/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lebanon tells Rice to stay away

جوري
07-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Lebanon tells Rice to stay away
Sunday 30 July 2006, 12:43 Makka Time, 9:43 GMT

Lebanon has cancelled a visit by Condoleezza Rice, the US secretary of state, following an Israeli air raid in southern Lebanon which killed at least 50 people. Emile Lahoud, the Lebanese president, told Aljazeera on Sunday that the air attack in Qana was a "disgrace" and that there was no chance of holding peace talks until a ceasefire was agreed. "Israel's leaders think of nothing but destruction, they do not think of peace," he said, adding that the Lebanese cabinet would discuss whether to ask the United Nations Security Council to call for a ceasefire. Fuad Siniora, the Lebanese prime minister, said that the bombing had targeted an innocent village and was an Israeli "war crime". "There is no place on this sad morning for any discussion other than an immediate and unconditional ceasefire as well as an international investigation into the Israeli massacres in Lebanon now," Siniora said at a press conference.

Rice, who said she was "deeply saddened" Qana bombing, is currently in Israel but had been expected to visit Beirut during her Middle East trip to press for talks between leaders from Israel and Lebanon. 'Barbaric aggression' The US has faced mounting criticism from around the world for not calling for an immediate ceasefire in southern Lebanon and for apparently giving Israel a green light to press on with its offensive. Up to 600 Lebanese are thought to have died in the Israeli offensive, while 51 Israelis have been killed in Hezbollah rocket attacks. Rice's visit to Jerusalem came as France draws up a draft United Nations Security Council resolution that would call for an immediate truce between Israel and Hezbollah, the Shia group based in southern Lebanon, and prepare for a peace mission. Hassan Nasrallah, Hezbollah's leader, has dismissed Rice's visit, saying that the group would attack cities in central Israel "if the barbaric aggression on our country and people continues". Meanwhile, Israeli defence sources told Israel's Haaretz newspaper on Sunday that the Israeli army's general staff had received orders to accelerate its offensive on Hezbollah before the declaration of any ceasefire. Buffer zone A draft resolution prepared by France proposes deploying up to 20,000 peacekeepers along Lebanon's borders with Israel and Syria.

The proposal stresses the need for "a permanent ceasefire and a lasting solution to the current crisis between Israel and Lebanon" while addressing "the root causes that have given rise to the current crisis".

The conditions for a permanent ceasefire include a buffer zone stretching from the Blue Line - the UN-demarcated boundary that Israel withdrew behind in 2000 - to the Litani River, which was the northern border of Israel's occupation of Lebanon in 1982.

The buffer zone would be "free of any armed personnel, assets and weapons other than those of the Lebanese armed and security forces and of UN-mandated international forces", the draft says. Humanitarian aid Other conditions include the release of two Israeli soldiers whose abduction by Hezbollah prompted Israel's military campaign, and the implementation of Security Council resolution 1559. This demands that Hezbollah be disarmed and that Lebanon extends its control to its southern border with Israel, where Hezbollah has de facto control. Lebanon must also firm up its border "especially in those areas where the border is disputed or uncertain, including in the Shebaa Farms area", the draft is reported to say. Israel seized the Shebaa farms in the 1967 war and still occupies the area. Lebanon claims the region but the UN says it is Syrian, and Syria and Israel should negotiate its fate. Finally, the draft calls for the international community to give financial and humanitarian aid to Lebanon. Kofi Annan, the UN secretary-general, is to preside over a meeting on Monday of possible troop contributors, including the 25-member European Union, Turkey and other nations currently contributing to a UN peacekeeping force in Lebanon.
===============================

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
searchingsoul
07-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Well that should settle it then. No more pleads for US help in ending this conflict. I guess they're on their own.

جوري
07-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Saudi Arabia in spite of their despicable stand has pledged 1.5 billion to Lebanon... as well as many other middle eastern countries.... when one does a good deed... it is good for one not to flaunt it .....if one were sincere... otherwise it would be called a bribe.

Zulkiflim
07-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Salaam,

Again we look to the west for peace,but Inshallah peace is better.
But this resolution is one sided.

LEbanon should and must force Israel to repay restitution,for the lives lost and the return of all the Lebanese in Isrealis holding.

Suadi Arabia offer of 1 billion is good but somehow it fails to address the issue of accoutnability by the Isrealis.

But i am afraid the lebanese goveremnt who support western ideas and fear the west will abide by this rule and not ask for a single compensation from the Israel.

Also i would say that Hezbollah not be disbanded but absorbed into goverment military and it should ask for support and weapon from Syria and Iran and any other muslim coutnries that is willing to give.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nablus
07-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Rice should be kicked away bcz she is the srtongest suppporter for the massacres in Lebanon

Rice May Allah curse u

Halima
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nablus
Rice should be kicked away bcz she is the srtongest suppporter for the massacres in Lebanon

Rice May Allah curse u

She isn't doing a darn thing just wasting her time. If the North Koreans won't listen to her, then who will? Truthfully, that is so.

snakelegs
07-30-2006, 10:36 PM
...Rice, who said she was "deeply saddened" Qana bombing,....
if she is so deeply saddened wouldn't you think she would be screaming for an immediate cease fire???????
btw, i wouldn't let her in if she knocked at my door either.

Ninth_Scribe
07-30-2006, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
But i am afraid the lebanese goveremnt who support western ideas and fear the west will abide by this rule and not ask for a single compensation from the Israel.
You know, I'm sorry it had to come to all of this, but it's about time the Muslim countries backed and supported each other. I was beginning to think your leaders were spineless! Heaven forbid we say anything that might upset President Bush! Well, he doesn't OWN your land... You do!

