/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Roti/Chapati

imran_c
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
As-salam alaykum wara matulha

Lol i now what youll thinking where the dhall and wheres the mince meat but lol i really wanted to become fit and health and just wanted to now how much calories does roti have? does anybody now?

Wa-salam alaaykum wara matulha

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
08-04-2006, 09:53 AM
One tandoori roti (150 calories)

1 chappati or two phulkas (102 calories)

Diet away bro!! :happy:

Source: http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2005/nov/18drink.htm

umm-sulaim
08-05-2006, 07:21 AM
wow mashaAllah thats a lot of calories!! and thats like something thats always eaten!!
looks like we have to start cutting down lol.....
thanks for the info sis,
wassalaam

Abdul-Raouf
08-05-2006, 07:35 AM
But Instead Of Eating Rice....... Roti/chapati Is Most Preferable........... I Think Roti/chapathi Is The Best One.....

Although If U Eat Large Quantities Of Rice.... It Dont Contain Much Calories.... It Will Just Widenup Ur Tummy......

So I Prefer Roti/chapathi

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
08-05-2006, 08:21 AM
^ur wc sis. I dont think that's a lot of calories compared to a packet of walkers crisps which contain 181 calories. And one packet is never enough is it? :happy:

Muzammil
But Instead Of Eating Rice....... Roti/chapati Is Most Preferable........... I Think Roti/chapathi Is The Best One.....

Although If U Eat Large Quantities Of Rice.... It Dont Contain Much Calories.... It Will Just Widenup Ur Tummy......

So I Prefer Roti/chapathi
Rotis can vary in their calorie content depending on the grade of flour used. Brown wholemeal flour is the best. High in fibre and low GI. White flour is the worst.

Nutritionally brown rice is a good source of B vitamins and also contains calcium and phosphorous. The outer layers of rice contain mostly carbohydrate, minerals and a little protein and it is removed in white rice. Fibre content is also less. Brown rice is good for diabetic patients. The disadvantage of brown rice is that the small amount of bran present in brown rice contains anti-nutritional factors such as phytic acid, which inhibits the absorption of iron and calcium.http://www.bawarchi.com/health/queries27.html

I recommend taking vitamin C with iron to help absorption. And vitamin D with calcium.

:w:

umm-sulaim
08-05-2006, 08:27 AM
oh yeah forgot bout the good ol brown flour lol.....yeah we'll use that instead inshaAlllah...i like brown flour anyway hehe....
So true bout walkers crisp, i've cut that out my diet alhamdulillah...only sooooometimes i'd have it, come on you gotta lol...
brown rice is really nice to have, bt so frustrating to cook, well i only cooked it once.....it takes loooooong, i was like man.....wheres my basmati!!
but nowadays we cut out rice (having it much less) cos that stuff is fattening...
thanks for all the tips sis
wassalaam

Snowflake
08-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Np sis :D But for parathas light brown flour is the best. Umm.. I wish I'd never mentioned parathas before my breakfast. Cuz now I've got my mouth watering lol.

Oh and did you know you can also get low GI pasta? Oh and another thing. LOl, seems like brain is waking up bit by bit. There's a supplemet called Phase 2, which is suppose to neutralise the carbs you eat. Umm wonder if that's safe though? Take it at your own risk! ;D

umm-sulaim
08-05-2006, 08:54 AM
LOoool you got my stomach working too...i haven't had parathas in ages !!
Nah man them supplemnt thingy majiggies..*shakes head* Allah kareem...lol...no way, i like everything natural...
pardon my ignorance but whats GI?
thanks again
wassalaam

Woodrow
08-05-2006, 09:07 AM
I can not tell the difference between flour tortillas and chapatis. Does anyone know if there is a difference?

umm-sulaim
08-05-2006, 09:28 AM
Um... i know what chapatis are, but i'm not familiar with flour tortillas so i couldn't differentiate akhee....
perhaps ukhtee muslimah_sis knows,
wassalaam

Mawaddah
08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
umm sulaim you make roti too!! I never knew that ;D

I make roti eeeeevery sunday and saturday.....that's the only part of Yemen that my father just cannot give up, in yemen we had roti for breakfast all the time you know.....and i'm so tired of making roti's you can't imagine. Not tired of the taste yet though :D but it's all the kneading and rolling and stuff...ugh..

