/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prophet Muhammad's letter to Christians

MuslimCONVERT
08-02-2006, 01:35 AM
In 628 C.E. Prophet Muhammad(saas) granted a Charter of Privileges to the monks of St. Catherine Monastery in Mt. Sinai. It consisted of several clauses covering all aspects of human rights including such topics as the protection of Christians, freedom of worship and movement, freedom to appoint their own judges and to own and maintain their property, exemption from military service, and the right to protection in war.

An English translation of that document is presented here:

This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.

Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because
Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them.

Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.

No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses.

Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.

No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight.

The Muslims are to fight for them.

If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.

Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.

No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
dougmusr
08-02-2006, 01:52 AM
It's an interesting letter. Have you read the book "In the Presence of My Enemies" by Gracia Burnham?

Quruxbadaan
08-02-2006, 01:56 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi

this is interesting

Maa salaama

searchingsoul
08-03-2006, 05:50 AM
He seemed to really like us.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
08-03-2006, 06:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
He seemed to really like us.
He loved all mankind. The actions of some met with his disapproval, but he was never against the person, just the actions.

searchingsoul
08-03-2006, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
He loved all mankind. The actions of some met with his disapproval, but he was never against the person, just the actions.
I have a nice feeling about the prophet Mohammed. My husband was always able to explain him well, and in good terms. Although I don't accept him as my prophet I think he was a good man.

Eric H
08-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Greetings and peace be with you MuslimCONVERT;

Thank you for starting this thread, I believe we must all keep searching for ways to foster greater interfaith friendships.

In the spirit of striving for peace on Earth

Eric

glo
08-26-2006, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimCONVERT
In 628 C.E. Prophet Muhammad(saas) granted a Charter of Privileges to the monks of St. Catherine Monastery in Mt. Sinai. It consisted of several clauses covering all aspects of human rights including such topics as the protection of Christians, freedom of worship and movement, freedom to appoint their own judges and to own and maintain their property, exemption from military service, and the right to protection in war.

An English translation of that document is presented here:

This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.

Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because
Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.

Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.

No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses.

Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.

No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight.

The Muslims are to fight for them.

If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.

Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.

No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).
Thank you for this positive post, MuslimCONVERT

Do all these things apply in our present political climate?

peace.

north_malaysian
08-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Why the Muslim kidnappers asked those fox journalists to proclaim Islam at the gunpoint?

Does converting churches into mosques included too?:?

glo
08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Why the Muslim kidnappers asked those fox journalists to proclaim Islam at the gunpoint?
I don't know which story you are referring to, but converting people at gunpoint clearly goes against the principle of 'no obligation to follow Islam'.

Again, I am guessing, but I assume it would be okay if the church was not is use anymore, thereby just an empty building. As opposed to destroying an 'operating' church and turning it into a mosque by force.

What are your views?

i_m_tipu
08-28-2006, 10:16 AM

not clear
what's ur point

MinAhlilHadeeth
08-28-2006, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I don't know which story you are referring to, but converting people at gunpoint clearly goes against the principle of 'no obligation to follow Islam'.

Again, I am guessing, but I assume it would be okay if the church was not is use anymore, thereby just an empty building. As opposed to destroying an 'operating' church and turning it into a mosque by force.

What are your views?
Agreed.:)

-Peace

seeker_of_ilm
08-28-2006, 10:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

What are your views?
:sl:

I think thats correct. The church should be allowed to remain a church...unless its not in use.

Caliph Umar, accompanied with Sophronius the patriarch of Jerusalem, paid a visit to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. As the time for afternoon prayer approached Sophronius invited Caliph Umar to pray inside the church but Caliph Umar declined his invitation and prayed outside citing his fear that Muslims who would come after him might establish a mosque in place of the church if he would pray over there

i_m_tipu
08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

I think thats correct. The church should be allowed to remain a church...unless its not in use.

Caliph Umar, accompanied with Sophronius the patriarch of Jerusalem, paid a visit to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. As the time for afternoon prayer approached Sophronius invited Caliph Umar to pray inside the church but Caliph Umar declined his invitation and prayed outside citing his fear that Muslims who would come after him might establish a mosque in place of the church if he would pray over there
i knew that

how big thougher they were

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 03:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by i_m_tipu
not clear
what's ur point
My first question is to show that some so called 'Muslims' dont follow the direction given by the Prophet... anybody would convert to islam at a gunpoint and when released they reverted back to be non-Muslims. It's shameful!!! They should follow this letter.

For the second question ... glo has given a good answer... thank you... but can anybody explain about "Hagia Sofia"?

Glo, can Christians convert a mosque into a cathedral/church?

north_malaysian
08-29-2006, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

Good answer

cihad
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
that letter was so sweet:)
now that is true islam
n

Jayda
08-31-2006, 03:51 PM
That was very interesting MuslimCONVERT, gracias. Do you know if the church sent any reply?

Aprender
09-08-2012, 03:39 AM
can Christians convert a mosque into a cathedral/church?
The Mosque in Cordoba, Spain was converted into a Roman Catholic church. The Vatican does not allow Muslims to pray in it.

Callisto
09-08-2012, 06:11 AM
My first question is to show that some so called 'Muslims' dont follow the direction given by the Prophet... anybody would convert to islam at a gunpoint and when released they reverted back to be non-Muslims. It's shameful!!! They should follow this letter.

For the second question ... glo has given a good answer... thank you... but can anybody explain about "Hagia Sofia"?

Glo, can Christians convert a mosque into a cathedral/church?
In 1453 Sultan Mehmed laid siege to Constantinople, driven in part by a desire to convert the city to Islam. The Sultan promised his troops three days of unbridled pillage if the city fell, after which he would claim its contents himself. Hagia Sophia was not exempted from the pillage, becoming its focal point as the invaders believed it to contain the greatest treasures of the city. Shortly after the city’s defenses collapsed, pillagers made their way to the Hagia Sophia and battered down its doors. Throughout the siege worshipers participated in the Holy Liturgy and Prayer of the Hours at the Hagia Sophia, and the church formed a refuge for many of those who were unable to contribute to the city’s defense. Trapped in the church, congregants and refugees became booty to be divided amongst the invaders. The building was desecrated and looted, and occupants enslaved or slaughtered; a few of the elderly and infirm were killed, and the remainder chained. Priests continued to perform Christian rites until stopped by the invaders. When the Sultan and his cohort entered the church he insisted it should be at once transformed into a mosque. One of the Ulama then climbed the pulpit and recited the Shahada.
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
The Mosque in Cordoba, Spain was converted into a Roman Catholic church. The Vatican does not allow Muslims to pray in it.
So was the Mosque in Seville, which became a church, then they build the Seville Cathedral, largest church also for a time after the Hagia Sophia. Since this was after the Reconquista, in 1248, this may have precipitated events in Istanbul in 1453. All bets were off and the letter from Muhammad was being ignored since it was not reciprocal.

The question I have is whether the Moors violated the letter when they invaded Andalusia in the first place or whether it had been violated prior to that even. It was the Umayyad conquest of Hispania inside 100 years of Muhammad's (saw) death. Here is an interesting wiki comment...

Perhaps because of the Muslim perception of Christians and Jews as People of the Book (those who believe in the God of Abraham), numerous Jewish and Christian communities survived through the centuries of Muslim rule in al-Andalus
Perhaps these churches were being protected, once they were no longer used for war. Maybe the Christians started the bad blood...that led to the Umayyad invasion of Europe, and then the favor was returned with the Crusades.

I like the letter. Perhaps its intent was for the current day. As it was written, does it not carry even more weigh than a Hadeeth?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.