/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New york power cuts?

afriend
07-29-2006, 10:55 PM
:sl:

Been hearing that there have been power cuts in New York, I'd just like to make sure that it's completey bogus......Please tell me it's only bogus stories....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
07-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh come on!!!!

Perhaps that may be true....cos no New York people are online :(

REPSTER
07-30-2006, 04:28 PM

:lol: I aint from new york but i am from old yoke:lol:
Messin :brother:

U from new york or old;D
:w:

amirah_87
07-30-2006, 04:29 PM
ass salaamu alaykum

i know that there were power cuts in ceneral london the other day :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
afriend
07-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Woah lol.....My goodness even in London??? :ooh: :eek:

Well, I'm in the US at the moment, and I'm planning to go NYC in a few weeks.....I don't want to be left in the dark...if you understand what I'm saying....

REPSTER
07-30-2006, 04:49 PM

wats goin on y is the power bein cut:?

I hope the power dont go
cause its a pig problamo u kno

pray it dont go:brother:

Woodrow
07-30-2006, 05:03 PM
It is fairly common for power cuts in the New England Sea board States this time of year. The Electric usage from air conditions exceeds the power production when all the air conditioners kick on. The new England states made the error of relying on nuclear power plants and they are proving to be not as efficient or low cost as was planned for them to be. We got talked into and convinced that they were the way to go. Now, that the plants are getting a few years of age on them many are having to be shut down. An expensive error that resulted in less electricity, more polution and a higher cost. The examples of nuclear power in New York, Connecticut, Massachusets and the other New England States is probably the worlds poster child for the reasons a country is crazy to consider nuclear power, using our present technologies. It is expensive and not reliable.

In the Summer months, New York with it's High Tech fancy nuclear reactors, is dependent on obtaining much of it's electricity from old archaic plants in Canada.

Kittygyal
07-30-2006, 08:36 PM
ahah well the other day it went off in Bristol and i was like what the!!!

afriend
07-30-2006, 08:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is fairly common for power cuts in the New England Sea board States this time of year. The Electric usage from air conditions exceeds the power production when all the air conditioners kick on. The new England states made the error of relying on nuclear power plants and they are proving to be not as efficient or low cost as was planned for them to be. We got talked into and convinced that they were the way to go. Now, that the plants are getting a few years of age on them many are having to be shut down. An expensive error that resulted in less electricity, more polution and a higher cost. The examples of nuclear power in New York, Connecticut, Massachusets and the other New England States is probably the worlds poster child for the reasons a country is crazy to consider nuclear power, using our present technologies. It is expensive and not reliable.

In the Summer months, New York with it's High Tech fancy nuclear reactors, is dependent on obtaining much of it's electricity from old archaic plants in Canada.
That's frightenning...OK jazakalah khair....

I got what I needed, this can be closed if required :)

Ninth_Scribe
07-30-2006, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

Been hearing that there have been power cuts in New York, I'd just like to make sure that it's completey bogus......Please tell me it's only bogus stories....
Not bogus... Queens (my old neighborhood) was down for over a week. Don't read too much into it though, this happens because of heat-waves. Too many people turning on the AC all at once... it blows the transformers, one after the other, down the line like 4th of July fire-works. They shut the grid down to minimize damage.

Ninth Scribe

snakelegs
07-30-2006, 10:31 PM

here in california i can live without an air conditioner, even tho it's hot. where i live the humidity is usually quite low. but i would hate to have to do that in NYC - NYC is the worst place i have ever been in the summer. it's hot and humid and at night you get the reflection of heat from all the concrete and the buildings - plus it seemed like there was never any air! i feel sorry for them.

Ninth_Scribe
07-30-2006, 10:34 PM
The new England states made the error of relying on nuclear power plants and they are proving to be not as efficient or low cost as was planned for them to be. We got talked into and convinced that they were the way to go. Now, that the plants are getting a few years of age on them many are having to be shut down.
Yea, like the Pilgrim Nuclear plant here. Last November Cape Cod got hit with an 81% cost increase and it went through, even though the state supposedly capped utility companies from making increases above 5 percent per year. The jerks! I work two full-time jobs as it is!

Ninth Scribe

afriend
07-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Holy........I'm going to be in Queens in 2 weeks time :X

Ninth_Scribe
07-30-2006, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
Holy........I'm going to be in Queens in 2 weeks time :X
No worries. There is a front moving in on Thursday to cool the place out. You're lucky... everything should be back to normal in time for your arrival. Take Woodhaven Boulevard up to Forest Park and check out the bandshell there. Sometimes the local groups put on a decent show ;)

Ninth Scribe

afriend
07-31-2006, 01:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe
No worries. There is a front moving in on Thursday to cool the place out. You're lucky... everything should be back to normal in time for your arrival. Take Woodhaven Boulevard up to Forest Park and check out the bandshell there. Sometimes the local groups put on a decent show ;)

Ninth Scribe
Oh that is soooo cool! Thanx 4 lettin me know....Will have to check out the band show.....

Ibn Abi Ahmed
07-31-2006, 01:28 AM

There were a few areas because of the really powerful thunderstorms happening latley. Around the Astoria area, LGA airport was out of pwer but that was like a week ago. Nothing really in the area that I live in Alhamdullilah.

afriend
07-31-2006, 01:57 AM
Oh YAAAY!!! A new Yorker :)

Alhamdulillah...I hope things are goin ok for everybody...it's just that a few people I haven't seen online lately, I was getting slightly worried....

PS. Bro Ahmed....things r going to plan :thumbs_up

*noor
07-31-2006, 07:46 PM
salaam

there were some power outages in queens and staten island some lasted up to a week even but nothing here yet alhamdulillah but its predicted that there might be outages tomorrow because the temperature is going to skyrocket above 100.......but maybe a lot of new yorkers havent been online because the verizon dsl internet service has been really poor in this area lately very slow and sometimes no connection i dont know why

anyways so far no blackouts here but i hope there arent any i remember the blackout of summer 2003 was horrible even though it wasnt very long about a day maybe two...just make duaa inshaAllah that there's no power outage.

salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.