We used to make ours with just white flour, but then recently we switched to 'all healthy' :rollseyes so we use just brown flour now with just a little white flour thrown in.......and it's pretty ok you know!!!

Oh yeah...you can also get organic white flour also :D Life doesn't just have to be painted with that dreary brown flour ......:giggling:

SirZubair
08-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I had Roti for lunch...

..had rice for dinner.

Call me Albert

umm-sulaim
08-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Lol @ bro zAk...

mawaddah...yeah we have roti too...my mum wants us to make it more often, that and la7uu7, you remember it?
she's teaching economics lol....but i really like it, actually come to think of it we have brown and white mixed too...thats my mums favourite...
my auntie umm sulaymans mum makes the best chapatis, i take it from her while they're still hot drizzle honey on it and drink my semi skimmed milk....breakfast is sorted lol...
we also have something that is similar to khubz 3adeni...do you remeber that, its square and quite flakey and layered, but we don't add as much oil as they do...
But man all that flour....ya Allah!!
Good you switched healthy mashaAllah...we have to look after our health sa7..
wassalaam

S_87
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
:sl:

how about having them brown rotis then. thats all healthy (and dont taste as nice)

or dont dose on the butter after the roti is done

- Qatada -
08-05-2006, 11:36 AM
:salamext:

My mom used to make roti with that whole meal flour in the past.. but now we use Barley Flour instead, because it's been mentioned within alot of ahadith, and it's really healthy for you insha'Allaah.

While some of us may assume that this cure is always in the form of a medicine or herbs, the Hadith does not state that. In fact, two of the greatest cures Allah has given us for heart disease are foods that the Prophet (Sal Allaahu alayhi waSalam) ate: whole wheat and barley.

Both provide multiple benefits in the fight against heart disease as they both lower cholesterol, increase proper elimination of wastes by the body, facilitate proper blood clotting, and improve general circulation and cellular health.

When Sahl bin Sad was asked, "Did Allah's Apostle ever eat white flour?" he replied, "Allah's Apostle never saw white flour [from the time] Allah sent him as an Apostle till He took him unto Him."

Modern science has long been against processed breads, even when they are supposedly "enriched." E. Cheraskin, in his book Diet and Disease, compares enriching white flour with "robbing someone in a dark alley of their clothes and wallet, and then giving them back their underclothes and bus money to get home." In addition to the fact that white flour has no nutritional value, it can leech vitamins and minerals from the body as well. This is because nutrient-void foods do not supply all of the nutrients that are needed for their digestion; hence, they must take the nutrients that are lacking from the body. White flour can even mimic white sugar, creating problems for the hypoglycemic or diabetic person (Pritchard, Healing with Whole Foods).

According to nutritionists Jean Anderson and Barbara Deskin, whole-wheat flour, high in protein and fiber, is far superior in nutrition to white flour. Whole grain wheat contains a large amount of Vitamin E, mostly concentrated in its germ layer. Research on the Vitamin E found in wheat discovered that of 31,000 people studied, those who ate whole wheat bread had a much lower risk of heart disease than those who ate white bread. Michael H. Davidson, MD, president of the Chicago Center for Clinical Research, says that this is because the Vitamin E in wheat causes the liver to produce less cholesterol. He found that subjects in his study who consumed ½-cup of wheat germ daily for 14 weeks saw their cholesterol levels drop by seven percent.

Although wheat has undeniable health benefits, we need to be aware of the dangers of its overuse. Eaten daily, whole wheat can be detrimental to the health as it causes bloating in many people and often encourages the growth of unfriendly (candida albicanus) bacteria in the colon. It can also encourage weight gain and cause allergic reactions in many people when overeaten.

