/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gitmo guards often attacked by detainees By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer

Geronimo
07-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Gitmo guards often attacked by detainees By JOHN SOLOMON, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay during the war on terror have attacked their military guards hundreds of times, turning broken toilet parts, utensils, radios and even a bloody lizard tail into makeshift weapons, Pentagon reports say.

Incident reports reviewed by The Associated Press indicate Military Police guards are routinely head-butted, spat upon and doused by "cocktails" of feces, urine, vomit and sperm collected in meal cups by the prisoners.

They've been repeatedly grabbed, punched or assaulted by prisoners who reach through the small "bean holes" used to deliver food and blankets through cell doors, the reports say. Serious assaults requiring medical attention, however, are rare, the reports indicate.

The detainee "reached under the face mask of an IRF (Initial Reaction Force) team member's helmet and scratched his face, attempting to gouge his eyes," states a May 27, 2005, report on an effort to remove a recalcitrant prisoner from his cell.

"The IRF team member received scratches to his face and eye socket area," the report said.

Since its creation in early 2002, the U.S. detention camp on Cuba's coast has been a controversial symbol of the Bush administration's war on terror, bringing allegations of prisoner mistreatment, debates over civil rights and a landmark legal battle to win rights for the detainees.

At one point, more than 600 foreign men captured in the war on terror were kept there. Many have been released to their home countries, reducing the current population to about 450. Ten detainees have been accused of war crimes, but no one has been tried.

The Supreme Court has ruled that the men are entitled to lawyers and access to the courts and that the administration's original plan to give them justice through military tribunals was illegal.

Guards currently stationed at Guantanamo describe a tense atmosphere in which prisoners often orchestrate violence in hopes of unnerving their captors, especially with attacks using bodily fluids.

"I mean, seeing a human being act that way, it's terrifying. ... You are constantly watching before you take your next step to see if something is about to happen," Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer Mack D. Keen told AP in an interview from Guantanamo.

"You see little signs. They kind of show their hand every once in a while. They'll take their Quran and they'll cover it up," he said. "When you see a group of detainees taking their Quran and putting it away, you know something is about to happen."

Moazamm Begg, 38, a prisoner for more than two years at Guantanamo before being released to Great Britain, said he was suspicious of the Pentagon's description of incidents, especially allegations that Muslim men tore their Qurans or used sperm in attacks. The Pentagon continues to publicly question Begg's claim of innocence.

"This just doesn't make sense — especially since for Muslims this would be something that was disgusting, something that just wouldn't be done," he said. He added that some detainees told him they had mixed toothpaste and spit in the cocktails to make it look like semen.

Begg, who has written a book and spoken frequently about his experience, said most incidents he witnessed were spontaneous reactions "when word spread" among prisoners that a guard had done something wrong.

"I rarely saw lone prisoners acting out on their own for no reason except if they had some sort of mental illness or if they were on medication," he said.

Nonetheless, the incident reports released under the Freedom of Information Act and reviewed by AP, provide a rare chronicle of events inside the prison from the guards' perspective.

Entire wings of prisoners were reported to become riotous after complaints emerged that guards mishandled a Quran or mistreated prisoners. On two occasions, however, prisoners themselves were reported to have destroyed their Muslim holy books, the reports state.

"Detainee residing in cell (redacted) block tore his Quran into small pieces," a guard reported in May 2003. A month later, a prisoner "did intentionally destroy his Quran and throw (it) out of his cell," another report stated.

The reports detail more than 440 incidents between guards and prisoners from December 2002 through summer 2005 that resulted in recommendations of discipline, an average of about three per week. The names of guards and prisoners as well as the final discipline were blacked out by the Pentagon.

Often, guards went weeks without reporting problems; other times incidents were bunched together during times of frustration and tension.

For instance, nearly a quarter of the incidents occurred in July 2005, the month dozens of detainees started an extended hunger strike.

Tensions likewise flared during Christmas week 2004, with inmates frequently spitting on guards. On Christmas Eve, a prisoner who was angry that he couldn't finish his meal was said to have used a plastic fork-spoon utensil — called a spork — to attack a guard collecting his tray.

"Detainee stabbed the MP guard ... in the hand with his spork from chow meal," the report said, adding the prisoner later "made a slicing motion across his neck" and vowed to kill the guard.

With many nearing five years in U.S. captivity, the prisoners "have a Ph.D. in being a detainee" and "know our procedures and they try to turn them against us and try to make us question what we are doing," said Army Lt. Col. Michael J. Nicolucci, the prison's executive officer.

