/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Memorizing the Quran

madeenahsh
05-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Asalaam alykum warahmatullahi wabarakhatuh
SubhanALLAH this Article Is very very Solid I needed to Specially share with All of you here For the Sake Of Allah subhanawatallah

I am learning to memorize And SubhanALLAH
This is very very beneficial to all of us

My Brother and Sister Muslim - there is no doubt that you know of excellence of memorizing the Quran and the excellence of teaching it. The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said: "The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur'aan and teaches it."

Presented to you are some rules which will assist in memorizing the Qur'aan, may Allaah benefit us by them.

The First Rule: Ikhlaas - (Sincerity)

The purification of ones intention and correcting ones desire is obligatory. It is likewise for making ones concern with and memorization of the Quran for the sake of Allaah, the Sublime and Exalted, and for gaining success with His Paradise e and obtaining His pleasure.

Also for obtaining those mighty rewards which are reserved for those who recited the Quran and memorized it. Allaah the Exalted said:

So worship Allaah, making the Deen sincerely for Him. Is it not to Allaah that s sincere worship is due? [Zumar 39:2-3]

He also said:

Say: I have been commanded that I worship Allaah making the Deen sincerely for H Him. [Zumar 39:11]

And the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said: "Allaah the Exalted said: I am so self-s sufficient that I am in no need of having an associate. Thus, he who does an action for someone else's sake as well as Mine will have that action renounced by Me to him whom he associated with Me." [Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Therefore, there is no reward for the one who recited the Quran and memorized it to show off and to be heard of. There is also no doubt that the one who recited the Quran desiring by it the world and seeking some sort of worldly reward for i t is sinful.

The Second Rule: Correction of ones Pronunciation and Recitation

The first step in memorizing the Quran after that of Ikhlaas is the obligation o f correcting the pronunciation of the Quran. This does not occur except by listening to a good reciter or a precise memoriser of the Quran. The Quran is not learned except by acquiring it (from another). Thus, the Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) who is the most eloquent of the arabs in speech, took it from Jibreel (as) orally. The Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) himself used to recited the Quran to Jibreel once in every year and in the year that he died he recited it to him twice. [Reported by Bukhaaree]

Likewise, the Messenger taught it to the Companions (ra) orally and those who ca me after them heard it from the Companions and so on for each generation after t hem.

Taking the Quran from a good reciter is obligatory. Likewise, correcting ones re citation firstly and not depending on oneself in its recitation even if one is knowledgeable of the Arabic language and of its principles, is also obligatory. T his is because in the Quran there are many verses which occur in a way that is opposed to what is well known in the rules of the Arabic language.

The Third Rule: Specifying a Daily Limit for Memorisation

It is necessary for the one desiring to memories the Quran that he sets himself a daily limit for memorizing. a number of verses for example, perhaps a page or two pages or even an eighth of a juz (one thirtieth of the Quran). So he begins, after he has corrected his recitation and set his daily limit, to learn by frequent repetition. It is also necessary that this repetition is done melodiously and this is so that a person follows the Sunnah firstly and that it the memorisat ion is made firm and strong secondly. Melodious recitation is pleasing to ones hearing and also assists in memorization. Furthermore, the tongue will always ret urn to a specific tone (of voice) and as a result of this it will become familiar with any mistake whenever the balance in ones recitation and familiar tone becomes disordered or imbalanced. The reciter will know therefore, that his tongue will not comply with him when he makes a mistake and that if the tone is wrong o r out of tune, his memorization will return to him.

All of this is because reciting the Quran and beautifying it with ones voice is a matter which has been commanded. It is not permissible to oppose this command due to the saying of the Messenger (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam): "Whoever does not beautify the Quran ( recite it melodiously) he is not of us." [Bukhaaree]

The Fourth Rule: Not Surpassing One's Daily Limit until You Have Perfected its Memorization.

It is not permissible for the memoriser to move to a new portion of the Quran until after he has perfected the memorization of his previous limit. This is so that whatever he has memorized is firmly established in his mind. There is no doubt that amongst those things which aid the memoriser is his occupation with what he has memorized through the hours of the day and night. This occurs by reciting it in the silent prayers, and if he is the imaam then in the loud prayers. Also in the supererogatory prayers (nawaafil) and in the times when one is waiting for the obligatory prayers. By this method the memorization will become a lot easierr. In this way it is possible for a person to practice it even if he is occupied with other matters and this is because he does not simply sit at a specific time for memorizing the Quran. Thus the night will not arrive except with those verses memorized and firmly established in the mind. And if there is something which has occupied the memorizer during this day, he should not move onto his next portion of the Quran, rather he should continue on the second day with what he h ad started with the day before until the memorization becomes perfected.

The Fifth Rule: Memories Using the Same Copy (Mushaf) of the Quran

Among the things which aid the memorization is that the memorizer should keep fo r himself a specific mushaf (copy of the Quran) which he should never change. This is because a person memorizes using the sight just as he memorizes using the hearing. The script and form of the verses and their places in the mushaf leave an imprint in the mind when they are recited and looked at frequently. If the me memorizer was to change his mushaf from which he memorizes or if he was to memorise from a number of different copies the places of the verses would be in different places and also the script may also be different. This makes the memorization difficult for him. Therefore it is obligatory for the one memorizing the Quran t hat he does so from a single script and mushaf and he should never replace it.

The Sixth Rule: Understanding is the Way to Memorizing

Among the things which greatly aid the process of memorization is understanding the verses that one has memorized and knowing their relationship and link, one t o another. This is why it is necessary for the memorizer to read the tafseer (explanation) of those verses which he desires to memorize and that he knows their connection, one with another. Also, that he brings this to mind when he is reciting. This makes it easier for him to memories the verses. Having said this, it i s also necessary that he does not depend on knowing the meaning of the verses al one in memorizing them. Rather the repetition of these verses should be the foundation. This should be done until the tongue can recite the verses even if the m ind is occupied with other than the meaning of these verses. This is sign that t he verses are firmly established in the mind. As for the one who relies upon the meaning alone then he will forget often and his recitation will be disjointed due to his mind being scattered and occupied with other things. This occurs frequently, especially when the recitation is long.

The Seventh Rule: Do not move on from a Complete Surah until you have connected the first part of it to the last

After one surah from among the surahs of the Quran has been completed it is desirable for the memorizer that he does not move onto another surah except after having perfected its memorization and connecting its first part to its last so that his tongue can flow in reciting it, from its beginning to its end. He should b e able to recite it without having to think or go through trouble in remembering the verses. Rather it is a must that the memorization (and recitation) of these verses is like (flowing) water and that the memorizer recites these verses with out hesitation, even if his mind is occupied with more than one thing, away from m the meaning of these verses. It should be as a person recites Surah Faatihah without any difficulty or having to think about it. This occurs by repeating these verses frequently and reciting them often. However the memorization of every surah of the Quran will not be like that of Surah Faatihah except rarely but the intent and desire should be to try to make it as such. Therefore, it is necessary that when a surah is completed it is firmly established in the mind, with its beginning connected to its end and that the memorizer does not move onto another surah until he has memorized it with precision.

The Eighth Rule: Reciting to Others

It is necessary for the memorizer not to depend on himself for his memorization. Rather he should test his memorization by reciting the verses or surah in quest ion to somebody else, or he should recite them by following the mushaf. And how excellent this would be if a person had with him a precise memorizer (who would test his memorization). This is so that the memorizer becomes aware of the possibility of his being forgetful or confused in his recitation (without knowing it) . Many individuals amongst us who memories a surah make mistakes and a person ma y not realize that until he looks into the mushaf. Furthermore, the one who desires to memories may not realize by himself at which place he makes an error in his recitation despite the fact that he may be reciting from a mushaf. For this reason making others listen to his recitation of what he has memorized from the Quran is a means of perceiving and knowing these errors and being constantly aware of them.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Far7an
09-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Assalamu alaikum

I hope this helps you InshaAllah :)

Quick tips that will help you in memorizing the Qur’an:
By Muhammad AlShareef

1. You absolutely must have a teacher.

Do NOT memorize on your own. You must have a teacher who you respect and whom you fear. Don’t ask ‘how’ to memorize the Qur’an. Ask where you can find the best teacher. The teacher will then guide you on the ‘how’.

2. Distractions.

In memorizing the Qur’an, you must free your mind and environment of distractions. Imagine trying to memorize at a football game? Tough, huh? How about a theme park, could you sit down and control yourself to memorize? Probably not. Getting into a Qur’an Hifdh program with a teacher and discipline will assist you in creating the perfect atmosphere for memorization.

3. Memorize through Audio.

A lot of people think they are memorizing the ‘look’ of the Mushaf, but actually you are memorizing the ‘sound’ of Ayat. When I review, I record my recitation on CD and listen to it again and again. The students that read the loudest in class are all the strongest students. Why? Because they can hear themselves the most?