It is revealing that Prophet Muhammad (SAW) did not indulge in regular wheat consumption, but ate instead mostly barley and bread made from barley flour. Abu Hazim narrated (in Sahih Bukhari) that he asked the Prophet (SAW), "Did you use to sift barley flour?" The Prophet answered, "No, but we used to blow off the husk (of the barley)."

Barley is so easily digested that the Prophet even recommended that barley soup (talbiyah) be used for all stomach ailments (Sahih Bukhari). Possessing even more health benefits than wheat, barley is extremely high in calcium and protein, and is far less allergenic. It does not encourage bloating or unhealthy bacterial growth; therefore, while wheat is healthful, barley is better for daily consumption.

One of the richest sources of tocotrienols, powerful antioxidants that help reduce damage to the body from dangerous oxygen molecules called free radicals, barley also reduces the body’s production of cholesterol in the liver. David Jenkins, MD, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Toronto says, “Tocotrienols are potentially more powerful antioxidants than other chemical versions of vitamin E.” Barley is also a lot more affordable than most vitamin E supplements on the market. Furthermore, it contains lignana, found to prevent tiny blood clots from forming – perhaps providing a similar benefit to the recently popular “daily dose of aspirin” against heart disease. Just one-half cup of barley contains half the daily requirement for selenium in the diet and almost twenty-percent of the USRDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of Vitamin E. Both of these have been found to be powerful allies in the fight against cancer.

Barley also contains beta-glucan, a type of soluble fiber that forms a gel in the small intestine to which cholesterol binds and is then excreted from the body. This gel forming action also prevents constipation and colon cancer.

To get barley’s healing benefits, it is recommended by health experts that it be eaten in the same way that the Prophet (SAW) did. Hulled barley (the husk loosely intact or “blown off”) is superior to processed barley which has been cleaned and scrubbed more than five times to create a quicker-cooking version that lacks most of barley’s healthful fiber, minerals and thiamin.

more info.
http://198.65.147.194/english/Scienc...article4.shtml

What is talbeenah? How can it be used as a remedy?
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...eng&txt=barley

:wasalamex

lamboodi
08-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I just just finished eating 1 1/2 roti chapatis

Snowflake
08-05-2006, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I can not tell the difference between flour tortillas and chapatis. Does anyone know if there is a difference?
Well I guess tortillas are the mexican version of rotis. Only asians break off bits to scoup up their curry with it and tortillas are used as wraps. I also make wraps with roti. Yum yum! :statisfie

Fi_Sabilillah
My mom used to make roti with that whole meal flour in the past.. but now we use Barley Flour instead, because it's been mentioned within alot of ahadith, and it's really healthy for you insha'Allaah

Is Barley baajra or makai? I know both are beneficial, but which one is which? :?

Kittygyal
08-05-2006, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zÂk
i guess its baajra

i know thats chapati but what is that red blob and that yellow thing in a dish is it some kinda curry but it's so like thick +o( :rollseyes

*sowwie i don't eat asian food plus am sowiee if it insults any one*

umm-sulaim
08-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Oooh i see now thanks for posting it up zAk,
yeah they have something similar in yemen too...
Thanks for the fawaa'id bro fi_sab..
uhm...sis islamgyal..food is food alhamdulillah :)

wassalaam

Kittygyal
08-05-2006, 02:40 PM
sis i know that but am just like curious cause i don't asain food as i was born breded to eat food like pasta and etc etc but as i am a revert and in me step dads mam's house i see curry's that are very thin and light as this one looks thick?? by the way is it a curry??

umm-sulaim
08-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I think its a type of curry...i'm not too sure myself sis, yeah i understand sis...

wassalaam

Kittygyal
08-05-2006, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
I think its a type of curry...i'm not too sure myself sis, yeah i understand sis...

wassalaam

oh ok sis thanks for your elaboration :)