Ninth Scribe

syilla
07-31-2006, 02:01 AM
she is just one of the slaves

Keltoi
07-31-2006, 03:06 AM
Condi Rice is "doing a job", she is the official U.S. diplomat whose job is to represent the U.S. and its interests in diplomacy. It is the belief inside the Bush administration that a call for an immediate cease-fire would only result in more violence in the not so distant future. Dr. Rice doesn't speak for herself, she is the diplomatic representative of the Bush administration.

anis_z24
07-31-2006, 03:16 AM
Salam,

Keltoi It seems that you don't have no clue what your talking about

Re: Lebanon tells Rice to stay away REJECTION

snakelegs
07-31-2006, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Condi Rice is "doing a job", she is the official U.S. diplomat whose job is to represent the U.S. and its interests in diplomacy. It is the belief inside the Bush administration that a call for an immediate cease-fire would only result in more violence in the not so distant future. Dr. Rice doesn't speak for herself, she is the diplomatic representative of the Bush administration.
ok - if she is just doing her job, why did she find it necessary to say she was "deeply saddened" that she was rejected. is she really that "out of it" that she has no idea what's happening? if so, she is unfit for her job, and if not, at least she wouldn't have say how "deeply" saddened she is.
i believe that we will demand a cease fire the minute israel accepts the fact that among other things, they made a serious mistake in judgement.
how would immediate cease fire only result in more violence??? it would give time to place and international force in the south. aside from destruction and killing, what has israel accomplished so far? they have united the lebanese people and won millions of new fans in the muslim world, (including sunni muslims), for hezbollah and made them much stronger than they were before.
when will people realize that [S]violence only causes more violence![/S] it has not accomplished any thing except to cause more suffering to the people. it is not working and it never will until they all kill each other, and then who will be around to benefit?

SirZubair
07-31-2006, 07:48 AM
I don't like rice.

I prefer roti.

syilla
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
I don't like rice.

I prefer roti.
how come you don't like it... u should try fried rice... yum yum...

u r making me hungry...i'm fasting rite now... *sigh...

better stop talking about food.

AvarAllahNoor
07-31-2006, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Bush senior administration you mean ;D

Dubya is a useless fanatical oaf, who's oil hungry and needs confronting!! - He thinks he's the whole of the USA, and the only superpower so he can throw his weight around. China is gaining in the superpower department. UK do not need USA or any other country as we once ruled the world :giggling: So why balir is ass-licking i do not know. Sooner he leaves office the better fot the UK!!

Silver
07-31-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm glad PM Seniora made Rice understans that she's not welcome here before a cease-fire is established.Only the US can stop Israel and we all know it,they are completely backing Israel...and as long as it stays that way more civilians here will be killed.
I'm glad though there's 48 hour stop of warplane bombings cos that gave the people the chance to flee their villages,many have arrived here to Tripoli and the villages here in the north already.It was hard when i used to see 'em coming before waving white flags so that warplanes won't hit them.Now it's safer for them to travel.May God help them all!
I don't think Israel would've done that if it wasn't for the US and the US can do more...

جوري
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Read today's headline on AOL ... they resumed their attacks.... I knew they were using the so-called investigation as a tactic anyway to see how Hezballah reacts and then run screaming to the world community ... see we are cooperating... hezballah are the aggressors... Time to learn how the enemy works.... So we can do better...

Geronimo
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Lebanon tells Rice to stay away now the US can wash their hands with what's going on between them like Pontius Pilate over Jesus' crucifixtion. Oh by the way the US is in negotiations for a ceasfire.

S_87
07-31-2006, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nablus

Rice May Allah curse u
:sl:

exactly america call for peace then give israel the bombs.

Geronimo
07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
:sl:

exactly america call for peace then give israel the bombs.
And Muslims whether they are misguided or not still blow up marketplaces.

S_87
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
lol nice similarity. i like it. atleast the same muslims who do such a thing dont go calling for peace after :rolleyes:

Muezzin
07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Guys, I'm not exactly enamoured of Ms. Rice myself, but maybe we should lay off the insults towards her as it's improper and not really discussing the story in the first post?

sameer
07-31-2006, 02:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
the muslims who do this act do not form a legitimate goverment of a country (especially one like the US)
so u're comparison is wayyy off.

Keltoi
07-31-2006, 05:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
ok - if she is just doing her job, why did she find it necessary to say she was "deeply saddened" that she was rejected. is she really that "out of it" that she has no idea what's happening? if so, she is unfit for her job, and if not, at least she wouldn't have say how "deeply" saddened she is.
i believe that we will demand a cease fire the minute israel accepts the fact that among other things, they made a serious mistake in judgement.
how would immediate cease fire only result in more violence??? it would give time to place and international force in the south. aside from destruction and killing, what has israel accomplished so far? they have united the lebanese people and won millions of new fans in the muslim world, (including sunni muslims), for hezbollah and made them much stronger than they were before.
when will people realize that [S]violence only causes more violence![/S] it has not accomplished any thing except to cause more suffering to the people. it is not working and it never will until they all kill each other, and then who will be around to benefit?
You don't seem to understand what the U.S. Secretary of State is. She isn't simply a global diplomat out to secure world peace, although that is important too. Condi Rice is also a representative of Bush foreign policy. Of course she is "saddened" by the loss of human life, as any normal human being would be, but her job is to represent the government of the United States and its interests. If Condi Rice simply stated her own personal beliefs and refused to follow the foreign policy of the Bush administration she wouldn't be doing her job, and would be fired. Colin Powell found this out the hard way, as he did his job and lost credibility because of it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.