When I was in Qur’an school, the boy beside me read so loud. I asked the teacher to ask him to read more quietly. He said a most powerful statement that became my motto: “No, you read louder!” I did and it benefited me unbelievably.

4. Location of the Mushaf.

Your eyes follow a specific direction depending on what you are thinking or doing. If you are lying, your eyes go left. If you are remembering something visual, like where you left your keys, your eyes will look upwards.

When you memorize, the direction of memorization is right and left, not downwards. The mistake I see people make is that they put their mushaf low on the ground and then try to memorize. In order to fully harness the power of your mind, you must keep the mushaf at eye level, and not dip your head..

5. Eat brain food.

We’ve all heard the advice of uncles that you have to eat Badams (almonds) to improve memory. Well, I’m here to tell you that the uncles were right! The food you eat, the drinks you drink, directly affect your ability to excel in memorization of the Qur’an.

Do not eat fatty, unhealthy food. Do not drink soda. Eat a nutritious light breakfast, a nutritious light lunch, with almonds for snacks during the day. Subhan Allah, you will find you accomplish much more in your day.

6. Make everyday a victory.

You can move a mountain rock by rock. Enjoy every page you memorize, every Ayah.
I am often asked about my secret to memorizing the Qur’an. They are expecting me to teach them a special ‘south-beach-hifdh-diet’ or something. (I call it tip shopping, they are expecting a specific tip). I say again and again, there is no doubt that there are three ingredients. If you have these three ingredients, you will accomplish what you set out for:

1. Dua, supplication (you must always reflect your desire to Allah).

2. Sabr, patience (it will be a testing path, fill your bags with Sabr powerbars).

3. Taqwa, protecting yourself from sin.

If you do not remember anything from this article except these three ingredients (DST – Dua, Sabr, Taqwa - DST) then, bi idhnillah, it will suffice.

`Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`As (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Prophet (sal Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, "The one who was devoted to the Qur'an will be told on the Day of Resurrection: `Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite.'' [Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

How many ranks will you climb on the Day of Resurrection?
How many ranks would you like to climb?

Sister Sameera
10-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Tips for Memorizing the Qur’an

Allah says in the Holy Qur’an (interpretation of the meaning): “Those who recite the Book of Allah, establish regular prayer, and spend (in charity) out of what We have provided for them, secretly and openly, hope for commerce that will never fail” (Fatir 35:29)

Abdullah ibn Amr ibn Al-As may Allah bless him reported: The Prophet peace be upon him said, "The one who was devoted to the Qur'an will be told on the Day of Resurrection: `Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite.''' [Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].

This Hadith mentions the merit of those who memorize part or all of the Qur'an. Some scholars, in explaining this Hadith, have mentioned that the number of ranks (levels) in Paradise is equal to the number of ayahs in the Qur’an, and that a believer will rise one rank for each ayah that he or she memorizes.

In another Hadith, Othman ibn Affan may Allah bless him reported that the Messenger of Allah peace be upon him said, "The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur'an and teaches it.'' [Al-Bukhari].

In what follows we list a few hints regarding memorizing the Qur’an, some of which were presented to us by the knowledgeable Sh. Osama Abdul-Azeem of Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt.

First, make sure to correct your tawbah (repentance to Allah), as sins do not leave any room for the Words of Allah. The Imam Al-Shafie has a famous verse of poetry in which he complained to his scholar about having difficulty in memorizing. His scholar advised him to abandon sins

Have your intention ready, and bear in mind the reward and virtues of this great deed as mentioned in the Hadiths above. Ask Allah sincerely to assist you in accomplishing this.

Dedicate a specific time each day (or every couple of days) for memorizing. This should be a time when you are not busy with other things.

Use the same copy of the Qur’an each time. This is because your mind takes a ‘snapshot’ of the pages.

Start with the surahs that are easiest to you. Many people recommend beginning with the last five juz’s (the 30th, then the 29th, and so on).

Other surahs to begin with are those that you enjoy reciting most of all, and those that you frequently listen to and thus probably already know part of by heart.

The younger you are, the easier it will be. As you grow older, you get busier and your capacity for memorizing decreases. However, it’s never too late in shaa Allah. If you haven’t memorized a lot during your childhood or teens, you can still catch up.

After completing a couple of ayahs, recite them in the next nafl (voluntary prayer) that you pray. Alternatively, practice them with a friend or your spouse.
Finally, it might be a good idea to work in groups, encouraging one another. If you are trying to get your children to memorize, you might want to create a sense of competition among them and then provide some reward to whoever memorizes best. May Allah guide us to all that pleases Him, Ameen.

http://english.islamway.com/bindex.p...article&id=172

Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-05-2005, 10:10 PM
:sl:

Jazakallah Khair for posting that sister. Brothers and Sister who are more interested please follow this link for more detailed tips Inshallah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=1995

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Vedad
10-12-2005, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonz
asalam

im trying to become hafiz (if allah wills)

i started quran from last juz untill chapter al-bayyinah

i have problem memorizing that chapter

anyone has tips because it has long verses

thanks

salam
wa aleykum assalam

i recently memorised it alhamdulillah, my secret: just listen to it, and after a couple of times then go and read it along. and after that ayah by ayah,r ead it will inshallah work

- Qatada -
10-12-2005, 07:08 PM
yeh i agree with akh vedad. i think the best recitor to listen to - to learn the holy qur'an is sa'ad al ghamdi. you can download his recitation of surah bayyinah from the following link insha Allah:

http://quran.jalisi.com/098bayyinah_01.mp3

or to get other recitations of his - go on the following link insha Allah:

http://quran.jalisi.com/

alhamdulillah they all excellent quality insha Allah. may Allah (swt) help you to learn the holy qur'an off by heart with really good understanding. ameen.

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Vedad
10-12-2005, 07:15 PM
wa aleykum assalam

Ameen! too bad i dont agree with you about saad al-ghamidi
i recommend u to listen to: al-Qari Muhammad Siddeeq Al-Manshaawi , its "Learning" so a kid will recite after him, ayah per ayah almost, if not the ayah is too long... i listened to it, and when to learn u learn it almost immediatly cause u gotthe "rythm" and u memorized words and how they come in the ayah aso wa allahu alem

http://www.qss.org/audio/juzzamma/juzzamma.html

Lina
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM

Methods of Memorization
The author calls attention to the fact that the Holy Qur'an is divided into several divisions which are:

1) the juz or part

2) divisions of the juz into smaller sections like the hizb

3) and the division of the ahzab into fourths.

The author advises the memorization of Qur'an along these divisions. To begin with memorize the smallest section and that is 1/4 of a hizb, then 2 fourths of a hizb (half a hizb), then 3/4 hizb, until a complete hizb is memorized. The entire Qur'an can be memorized in this manner, by the help of Allah.

As for the last juz, JUZ 'AMMA , he says that one fourth contains more than a surah, so in this case it is best to memorize one surah and then another, with the exception of the shorter surahs at the end of the juz , then he suggests memorizing two or three surahs at a time, depending on the person's ability so as not to lose a whole day memorizing a very small surah.

Before actual memorization, it is necessary to choose a proper time, place and mental attitude:-

1. The Preferred Times For Memorization of Quran:

There are many preferable times for memorization: the time of sahr (before salat Al Fajr by a period of time equal to the last fourth of the night) and this is a good and blessed time; and there is the time after Salat Al Fajr until the time of Duha; and there is the time that is between salat Al Dhur and Asr, if you do not want to sleep during this time; and there is the time that is before salat Al Maghrib by an hour and a half, approx.; and there is the time between Maghrib and Isha prayers; and an unlimited time possible to choose from is the time that you see yourself inclined to memorization of the Holy Qur'an and revision of it. In other words, analyze your typical day. If you see that there are certain regular periods where you are more peaceful than other times, or there is less demands upon you at a certain particular time, then choose this time for Qur'an. These are the most beneficial times as some of them are periods of peacefulness and contentment of the heart and restfulness, and some of these time periods are not usually considered busy periods of the day for work or activity.

2. The Preferred Places For Memorization of the Quran:

There is no doubt that the best place for memorization of Qur'an and other acts of worship are the houses of Allah (masjids) and after that places that are clean and far from filth (najaasaat--impurities that break the wudu and are unlawful to make salat in the midst of) and far from work (business) and disturbing sounds--that is, to sit in a clean and peaceful room that doesn't have distractions in it or areas that attract your attention or noises that disturb concentration, or any machines going (especially the T.V.). And if you cannot find such a room, then go to any other place on the condition that it is clean and as previously mentioned above.

3. The Best Mental Attitude (condition) For Memorization of Quran:

Your mental condition must be settled and calm. [Translator's comment: I don't know why I did not finish translating this section. Basically, your mind should be clear and at ease, not caught up in sorting out problems or thinking of what else you have to do. You should be ready to concentrate even if it is for only 15 minutes.]