Snowflake
08-05-2006, 03:01 PM
[QUOTE=zÂk;436081]i guess its baajraQUOTE]

Tnx for guessing :happy:

format_quote Originally Posted by islamgyal
eww i know thats chapati but what is that red blob and that yellow thing in a dish is it some kinda curry but it's so like thick +o( :rollseyes

*sowwie i don't eat asian food plus am sowiee if it insults any one*
Sis you mustn't ewww at food even if u dont like it. The prophet (saw) used to leave food he didn't like but never expressed his dislike of it. Just imagine the millionz who are starving, They'd give their right arm for something to eat.

Kittygyal
08-05-2006, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=Muslimah_Sis;436147]
i guess its baajraQUOTE]

Tnx for guessing :happy:

Sis you mustn't eww at food even if u dont like it. The prophet (saw) used to leave food he didn't like but never expressed his dislike of it. Just imagine the millionz who are starving, They'd give their right arm for something to eat.

like i said am sowwie peopel if it insults you :uhwhat

learningislam
08-05-2006, 04:52 PM
:salamext:

Is there any difference between roti and chapati.......Is it the one and the same thing.....coz we dont use the word "chapati"......we say "roti".......and
i thought chapati is thinner than roti.......

do clarify?
i know that sounds stupid but i cant find that info in a dictionary...

:wasalamex

Woodrow
08-05-2006, 05:10 PM
i guess its baajra

That picture could pass as a typical Mexican lunch. Tortilla harina, chilopti and frijoles con queso.

I'm noticing much similarity between Mid-eastern and Mexican foods. I would suspect that would be from the Spanish influence on the country. The only problem with the traditional Mexican foods (Mexicano Autentico) is that they use manteca in the prepartion of most. Manteca would be haraam.

Hijaabi22
08-05-2006, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by imran_c
As-salam alaykum wara matulha

Lol i now what youll thinking where the dhall and wheres the mince meat but lol i really wanted to become fit and health and just wanted to now how much calories does roti have? does anybody now?

Wa-salam alaaykum wara matulha
:giggling: ahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa so funny lol! sowi lol

Fishman
08-12-2006, 10:13 AM
i guess its baajra

That yellow stuff looks quite nice actually...

sis i know that but am just like curious cause i don't asain food as i was born breded to eat food like pasta and etc etc but as i am a revert and in me step dads mam's house i see curry's that are very thin and light as this one looks thick?? by the way is it a curry??
Most people in Britian often have Asian food. It's like fish 'n' chips now!

Kittygyal
08-18-2006, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
That yellow stuff looks quite nice actually...

Most people in Britian often have Asian food. It's like fish 'n' chips now!

salam.
well you tell me Fishman as you were a christain and so was i, tell me do many people eat fish 'n' chips in UK?? no i don't think so, am from Bristol many people don't eat Fish 'n' chips but then again Allah knows best.
w.salam

Fishman
08-19-2006, 09:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salam.
well you tell me Fishman as you were a christain and so was i, tell me do many people eat fish 'n' chips in UK?? no i don't think so, am from Bristol many people don't eat Fish 'n' chips but then again Allah knows best.
w.salam

1. I used to be atheist, not Christian.
2. People do eat a lot of fish 'n' chips, not regularly, but quite often. Nowadays some people eat more Asian food than fish 'n' chips, and it is sometimes considered a traditional British dish.

