/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Irish refused bombs sent to Prestwick airport

جوري
07-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Irish refused bombs sent to Prestwick airport
EDDIE BARNES AND MURDO MACLEOD

BOMBS destined to be used by Israel are being flown via Scotland only because the Irish government refused to allow them to land on its soil.

Scotland on Sunday can reveal that after the conflict in Lebanon began three weeks ago, Ireland turned down a United States request for planes carrying 600lb so-called bunker busters to refuel at Shannon airport in Co Clare.

As a result, cargo planes carrying the bombs, which the Israeli army is using in its offensive against the Hezbollah, are being flown via Prestwick airport in Ayrshire.

The use of Prestwick triggered a furious diplomatic row last week after it emerged that the US had broken aviation rules by failing to notify Britain about the flights.

That row is intensifying this weekend as two further American planes carrying 'hazardous' material to Tel Aviv land at the airport.

In another controversial development, Scotland on Sunday has learned that Prestwick is negotiating to allow planeloads of US military personnel on their way to Iraq to stop there.

A well-placed source close to the negotiations said it was bidding to take flights away from Shannon, which is currently used as a stopover for the bulk of the 900 American soldiers who travel from the US to the Middle East every day.

The American airlines which transport the troops through Shannon are understood to be reviewing their use of the airport, following protests in Ireland which have resulted in some of the planes being vandalised. The source said: "It could soon be the case that the Irish will say that they don't want these flights and, as a consequence, then we will look to get them."

The latest revelations are set to crush hopes among British diplomats that the row over Prestwick would die down following President George Bush's apology to Prime Minister Tony Blair on Friday.

One Irish official said that the bombs would never have been allowed on Irish soil.

The source said: "There is absolutely no way that we would allow munitions or weapons to be shipped through Shannon to a location where there is an actual war going on. We would not allow it. It is correct that we allow the US to transport troops to Shannon, but sending bombs to Israel is another matter and completely out of the question for us."

Opposition critics last night seized on the situation. Scottish National Party leader Alex Salmond said: "It is highly significant that Shannon put its foot down and drew back from allowing the transport of bunker busters, which could become the tinder to escalate dramatically the Middle East conflict."

He added: "It is absolutely appalling that we should allow Prestwick to become a stopover to death and destruction."

Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell said the fact that more flights were now landing in Scotland was "adding insult to injury".

He said: "What price the president's apology now?

The British government should be pursuing an active policy of denying weapons of any kind to anyone in the Middle East who may be assisting the conflict in any way."

However, speaking from America, Blair defended the use of Prestwick: "We should just apply the rules in the appropriate way, which is what we are doing. What happens at Prestwick airport is not going to determine whether we get a ceasefire in the Lebanon.

"If what people are saying is that we should impose an arms embargo on Israel, or indeed on the US, I think that would be very curious indeed."

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority confirmed the authorities had approved an 'exemption' allowing the two new flights to land at Prestwick. The first, a Boeing 747 from Texas, landed at about 1pm yesterday for refuelling. A second flight is due to arrive today.

Residents and politicians in Ayrshire have voiced anger at the flights. The airport has been used by the US as a refuelling point for flights involved in the controversial 'extraordinary rendition' of terror suspects to countries where they are alleged to have been tortured.

A demonstration has been planned for today at Prestwick by anti-war campaigners.

Sources at Prestwick say that if the airport took on even more US military flights, it could employ a further 80 people in the area.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ZOREENA
07-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Mashalllahhhh For My Weeee Countryyyyyy!!!!! Yayayayayyyyyy!!

[banana]proud To Be Irish Today[/banana]

جوري
07-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Yup ... not everyone is in support of Zionism as they will have you believe in their cyber war.... Sad thing is Ireland stops them while Arabic countries let them in ... it is an abomination....

afriend
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
Yup ... not everyone is in support of Zionism as they will have you believe in their cyber war.... Sad thing is Ireland stops them while Arabic countries let them in ... it is an abomination....
That makes me intensely angry :mad:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ZOREENA
07-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Ireland Knowz What How Unjust Thingz Are!!! Well In This Case...coz Itz Whatz Happend To The North Of Ireland!!! I Am Soo Happy That They Have Refuzed Them!!!

mrbojangles
07-30-2006, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=PurestAmbrosia;427081]carrying 600lb so-called bunker busters...[QUOTE]

The smallest non-nuclear 'bunker-buster' in the U.S. arsenal is the BLU-109. It weighs a minimum of 2000 lbs. depending on guidance systems used. Your source is incorrect. Link ?

جوري
07-30-2006, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ZOREENA
Ireland Knowz What How Unjust Thingz Are!!! Well In This Case...coz Itz Whatz Happend To The North Of Ireland!!! I Am Soo Happy That They Have Refuzed Them!!!
me too.... the world is slowly waking up.......... three cheers for Ireland......... which is where my sister-in-law is from.... she couldn't be more proud

Zulkiflim
07-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Salaam,

turlly the very idea of muslim leaders who support the current genocide is trully barbaric.

Inshallah each of us will get what we deserve,

Muslim either rich or poor whether powerful or weak ...remember ..

HELL WHERE EVEN STONE BURN.

your flesh is remade every time to be burned every time.
those people who support the murder of muslim be warned,ALLAH is most Just.

Inshallah...

snakelegs
07-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Mashalllahhhh For My Weeee Countryyyyyy!!!!! Yayayayayyyyyy!!

[banana]proud To Be Irish Today[/banana]
[B]good for them!!!!B]

i'd be proud to be irish too.

Looking4Peace
07-30-2006, 10:42 PM
proud to be 1/4 irish

ZOREENA
07-31-2006, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
me too.... the world is slowly waking up.......... three cheers for Ireland......... which is where my sister-in-law is from.... she couldn't be more proud

akkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!! hipip an all!! Wherez ur sis in law from? does she live in ur country now??

ZOREENA
07-31-2006, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
proud to be 1/4 irish

WAS GONA SAY HOW?? THEN I SEEN NYC!!!LOL!! COURSE UR IRISH..UR PROB RELATED TO ME!! LMAO!!

ZOREENA
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
[B]good for them!!!!B]

i'd be proud to be irish too.
FANK U SNAKEY!!

جوري
07-31-2006, 01:38 PM
akkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!! hipip an all!! Wherez ur sis in law from? does she live in ur country now??
she is Irish American first generation.... I love Ireland... I am yet to meet a nasty irish person... thus far they have all been amazing.... but I don't want to jinx it :D :D :D

ZOREENA
07-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Have u been before?? There is nasty Irish ppl but more so when it comez to religion/politictts/territory!! but sure arent we all passionate about that!! Where are u from? Or is it private like?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.