Methods of Review
[Translator's comment: This was basically the same as methods of memorization from the very beginning. Take it section by section and if you have memorized a large portion of Qur'an or the entire Qur'an, you should review everything at LEAST once a month.

General Advice
This section is a gift from me to you -- advice related to the method of memorization of Qur'an and revision and what that entails.

1- Be free from the 2 hadaths (ceremonial impurities), major and minor when you memorize and revise Qur'an because of the greatness of what you are reading and reciting -- Allah's words -- and make a realization of what Allah said :

Hajj: 32 which translates: "And whosoever honors the Symbols of Allah, then it is truly from the piety of the heart."

2- Try to chose the most appropriate time and proper place to memorize and to revise.

3- Before memorization and revision you must seek refuge in Allah from the Shaitan by saying "A'oudhu billahi AlSamieul Aleem min Ash-Shaitan Ar-Rajeem".

4- Try to feel or sense the greatness of the words of Allah, and their meaning when memorizing and revising because this will cause good memorization.

5- It is good when reading a quarter or memorizing or revising it in a room or other place to read with a moderate voice, not with high volume or extremely low volume, because reading aloud increases the strength of your memorization; except if you are in a masjid, for example -- under that circumstance you must read in a subdued voice (where you can hear yourself) so as not to disturb others involved in worship or in his salat or reading Qur'an.

6- Try to improve your sound with Qur'an, carrying out the words of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him [reported by Muslim] "Embellish the Qur'an by your voices".

7- If you can memorize by yourself do so, and if not, agree with one of your companions (brother or sister in Islam) to memorize a particular juz so as to increase your activity.

8- YOU MUST MEMORIZE QUR'AN FOLLOWING THE RULES OF TAJWEED. [Translator's emphasis]

9- Try not to leave a quarter that you have memorized -- read it in salat as you memorize, and when revising.

10- If you complete the memorization of a new quarter or new surah, do not move on to another one until it is perfectly memorized

:w:

Muhammad
11-10-2005, 10:18 PM

Question :

Assalaamu 'Alaykum, please could you give me some advice on memorsing the Quran such as techniques
Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

Important rules for memorizing the Holy Qur’aan:

1. Sincerity. It is essential to have a pure and sincere intention and a proper aim. One should learn the Qur’aan and pay attention to it for the sake of Allaah and attaining Paradise and earning the pleasure of Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “So worship Allaah (Alone) by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allaah’s sake only. Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allaah only” [al-Zumar 39:2-3]. According to a hadeeth qudsi, Allaah says: “I am so self-sufficient that I am in no need of having an associate. Thus he who does an action for the sake of someone else as well as for My sake will have that action rejected by Me to the one whom he associated with Me.” So there will be no reward for the one who reads and memorizes Qur’aan for the sake of showing off or gaining a good reputation.

2. Correct pronunciation and reading. This can only be learned by listening to someone who reads well or has memorized properly. The Qur’aan can only be learned from a teacher. The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) learnt it orally from Jibreel, and the Sahaabah learned it orally from the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Then it was passed down orally from the Sahaabah to succeeding generations of this Ummah.

3. Deciding the amount to be memorized each time. The one who wants to learn the Qur’aam should decide how much he wants to memorize each time. After he has set out his objective and learned the correct pronunciation, he has to keep on repeating it over and over. This repetition should be with the proper intonation so as to avoid getting bored and so that he can memorize it properly. The intonation makes a person enjoy listening to it, helps him to memorize it and makes the tongue get used to that intonation, so that he will spot mistakes immediately, as the rhythm will be interrupted. This is in addition to the fact that the Messenger

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who does not recite the Qur’aan with a rhythmic intonation.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari).

4. Not going beyond what one has decided to learn in one day until one has memorized it perfectly. The haafiz should never move on to a new portion until he has perfectly memorized the prvious portion , so that it will stick in his mind. One thing that will help the student to memorize it is to preoccupy himself with it night and day, by reciting it in the prayers where Qur’aan is to be recited silently, and if he is leading others in prayer, by reciting it out loud. He can also recite it during his naafil prayers, and whilst waiting for (congregational) prayers. In this way it will become easy for him to memorize Qur’aan. Everyone can do this, even if he is busy with other things.

5. Adhering to one style of writing in the Mus-haf you use for memorizing. One thing that will help in memorizing Qur’aan is to have one's own copy of the Mus-haf (i.e., choosing a specific edition) and never changing it. This is because people learn as much by looking as by listening, so the pattern of the verses and where they appear on the pages of the Mus-haf stays in the mind as one reads and looks at the Mus-haf. So if a person changes the Mus-haf from which he is learning, or he learns from various Masaahif where the relative positions of the aayaat may vary, he will get confused and it will be difficult for him to memorize.

6. Understanding is the key to memorization. One of the things which is of the greatest help in memorizing is understanding the verses one is learning and knowing how they are connected to one another. This means that the haafiz has to read the tafseer of some of the aayahs and soorahs which he is memorizing and he has to focus his mind when he is reading. This will help him to remember the verses. But when he is committing the verses to memory, he should rely on understanding; what he has to do is rely on repetition so that it will be easy for him to memorize them.

7. Not moving on until one has learned a soorah well. After having memorized one soorah, the haafiz should not move on to another soorah until he has memorized the first soorah perfectly from beginning to end and he can recite it fluently without having to think too hard about it. Remembering it should be easy, and he should not move on to another soorah until he is sure that he has memorized the first one.

8. Continually reciting to someone else. The haafiz should not rely upon training by himself; he has to recite what he has memorized to another haafiz, or to someone else who can follow his recitation in the Mus-haf. This other person should be someone who knows how to recite Qur’aan properly, so that he can point out any mistakes or omissions in pronunciation or reading. It often happens that an individual may memorize a soorah incorrectly by himself, and he does not realize this even when he looks at the Mus-haf. So the person who wants to memorize a soorah looks in the Mus-haf and does not see where he is making a mistake in his recitation. So reciting to another person is an excellent means of correcting one’s mistakes.

9. Continually following up. When it comes to memorization, the Qur’aan is different from any other material such as poetry or prose, in that it may be quickly forgotten. The Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, it tries harder to run away than a hobbled camel” (Agreed upon). One only has to leave it for a little while and it escapes one’s mind and is quickly forgotten. So one has to keep reviewing it and always work hard at retaining what one has memorized of the Qur’aan. Concerning this, the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The one who has memorized Qur’aan is like the owner of a hobbled camel. If he pays attention to it and takes care of it, he will keep it, but if he lets it go, he will lose it” (Agreed upon). This means that the one who has memorized the Qur’aan has to recite it regularly as part of his wird [regular dhikr]. At least he should recite one of the thirty juz’ and at most he should recite ten juz’ each day, because the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever reads the whole Qur’aan in less than three days does not understand it” (Agreed upon). By continually reciting it in this fashion he will retain what he has memorized.

10. Paying attention to the parts of the Qur’aan which resemble one another. The parts of the Qur’aan resemble one another in their meanings and wording. Allaah says: (interpretation of the meaning): “Allaah has sent down the Best Statement, a Book (this Qur’aan), its parts resembling each other (in goodness and truth) (and) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it (when they recite it or hear it). Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allaah” [al-Zumar 39:23]. So the good reader of Qur’aan has to pay particular attention to those parts which resemble one another, i.e., the parts where the wording is similar, as this will help him to memorize it properly.

11. Making the most of the best years. The one who is truly blessed is the one whom Allaah enables to make the most of the best years for memorizing, which come approximately between the ages of five and twenty-three. During these years, a person is able to memorize things very well. Before the age of five, he is not able to do that, and after the age of twenty-three his ability to memorize declines whilst his ability to understand increases. So young people of these ages should make the most of it and memorize the Book of Allaah, because they are at the age when they will be able to learn it quickly and will be slow to forget it, unlike when they get older. He spoke the truth who said, “Learning by heart when one is young is like engraving something on stone; learning something when one is old is like engraving something on water.”

It is our duty towards the Book of Allaah that we should memorize it properly, accept and follow its guidance, and make it the constitution of our lives, the light of our hearts, the comfort of our souls. Hopefully these rules will form a good foundation for those who sincerely want to memorize the Book of Allaah properly. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

WHITEMUSK
11-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Assl3moalaykum,
Some good words of wisdom on this topic. I my self would love to have the full quraan in my heart inshallah.... at the moment i am trying to perfect my tajweed inshallah. My 2 brothers have been hafiz of quraa'n for a few years, so they are teaching me. May Allah help them preserve the beautiful words of Allah... and share them with everyone. My younger 2 btothers Are however still studying to become hafiz aswell, they have been in islamic boarding schools where they are doing this and from what they tell me it requires a clean heart with the right intentions aswell as many hours of recitation, hard work and dedication. So inshallah Allah make us all successful as wel as them. Ameen!