Kittygyal
08-19-2006, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

1. I used to be atheist, not Christian.
2. People do eat a lot of fish 'n' chips, not regularly, but quite often. Nowadays some people eat more Asian food than fish 'n' chips, and it is sometimes considered a traditional British dish.

salam.
opps sowiee my bad about you was a christain, but anyway i want to say Alhamdulillah we have been given food just look at the poor Ya Allah! :cry: we should not fuss nor waste food but brother i don't know persily everyone in UK inside and out i don't know everyone in UK but yes i see people outside eating fatty food alot but then again it's there wish and yes i do see people eating asian food alot but then again i don't know why i can't eat it but as i was born in a christain family/house so therefore i hardly eat asian but if i go to my step dad's mam's house then they serve me rice i eat that but not cury.
w.salam

Periwinkle18
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
difference between flour tortillas and chapatis
tortilla's hav corn flour in it which we call makai ka atta plus all purpose flour, chapatis r made from flour only and r really thin :)

i like eating roti's n chapatis i just hate making them its the most boring thing ever even though i love cooking the most boring thing would be making roti's :p

buh i love making aloo n qeema paratha :) love eating them too :P

Ghazalah
03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle18
buh i love making aloo n qeema paratha
What is the difference between paratha and roti? And why is roti so chewy? Every-time I order take out from an Asian shop the Roti is either burnt or way to chewy :exhausted

Btw, you bumped a 6 year old thread :p

Periwinkle18
03-16-2012, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
What is the difference between paratha and roti? And why is roti so chewy? Every-time I order take out from an Asian shop the Roti is either burnt or way to chewy :exhausted

Btw, you bumped a 6 year old thread :p
paratha has oil in it,basicly its fried and its really heavy, n there r diff types of parathas the bal wala and the qeema one, the triangular one etc

hmm i guess the roti's u guys get is made out of all purpose flour thts y its so chewy the one we make at home is made out of wheat so its not tht chewy.

lol i joined in 2006 n didn't see this thread then :p guess i was too busy playing the urdu game :P

Endymion
03-16-2012, 05:21 AM
I like rice coz they are easy to cook :statisfie and i love to have all these parathas no matter how much calories they have,if i anyone can prepare them for me :p

[Planning to kidnap Periwinkle :Evil: ]

Periwinkle18
03-16-2012, 05:35 AM
lol noooo don't kidnap me :p come hea n i'll teach u how to make them :)

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-16-2012, 05:39 AM
I don't like rotis. Rice is my staple food. :p I can has anything for meals but rotis. :p

Endymion
03-16-2012, 05:46 AM
lol noooo don't kidnap me :p come hea n i'll teach u how to make them :)
I know how to make them.Teach me how to forget cooking :exhausted I truly hate cooking but i have to do it daily imsad and the worst part is that when ever guests arrive,they find me in the kitchen and they are like,"Oh Endy,always in the kitchen :statisfie yeah we know you love cooking :statisfie: and im like,"Where the hell they come up with ... :raging: [Secret thoughts btw :hmm: ]

Periwinkle18
03-16-2012, 05:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
I don't like rotis. Rice is my staple food. I can has anything for meals but rotis.
lol well if theres an option between rice and roti i would pick rice especially if thers potatoe curry (aloo gosht) or peas ki curry (mattar gosht) with it :) i didnt like roti's at first buh then my mum used to force me to eat it n alhumdulillah i kinda like it now.

Periwinkle18
03-16-2012, 06:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
I know how to make them.Teach me how to forget cooking I truly hate cooking but i have to do it daily and the worst part is that when ever guests arrive,they find me in the kitchen and they are like,"Oh Endy,always in the kitchen yeah we know you love cooking : and im like,"Where the hell they come up with ... [Secret thoughts btw ]
aww sis dw i'll make paratha's for you cheer up u won't be in the kitchen this time :) i love cooking..

i think its good staying in the kitchen, sometimes u don't want to meet some ppl u can hide there and cook somefin :p

Endymion
03-16-2012, 10:22 AM
sometimes u don't want to meet some ppl u can hide there and cook somefin
Great people (Endy and Peri) deal unwanted guests alike :D

Periwinkle18
03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Great people (Endy and Peri) deal unwanted guests alike
lol u hide in the kitchen too :p

Endymion
03-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Yup,but sadly it doesn't work :skeleton:

Salahudeen
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
:phew You all made me hungry right before jummah :hmm: all that's gonna be on my mind now is paratha and rice!!

