/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Deliberate Killing Of UN Observer In Lebanon

Syed Nizam
07-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Deliberate Killing Of UN Observer In Lebanon

U.N. deaths put pressure on Rome talks for ceasefire
By Alistair Lyon, Special Correspondent

BEIRUT (Reuters) - Israel's killing of four U.N. observers piled pressure on an international conference in Rome on Wednesday to end a 15-day-old Middle East conflict, as Hizbollah vowed not to accept any "humiliating" truce terms.

United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan demanded Israel investigate the "apparently deliberate targeting" of a U.N. post in southern Lebanon where an Israeli air strike killed the four U.N. military observers on Tuesday.

Israel, waging a military offensive in Lebanon against Hizbollah guerrillas, announced it would hold a probe and expressed regret at the deaths but said it was shocked Annan had suggested the observers may have been deliberately targeted.

A Chinese national was among the four observers killed, China's official Xinhua news agency reported. It said the other three were from Finland, Austria and Canada.

U.N. officials said the air strike had caused the building housing the observers to collapse and that rescue teams had been sent to retrieve the bodies from the rubble.

"(This) attack on a long established and clearly marked U.N. post at Khiam occurred despite personal assurances given to me by (Israeli) Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that U.N. positions would be spared Israeli fire," Annan said in a statement.

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...c=Worldupdates

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 07:42 AM
Israel would say - [S]"So What? What can UN do to us?"[/S]

Syed Nizam
07-26-2006, 07:42 AM
One would be left to ponder on what actually the Israeli's `REAL' intention by killing those UN observer? Btw, this is not the first or the last time that the Israeli's has deliberately killed those from the UN......

Syed Nizam
07-26-2006, 07:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Israel would say - [S]"So What? What can UN do to us?"[/S]
True.... i would rather called the UN as USELESS NATIONS

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 07:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Syed Nizam
One would be left to ponder on what actually the Israeli's `REAL' intention by killing those UN observer? Btw, this is not the first or the last time that the Israeli's has deliberately killed those from the UN......
Israel would say - [S]Do we really have to give reason for what we've done to those UN observer? :rollseyes [/S]

north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 07:48 AM
UN Security Council is NOTHING with Veto powers....misused by some 'POWERFUL' members.

Syed Nizam
07-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Israel would say
[S]Big Brother Uncle Sam surely will protect us..., so who cares....[/S]

north_malaysian
07-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Israel would say
[S]Big Brother Uncle Sam surely will protect us..., so who cares....[/S]
Actually it's [S]BIG FATHER[/S] not big brother...

Do you realize that Muslims want something, but their leaders want something else.

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
:rollseyes Anan is an idiot and irresponsible for his comments. Why would Israel purposely attack the UN when public oppinion is on their side? It makes no sense militarily. You guys might think Israel is bloodthirsty but they aren't stupid.

sameer
07-26-2006, 01:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
:rollseyes Anan is an idiot and irresponsible for his comments. Why would Israel purposely attack the UN when public oppinion is on their side? It makes no sense militarily. You guys might think Israel is bloodthirsty but they aren't stupid.
they're not stupid....but they think the majority of the world is.

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 02:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
they're not stupid....but they think the majority of the world is.
This is pointless believe what you want to.

Dawud_uk
07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
This is pointless believe what you want to.

Israel troops 'ignored' UN plea

UN peacekeepers in south Lebanon contacted Israeli troops 10 times before an Israeli bomb killed four of them, an initial UN report says.
The post was hit by a precision-guided missile after six hours of shelling, diplomats familiar with the probe say.

UN-led crisis talks in Rome ended with no agreement to urge an immediate ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah.

In the latest fighting, up to 13 Israeli soldiers were reported killed in southern Lebanon on Wednesday.

Israel has not confirmed any deaths from among its soldiers, but says there have been 20 casualties in the clashes around the town of Bint Jbail.

More than 400 Lebanese and 42 Israelis have died in two weeks of conflict, which began after Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid on 12 July.

