/* */

PDA

View Full Version : relationship between a muslim and non-muslims

asiya45
08-03-2006, 05:36 PM
:sl:
I dont have a lot of muslim friends...two of my best freinds are non-muslims...recently i have told them i dont want to hang out with them...just the fact that all they talk abt are their problems with their boyfreinds and girls that they hate...and i cant take it any more...the more i hang around with them, i am commiting more and more sins each day...i know i hurt them but i am not sure what i am suppose to do...I have known them fo a long time.
I have spent alot of time with them in school and out but now when i am tryin to be more religious I feel like i have commited a sin by entering their house. :heated: have i?:?
What type of relationship is between a muslim and a non-muslim?
:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salah ad-din
08-03-2006, 06:14 PM
The Prophet(saw) had many non-Muslim relationships. You can be of company with non-Muslim friends without getting involved in the fitnah they produce by keeping a distance. Turn your focus to something else other than hanging out with them.

I also have many non-Muslim friends. I usually just keep a phone/e mail relationship with them.

asiya45
08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Jazakallah brother I will try my best.
: )

DigitalStorm82
08-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Sis,

I want to congratulate you on your excellent decision.

Your true friends would invite you to the path that leads closer to Allah and not away from it...

What you've done is gone against the force of shataan and severed the path that leads you astray.

You can have non-muslim friends... but they cannot be trusted... and it is said in the Quran.

O you who believe! Take not as (your) Bitanah (advisors, consultants, protectors, helpers, friends, etc.) those outside your religion (pagans, Jews, Christians, and hypocrites) since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse. Indeed We have made plain to you the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses) if you understand.
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #118)

It's better to have muslim friends... or no friends at all...

You can give dawah by being a good muslim and living with good character...

Muslim to non-muslim "friendship" should be limited to necessity.. or it'll tend to lead you astray..

Once again, I hope Allah is pleased with your decision. I am :)

Keep strong sis,
W'salaamz,
Hamid

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
asiya45
08-04-2006, 10:25 AM
:w:
Jazakallah brother for the support. I guess you are right might jus not have any friends than to have friends that will lead me away from Allah and Islam. Allah forbid.
I pray that Allah blesses you with his showersupon you as well.
Amin

Dawud_uk
08-04-2006, 12:17 PM
assalaamu alaykum,

if it not allowable to be friends with the kuffar, however it allowable to be friendly with them for the purposes of trying to make their hearts closer to islam,

do you see the difference?

but when giving dawah, first off you need to protect yourself, if they are drawing you into sins with their conversations and actions then you should leave them and find pious good friends who will help you gain Allah's favour.

remember also, we are raised amongst our friends on the day of judgement so choose your friends wisely.

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud

asiya45
08-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Assalamualikum,
Is it really important to have friends?

DigitalStorm82
08-05-2006, 04:31 AM
It is important to have Muslim friends...

Everyone goes through a period where their Iman is at their highest peak and a period where its just enough to get you by...

Its important to have good practicing muslim friends in your social circle, as they will motivate you to try your best... or be there when you go through hardship or share your happiness...

Most importantly, friends can help you become better muslim when you simply dont have the will power to do it yourself...

Muslim friends may even call you up at fajr time to wake you up for salaah...etc..

There are a lot of benefits of having good muslim friends... but the best friend should be your creater, Allah.

w'salaamz,
Hamid

asiya45
08-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Jazakallah brother Hamid,
Inshallah will i will find muslims friends that will wake me up for fajr prayer because i am sure i would wake a muslim up for the fajr prayer jus the wake my parents up :)
Remember me in ur dua's brother.
Yes that is tru because Allah is the all knowing, understanding and the forgiver. Mashallah.
Assalamualikum

asiya45
08-05-2006, 04:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

if it not allowable to be friends with the kuffar, however it allowable to be friendly with them for the purposes of trying to make their hearts closer to islam,

but when giving dawah, first off you need to protect yourself, if they are drawing you into sins with their conversations and actions then you should leave them and find pious good friends who will help you gain Allah's favour.

remember also, we are raised amongst our friends on the day of judgement so choose your friends wisely.

assalaamu alaykum,

Daw'ud
Walalikumasalam brother,
i read you post again and i understand what you are tryin to say. Inshallah I will find muslim friends. Those are some wise words: "raised amongst our friends on the day of judgement"
Assalamualikum

thc
08-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Asalamu alaikum warahmatulli wabaraktuhu,

Having friends which are righteous is benificial.
However one can interact with non muslims but one has
to avoid haraam and if they talk haraam then one must not engage with these
types of coversation.

aamirsaab
08-07-2006, 09:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HusamLah
...we have to be cautious of our nonmuslim friends
Why is that?

Woodrow
08-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Reading through here I seen a statement made that I believe can be often misunderstood.