"They'll take the smallest things, be it a piece of rust," he said. "They told us they are going to take that piece of rust and they are going for the jugular, they are going for the eye. They know what our vulnerabilities are, anatomically speaking."

Meal plates, shower flip-flops, cleaning brushes and other items deemed harmless in civilian life also are commonly turned into weapons, the reports said. For instance:

_"Detainee in cell (redacted) grabbed the radio from an MP and then threw the radio at the MP. The detainee then threw rocks at the MP," a Dec. 23, 2003, incident report stated.

_A detainee "reached out of his bean hole and attacked MP (name redacted) with a piece of metal foot pad from toilet striking him on the left hip area," a July 15, 2005, report said.

_"Detainee broke off the top of his sink, subsequently broke out the window then began throwing the sink and pieces of pipes at the Block Guard," a March 25, 2005, report said.

One of the most unusual incidents detailed in the four-inch stack of incident reports occurred when a detainee in the prison recreation yard assaulted a guard with a bloody tail torn from a lizard.

The detainee "caught the iguana by the tail at which time the tail detached," the May 2005 report described. When the guard turned to talk to a commanding officer, "he felt something strike him in the lower right back" and then "saw the tail on the ground at his feet and blood was in the same area of his uniform." The detainee said he was "just playing."

Nicolucci said one of the most serious incidents occurred this May, too recent to be recorded in the Pentagon's released reports. A prisoner staged an apparent suicide attempt while his inmates slicked the floors with human waste, seeking to overpower guards when they slipped, he said.

"We provide fans in order to keep them cool," Nicolucci recalled. "And they were using the basket, or the grate of the fan as a shield, the blades as machetes, the pole as a battering ram."

That disturbance was turned back in a few minutes with some guards and prisoners sustaining minor injuries, he said.

The Landmark Legal Foundation, a conservative legal group that fought to force the Pentagon to release the reports under the Freedom of Information Act, said it hopes the information brings balance to the Guantanamo debate.

"Lawyers for the detainees have done a great job painting their clients as innocent victims of U.S. abuse when the fact is that these detainees, as a group, are barbaric and extremely dangerous," Landmark President Mark Levin said. "They are using their terrorist training on the battlefield to abuse our guards and manipulate our Congress and our court system."

Though all detainees are foreigners, many are clearly Americanized when it comes to their insults and gestures. Male guards are frequently derided as "donkeys" while female guards are routinely called "-----es" or harassed by references to their breasts or genitalia, the reports said.

In all, nearly a quarter of incidents involved female guards, the reports show.

"They absolutely target female guards," Nicolucci said. "They have a lot of cultural biases about females, and we let them know in our culture that females do everything males do in a professional job environment, and we just hold firm."

James A. Gondles Jr., executive director of the American Correctional Association that sets standards for U.S. prisons, said much behavior inside Guantanamo mirrors that of civilian prisons though the attacks with bodily fluids seem more numerous.

"It happens from time to time at facilities here, but it seems the majority of ... assaults at Gitmo were either spitting, or bodily fluids being thrown on the guards," said Gondles, who has visited Guantanamo twice at the Pentagon's invitation and reviewed the reports at AP's request.

The bodily fluid attacks are so numerous that guards now frequently wear specialized shields to protect their faces.

The incident reports show waves of orchestrated behavior.

For instance, prisoners repeatedly grabbed their guards' whistles over a five-day period in June 2004. In July 2005, guards reported several instances of rock throwing, spitting and flip-flop hitting. Rocks were hidden under shower mats, the reports said.

The incident reports also are noteworthy for information that is missing. With redacted names, it is impossible to tell whether bad behavior is widespread or the work of a few repeat offenders. Likewise, the documents don't tell whether certain guards are prone to confrontation.

Prisoners' hunger strikes, suicide attempts and threats to injure themselves aren't considered disciplinary matters and thus aren't recorded in the incident reports. Yet the Pentagon acknowledges there have been scores of such incidents.

Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., a prisoner of war during Vietnam, said the treatment of the guards has been overshadowed by the legal and political debates surrounding the detainees, but he has been impressed with the guards' professionalism.

"Our personnel there have perhaps the most difficult task you can have in the military outside of being in a combat zone. ... These are bad guys and some of the most hardened of hardened criminals. And some I think will need to be kept permanently," he said.

McCain said the detainees' behavior and the likelihood of permanent confinement only hastens the need for the administration and Congress to finalize detention and trial policies consistent with the Supreme Court's direction.

While Washington addresses those questions, the guards look to stay one step ahead of the detainees.