In other developments:

A Jordanian military plane arrived in Beirut to evacuate some of the most seriously wounded Lebanese civilians

Ten lorries loaded with food and medical supplies arrived in the southern town of Tyre from the capital, Beirut

Hezbollah's leader Hassan Nasrallah warned on TV that his organisation would begin firing rockets further south into Israel than Haifa.
Israeli regrets

The four unarmed UN observers from Austria, Canada, China and Finland, died after their UN post in the town of Khiam was hit by an Israeli air strike on Tuesday.

The UN report says each time the UN contacted Israeli forces, they were assured the firing would stop.

Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has expressed "deep regrets" over the deaths.

Israel is conducting an investigation into the deaths.

It has rejected accusations made by UN Secretary General Kofi Annan that the targeting of the UN position was "apparently deliberate".

White House spokesman Tony Snow said "something went really wrong" to cause the deaths, but also said there was no reason to suggest the bombing was deliberate.

'Utmost urgency'

The Rome summit, called by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, brought together EU and Arab nations plus the US and Russia, but not Israel, Iran or Syria.

The conference released a declaration expressing "determination to work immediately to reach with utmost urgency a ceasefire to put an end to the current hostilities".

It also said a ceasefire "must be lasting, permanent and sustainable".

The statement called for an international force with a UN mandate for south Lebanon, and the full implementation of existing UN Security Council resolutions calling for the disarming of militias and deployment of Lebanese troops in the border region.

I cannot believe the level force by which Israel has decided to retaliate in Lebanon
Glen, Edinburgh

Mr Annan said it was important to work with the countries of the region, including Syria and Iran, to find a solution to the crisis.
But Condoleezza Rice was critical of the role of both countries.

"It's not a question of talking to Syria, it's whether Syria's prepared to act," she said.

In an impassioned speech, Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora warned that more people would die if the ceasefire was delayed, and called for a Lebanese-Israeli prisoner exchange as part of plan to end the fighting.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...st/5217176.stm

Published: 2006/07/26 14:39:55 GMT

© BBC MMVI

Dawud_uk
07-26-2006, 03:11 PM
that is right geronimo,

the israelis accidently opened fire at them with artillery 10 times and then accidently dropped a precision bomb on them.

i am sure your right on this one, seems a mistake entirely and a complete slip up, you know like what you accidently send a funny email to a work colleague and get in trouble for it, could happen to anyone really.

people accidently shell their neighbours with artillery so often, dont understand what the UN is getting so upset about.

Daw'ud

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
that is right geronimo,

the israelis accidently opened fire at them with artillery 10 times and then accidently dropped a precision bomb on them.

i am sure your right on this one, seems a mistake entirely and a complete slip up, you know like what you accidently send a funny email to a work colleague and get in trouble for it, could happen to anyone really.

people accidently shell their neighbours with artillery so often, dont understand what the UN is getting so upset about.

Daw'ud
I'd rather wait til all the facts are out.

جوري
07-26-2006, 03:21 PM
I'd rather wait til all the facts are out.
Yup.. like for the story to die down or they can work "American Idol" into it somehow like the girls signing the bombs.....

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Yup.. like for the story to die down or they can work "American Idol" into it somehow like the girls signing the bombs.....
No until the probe is complete. During an action facts can be distorted or mixed up. Not to say it didn't happened (and if it did it's deporable) I just would rather wait for the probe.

جوري
07-26-2006, 03:30 PM
No until the probe is complete. During an action facts can be distorted or mixed up. Not to say it didn't happened (and if it did it's deporable) I just would rather wait for the probe.
aight chief as you like....

Dawud_uk
07-26-2006, 03:31 PM
given israels actions during its whole history and its cover up's afterwards do you seriously believe they would conduct an honest investigation?

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 03:35 PM
given israels actions during its whole history and its cover up's afterwards do you seriously believe they would conduct an honest investigation?
You mean like the massacre in Jenin that the Pals said happened that was later proven to be a lie by almost every international organization :rollseyes ? By the way guess what? The UN is conducting this probe.