Periwinkle18
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
You all made me hungry right before jummah all that's gonna be on my mind now is paratha and rice!!
aww sorry bro, you should thank God i didn't mention my home made zinger burger :omg: oops i just did :p

joyous fairy
03-16-2012, 05:12 PM
I like making roti. Its quite easy when you get used to it.

I love parathas but they're not very healthy. In Pakistan we used to have Parathas for breakfast EVERy day! I dont know why they can eat roti 3 times a day :hmm:

I love rice too. Especially brown rice and biryani, yummyy!

Abu.Yusuf
03-16-2012, 05:46 PM
whats the difference between roti and chapati

Endymion
03-16-2012, 06:25 PM
It might be the difference of spelling :hmm: Another name i hear is "Phulka" lol that sounds funny :p

Scimitar
03-16-2012, 06:50 PM
bread was eaten by all Prophets (pbut)... it is sunnah to eat any kind of bread. I wont count calories when it comes to sunnah food, I'll just say bismillah and trust that Allah will put the barakah of the food in my body. Ameen.

Scimi

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-16-2012, 08:12 PM
It might be the difference of spelling :hmm: Another name i hear is "Phulka" lol that sounds funny :p
....and paratha too. Phulka prepared with oil is Paratha, right?

joyous fairy
03-16-2012, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu.Yusuf
I dont think there is one, just that English people call roti 'Chappatti'. I thought it was just the English word for roti.

lol yeh my Grandma calls roti 'Phulka' as well sometimes :p

Ghazalah
03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by joyous fairy
I thought it was just the English word for roti.
My Arabic dialect we also say rooti for bread as well as khubs.

Snowflake
03-16-2012, 10:48 PM
:(

The constant mention of parathas has made me feel kindly sorry for you all. I made aloo parathas today for my son's school lunch. Hot, buttery and spicy parathas that if waved under the nose of the toughest spy would make him crack lol. I'm not gloating. Just everyone who eats them wants them again. That's why I really do wish it were possible to cook them for you all. Honestly it makes me feel sad in a way lol. Maybe, somehow one day insha Allah...

Periwinkle18
03-17-2012, 07:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu.Yusuf
Chapatti's r really thin n the ones we get hea r made of flour and roti's arent tht thin cuz we make em at home n r made out of wheat.

i guess they're sort of the same :S

Endymion
03-17-2012, 11:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
bread was eaten by all Prophets (pbut)... it is sunnah to eat any kind of bread. I wont count calories when it comes to sunnah food, I'll just say bismillah and trust that Allah will put the barakah of the food in my body. Ameen.

Scimi
You remind me of something painful.A few days before i was having dinner and reading a page contains differents Ahadiths.There was a hadith mentioned in it which says that Muhammad SAW seek refuge from hunger and he also said that "hunger is my partner" becuase he used to be hungry most of the time.Reading this,i forgot to take the remaining food and my eyes filled with tear and i thought how ungrateful we actually are imsad Our great Prophet sometimes had nothing to eat and he was grateful and patient towards Allah SWT and we complain alot on small things :'(

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
....and paratha too. Phulka prepared with oil is Paratha, right?
Absolutely right.You have won a Aaloo paratha made by Blossoming Rose :p

format_quote Originally Posted by Dying Rose
:(

The constant mention of parathas has made me feel kindly sorry for you all. I made aloo parathas today for my son's school lunch. Hot, buttery and spicy parathas that if waved under the nose of the toughest spy would make him crack lol. I'm not gloating. Just everyone who eats them wants them again. That's why I really do wish it were possible to cook them for you all. Honestly it makes me feel sad in a way lol. Maybe, somehow one day insha Allah...
You cant do this to me :enough!:

Chapatti's r really thin n the ones we get hea r made of flour and roti's arent tht thin cuz we make em at home n r made out of wheat.
And dont forget to turn off the fan before eating Chapatee otherwise you'll have to remain hungry :(

ardianto
03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scimitar
bread was eaten by all Prophets (pbut)... it is sunnah to eat any kind of bread.
I never heard a sunnah like this. ^o)

In my place, bread is considered as Western food.