Also I just wanted to say thank you for ur articles and words of wisdom.... i have passed the advice on to them so they can learn something new from it inshallah.

So thank you for that, it was really cool of you all!

May Allah reward you all for your efforts.

Brother_Mujahid
11-11-2005, 11:57 PM
1. Dua, supplication (you must always reflect your desire to Allah).

2. Sabr, patience (it will be a testing path, fill your bags with Sabr powerbars).

3. Taqwa, protecting yourself from sin.

If you do not remember anything from this article except these three ingredients (DST – Dua, Sabr, Taqwa - DST) then, bi idhnillah, it will suffice.
this quoute by muhammad shareef is fantastic.

along with that this thread is fantastic, infact this thread should become a sticky. Not any sort of sticky, super sticky.

wasalam

Takumi
12-30-2005, 02:53 PM

I usually see the doughnut and the glass is half full but today, I'm going to highlight some major errors done by people who recorded the recitations of the imam and many readers of al quran.

(1) Qurra (plural of qaari) in the recordings have gone an extensive training to recite Al Quran, may Allah reward them, but they are still human beings. They are not infallible. On the day of judgment, they will defend themselves from the hell fire like us. So, first and foremost for us, it is simply improper to revere them. Our reverence should only be to the prophet Muhammad.

(2) these so called recordings, many of them have been contaminated by unnecessary echoes that defeat the purpose of Al Quran. I find the worst recordings are the recordings during taraweeh. The beauty of Al Quran lies mainly on the adherence of the recitor to the rules of tajweed. Echoes deplete the proper makharij of the letters thus inabling us to listen to the proper sentence. If the echo is unavoidable due to the acoustic nature of the hall, then there's nothing we can do about it, but being quite knowledgable in audio production myself, many of the echoes were added later in post production in the studio. These people should revisit their intention on why these recordings are produced. Al Quran recordings are not to be used as a "background entertainment" while you're doing your work or having an Eid party.

(3) If the sole purpose of Al Quran is to be memorized than the word "tarteel" would not have been used by Allah in the method or reading Al Quran. And the word "ta'allam" would not have been used in the famous hadeeth on teaching and learning Al Quran.Tarteel is the BEST way to read it. Regardless. I cringe when I listen to young huffaaz who try so hard to emulate their favorite recitors but compromising greatly on their tajweed skills. Very often they make sounds longer than they should (even a second longer is really excruciating) especially at the end of an aayaah. This is an error that the people of Al Quran should avoid.

(4) YOu memorize Al Quran not to become an Imam or lead the prayer. I know many huffaaz who are not imam or they lead the prayer sparingly. They don't CRAVE to lead the prayer and show off their memorization.You memorize al Quran so that you know the rules of Allah and it'll be easier for your to safeguard yourselves from your desires and the devil.

(5) al Quran and tajweed go hand in hand. when you tell me that you're memorizing al Quran it means that you're memorizing it with a very strict adherence to the tajweed rules. No compromise there. If not, you are desecrating the speech of Allah. To read al quran with tajweed is fardh 'ain.

Allah knows best.

Nafiisah
04-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Barakallahu feekum for this nice thread. The Prpohet(sallallahu 'alaihi wassallam) said:"keep on reciting the Qur'aan for, by Him in whose hand my life is, Qur'aan runs away(is forgotten) faster than camels are released from tying ropes" Sahi al-Bukhari, narrated by Abu Musa(radhi Allhu 'anh)

umm-sulaim
07-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Sorry for repeating myself if its already been mentioned but, reading at fajr is really good for memorisation, during this time you tend to be clearer minded, and its shafaa3a too (readind at fajr)
Also drinking ginger and eating raisins increases the memory, as we benefited from sheikh muqbil may Allah have mercy upon him.

MahmoodShariff
07-17-2006, 11:00 PM
Assalamualaikum

Dear Bro/Sis interested in memorizing the Quran,

inshaAllaah, this software will help, for memorizing and toning up.

just visit: http://www.imaanstar.com/juz30.php

and download, and install.

"Hadis(not quoted word by word): On the day of judgement a person will be called and will be told to recite the quran, he will go on reciting and his status in Jannah will keep on increasing." ----- subhanAllaah

Pls. pray for me so that I can memorize the Quran too. JK.

wswrwb.

[HFZ]Adil
10-13-2006, 11:56 PM
i think its excellent that more sisters are memorizing the quraan
i myself being a hafiz think there is a need for more hafizas

so i applaud u for what u are doing mashaallah

may reward u and ur family

Al-Hanbali
10-14-2006, 12:10 AM

It is said that having almonds improves your memory, never tried it myself but many people say it really works.

The most pivatol thing in doing hifz is keeping up with revision. :)

Revision is a must. That will ensure that you remember it in the long run inshallah. :)

MahmoodShariff
10-14-2006, 01:58 PM
assalamualaikum

i would like to add that learning tajweed is important, but practicing it is more important

JK

wswrwb

ckerofilm
10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Here's a tip.
If ur familiar with the arabic script, i've heard that writing what u know really helps.

ژاله
11-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Alhamdulillah I'm A Hafiza And I Regard The Time When I Used To Memorize Quran As The Best Period Of My Life.....

Its Quite Fascinating That You Are Memorizing The Word Of Allah

I Have A Tip Which I Would Like To Share With You .read The Sabaq Ten Times Which You Are Supposed To Learn The Next Day It Is Quite Helpful.......one Can Learn Almost 3-4 Rukoos Very Easily

But One Point Even More Important.do Revise The Juz Which You Are Memorizing Daily...... Otherwise You Are Gonna Forgetting It!!!!!!!!!

I Think The Cassetes Of The Imams Of Haramain Especiallly Shuraim Or Someone Else Are Very Helpful While U R Memorizing....besides It Teaches Non Arabians The Perfect Arabian Accent

amirah_87
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by faizi
I Have A Tip Which I Would Like To Share With You .read The Sabaq Ten Times Which You Are Supposed To Learn The Next Day It Is Quite Helpful.......one Can Learn Almost 3-4 Rukoos Very Easily
MashaAllah! :)

What is it you mean by "Sabaq" Sis?

Muhammad
01-02-2007, 12:27 PM

Sabaq is what some people call the part of the Qur'an that a person is memorising. So the sister means that if, for example, you have 5 lines to learn by the next day, then first read these 10 times through, and then learning them will be easier Insha'Allaah.

Masha'Allaah, this is a very nice thread.

Mawaddah
01-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Masha'allah very beneficial thread :)

Yes it's true what the sister has said about reciting those verses to which are to be memorized should be read repeatedly, I always found that this made my memorization easier. Also when we write down what we memorize, it helps it to be ingrained deeper into our minds and harder to forget.

And then of course, after you've finished memorizing the Qur'an, one needs to be extremely diligent in revision because it slips so quickly!

ehmad
01-04-2007, 01:56 AM
As Salam Wa Alikum,

Mashallah Sister, very nice and beneficial post. I would like to quote a few hadiths on this:

On the authority of 'Uthman bin 'Affan (may Allah be pleased with him) who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "The best in reward among you is the one who learnt and memorized the Holy Qur'an and thereafter taught it to other people" [Sahih Al-Bukhari, Hadith no. 4793].

Sufyan Ath-Thauri was asked about the best thing for the Muslim to do; to strive with the sword in the cause of Allah or to read the Holy Qur'an. He said that it is better for the Muslim to read the Holy Qur'an because the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "The best among you is the one who learnt and memorized the Holy Qur'an and thereafter taught it to other people".

Jazakumullahu khair

crazy25000
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Salam Alaykoum,

Inshallah, I want to join a regular Hafiz program online, can anyone direct me to an effective one please?

- Qatada -
02-26-2007, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crazy25000
Salam Alaykoum,

Inshallah, I want to join a regular Hafiz program online, can anyone direct me to an effective one please?

:wasalamex

This one costs abit i think, not sure:

http://www.qbitbybit.com/

:salamext:

crazy25000
02-26-2007, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:wasalamex

This one costs abit i think, not sure:

http://www.qbitbybit.com/

Have you tried this one or do your of anyone who has tried and said it was effective? Because I dont want to keep spending money with not results....Arabic is not my first language so I need a lot of help...

- Qatada -
02-26-2007, 10:34 PM

Never tried it bro :) i've just seen the site.. sorry.

vpb
06-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Memorizing the Qur'an

From Abdur-Rahman Abdul Khaaliq's "Al-Qawaaid adh-Dhahabiyyah lil-Hifdh il-Quran il-Adheem"

English Translation by
Amjad ibn Muhammad Rafiq
University of Essex Islamic Society

Bismillaahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem

My Brother and Sister Muslim - there is no doubt that you know of excellence of memorising the Quran and the excellence of teaching it.

