entrance and help to keep the hive cool by fanning their wings. Worker bees also collect nectar to make honey. In addition, honey bees produce wax comb. The comb is composed of hexagonal cells which have walls that are only 2/1000 inch thick, but support 25 times their own weight.

Honey bees' wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, thus making their distinctive buzz. That is why there is so much buzzing.
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:30 AM
subhanAllah!!

11,400 times :uuh:
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Mazed
subhanAllah!!

11,400 times :uuh:

:sl:
I wonder if they sweat alot. Why? well, when we run, we are:

using up energy = Heat = Sweat.

How about bees? Plus, they have such a hard core body, so assume they do.

:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
lol maybe, i remember in a talk by ziaullah khan he said the bee works its WHOLE life to make one spoon of honey and how precious and valuable is that honey to us!! Alhamdullilah, if only we were as hardworking as these creatures!!
Reply

Fishman
07-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Mazed
jazakAllah khair fishman.

So its the plants resources that the bees compete for?
subhanAllah Allahs creations are amazing!!
:sl:
No, the queens compete either for a mate, or dominance of the hive. When bees swarm, it's normally because of queens mating. The virgin queens and drones all fly out, and then find a mate. Once a queen mates with a drone, it kills the drone and flys off to start a new nest. I'm not sure what bees do now, but queen wasps actually do the first steps of building the nest themselves.

Giant wood wasps are orange and black in colour, and look quite a bit like hornets. But they are largley harmless, and don't have a sting. In fact, a sting is essentially a modified version of the ovipositor.

I wonder if they sweat alot. Why? well, when we run, we are:

using up energy = Heat = Sweat.

How about bees? Plus, they have such a hard core body, so assume they do.
Bees don't sweat, only mammals can do that. Bees don't breath like humans either, their surfaces have pores in them, through which air flows. Because bees don't have anything to pump air with, they have to rely on external air currents such as the wind to move air throughout their system. If bees were the size of humans, they would need hurricane-force winds to breath.
:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
ovipositor. <-- whats the bro :?
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Mazed
lol maybe, i remember in a talk by ziaullah khan he said the bee works its WHOLE life to make one spoon of honey and how precious and valuable is that honey to us!! Alhamdullilah, if only we were as hardworking as these creatures!!

:sl:
I have 3 bottles of honey and they all smell different for some reason. I wonder if they ever get sick and tired of working.

How long do they live for?
:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
:sl:
I have 3 bottles of honey and they all smell different for some reason. I wonder if they ever get sick and tired of working.

How long do they live for?
:w:
lol sis, there whole life, i dont think bee's are ever idle... ALlahu Allam
Reply

Fishman
07-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Mazed
ovipositor. <-- whats the bro :?
:sl:
An ovipositor is an egg-laying tube that is present in solitary wasps and sawflies. It's like a long prong or thread that sticks out of the wasp's body. It is used for inserting eggs into things, like wood, or other insects in the case of parasitic wasps.

I have 3 bottles of honey and they all smell different for some reason. I wonder if they ever get sick and tired of working.

How long do they live for?
I don't think bees overwork themselves, they probably just start doing another job when they start feeling tired. Bees don't think like humans and they don't have human feelings, so they don't get bored.

I'm not sure how long bees live, but it is probably rather short. Queen bees, however, have quite long lives, whilst drones only live for one year. Drones spend most of their time doing no work and being fed by the worker bees.

Bees, wasps and sawflies (and velvet ants, which aren't actually ants) are also closely related to the ant. All the members of this group have thin 'wasp waists'.
:w:
Reply

Mawaddah
07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
When I was in Dammaj, Yemen, My father kept like around 20 beehives in the backyard and it was simply amazing to watch the bees work.
Fishman has already provided alot of information about the Queen Bee and bee's in general but I just wanted to say that they really are truly incredible creatures Subhanallah. It's just so lovely to watch them gathering pollen and brushing the pollen off from their backs and packing them on the sides of their legs, and then when you put some sugar water out for them, the container will be covered with bees in no time!! (make sure put some floating objects on the water for them to stand on though)

Also different honey's taste different depending on the different flowers from which the honey was made from...........
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Salam,

:sl:

Talking of pollen and gathering, I was watching the bees do that. I have some pictures too. I took them today. They will do anything to get into the desired flower.

When you say sugar water, is it just water with sugar?

Here are the pictures I took, I just wanted to share my joy.

When I mentioned 'they will do anything to get into the flower'-this is what I meant. The flower is closed but the bee doesn't care.