جوري
07-26-2006, 03:39 PM
You mean like the massacre in Jenin that the Pals said happened that was later proven to be a lie by almost every international organization :rollseyes ? By the way guess what? The UN is conducting this probe.
The massacre in Jenin didn't happen now? oh my God what a world we live in
You need to join the mosad... you are clearly talented

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 03:40 PM
The massacre in Jenin didn't happen now? oh my God what a world we live in
You need to join the mosad... you are clearly talented
I would prefer the CIA they got cooler codenames.

جوري
07-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I would prefer the CIA they got cooler codenames.
what is keepin' ya?

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 03:42 PM
The Battle of Jenin took place in April 2002 in Jenin's Palestinian refugee camp as part of Operation Defensive Shield, a large-scale military operation conducted by the Israel Defence Forces (IDF), the largest conducted in the West Bank since the 1967 Six-Day War. According to the IDF, Operation Defensive Shield was launched as a counter-terrorist offensive.

The battle attracted widespread international attention because journalists, particularly in the UK, falsely reported that a massacre of Palestinians had taken place during the fighting, and that hundreds, or even thousands, of bodies had been secretly buried in mass graves by the IDF, allegations that were later shown to be baseless.

The United Nations (UN) report said that the number of Palestinians killed was at least 52, 22 of whom were civilians, according to Human Rights Watch (HRW). 23 Israeli soldiers were killed. A section of the camp was destroyed during the fighting

Geronimo
07-26-2006, 03:43 PM
what is keepin' ya?
Nothing I'm just waiting on my cool decoder ring I'm supposed to get. I hope they recieved all the UPCs off the back of my malt o meal boxes ok.

جوري
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Nothing I'm just waiting on my cool decoder ring I'm supposed to get. I hope they recieved all the UPCs off the back of my malt o meal boxes ok.
I was about to suggest-- you should cut those up and send them out already....

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
07-26-2006, 05:07 PM
yep deliberate killing, Israel can pretty much kill anyone they like without any questions asked even if someone does speak up against it they'll just say it was in self defense. Just like the self defensing theyre doing now.

MRR
07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
It is rediculous to claim that this was done on purpose. LOL!

Keltoi
07-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I find this incident sort of baffling. Obviously an Israeli soldiers tagged the building with a laser to guide the munitions that destroyed it. I think it is fairly obvious it was mistake, but I'm still baffled as to how it came about.

جوري
07-26-2006, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I find this incident sort of baffling. Obviously an Israeli soldiers tagged the building with a laser to guide the munitions that destroyed it. I think it is fairly obvious it was mistake, but I'm still baffled as to how it came about.
Why is it so obvious? the sky is the limit where Israel is concerned... every day they push more to see what they can get away with and every day thousands make pardons for them...

Rou
07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Only someone who is truly and utterley blind will after all these acts and the past acts say that USA ,ISrael and UK are not working together to control the world...

they are not democratic and care not for lives of women and children

the UN is nothing but a tool that is used to control everyone else but USA and UK and israel...

UN Observers killed after 10 warnings...

Anyother country would be destroyed by now if they had done this!

WHAT MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED!

Rou
07-26-2006, 05:37 PM
??? 10 warnings

you have clearly shown that there is no point in showing those in denial anything no matter how clear the proof you will deny...

I cant beleive such denial...

Trumble
07-26-2006, 05:55 PM

I agree; it seems to have been a cock-up of the first order, or indeed a sequence of them. If someone can produce a remotely plausible explanation as to why Israel would actually want to kill UN troops, I might consider the possibility it was deliberate.

Isaac
07-26-2006, 06:24 PM
there use to picking the wrong targets. just look at the amount dead.

adi8putra
07-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Why must Annan be an idiot when he made comments about Israel where it hurts? I do believe that he has made it a point that Elhud Olmert himself gives the guarantees on the safety of the UN observer? So who is the idiot here?:rollseyes

rubiesand
07-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Why would Isreal want to kill UN soldiers?

