/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a VERY basic English Translation of the Quran?

QuranStudy
08-04-2006, 02:10 AM
Salaam,

Can anyone refer me to a very simple translation of the Quran? You can recommend me an author, book, or website.

I have read several surahs in English, but the English is quite complex (reminds me of Shakespeare :D)

Please help. I am very eager to continue my study. Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
08-04-2006, 02:20 AM
Keep in mind no translation is the Qur'an. I think what you may need is a valid explanation of the Qur'an, not a simple translation. None of the words in the Qur'an translate accuratly into English. All translations are awkward and tedious. None come close to the true beauty or the true meanings as expressed in the original. I would suggest looking at several explanations of the Qur'an. I say several as an explanation is a person's opinion and you will see differences of opinion. But, it can be a starting point to learning.

There are several web sites you can print an explanation from. At the moment, I can not think of which would be the best. A good explanation is written by Abdullah Yusuf Ali. But, there are possible errors in it. If you choose to look at that explanation, keep an open mind to reading explanations by others also.

Woodrow
08-04-2006, 02:30 AM
I forgot to ask in my above post. What translations have you currently read. Perhaps some of us could find a good explanation to go with it.

QuranStudy
08-04-2006, 02:37 AM
I forgot to ask in my above post. What translations have you currently read. Perhaps some of us could find a good explanation to go with it.
T.B. Irving

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
08-04-2006, 02:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
T.B. Irving
I have never come across any of his Translations. He is a new one to me.

Perhaps you may want to try a translation and commentary by Abdullah Yusuf Ali. I find Ali's translation easy, but his commentaries I question. Marmaduke Pickthrall also put out an excellent translation. I don't like his translation as well as Ali's but his commentaries seem to be more accurate. Try either of those as a translation. But, at the moment seek the aid of a knowldgeable Muslim for explanations of what you do not understand. Use the commentaries of Ali and/or Pickthrall simply as rough guides.

QuranStudy
08-04-2006, 04:27 AM
So, which is better in understanding Islam: Translation or Commentary.

My intention is to understand what the Surah is saying.

Thanks.

Woodrow
08-04-2006, 04:39 AM
If you have acess to a life scholar, I would suggest using a translation and then asking the scholar to explain what you do not understand. Using a good translation, much of it will be self explanatory.

If you do not have access to a scholar I would suggest using the commentaries of at least 2 people. My personal favorites being Ali and Pickthrall. Compare both of them. Do not try to understand all at once. The Qur'an is actually very understandable and clear. We humans just have a way of confusing things.

Your desire to learn is admirable. Do not let it become an obstacle tho. Allah(swt) Has given you guides and you will never be expected to know what you are incapable of knowing. There is nothing hidden or not understandable in the Qur'an. We reverts sometimes have difficulty in grasping the simplicity.

- Qatada -
08-04-2006, 03:10 PM
:salamext:

I think Mohsin Khan's translation is really simple and easy to understand insha'Allaah.

http://quranicrealm.com/

And you can download some really nice recitations off this link insha'Allaah:

http://quran.jalisi.com/

:wasalamex

Far7an
08-04-2006, 03:16 PM
:sl:

IMO, Saheeh International is one of the best translations. It's easy to understand and widely used by many scholars.

http://quran.islamicnetwork.com/

Click on any surah. Then check the saheeh international box at the top, and click on 'Submit'.

Les_Nubian
08-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Muhammad Zafrulla Khan's new translation with arabic text on the side is great. You should check it out. ;)

Hijrah
08-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Saheeh International is the best one according to many scholars, all of them have mistakes but Saheeh International supposedly has the least...

QuranStudy
08-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Thank you everyone

ameen
08-06-2006, 02:01 AM
salam,

over a dozen different English translations of the Qur'an at this link:

http://www.sparklywater.com/sparklywater/links.html

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.