The Messenger of Allaah (sas) said: "The best amongst you is the one who learns the Qur'aan and teaches it." [Reported by Bukhaaree]

Presented to you are some rules which will assist in memorising the Qur'aan, may Allaah benefit us by them.

Ikhlaas - (Sincerity)

The purification of ones intention and correcting ones desire is obligatory. It is likewise for making ones concern with and memorisation of the Quran for the sake of Allaah, the Sublime and Exalted, and for gaining success with His Paradise and obtaining His pleasure. Also for obtaining those mighty rewards which are reserved for those who recited the Quran and memorised it. Allaah the Exalted said:

• So worship Allaah, making the Deen sincerely for Him. Is it not to Allaah that sincere worship is due? [Zumar 39:2-3]

He also said:
  • Say: I have been commanded that I worship Allaah making the Deen sincerely for Him. [Zumar 39:11]

And the Messenger of Allaah (sas) said: "Allaah the Exalted said: I am so self-sufficient that I am in no need of having an associate. Thus, he who does an action for someone elses sake as well as Mine will have that action renounced by Me to him whom he associated with Me." [Bukhaaree and Muslim]

Therefore, there is no reward for the one who recited the Quran and memorised it to show off and to be heard of. There is also no doubt that the one who recited the Quran desiring by it the world and seeking some

sort of worldy reward for it is sinful.

Correction of ones Pronunciation and Recitation

The first step in memorising the Quran after that of Ikhlaas is the obligation of correcting the pronunciation of the Quran. This does not occur except by listening to a good reciter or a precise memoriser of the Quran. The Quran is not learned except by acquiring it (from another). Thus, the Messenger (sas) who is the most eloquent of the arabs in speech, took it from Jibreel (as) orally. The Messenger (sas) himself used to recited the Quran to Jibreel once in every year and in the year that he died he recited it to him twice. [Reported by Bukhaaree]

Likewise, the Messenger taught it to the Companions (ra) orally and those who came after them heard it from the Companions and so on for each generation after them.

Taking the Quran from a good reciter is obligatory. Likewise, correcting ones recitation firstly and not depending on oneself in its recitation even if one is knowledgeable of the Arabic language and of its principles, is also obligatory. This is because in the Quran there are many verses which occur in a way that is opposed to what is well known in the rules of the Arabic language.

Specifying a Daily Limit for Memorisation

It is necessary for the one desiring to memorise the Quran that he sets himself a daily limit for memorising. a number of verses for example, perhaps a page or two pages or even an eighth of a juz (one thirtieth of the Quran). So he begins, after he has corrected his recitation and set his daily limit, to learn by frequent repetition. It is also necessary that this repetition is done melodiously and this is so that a person follows the Sunnah firstly and that it the memorisation is made firm and strong secondly. Melodious recitation is pleasing to ones hearing and also assists in memorisation. Furthermore, the tongue will always return to a specific tone (of voice) and as a result of this it will become familiar with any mistake whenever the balance in ones recitation and familiar tone becomes disordered or imbalanced. The reciter will know therefore, that his tongue will not comply with him when he makes a mistake and that if the tone is wrong or out of tune, his memorisation will return to him.

All of this is because reciting the Quran and beautifying it with ones voice is a mastronger which has been commanded. It is not permissible to oppose this command due to the saying of the Messenger (sas): "Whoever does not beautify the Quran (recite it melodiously) he is not of us." [Bukhaaree]

Not Surpassing One's Daily Limit until You Have Perfected its Memorisation.

It is not permissible for the memoriser to move to a new portion of the Quran until after he has perfected the memorisation of his previous limit. This is so that whatever he has memorised is firmly established in his mind. There is no doubt that amongst those things which aid the memoriser is his occupation with what he has memorised through the hours of the day and night. This occurs by reciting it in the silent prayers, and if he is the imaam then in the loud prayers. Also in the superogatory prayers (nawaafil) and in the times when one is waiting for the obligatory prayers. By this method the memorisation will become a lot easier. In this way it is possible for a person to practise it even if he is occupied with other mastrongers and this is because he does not simply sit at a specific time for memorising the Quran. Thus the night will not arrive except with those verses memorised and firmly established in the mind. And if there is something which has occuppied the memoriser during this day, he should not move onto his next portion of the Quran, rather he should continue on the second day with what he had started with the day before until the memorisation becomes perfected.

Memorise Using the Same Copy (Mushaf) of the Quran

Among the things which aid the memorisation is that the memoriser should keep for himself a specific mushaf (copy of the Quran) which he should never change. This is because a person memorises using the sight just as he memorises using the hearing. The script and form of the verses and their places in the mushaf leave an imprint in the mind when they are recited and looked at frequently. If the memoriser was to change his mushaf from which he memorises or if he was to memorise from a number of different copies the places of the verses would be in different places and also the script may also be different. This makes the memorisation difficult for him. Therefore it is obligatory for the one memorisng the Quran that he does so from a single script and mushaf and he should never replace it.

Understanding is the Way to Memorising

Among the things which greatly aid the process of memorisation is understanding the verses that one has memorised and knowing their relationship and link, one to another. This is why it is necessary for the memoriser to read the tafseer (explanation) of those verses which he desires to memorise and that he knows their connection, one with another. Also, that he brings this to mind when he is reciting. This makes it easier for him to memorise the verses. Having said this, it is also necessary that he does not depend on knowing the meaning of the verses alone in memorising them. Rather the repetition of these verses should be the foundation. This should be done until the tongue can recite the verses even if the mind is occupied with other than the meaning of these verses. This is sign that the verses are firmly established in the mind. As for the one who relies upon the meaning alone then he will forget often and his recitation will be disjointed due to his mind being scastrongered and occupied with other things. This occurs frequently, especially when the recitation is long.

Do not move on from a Complete Surah until you have connected the first part of it to the last

After one surah from among the surahs of the Quran has been completed it is desirable for the memoriser that he does not move onto another surah except after having perfected its memorisation and connecting its first part to its last so that his tongue can flow in reciting it, from its beginning to its end. He should be able to recite it without having to think or go through trouble in remembering the verses. Rather it is a must that the memorisation (and recitation) of these verses is like (flowing) water and that the memoriser recites these verses with out hesitation, even if his mind is occupied with more than one thing, away from the meaning of these verses. It should be as a person recites Surah Faatihah without any difficulty or having to think about it. This occurs by repeating thes e verses frequently and reciting them often. However the memorisation of every surah of the Quran will not be like that of Surah Faatihah except rarely but the intent and desire should be to try to make it as such. Therefore, it is necessary that when a surah is completed it is firmly established in the mind, with its beginning connected to its end and that the memoriser does not move onto another surah until he has memorised it with precision.

Reciting to Others

It is necessary for the memoriser not to depend on himself for his memorisation. Rather he should test his memorisation by reciting the verses or surah in question to somebody else, or he should recite them by following the mushaf. And how excellent this would be if a person had with him a precise memoriser (who would test his memorisation). This is so that the memoriser becomes aware of the possibility of his being forgetful or confused in his recitation (without knowing it). Many individuals amongst us who memorise a surah make mistakes and a person may not realise that until he looks into the mushaf. Furhtermore, the one who desires to memorise may not realise by himself at which place he makes an error in his recitation despite the fact that he may be reciting from a mushaf. For this reason making others listen to his recitation of what he has memorised from the Quran is a means of perceiving and knowing these errors and being constantly aware of them.

Constantly Returning to what one has Memorised

The Quran is different from any other material that is memorised such as poetry and prose. And this is because the Quran is quickly lost from ones mind. In fact the Messenger of Allaah (sas) said: "By Him in whose Hand is my soul, it is faster in escaping than a tied camel." Reported by Bukhaaree and Muslim.

No sooner does the memoriser of the Quran leave it for a while until the Quran slips away from him and so he forgets it quickly. This is why it is necessary to constantly follow up what one has memorised and to be vigilant over it. Regarding this we have the saying of the Messenger (sas):

• "Verily, the example of the owner of the Quran is like the example of the owner of the tied camel. If he keeps it tied (commits himself to it) he will hold it back and if he lets it loose it will escape from him."

And he also said:
  • "Commit yourselves to the Quran, for by Him in Whose Hand is my soul, it is faster in slipping away than a tied camel." [Reported by Bukhaaree and Muslim]
This means that it is obligatory upon the memoriser of the Quran to continuously recite what he has memorised from the Quran. With this constant astrongention and returning to what has been memorised will the Quran remain in his mind and without it, it will escape.

