/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Taoism now recognised in MyKad (Malaysian Identity Card)

north_malaysian
08-04-2006, 02:13 AM
PUTRAJAYA: Taoists who had their religion recorded as 'Buddhism' or 'Others' in their MyKad can get it corrected now.

Deputy Home Minister Datuk Tan Chai Ho said Taoism had been included in the list of religions recognised on the MyKad after he brought the matter with the National Registeration Department (NRD).

Previously only five categories were recognised - Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism - while other religions were classified as "Others".

Tan, however, said little hitches were expected despite a circular being passed on the new rulings rcently and he advised Taoists to continue going back to NRD to get it rectified.

Speaking to reporters yesterday after meeting with members of Federation of Taoist Associations Malaysia here, Tan said the matter was brought up with department following their complaints.

The federation had earlier this year submitted a memorandum expressing concerns over the lack of recognition for Taoism in Malaysia.

Its president Tan Bon Sin had been reported as saying that nearly 80% of their members were recorded as Buddhists or as having "no religion" in the NRD database despite writing "Taoism" in the religion column.

He had also expresed concern that the number of Taoists in the country was dwindling. Between 1980 and 1991, the number of Taoists in Malaysia had gone down by 39%.

The Star, 04.08.2006, page N14.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Keltoi
08-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Taoism. I haven't that word in quite awhile. That is good that Taoism will be recognized. Can't say that I know much about the philosophy behind it, but if I remember correctly it was important in China a long time ago.

north_malaysian
08-04-2006, 02:24 AM
Actually, I'm wondering why NRD not recognising Confucianism, Baha'i Faith, Jainism, Shintoism, Animism and Atheism yet!!!

מדינת ישׂראל
08-07-2006, 02:39 AM
What exactly is Taoism? Is it like Budhism and developed in China?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Keltoi
08-07-2006, 02:41 AM
If I remember correctly, it is more of a philosophy, moreso than a religion.

ManchesterFolk
08-07-2006, 02:54 AM
Taoism is actually very interesting. I studied about it in comparitive religion.

north_malaysian
08-07-2006, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by מדינת ישׂראל
What exactly is Taoism? Is it like Budhism and developed in China?
Taoism is a religion introduced by Lao-Tse. He wrote a book called Tao Te Sung. The symbol usually used by Taoists are 'ying & Yang' or red swastika.

It's like a chinese folk religions involved lots of superstitious belief, 'Fengshui', "taichi" created by Taoism.

This month is a very busy month for Taoists in Malaysia as they're celebrating 'Hungry Ghost Festival' which they offers a lot for ancestors who are dead. Penang, particularly is the best place to observe this kind of practices.

Malaysian Chinese follows Mahayana Buddhism which also incorporated lots of Taoism and Confucianism in their belief. But there are Chinese who prefers to practice Taoism solely.

We Malaysians have to learn Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Christianity, Hinduism and sikhism which is part of our education curriculum.
Schools also organize trips to these religions' house of worship.

I've been to Buddhist temples, Taoist temples, Confucian temples, Hindu temples and churches.

Taoists funeral service are so massive and elaborate. I know this because there are two Taoist families living by my house. When someone dead they'll host a big feast (for the dead) which includes roasted pigs (the bigger the better), lot's of 'pau' (chinese kind of bread) and some side dishes on a big table in front of their houses. Usually, it'll create traffic jams, but we are tolerant with it because we are accustomed to it. Then the Taoist priests will bless the food by circling the table with holding bells and make it ringing, followed by relatives. The mourners usually wears black or white dress. Then the mourners will wear 'gunny sack' on their head.

There are professional mourners which must be paid handsomely. The more wailing sound they made the higher the price.

מדינת ישׂראל
08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Taoists funeral service are so massive and elaborate. I know this because there are two Taoist families living by my house. When someone dead they'll host a big feast (for the dead) which includes roasted pigs (the bigger the better), lot's of 'pau' (chinese kind of bread) and some side dishes on a big table in front of their houses. Usually, it'll create traffic jams, but we are tolerant with it because we are accustomed to it.
Wow, its sounds almost like a 'celebration'

north_malaysian
08-08-2006, 02:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by מדינת ישׂראל
Wow, its sounds almost like a 'celebration'
It's a feast for the deceased .... so lavish....

But the scene is not a celebration, because mourners wailing loudly..... so sad actually...... :cry:

AvarAllahNoor
08-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Don't they worship the dead?