"Yes, you do get upset but you get somebody to take your place," Keen said in explaining how he survives the tensions of the cell block. "You go outside. You walk it off and you come back and (say) I want to be back in the fight."

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lavikor201
07-31-2006, 07:02 PM
I really don't expect anything less from members of Al-Queda.

Zulkiflim
08-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Salaam,

Scary isnt it.

They expect muslim to just lie down and take the oppresiona nd cruelty...

And when we fight back they balme us.

And some muslim fall into this trick ,of trying to follow intrnational law that they west make but DO NOT FOLLOW.

They expect us to follow the law but it is ok for them to break it.

Fishman
08-01-2006, 02:19 PM
:sl:
If you were kept in a cage for years, suffering brutal treatment, wouldn't you attack your captors?
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
scentsofjannah
08-01-2006, 03:04 PM
no brother Fishman Geronimo and Lavikor (who thinks most of the Guantanamo prisoners are guilty even though there has been no trial and they havent even stepped in a court of law for what4 years running)) would rather kiss their captors feet.

and whats the point of this thread? to prove the guards aare the 'visctims'..the whole wide world is telling the US to shut the damn place down..either somethings terribly wrong with the whole wide world or Geronimo is the crazed one.

Fishman
08-01-2006, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by scentsofjannah
no brother Fishman Geronimo and Lavikor (who thinks most of the Guantanamo prisoners are guilty even though there has been no trial and they havent even stepped in a court of law for what4 years running)) would rather kiss their captors feet.
What do you mean? If you had been brutally kidnapped and locked in a cage, wouldn't you want to attack your captors?
It is true that this article is trying to make the guards are the victims though. I don't know what kind of sick person would do that.

scentsofjannah
08-01-2006, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
What do you mean? If you had been brutally kidnapped and locked in a cage, wouldn't you want to attack your captors?
It is true that this article is trying to make the guards are the victims though. I don't know what kind of sick person would do that.
yes brother..but according to Geronimo and Lavikor thats a big big crime against humanity!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! :D

Geronimo
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM

and whats the point of this thread? to prove the guards aare the 'visctims'..the whole wide world is telling the US to shut the damn place down..either somethings terribly wrong with the whole wide world or Geronimo is the crazed one.
Naw if I was Crazy then I would have called myself Crazy Horse. Now that man was cool.

Geronimo
08-01-2006, 03:49 PM
yes brother..but according to Geronimo and Lavikor thats a big big crime against humanity!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! :D
Here's the big difference. We take captives, you guys just behead them without hesitation.

aamirsaab
08-01-2006, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
Here's the big difference. We take captives, you guys just behead them without hesitation.
Hezbollah took captives.

format_quote Originally Posted by article
Gitmo guards often attacked by detainees
Boo fricking hoo.

lavikor201
08-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Hezbollah took captives.
That is because Israel has something they want.

If they captured a Japanese journalist, he would certainly be beheaded, because what does Japan have that Hezbollah wants...

aamirsaab
08-01-2006, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
That is because Israel has something they want.
And the innocent dudes in gitmo? Do they have something that the US wants? If they do, their method of information extraction is really crap.

If they captured a Japanese journalist, he would certainly be beheaded, because what does Japan have that Hezbollah wants...
I doubt they would have captured a jap journalist. Or any journalist for that matter.

Muezzin
08-01-2006, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Geronimo
Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Someone like me might get a bit ticked off and decide to warn you. ;)

Seriously, I hate blanket statements.

I also hate it when threads go off-topic. Stay on the topic people. This thread is NOT about Israel and Lebanon.

searchingsoul
08-02-2006, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
If you were kept in a cage for years, suffering brutal treatment, wouldn't you attack your captors?
No. If I were a prisoner I'd try to reform myself.

sameer
08-02-2006, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
No. If I were a prisoner I'd try to reform myself.
are they prisoners as in the sense u put it? compare them to normal prisoners. And reform into what?

searchingsoul
08-02-2006, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sameer
are they prisoners as in the sense u put it? compare them to normal prisoners. And reform into what?
Reform into cooperative prisoners.

sameer
08-02-2006, 06:07 PM
And what would that be?

searchingsoul
08-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by searchingsoul

And what would that be?

Prisoners that weren't beligerent and cooperated with questioning.

sameer
08-02-2006, 06:19 PM
ok...but y are they prisoners again? what criime were they convicted of?

searchingsoul
08-02-2006, 06:31 PM
ok...but y are they prisoners again? what criime were they convicted of?
They haven't been officially charged, which makes me happy.