So any nation who would potentially contribute to a peacekeeping or observation force between Israel and Lebanon would seriously decide to think twice or three times before commiting their troops to it.

A shot across the bow, as it were.

Fishman
07-26-2006, 06:31 PM
:sl:
If Israel is only hitting civilians by accident, then why is there a hole shot through this Lebanese ambulance right in the middle of the red cross?

:w:

adi8putra
07-26-2006, 06:38 PM
That's awesome fishman. Thanks 4 the info.

j4763
07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
There just as crap as the US army, how many people have died by friendly fire by them...

I'd get the good old SAS to drop a group of there top men into lebanon rescue the soldiers nice a quick with nearly no deaths, end of war... (if only :rollseyes )

Rou
07-26-2006, 06:42 PM
They thought X marked the spot!?

In plain they are showing to the world hints of what there true power is and who has who on what leash...

i just cant get over the denial of some people its a joke the enemy including there enemy wether they know it or not slaps them in the face and they look for what they might have done wrong!?

ignorance is amazing!

Fishman
07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by adi8putra
That's awesome fishman. Thanks 4 the info.
Much appreciated, although I'm not sure why you are calling the murder of a helpless hospital patient 'awesome'.

There just as crap as the US army, how many people have died by friendly fire by them...

I'd get the good old SAS to drop a group of there top men into lebanon rescue the soldiers nice a quick with nearly no deaths, end of war... (if only )
In a combat situation it's probably not as easy as it seems to tell friend from foe. If you see a guy with a bug gun coming round the corner in a place full of enemy soldiers you're quite likely to shoot instinctively, and then find out who it is.

j4763
07-26-2006, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

In a combat situation it's probably not as easy as it seems to tell friend from foe. If you see a guy with a bug gun coming round the corner in a place full of enemy soldiers you're quite likely to shoot instinctively, and then find out who it is.
I guess your right... the closest i've ever come to being on the front line is on call of duty and even then i make mistakes.

But i do think what these guys did was a mistake, what benifit would it do for them of ot was planned???

Fishman
07-26-2006, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by j4763
I guess your right... the closest i've ever come to being on the front line is on call of duty and even then i make mistakes.

But i do think what these guys did was a mistake, what benifit would it do for them of ot was planned???
Yup, the closest most of us here have been to the front line is on a video game, in my case Halo. Not that I play video games anymore now that I've reverted to Islam.

I don't think Israel intended to kill UN visitors, but it does show that they are heartless enough to fire at some guys in civilian clothing that were just standing there. Probably thought that they were lebanese.

adi8putra
07-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Much appreciated, although I'm not sure why you are calling the murder of a helpless hospital patient 'awesome'.
I'm calling it awesome due to the reference of the battered ambulance. If the IDF can lay waste to something like a red cross ambulance, surely the killing of the UN observer or any other civilians is NO accident. It's simply deliberately done...... How gruesome!

Fishman
07-26-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm calling it awesome due to the reference of the battered ambulance. If the IDF can lay waste to something like a red cross ambulance, surely the killing of the UN observer or any other civilians is NO accident. It's simply deliberately done...... How gruesome!
This sort of thing is why I think Israel is doing this as a kind of collective punishment, kind of like what the British and/or Americans did to Tripoli to stop piracy. It's like dropping a bomb on your house just to get rid of rats.

adi8putra
07-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Dude, if u'r talking about Jenin, do read the report from this links. Believe me, the stories are quite chilling!

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2002/isra...ael0502-05.htm

MRR
07-26-2006, 08:03 PM
It's like a feeding frenzy on bad ideas.
There is no benefit to them killing Un peacekeepers on purpose.