You can have non-muslim friends... but they cannot be trusted... and it is said in the Quran.
I do not think that means that non-Muslim friends are treacherous or deceitful. I believe the area of distrust is more in line with lack of knowledge. Just that out of lack of knowing they will do things that you know are haraam and they may even try to entice you to doing the same, with out understanding the harm.

Sort of like if I knew somebody did not know anything about farm animals, I could not trust him to milk the cows for my morning milk. Has nothing to do with his charecter.

Just my opinion Astragfirullah

syilla
08-08-2006, 01:22 AM
then how we want to give da'wah(how to preach)...if we don't make friends with them...

Woodrow
08-08-2006, 03:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
then how we want to give da'wah(how to preach)...if we don't make friends with them...
I believe my previous post (above syilla's) may be confusing.

I do not think that means that non-Muslim friends are treacherous or deceitful. I believe the area of distrust is more in line with lack of knowledge. Just that out of lack of knowing they will do things that you know are haraam and they may even try to entice you to doing the same, with out understanding the harm.

Sort of like if I knew somebody did not know anything about farm animals, I could not trust him to milk the cows for my morning milk. Has nothing to do with his charecter.

Just my opinion Astragfirullah

I wasn't trying to imply we should not have non-Muslim friends. I was trying to explain what is meant when it is said non-Muslim friends are not to be trusted. I would readily trust my non-Muslim friends to take money to the bank and deposit it for me. But, I would not trust them to cook a halal meal for me.

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 03:32 AM
I have lots of non-muslims good friends, it's good that we can learn so many things and hear so many views....

Eric H
08-08-2006, 04:55 AM
Greetings and peace be with you all,

Ok I am a Christian and we have exactly the same conversation should we associate with non- Christians and I believe that we should.:)

We are all a part of God’s creation, the God you worship created me, I believe we have a great duty of care placed on us. Surely each one of us has a duty of care to look after God's creation, and we are each a part of the same God's creation, so we should look after each other.:)

Why would God create me and give me faith as a Christian, and then create you and give you faith in Islam? Would it be that we should try and compete against each other and try and convert each other to our faith? Is it that we should live in separate parts of the world that our God created? I should try and live in a Christian country and you can live in an Islamic country and we keep our distance?

Or did God have some other purpose, did he create us in the hope that we should be able to get on with each other despite our differences?

When I pray and when you pray the same God hears and answers our prayers, God has to be far greater than the sum of all the religions of the world.

In the spirit of seeking greater interfaith friendships

Eric

Abdul Fattah
08-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Being friendly and trying to install interreligous conversation is all a good thing. But there's a difrence when you keep non-muslims as closests friends. I'm a revert and come from a catholic enviroment. And I didn't turn my back on my friends, I'm still there for them. But I have took my distance. I cant go out clubbing, and so on with them. And when they do things I don't like, or I don't want to be part of I just simply say it. And in the long run, that means we've somehow grown apart. But that's actually making my life easyer. Don't get me wrong it's not that I don't value these friendships, but I try to follow my faith strictly and that means I must not alone avoid certain actions but also certain situations.

Sister,
You don't have to break all ties with them. Remember that this might create a bad image on Islam, and they might be angry at you since they will think you consider them as "not good enough" for you. Try this, when a situation comes you don't feel ok with, just tell them something among the lines of: My religion forbids gossiping so I'd apreciate you don't share those things with me. or "I don't liek discussing these matters since I feel they are unapropriate subjects which lead t oimpure thoughts." or "My religion advises me to leave when people are making fun of it; so if you want me to stay please don't mock my religion"

I'm just thinking out loud here. I don't know what the actual problem is between you and yuor friends, so these answers are based on things I expierianced. Just make clear that you're ok with them, but not ok with some of the things they do. And either they'll change so it will become ok for you to hang around, or they wont and you will naturally grow apart without a big drama about it insha Allah.

snakelegs
08-09-2006, 02:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
assalaamu alaykum,

assalaamu alaykum,
Daw'ud
translation: don't befriend the kuffar unless you think you can convince them to accept islam. (only if you have a hidden agenda).
this would mean: if a muslim wants to be your friend he is only doing it for an ulterior motive. moral: be wary of a muslim who says he wants to be your friend. it is very conditional.
is this an accurate translation?
thanks.
is this right?
fortunately, most muslims i know are not like you.

asiya45
08-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Well i had an argument with my bestfriend after devoting myself to god...she called me an extremist...i let it go but then she said mayb you are a hypocrite....well that when i decieded i cant sit at home and argue with her at home i have to talk to her person and explain what i am going thru and understand where she is coming from..... I am going to a chat with them...may allah give me the strenght to talk to my friends. They have always been there for me and when i havent been there they have cried for me and laughed with me. I hope i dunt ofend them in anyway but i gotta do what i gotta do. I am meeting up with them today...lets c what happens.
Pray for me...Inshallah everything goes well.
Allah Almighty knows everything.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.