Being Aware of the Resembling Parts of the Quran

The various parts of the Quran resemble each other with respect to the meaning, wording and (repetition of) verses. The Exalted said:
  • Allaah has sent down the most beautiful of speech, a Book, (parts of it) resembling (others) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it. Then their skins and their hearts soften to the remembrance of Allaah [Zumar 39:23].

The Quran has approximately six and a half-thousand verses. And there are approximately a thousand verses in which there is a resemblance of some sort. Sometimes there is agreement or difference due to a single lestronger or a word or two or more. For this reason it is necessary for the good reciter of the Quran that he has special concern for the parts of the Quran that resemble each other in terms of their wording. The excellence of ones memorisation will be according to the extent that one has concern for these resembling parts. One of the ways to aid oneself in this mastronger is to study those books which deal with this topic of resembling verses in the Quran. Among the most famous of them are:
1. Durratul-Tanzeel wa Ghurratut-Ta'weel fee Bayaan il Aayaat al-Mutashaabihaat fee Kitaab il-Laahi il-Azeez by al-Khateeb al-Iskaafee 2. Asraar ut-Tukraar fil-Quran by Mahmood bin Hamzah ibn Nasr al-Kirmaanee.
Taking Advantage of the Golden Years of Memorising

The succesful one, inevitably, is the one who takes advantage of the best years of memorisation and these are from the age of five to twenty-three approximately. A person's ability to memorise during these years is very good. In fact these are the golden years of memorising. Therefore, it is necessary for a person to keep himself occupied during the these years of his life, memorising the Book of Allaah as much as he can. Commiting things to memory at this age can be done very quickly and forgestronging is not so easy. This is in opposition to what happens after this time when a person memorises with difficulty and forgets with great speed. He spoke the truth who said:

• Memorising in youth is like engraving on stone And memorising when old is like engraving on water
Thus, it is necessary for all of us to take advantage of the golden years of memorising. If we cannot then we should encourage our sons and daughters to do so.

And with Allaah is success and prayers and peace be upon our Messenger Muhammad, upon his family and all his Companions.

Source

BlackMamba
09-08-2007, 02:55 AM
A way that is kind of working for me is finding a friend in your class that is better than you in memorizing the quran and then get motivated by him. Try to memorize as much as him everyday.
Also memorize your previous lesson before you start memorizing your new lesson. This helps a lot because a lot of times you forget your lesson from the previous day. I wish I had done this more when I started hifz. But the main thing is dedication and effort. The more you put in to it the more you get out of it.
In the end its all up to Allah InshaAllah you will become Hafiz pray that I do aswell.

kwolney01
09-09-2007, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
Sorry for repeating myself if its already been mentioned but, reading at fajr is really good for memorisation, during this time you tend to be clearer minded, and its shafaa3a too (readind at fajr)
Also drinking ginger and eating raisins increases the memory, as we benefited from sheikh muqbil may Allah have mercy upon him.
Great post and really good advice.. thank you so much

Soulja Girl
09-09-2007, 04:43 PM

I'm finkin of startin Hifz this Ramadhan :inshallah , make dua its easy for me...Erm, how many sides do you fink I should learn per day?

niler
09-23-2007, 11:14 PM
thank you all for your time to educate fellowmuslims..

bigboss22
09-27-2007, 08:09 PM
being almost a haafiz myself what i can say is that there are 3 essential things you need to know about memorising te quran. 1 taking a new days lesson 2. reciting the lesson of the days up to a week earlier 3rd to keep going over the juz that you have already memorized.
also you should be trying to increase the amount you learn almost continuouslly throughot hifz for example i started by learning 4 lines daily, after 2 1/2 yeas i can learn one quatar of a juz per day. by learning increasing your sabaq you find that things appear to be moving alot faster than before. the main milestone is being able to read a page and a 1/2 after memorising 3 juz of the quran, if you can do this then inshallah you are on your way to completing the quran

BlackMamba
09-27-2007, 10:38 PM
bigboss, mashallah ur alost Hafiz. how much do u know so far? And 1 quarter a day for lesson! Wow ur cruising I can barely do 1 quarter for Manzil (dor/reveiw). And i'll do like at most 2 pages lesson mostly just 1 and half.
And just out of curiosity, r u memorizing in a boarding school or what? Cuz I'm doing it in America and not in a boarding school I just go to a hifz class in my Masjid for 2 hours a day.

bigboss22
09-28-2007, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shakoor15
bigboss, mashallah ur alost Hafiz. how much do u know so far? And 1 quarter a day for lesson! Wow ur cruising I can barely do 1 quarter for Manzil (dor/reveiw). And i'll do like at most 2 pages lesson mostly just 1 and half.
And just out of curiosity, r u memorizing in a boarding school or what? Cuz I'm doing it in America and not in a boarding school I just go to a hifz class in my Masjid for 2 hours a day.
thank you for your support, ive currently finished 28 juz, inshallah i will be finished by the 27th of ramadan.
if you can do 2 pages a day then it is very good, for the majority of my hifz i took two pages as well its only upon reaching the last 10 that i started to really increase my pace and even now its very difficult. i . im not learning in a boarding school, i go to mosque for 2 and a half hours daily - the same as you. :D
if you can, try to learn your new lesson one day before you actually read it to your teacher in mosque. by doing this it becomes almost like revision.
most people are too lazy and choose to learn it just before they have to read.:heated:
self disipline is one of the fundamental lessons that hifz teaches you, more often its not the cleverest, but the most devoted that excel in hifz.:thumbs_up

BlackMamba
09-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Mashallah thats really good that ur finishing this Ramadan. Inshaallah I can finish before next Ramadan, I currently have 8 juz left until I finish. But somehow in the last 5 months my lesson has decreased because of school and i need to pull it back together again. Inshaallah after Ramadan i can start back strong And are you planning on reading Taraweeh this year or sometime in the future because I did a couple days in my Masjid last year when I knew like 15 juz. this year i justed wanted to take it easy. The Masjid i go to gives opportunities to the students to lead taraweeh even tho we have 2-3 huffaz. Is your masjid the same?

Kas1m
10-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Mashallah. I read the thread and every post is benefits us. I am a hafiz myself and i have memorized the Glorious Quran under every environment. I read it in home, in the mosque, i read it full day from morning to night under teacher, two hours a day, half a day. I read it when the teacher used to beat me with sticks, i read it under vip treatment where the teacher is told to take special care of me. Ive read in pakistan and uk too where i live now.
I want to share some tips of my experience of memorizing. I will tell you the standard way of memorizing Quran.
First you get rid of the impurities and sins. Im sure you have read the posts about this. The one thing i want to say is please stop listening to songs. English or any kind of songs or music. It slows the whole process right down to turtle speed. To put it to the rabbit speed, you have to do Zikr in your free time. Now i will leave on to you to find out what Zikr is.

1. Sabaq: Sabaq is what you learn new. Like if your memorizing 5 lines a day. The next 5 fresh lines for your next day is called your sabaq.

2. Sabaqi: when your sabaq builds up. Like 5 then 5 then 5 that 15 lines. Those 15 lines is called your sabaqi. Now your 15 lines into the juzz. You have to repeat your sabaqi every day when you memorize your sabaq. For example youve memorized half a juzz. You sabaq will be the next 5 lines and your sabaqi would be the half juzz.

3. Manzil: when you complete a juzz and move on to a new juzz. That memorized juzz will be called your manzil. For example when you complete 15 juzz and move on to the 16th. Those 15 juzz is your manzil. Now everytime you do your sabaq then sabaqi. You have to repeat your manzil. Now its upto you how much you repeat your manzil. Half a juzz or a whole but keep repeating it every day.

Now when you learn a new sabaq. Memorize it and repeat your sabaqi from the start of the juzz. After that you repeat your manzil.
As you memorize like 20 juzz. 19 juzz will be your manzil so i suggest you should repeat one juzz a day to keep it up. And this sabaq and sabaqi technique is very good. It makes your manzil solid, mistake proof.

HOW TO LEARN YOUR SABAQ: This is the important part because your sabaqi depends on your sabaq. If your sabaq is strong then your sabaqi will be strong and if your sabaqi is strong your manzil will be strong. Now you see how these three steps relate into each other.
So why not focus in the basic: learning your sabaq.
Suppose your memorizing 10 lines. Read them first loud with finger tip on the line, moving as you read it. Try to focus on the page and the lines and read with full focus and concentration. This will help inshallah. Divide it into two lines or learn those 10 lines like you memorize it normally. Now close the Quran with your finger in (so you dont lose the page) and repeat those lines. If you have repeated it without mistake, good. Repeat it 10 times and keep repeating it. If you make a mistake or you think your reading wrong then open the Quran and look at the word. Then close it and repeat from the start.
Im trying to say that even if you made a mistake at the second last word of the 10 line. Open it, look at it, close it and repeat from the start. Read it mistake proof 10 times or more then go and repeat it to your teacher.