Haya emaan
03-17-2012, 02:31 PM
difference between chappatti and rotti:p

1) chapati's are too thin just like a tissue paper
rotti is neither very thin nor very thick

2)my mum cooks roti at home
we have to buy chappatti from the tandoor

3) i can eat one and half chapattis at a time
but can eat only half a roti at a time

Salahudeen
03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
The difference between chapati's and paratha is like the difference between fries and chips, both the same thing in essence, but just cooked and prepared in varying ways.=

ardianto
03-17-2012, 03:24 PM
The difference between chapati's and paratha is like the difference between fries and chips, both the same thing in essence, but just cooked and prepared in varying ways.=
Yesterday you said, what's in your mind before salah jum'ah was paratha and rice.

So, did you eat paratha and rice after salah jum'ah?

ardianto
03-18-2012, 12:19 PM
How to eat chapati? dip it in sauce? or use topping like pizza?

If use sauce, what sauce ? if use topping, what topping?

Ghazalah
03-18-2012, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
How to eat chapati? dip it in sauce? or use topping like pizza?

If use sauce, what sauce ? if use topping, what topping?
Guessing they don't sell Chapatis in your country :giggling:

I think the main thing you eat chapati with is curry, I don't think you can have it like pizza ;D

But then again, I'm no expert, I'm not even a fan of chapati/roti/parata/naan. Talk about having too much names.. :exhausted

ardianto
03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Guessing they don't sell Chapatis in your country
Except in Indian restaurants, no one sell Chapatis in Indonesia. But Roti Canai is popular in Sumatra island, it eaten with sauce.

However, Martabak/Murtabak is very popular in my place, you can find it in everywhere in Indonesia, although maybe not popular in India. Actually this is Arab food, and introduced by people from Arab community in early of 20th century. But, I don't know why, people in my place call Murtabak as Indian food. Might be because those Arabs looked like people from North India, who now known as Pakistan.

Sometime people in My place cannot distinguish, which Arab, which Pakistani. Me too. My brother have a close friend who tall, has 'Arab face' and Muslim name. I thought he is Arab until my brother told me "No, he's Pakistani".

Salahudeen
03-18-2012, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Yesterday you said, what's in your mind before salah jum'ah was paratha and rice.

So, did you eat paratha and rice after salah jum'ah?
Too right I did lol, I went all out and went to buffet :)

joyous fairy
03-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Oooh like the difference between pancakes and crepes!?

Too right I did lol, I went all out and went to buffet :)
Ahah! That made me laugh.

~Raindrop~
03-19-2012, 01:59 AM
I thought they were the same thing? :unsure:

Anyway, we say 'rooti', not 'roti'. Not sure if its pronounced the same in any other dialect!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-19-2012, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
I thought they were the same thing?
Roti and chappati are both the same, just different languages.. it's just a bread of some kind..there's so many different types of breads out there, some are healthy while others are not, the 'tasty' ones are usually unhealthy, sometimes depending on how it's been cooked..imagine frying chocolate..
Guys you now what, you Should try spreading chocolate on a chappati or bread of your choice and frying it or however and eating it with whatever one prefers..:hiding:

Periwinkle18
03-19-2012, 08:12 PM
roti isnt like bread, bread is different n roti is different chocolate on chapati wouldnt taste good trust me we eat roti with curry like potatoe curry and chicken curry etc

Scimitar
03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Indian roti's are different to Pakistani roti's. Indian ones are really thin. I crave a Pakistani roti now... might have to make a trip to the local kebabish K.O. :D

Scimi

Signor
03-21-2012, 02:22 AM
When you name it chapati,it was meant to be thin not thick.May be you are confusing it with "Naan" which is a lot thicker than chapati.I love Afghani roti,Afghan refugees had finally returned to their homes but i still miss their breads....amazingly tasty

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.