GARY
07-27-2006, 08:08 AM
I don't believe he is an idiot, but his comments were irresponsible and premature. No, the government of Israel is certainly not stupid.
that is right geronimo,
Daw'ud
It does seem crazy. Yet when you consider the incredible number of friendly fire deaths in the US military alone of their own soldiers, it becomes obvious that there is a huge amount of room for error.
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
yep deliberate killing, Israel can pretty much kill anyone they like without any questions asked even if someone does speak up against it they'll just say it was in self defense. Just like the self defensing theyre doing now.
It is unlikely that it was done deliberately.
format_quote Originally Posted by Rou
Only someone who is truly and utterley blind will after all these acts and the past acts say that USA ,ISrael and UK are not working together to control the world...
That is a seperate issue, perhaps you want to start a thread?
they are not democratic and care not for lives of women and children
Clearly a country that has an elected government is democratic. The women and children comment is a little bit silly, and for emotional effect.
Anyother country would be destroyed by now if they had done this!
By whom? The UN? This is doubtful. The UN has much patience, and diplomacy is their main weapon. It would need to get quite messy before any military action was considered.
WHAT MORE PROOF DO YOU NEED!
At this point, there has not been any proof. We don't know what actually happened, or why.
format_quote Originally Posted by rubiesand
Why would Isreal want to kill UN soldiers?
So any nation who would potentially contribute to a peacekeeping or observation force between Israel and Lebanon would seriously decide to think twice or three times before commiting their troops to it.
A shot across the bow, as it were.
A very interesting possibility, and I did actually stop and ponder this for a moment. But the problem I see with it is that it is doubtful that the Israeli government wants to re-occupy Lebanon because it is costly, accomplishes little, and there is almost no public support for the idea in Israel. Also, the risk of angering allies is too great. I don't believe this is true.
If Israel is only hitting civilians by accident, then why is there a hole shot through this Lebanese ambulance right in the middle of the red cross?
The same reason there are so many friendly fire incidents in the US military.
ignorance is amazing!
Indeed. Ignorance leads to conspiracy theories.
Yes, among many other factors, it is not always easy, even with hi-tech weaponry.
format_quote Originally Posted by MRR
It's like a feeding frenzy on bad ideas.
There is no benefit to them killing Un peacekeepers on purpose.
I would not say there is no benefit, at least one poster has suggested a possible benefit. It just seems unlikely considering all the information. Among the reasons I stated earlier, they also cannot afford the bad publicity.

adi8putra
07-27-2006, 09:15 AM
I wonder..... why must when the Israeli's do anything gruesome, there is always an acceptable excuses for that.

When they attack & killed the UN observer, it is not done deliberately. They are NOT guilty for any wrong doing. When they attacked the infrastructure, civilians, ambulance etc..., they r still not guilty. Yeah right! This is the most sickening reasoning that I've heard so far.

It seems that the pro-Israeli's lobby group in the whole world (particularly in the US) have indeed accomplished their ultimate goals. For no matter what the Israeli's decided to do, they will always get away from it unscathed. No questions asked. That's the plain truth.

Fishman
07-27-2006, 09:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GARY
The same reason there are so many friendly fire incidents in the US military.
If you're in an F16 it's pretty obvious that anything with a big red cross on it is not the super-secret lair of Hezbollah.

Silver
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
A lot of people tend to defenf Israel all the time.they always say that they kill by mistake.They're not saints you know!And the over-use of power proves it.

adi8putra
07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
A lot of people tend to defenf Israel all the time.they always say that they kill by mistake.They're not saints you know!And the over-use of power proves it.
yeah, absolute power, corrupts....:?

Geronimo
07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Annan's Claims On Casualties May Unravel
BY BENNY AVNI - Staff Reporter of the Sun
July 27, 2006
URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/36860

UNITED NATIONS — An apparent discrepancy in the portrayal of events surrounding the deaths of four unarmed U.N. observers in Lebanon threatens to unravel Secretary-General Annan's initial accusation that Israel "deliberately" targeted the U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon.