Inshallah this will help you memorize the Quran but REMEMBER ONE THING: it is easy to learn but it is hard to keep it remember. After you complete memorizing, read at least one juzz every day to keep you up and keep it remembering.
A good thing is to read your Quran in Tahujjad just before fajr. Read as much as you like in that prayer because that connects your heart with Allah very quickly.

I hope this helps you. May Allah be with you on every step and every word you read and memorize this beautiful, glorious Quran. It is the only hope for this descending mankind. Its time people open up this book and get faiz and blessings from it. May Allah protect you all.
If you have any other Questions just inbox me and i will try to answer with my best try and low knowledge.

Best luck and good luck,
From,
kasim.
walaikumusalam.

islam
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
mashallah may Allah reward you for your efforts

Noor 13
11-28-2007, 07:04 PM
JazakAllah khair for all these great tips
For me as non-arab it is sometimes quite hard but inshAllah I will get better every day
I just keep it really realistic and usually don't even do more than a few ayahs a day
What helps too is to start after Fajr with memorizing
then before each Salah revise what you memorized and repeat the ayahs you have learned in your prayer so you have for sure a certain amount of repetition alone with the prayer

vpb
12-05-2007, 11:22 AM
then before each Salah revise what you memorized and repeat the ayahs you have learned in your prayer so you have for sure a certain amount of repetition alone with the prayer
that's what tahajjud (night prayer) is for :D

munssif
02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
jazakALLAH for all Brothers and Sisters posted here valuable tips tp memorize Quran.
Really those motivated me to do it again, cz i cdnt memorize for a last few months..
Insha ALLAH frm tday i wil do.

Assalamu Alaikum

Snowflake
05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

I've started memorizing the Quran 2 days ago. Please make sincere duaa that Allah swt makes it easy for me inshaAllah.

Also is it possible to finish in one year and is there a particular order of which Surah to memorize first? I've heard that the Surahs in the last Juz should be memorised first or doesn't it matter?

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

arabianprincess
05-23-2008, 02:38 AM
welll... i do wanna memorize the whole quran but my only fear is that the punishment of forgetting it.. now in the past i memorized around like 4 chapters but i have to say i forgot em .. ,,,, i have to be honest i kinda teed to get busy with life.. so is there a punishment for forgettin ir.. well thats wat i heard.. salamz

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-23-2008, 03:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
asalam alaikum wr wb,

I've started memorizing the Quran 2 days ago. Please make sincere duaa that Allah swt makes it easy for me inshaAllah.

Also is it possible to finish in one year and is there a particular order of which Surah to memorize first? I've heard that the Surahs in the last Juz should be memorised first or doesn't it matter?

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

First of all, Masha'Allaah this is excellent news that another person in this nation is setting out to memorize the Qur'an. May Allaah make it easy for you and all of us others as well who are on this path and make us of the People of the Qur'aan.

To answer your questions Sister, it really depends on the individual and how much time, effort, and sincerity he/she has and is willing to put in. Memorizing the Qur'an is not hard in the least, in fact it is very easy, but one cannot get the Qur'an if he/she is unwilling to make the sacrifices for it. You need to give it alot of your time. When you first start to memorize, be prepared for trials, because they will definitely come, and they will be the hardest in the beginning because Shaytan wants to dissuade you from memorizing and spending time with the Book of Allaah. It is crucial that at this stage you do not give up and remain patient and persevere. By the mercy of Allaah, when one crosses this initial stage of memorizing, what comes after becomes easy Insha'Allaah. And please do not forget the most crucial aspect to achieving success in this affair or in any other: Dua'. Do not underestimate the power of Dua', it is your aid in memorizing and remembering what you've memorized. Secondly, staying away from sins. They bring the greatest harm to ones Hifdh and leaving them brings great benefit.

There are people who have memorized the Qur'an in 50 days, others in a few months, and others in a couple of years. The time it takes you to memorize is irrelevant but it is more than possible to do in a year; what you should focus on is making whatever you're memorizing as strong as you possibly can because the first memorization if done correctly eases the revision that follows and remains the strongest in memory.

As for where to start, then again this depends on the individual. If you're starting out for the first time, then I would suggest (this is what worked for some people that I know) is to memorize the 30th Juz first (memorize backwards, from Surah an-Nas to an-Naba) and then go to Juz 1 and work through the Qur'an. I find this has benefit because since the surahs in the 30th Juz are short, your mind gets accustomed to memorizing more and more each day so when you get to Surah al-Baqarah you're mind is already in a state to memorize and you won't be disheartened by the longer verses. Just make sure that you don't wander all over the place, i.e. memorize a surah in 24th juz, then go to the 9th juz, and then go to 14th juz etc. Work systematically :)

format_quote Originally Posted by arabianprincess
welll... i do wanna memorize the whole quran but my only fear is that the punishment of forgetting it.. now in the past i memorized around like 4 chapters but i have to say i forgot em .. ,,,, i have to be honest i kinda teed to get busy with life.. so is there a punishment for forgettin ir.. well thats wat i heard.. salamz

Then get to memorizing :) Everyone that sets out to do Hifdh has the same fear as you, but they don't let the fear get in the way of the reward. 10 hasanat per letter of the Qur'an that is recited, and a memorizer of the Qur'an recites the Qur'an so much, who can give the value of the reward except Allaah?

Don't let these excuses get in the way, because if you honestly want to memorize, you'll find a way to do it. Ive heard of a brother who memorized the Qur'an in the bathroom because his parents would not allow him to, and he completely memorized it. If anyone had an excuse he did. Excuses come from Shaytan Sister, don't let them control you.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-23-2008, 03:47 AM

This is very beneficial. JazakAllah Khair for sharing. Please make du'a brothers siters for me too! InshaAllah I really intend on starting to memorize the Qur'an. I'll be honest I never finished when I was little and so my reading got a little slow as I got older. Cause I remember I was good at reading. Anyways I've been working on that and Alhamdulillah its better now. Sooooooooooooooo InshaAllah I'm gunna start, especially since the semester is over and I have more time. Please make du'a that I keep this going and not get lazy, InshaAllah.
I think that tip is good brother, to start backwards. Start from small Surahs. InshaAllah that's what I will do.

Snowflake
05-23-2008, 06:31 PM
asalam alaikum wr wb,

If you're starting out for the first time, then I would suggest (this is what worked for some people that I know) is to memorize the 30th Juz first (memorize backwards, from Surah an-Nas to an-Naba) and then go to Juz 1 and work through the Qur'an. I find this has benefit because since the surahs in the 30th Juz are short, your mind gets accustomed to memorizing more and more each day so when you get to Surah al-Baqarah you're mind is already in a state to memorize and you won't be disheartened by the longer verses.
JazakAllah khair bro Abu Sayyad for making duaa for me. I found your entire post extremely helpful and will be following the tips above. May Allah reward you the best of everything from His treasures in this world and the next. Ameen.

I'd like to add that in the first time in years, I have truly felt my depression easing and it's all due to reciting the Quran daily with translations. In fact it's the only time I'm at peace and I've become addicted to it. I cannot thank Allah enough to have given us this beautiful miracle in which there is healing and blessings for us.

I pray Allah makes memorisation of the Quran easy for you Jazzy sis and for all those who desire it and rewards each person who has helped by sharing tips with us. And may Allah give us enough of a lifetime to fulfil our desire. Ameen.

wa alaikum asalam wr wb.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
MashaAllah its so true sis. It makes me all emotional when I think about it :cry: Allah Ta'ala really has given us the opportunity and InshaAllah I hope many others understand this beauty. Ameen to all the du'as, InshaAllah.

malayloveislam
08-02-2008, 09:27 AM

I am so happy when reading brothers and sisters experiences in memorizing Quran and also the tips are useful. I started memorizing Quran in 2006 during my pilgrimage in holy city Mecca but I made a mistake. I started with Surah Maryam and not from Muqaddam or Juz-Amma, it just sparked in my mind during I sat alone in Masjidilharam after talking to a Hafiz who asked me whether I memorized any surah from Quran or not. I feel remorsed that I had take for granted the chance of memorizing Quran that I had in Islamic school last time, we had the class in school but we followed the whisper of Shaythan by playing around :enough!: Alhamdulillah I memorized the whole Surah Maryam and now proceeding with Surah Tha-Ha. I feel that I must proceed with what I have done and finish it before correcting my mistake. Now, I almost finish memorizing Surah Tha-Ha and it is about two pages more.

Hope brothers and sisters pray for me. I encourage respective brothers and sisters to start memorizing verses in Syaaban. It is the gate of Ramadhan.

------
09-01-2008, 01:19 PM

How to memorize the Holy Qur’aan
Question:
Assalaamu 'Alaykum, please could you give me some advice on memorsing the Quran such as techniques

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Important rules for memorizing the Holy Qur’aan.