They are associated with terrorism.

sameer
08-02-2006, 06:46 PM

so if they havent been charge? should they not be innocent til proven guilty?

searchingsoul
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
so if they havent been charge? should they not be innocent til proven guilty?
Not in a war situation. IMO

Keltoi
08-02-2006, 07:05 PM
You are talking about individuals who were either captured on the battlefield or rounded up in anti-terrorism raids around the globe. There have been some people who the U.S. military decided weren't a threat, and these people were released.

MRR
08-02-2006, 07:10 PM
The point of the article seems to counter the claims that detainees are abused. It is not the fault of the gaurds that their country and superiors have assigned them to guard at gitmo. So if you were a guard in a prison and the prisoners threw human waste and urine at you, would you not issue a 'beat down'? I would.

searchingsoul
08-02-2006, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MRR
The point of the article seems to counter the claims that detainees are abused. It is not the fault of the gaurds that their country and superiors have assigned them to guard at gitmo. So if you were a guard in a prison and the prisoners threw human waste and urine at you, would you not issue a 'beat down'? I would.
Of course I would.

MRR
08-02-2006, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
What's the point of your post?

MRR
08-02-2006, 07:33 PM
To get you to think about the circumstance of the prisoners, and why they are as equally as justified in doing what they do (if indeed what has been alleged is true) by your logic:
I agree that the prisoners are frustrated, and behave accordingly.
My point is that the guards are not at fault, they are not the ones that put the detainees there. They are doing a job, guarding.
So when we hear, "detainees abused", why don't we hear "detainees abused for abusing guards"?

Rou
08-02-2006, 07:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
I really don't expect anything less from members of Al-Queda.
Of course you wouldnt...is this truly your view!??

yes they are all alqaeda thats why they do this...

4 years now and how many have been charged with being alqaeda or any terrorist???

how many have been released as innocents after being imprisoned for almost 4 years now??

being tortured and kept like animals no that cant be the reason for there attacks?!??!

it must be beacuse there mindless alqaeda agents...?

ok.....:?

MRR
08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
What came first, the chicken or the egg? :p
The feces throwing chicken.

scentsofjannah
08-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Gerinimo

by 'you' i assume you mean muslims..Allah says in the Qur'an oppression is worse than slaughter..id rather a criminal killed me off straightaway than tortured me, raped me etc for an indefinite amount of time.

מדינת ישׂראל
08-06-2006, 09:37 PM
how many have been released as innocents after being imprisoned for almost 4 years now??
Do you have a number?

Looking4Peace
08-06-2006, 09:41 PM
this thread is irrelevant and should be closed for its stupidity as the threads geronimofo always starts, you been captured, wihtout any proof of being attached to any terrorist groups, you havent even had a trial yet and your just sitting rotting for years, if this was me HELL YEA I WOULD ATTACK LIKE A WILD DOG!!!!! I think anyone would for being jailed without being proved guilty.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Any Muslim can be arrested and put in Guantanamo Bay and the whole world would only remember them as Al Qaida terrorists that got what they deserved and if the detainees some how managed from their little box cages to say how they feel about being locked up for four years without trial they'll get the **** beat out of them.

ManchesterFolk
08-07-2006, 02:49 AM
So USA is just locking up random muslims because they feel like it?

Please...

scentsofjannah
08-08-2006, 12:51 PM

I didnt know we had a Judge on this forum.

scentsofjannah
08-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Apprently the self styled Judge Miss Searching Soul and her fellow Christian Keltoi, and Gerinimo and as well as our fellow Brit Manchester Folk..think its perfectly humane and just to hold people for years without them going through any due process of law..or even standing trial..the prisoners in Guantanamo are begging the authorities to take them to court and this has been denied.

Muezzin
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Your post reads like a justificiation, which is ludicrous.

I'm tired of people cowering from the issue all the time and deflecting it. It's always someone else's fault. In this case, even if the detainees behaved as the article described, it doesn't justify issuing a 'beat down'. This sort of stuff can be dealt with in other ways that does not involve physically beating people. The moment you do that to your prisoner, you're no better than a Viet Cong warden.

As it is, I don't know who struck first. All I know is the situation down there is unaccaptable and needs to be dealt with without more detainees getting physically and psychologically tortured, and without more guards being attacked.

Looking4Peace
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
^^^ of course but if it was them they would have a different opinion

scentsofjannah
08-08-2006, 12:59 PM
no you wouldnt behave like them if thats what they did...and you certainly wouldnt split their skulls in two like what happened to one of the released British captives...he was even called racist names...and he most certainly wasnt swinging big dollops of crap at the guards when that happened.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.