A Canadian U.N. observer, one of four killed at a UNIFIL position near the southern Lebanese town of Khiyam on Tuesday, sent an e-mail to his former commander, a Canadian retired major-general, Lewis MacKenzie, in which he wrote that Hezbollah fighters were "all over" the U.N. position, Mr. MacKenzie said. Hezbollah troops, not the United Nations, were Israel's target, the deceased observer wrote.

A senior U.N. peacekeeping operation official who briefed the press yesterday, however, said that on the day the deaths occurred, the only "known Hezbollah activity was 5 kilometers away."The official's briefing was conditioned on anonymity, but the undersecretary-general for peacekeeping operations, Jane Holl Lute, supplied the Security Council with similar information at an earlier briefing yesterday.

"To our knowledge, unlike the vicinity of some of our other patrol bases, Hezbollah firing was not taking place within the immediate vicinity" of the base that was hit Tuesday.

Based on reporting by the U.N.'s peacekeeping chief, Jean-Marie Guéhenno, Mr. Annan alleged in Rome Tuesday that the incident was an apparent "deliberate targeting by Israeli Defense Forces of a U.N. Observer post in southern Lebanon." Although Mr. Annan began to backtrack yesterday, his spokeswoman, Marie Okabe, said he stood by the accusation.

Mr. MacKenzie, who after retiring from the Canadian military became a politician, had a very different interpretation. "I happen to know" the now-deceased Canadian U.N. observer, Major Paeta Hess-von Kruedener, Mr. MacKenzie told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in a radio interview yesterday.

"We've received e-mails from him a few days ago and he was describing the fact that he was taking fire within, in one case, three meters of his position ‘for tactical necessity — not being targeted,'" Mr. MacKenzie said he wrote.

In one such e-mail, obtained by The New York Sun, Hess-von Kruedener wrote about heavy IDF artillery and aerial bombardment "within 2 meters of our position." The Israeli shooting, he added, "has not been deliberate targeting, but has rather been due to tactical necessity."

The correspondence between the trooper and former commander amounted to "veiled speech in the military," Mr. MacKenzie, who once commanded the U.N. troops in Bosnia, told the CBC. "What he was telling us was Hezbollah fighters were all over his position and the IDF were targeting them, and that's a favorite trick by people who don't have representation in the U.N. They use the U.N. as shields knowing that they cannot be punished for it."

A spokesman for the peacekeeping operation department, Nicholas Birnbach, told the Sun yesterday that when the U.N. official told reporters that there was no Hezbollah activity within three miles of the U.N. camp, she was referring only to the Monday incident and not to the time period of several days earlier described in the UNIFIL observer's e-mail.

Mr. Birnbach, however, declined to produce a UNIFIL report that would back up Ms. Lute's assertion that there was no Hezbollah activity in the immediate vicinity of the post, which was manned by three other observers beside Hess-von Kruedener.

Mr. Annan and the peacekeeping official yesterday said they now "accept" Prime Minister Olmert's conveyance of regret over the incident. They also said they accept Mr. Olmert's characterization of it as a "tragic mistake," the official said. Ms. Okabe, however, told the Sun yesterday that Mr. Annan would not retract his assertion that Israel deliberately targeted the post.

Mr. Annan and Ms. Lute yesterday welcomed Mr. Olmert's announcement that Israel would launch an investigation, which "we believe should be done jointly with the United Nations," Ms. Lute said.

France's U.N. ambassador, Jean-Marc de la Sabliere, who holds the Security Council presidency, said yesterday he too would like to see a joint investigation, which he said would be beneficial to Israel, adding credibility to the results.

Israel's deputy U.N. ambassador, Daniel Carmon, told the Sun, however, that while the IDF would welcome "any U.N. input," it did not intend to launch a joint investigation. "We will conduct a thorough investigation and inform the U.N. of the results in detail," he said.

The council yesterday attempted to agree on a statement on the deaths of the U.N. observers, but the American ambassador to the United Nations, John Bolton, objected to any condemnation of Israel. Mr. Bolton also warned against using the incident as a "backdoor way of getting a cease-fire or other larger political and military questions," he told reporters.