This is the best one. The bee went from the red flower then it sat in every yellow flower and this was one of them.



Wasalam
Reply

H4RUN
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm
:sl:

Uses
Royal jelly is reputed to have a number of benefits. In addition to its use as a dietary supplement, the following benefits are claimed:

Enhance immunity
Prevent arthritis and multiple sclerosis
Treat asthma
Slow the signs of aging
Stimulate hair growth
Improve sexual performance
Reduce symptoms of menopause
Heal bone fractures
Lower cholesterol
Alleviate cardiovascular ailments
Remedy liver disease, pancreatitis, insomnia, fatigue, ulcers, and digestive and skin disorders


Potential Side Effects
Individuals who are allergic to bees and honey, and those who have asthma, can face real dangers if they take royal jelly./
:sl:
how can royal jelly help cure asthma but still cause 'real dangers' for the sufferers? bit of a risk?
:w:
Reply

Fishman
07-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by H4RUN
:sl:
how can royal jelly help cure asthma but still cause 'real dangers' for the sufferers? bit of a risk?
:w:
:sl:
It probably doesn't work, the information also stated that professional doctors say that there is no real evidence for most of these claims.
:w:
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Salam,

Br Harun and Br Fishman, did you like the pictures I took? I say they are fantastic.

Wasalam
Reply

Fishman
07-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
Salam,

Br Harun and Br Fishman, did you like the pictures I took? I say they are fantastic.

Wasalam
:sl:
The top one's a little out of focus, and the bottom one is to a lesser extent, but considering most cameras are not designed to take close-ups, the the bottom one's quite good. I think it could be more zoomed in though, as it is difficult to see the bee.
:w:
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
The top one's a little out of focus, and the bottom one is to a lesser extent, but considering most cameras are not designed to take close-ups, the the bottom one's quite good. I think it could be more zoomed in though, as it is difficult to see the bee.
:w:

:sl:
It is actually a mobile camera. But I say it is better than no pictures at all.
In the red flower, you can just about make out some blackness. This is the bee trying to get into the flower. I had another picture, but it doesn't come up on the computer.

Khaiyr.

:w:
p.S: Thank you for your honest opinion, I will know to zoom in next time.InshAllah.
Reply

H4RUN
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
:sl:
the 1st 1 is not as clear as it could have been, but the second 1 is pretty good, even though i'm not a flower person lol nor a bee 1 lol
mind you dont get too close to the bees eh
:w:
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by H4RUN
:sl:
the 1st 1 is not as clear as it could have been, but the second 1 is pretty good, even though i'm not a flower person lol nor a bee 1 lol
mind you dont get too close to the bees eh
:w:

:sl:
I once heard that if you stand still whilst a bee is flying around it. It will go away and not sting you.
:w:
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
07-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
:sl:
I once heard that if you stand still whilst a bee is flying around it. It will go away and not sting you.
:w:
:salamext:

is anyone willing to take that risk :eek:
Reply

H4RUN
07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
:sl:
I once heard that if you stand still whilst a bee is flying around it. It will go away and not sting you.
:w:
:sl:
lol yeh thats what people mainy do, dont bother them and they wont bother u eh....but erm i've hit sum oops lol with a snooker cue [stick] of all things, and got them over n over again...tut tut lol
:w:
Reply

H4RUN
07-26-2006, 09:30 PM
*edit*
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Salam,

Yesterday I were watering the plants. I noticed a bee on he flower and so, I poured some water on it. Whoa! It flew after me.
Then, I noticed it disppeared. In fact, it sat on a plank of wood which had water on it. I wonder if it felt cooler sitting in the water droplets.

Never throw water on a working bee.

Wasalam
Reply

amirah_87
07-27-2006, 10:52 AM
ass salaamu alaykum

Sis Ameera that is one HUUUUUUGE bee you saw....maybe it was genetically modified!!!...:p

just kiddin'...;D

we had a bee hive once on the the ceiling of our masjid in yemen...it was sooo funny..when the bee's would come out all the sisters in their lessons would start hoppin around, divin and duckin..LOOOOL!!

BEES ARE SCARY!! :offended:
Reply

Ameeratul Layl
07-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by amirah_87
ass salaamu alaykum

Sis Ameera that is one HUUUUUUGE bee you saw....maybe it was genetically modified!!!...:p

just kiddin'...;D:

:sl:

:uhwhat Genetically modified? No.

I am very certain it were the queen bee.

:w:
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!