1-Sincerity. It is essential to have a pure and sincere intention and a proper aim. One should learn the Qur’aan and pay attention to it for the sake of Allaah and attaining Paradise and earning the pleasure of Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “So worship Allaah (Alone) by doing religious deeds sincerely for Allaah’s sake only. Surely, the religion (i.e. the worship and the obedience) is for Allaah only” [al-Zumar 39:2-3]. According to a hadeeth qudsi, Allaah says: “I am so self-sufficient that I am in no need of having an associate. Thus he who does an action for the sake of someone else as well as for My sake will have that action rejected by Me to the one whom he associated with Me.” So there will be no reward for the one who reads and memorizes Qur’aan for the sake of showing off or gaining a good reputation.

2-Correct pronunciation and reading. This can only be learned by listening to someone who reads well or has memorized properly. The Qur’aan can only be learned from a teacher. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) learnt it orally from Jibreel, and the Sahaabah learned it orally from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Then it was passed down orally from the Sahaabah to succeeding generations of this Ummah.

3-Deciding the amount to be memorized each time. The one who wants to learn the Qur’aam should decide how much he wants to memorize each time. After he has set out his objective and learned the correct pronunciation, he has to keep on repeating it over and over. This repetition should be with the proper intonation so as to avoid getting bored and so that he can memorize it properly. The intonation makes a person enjoy listening to it, helps him to memorize it and makes the tongue get used to that intonation, so that he will spot mistakes immediately, as the rhythm will be interrupted. This is in addition to the fact that the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “He is not one of us who does not recite the Qur’aan with a rhythmic intonation.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari).

4-Not going beyond what one has decided to learn in one day until one has memorized it perfectly. The haafiz should never move on to a new portion until he has perfectly memorized the prvious portion , so that it will stick in his mind. One thing that will help the student to memorize it is to preoccupy himself with it night and day, by reciting it in the prayers where Qur’aan is to be recited silently, and if he is leading others in prayer, by reciting it out loud. He can also recite it during his naafil prayers, and whilst waiting for (congregational) prayers. In this way it will become easy for him to memorize Qur’aan. Everyone can do this, even if he is busy with other things.

5-Adhering to one style of writing in the Mus-haf you use for memorizing. One thing that will help in memorizing Qur’aan is to have one's own copy of the Mus-haf (i.e., choosing a specific edition) and never changing it. This is because people learn as much by looking as by listening, so the pattern of the verses and where they appear on the pages of the Mus-haf stays in the mind as one reads and looks at the Mus-haf. So if a person changes the Mus-haf from which he is learning, or he learns from various Masaahif where the relative positions of the aayaat may vary, he will get confused and it will be difficult for him to memorize.

6-Understanding is the key to memorization. One of the things which is of the greatest help in memorizing is understanding the verses one is learning and knowing how they are connected to one another. This means that the haafiz has to read the tafseer of some of the aayahs and soorahs which he is memorizing and he has to focus his mind when he is reading. This will help him to remember the verses. But when he is committing the verses to memory, he should rely on understanding; what he has to do is rely on repetition so that it will be easy for him to memorize them.

7-Not moving on until one has learned a soorah well. After having memorized one soorah, the haafiz should not move on to another soorah until he has memorized the first soorah perfectly from beginning to end and he can recite it fluently without having to think too hard about it. Remembering it should be easy, and he should not move on to another soorah until he is sure that he has memorized the first one.

8-Continually reciting to someone else. The haafiz should not rely upon training by himself; he has to recite what he has memorized to another haafiz, or to someone else who can follow his recitation in the Mus-haf. This other person should be someone who knows how to recite Qur’aan properly, so that he can point out any mistakes or omissions in pronunciation or reading. It often happens that an individual may memorize a soorah incorrectly by himself, and he does not realize this even when he looks at the Mus-haf. So the person who wants to memorize a soorah looks in the Mus-haf and does not see where he is making a mistake in his recitation. So reciting to another person is an excellent means of correcting one’s mistakes.

9-Continually following up. When it comes to memorization, the Qur’aan is different from any other material such as poetry or prose, in that it may be quickly forgotten. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, it tries harder to run away than a hobbled camel” (Agreed upon). One only has to leave it for a little while and it escapes one’s mind and is quickly forgotten. So one has to keep reviewing it and always work hard at retaining what one has memorized of the Qur’aan. Concerning this, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The one who has memorized Qur’aan is like the owner of a hobbled camel. If he pays attention to it and takes care of it, he will keep it, but if he lets it go, he will lose it” (Agreed upon). This means that the one who has memorized the Qur’aan has to recite it regularly as part of his wird [regular dhikr]. At least he should recite one of the thirty juz’ and at most he should recite ten juz’ each day, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever reads the whole Qur’aan in less than three days does not understand it” (Agreed upon). By continually reciting it in this fashion he will retain what he has memorized.

10-Paying attention to the parts of the Qur’aan which resemble one another. The parts of the Qur’aan resemble one another in their meanings and wording. Allaah says: (interpretation of the meaning): “Allaah has sent down the Best Statement, a Book (this Qur’aan), its parts resembling each other (in goodness and truth) (and) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it (when they recite it or hear it). Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allaah” [al-Zumar 39:23]. So the good reader of Qur’aan has to pay particular attention to those parts which resemble one another, i.e., the parts where the wording is similar, as this will help him to memorize it properly.

11-Making the most of the best years. The one who is truly blessed is the one whom Allaah enables to make the most of the best years for memorizing, which come approximately between the ages of five and twenty-three. During these years, a person is able to memorize things very well. Before the age of five, he is not able to do that, and after the age of twenty-three his ability to memorize declines whilst his ability to understand increases. So young people of these ages should make the most of it and memorize the Book of Allaah, because they are at the age when they will be able to learn it quickly and will be slow to forget it, unlike when they get older. He spoke the truth who said, “Learning by heart when one is young is like engraving something on stone; learning something when one is old is like engraving something on water.”

It is our duty towards the Book of Allaah that we should memorize it properly, accept and follow its guidance, and make it the constitution of our lives, the light of our hearts, the comfort of our souls. Hopefully these rules will form a good foundation for those who sincerely want to memorize the Book of Allaah properly. And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Source

Little_Bro
09-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Jazakallah for the tips every one i am also memorizing the quraan !
I only have 8 chapters left!:D

A_Way_Of_Life
09-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Would it be better to learn Arabic before continuing to learn the Quran?

BlackMamba
09-21-2008, 08:00 PM
No man just keep memorizing the Quran then inshaallah you'll have an even stronger desire to learn the meaining of the Quran and you will inshallah learn Arabic. But all scholars start out with quran, just become hafiz and then do all other things. Because if you get sidetracked and started learning something else then the time for hifz may pass. If you have a good oppurtunity now, then do not waste it.

A_Way_Of_Life
09-21-2008, 09:08 PM
OK, thank you. :)

10-05-2008, 03:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A_Way_Of_Life
Would it be better to learn Arabic before continuing to learn the Quran?
You don't need to know arabic beforehand, but what I found really helps is if you learn the word by word translation as you go along, and everytime you recite it, do so with the meaning in mind.

It might sound hard at first but once you get going you'll realise how many similar words have been repeated all over the Qur'an! Also, it'll help you remember the ayat better because you know what they mean- it's like memorising a story! And it's way more interesting :statisfie

A_Way_Of_Life
10-06-2008, 03:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rose_Ice
You don't need to know arabic beforehand, but what I found really helps is if you learn the word by word translation as you go along, and everytime you recite it, do so with the meaning in mind.

It might sound hard at first but once you get going you'll realise how many similar words have been repeated all over the Qur'an! Also, it'll help you remember the ayat better because you know what they mean- it's like memorising a story! And it's way more interesting :statisfie
Thanks for the tip! :)

the_middle_road
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Bismillah al-Rahman al-Raheem

Alhamdulillahi rabbil aalameen. Was salaatu was salaamu ala ashraful mursaleen sayyidina Muhammadi wa ala aali sayyidina Muhammadi wa ashaabihi ajma’een.

I’ve seen a lot of articles on the net about tips on how to become a Hafiz. But I’ve yet to come across any which deals with what to do after one has attained that - how does one thereafter adequately maintain one’s Hifz? Because that is really the hard part. Becoming a Hafiz is challenging enough, but the prospect of retaining the Quran in ones heart for the rest of ones life – that is the real difficulty. So insha Allah, this will be of some help in that regard.

http://tmr123.wordpress.com/2008/07/...-hifzul-quran/

aqsakhan
11-06-2008, 04:38 AM
best of luck to all the borhters and the sisters who r memorising the quran MAY ALLAH accepts it and makes it easy for everyone AMEEN

~ Sabr ~
05-14-2012, 10:04 AM
:bump:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.