Mr. Annan has called for "immediate cessation of hostilities." During yesterday's council briefing on the UNIFIL incident, Ms. Lute said, "I reiterate" that call.

GARY
07-27-2006, 07:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
Hi Lara,
my own veiw is that they are extremely careless and negligent, but not purposely targeting noncombatants. There is not a good strategic reason to do this.

Keltoi
07-27-2006, 07:49 PM
From the U.N. observers e-mail to the general, it appears that Hezbollah was swarming around the U.N. post because they thought it would give them protection from Israeli warplanes. Unfortunately for the U.N. observers, Hezbollah added them to the list of those they hide behind.

Link
07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
You are so bias - your a humble slave to the zionist - what a retarded statement - 6 hours UN asked ISrael to stop and they wouldn't - this was nothing to do with hizbollah nor was it an accident

Link
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
hizbollah are not hiding also - quit repeating dumb propaganda - if ISrael had guts - they should've sent their troops in and fought hizbollah face to face

جوري
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
From the U.N. observers e-mail to the general, it appears that Hezbollah was swarming around the U.N. post because they thought it would give them protection from Israeli warplanes. Unfortunately for the U.N. observers, Hezbollah added them to the list of those they hide behind.
yeah tell that to China, Finland, Austria and Canada....

searchingsoul
07-28-2006, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Link
hizbollah are not hiding also - quit repeating dumb propaganda - if ISrael had guts - they should've sent their troops in and fought hizbollah face to face
Why would they want to send in their troops and risk more casualties? That's illogical.

Keltoi
07-28-2006, 05:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Link
You are so bias - your a humble slave to the zionist - what a retarded statement - 6 hours UN asked ISrael to stop and they wouldn't - this was nothing to do with hizbollah nor was it an accident
Then I suppose an e-mail from the U.N. observer was intended to give an excuse for the "Zionists" before he died, that way even though he was killed by an Israeli bomb, those stupid people who believe what he writes wouldn't blame Israel. :rollseyes

Geronimo
07-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Then I suppose an e-mail from the U.N. observer was intended to give an excuse for the "Zionists" before he died, that way even though he was killed by an Israeli bomb, those stupid people who believe what he writes wouldn't blame Israel. :rollseyes
Now even Anan is backing off the comments they were targeted.

afriend
07-28-2006, 02:52 PM
LOL.....

If Hizbullah or some other group were to do the same action, the UN would turn up the heat and blow up the world to get those who did it.....But seeing as though it's Israel....They are going to let them walk over them.....How stupid....

Geronimo
07-28-2006, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
LOL.....

If Hizbullah or some other group were to do the same action, the UN would turn up the heat and blow up the world to get those who did it.....But seeing as though it's Israel....They are going to let them walk over them.....How stupid....
Th UN isn't a country. They have no power. They got blown up in Iraq by Al Queda in Iraq and all they did was leave. They are useless.

adi8putra
07-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Th UN isn't a country. They have no power. They got blown up in Iraq by Al Queda in Iraq and all they did was leave. They are useless.
[MAD]then what's the point of us having the UN?[/MAD]

Angry_Abbas
07-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Israel is known to the world as having the greatest pinpoint accuracy on targets when firing missiles however this great tragedy at the UN was a human error and a full investigation will be done to see what went wrong and how this devastating tragedy never occurs again.

Geronimo
07-28-2006, 03:56 PM
[MAD]then what's the point of us having the UN?[/MAD]
You tell me

rubiesand
07-28-2006, 05:01 PM
UN Withdraws Observers From Warzone

Following the deaths of four United Nations observers on Tuesday, the UN has decided to pull its unarmed observers from the Israeli-Lebanese border. The move follows a statement Thursday in which the UN Security Council declared itself "deeply shocked and distressed" by the bombing of a UN outpost.
source

Mission Accomplished.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
07-29-2006, 07:11 PM
No more observing what the the Israelites are upto

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.