Fishman
08-21-2006, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Actually, I'm wondering why NRD not recognising Confucianism, Baha'i Faith, Jainism, Shintoism, Animism and Atheism yet!!!
:sl:
Why isn't Judaism on the list? Is that because of the dispute with Israel?
:w:

brainiac
08-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Why do you need to state your religion on an identity card ? Who's business is it but yours ? Sounds 'fishy' to me.

Dahir
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brainiac
Why do you need to state your religion on an identity card ? Who's business is it but yours ? Sounds 'fishy' to me.
It is fishy and wrong. But as N_M has pointed out, Malaysia is very "ethnically aware," and its almost vital for the country to keep track of its people; many "Eastern" nations do this around the world; either to suppress uprising minorities or to create a strict caste system - its still awkward and wrong, reminds me of Nazi Germany and Rwanda circa 1994. +o(

syilla
08-22-2006, 01:05 AM
because we have syariah law here in malaysia..but only for the muslims...

so anyone that doesn't fast during Ramadhan or do 'khalwat'...will be caught and fine...

Zulkiflim
08-22-2006, 01:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Why isn't Judaism on the list? Is that because of the dispute with Israel?

Salaam,

Hmm curious...

Malaysia does not recognize Isreal not Jews..

So maybe there are Jews,if they want to enter Malaysia they cannot use their isrealis passport..

Since most jews have dual citizenship..so it is no biggie it hink

north_malaysian
08-22-2006, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim
Salaam,

Hmm curious...

Malaysia does not recognize Isreal not Jews..

So maybe there are Jews,if they want to enter Malaysia they cannot use their isrealis passport..

Since most jews have dual citizenship..so it is no biggie it hink
Malaysia have no diplomatic relationship with Israel.

Malaysia doesnt recognised Judaism in MyKad because ONLY 1 Malaysian Jewish family exists in Penang right now (hundreds of them migrated to Singapore and Australia) during World War 2 (because Japanese occupation discriminations and Communist insurgency).

There is a Jewish cemetery which is still being taken care off in Yahudi Road (now known as Jalan Zainal Abidin). The synagogue in Jalan Nagore is still exist but closed (because not enough people to perform prayers).

There are some history about Penangite Jewish community exhibited in Penang State Museum. So for me, at least Penang recognise Jewish community.

Furthermore, if we refer to "Atlas KBSM Fajar Bakti" (Official Atlas for Geography Class in Malaysian Public school) the maps show the word "Israel" and "Jerusalem" as its capital.... So Malaysia does recognise Israel (at least in Geography subject).

Actually Israelis can visit Malaysia using Israeli passport, so do Malaysians to visit Israel. Both citizens hace to obtain special permission from each country in order to visit it.

For example, Malaysians can enter Israel if they have religious pilgrimages such as Baha'is to Haifa, or Christians to holy sites in Israel.

Keltoi
08-22-2006, 03:27 AM
I've learned quite a bit about Malaysia from "north_malaysians" posts. Just proof that you can actually learn something in a forum.

therebbe
08-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Sadly there are Jewish cemetaries and Shuls in many places that are empty because of discrimination towards the Jews. Especially during WWII.

Poland use to have 3 Million Jews. Less than 5,000 live there today. Most died in the Holocaust.

north_malaysian
08-22-2006, 03:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
I've learned quite a bit about Malaysia from "north_malaysians" posts. Just proof that you can actually learn something in a forum.
Hey I've learnt lots about Judaism from Jewish forummers.... I dont even realise that there is something like 'Seven Laws of Noah' etc.

north_malaysian
08-22-2006, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by therebbe
Sadly there are Jewish cemetaries and Shuls in many places that are empty because of discrimination towards the Jews. Especially during WWII.

Poland use to have 3 Million Jews. Less than 5,000 live there today. Most died in the Holocaust.
With Jewish-Muslim tensions, I dont think that Malaysian Jews would come back to Penang. I've read an article somewhere mentioning that Penangite Jews speak a dialect which they called as "Penangite Hebrew". Basically it's Hebrew, with lots of words from Arabic, Malay, English and Hokkien (local Chinese dialect) languages. I think the language might be EXTINCT now.

brainiac
08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
I do a lot of traveling for my underwater photography. Malaysia WAS one of the places I had thought of going. No more. It doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd want to spend my money. Same with Fiji. There are plenty of other places to see.+o(

Fishman
08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
I do a lot of traveling for my underwater photography. Malaysia WAS one of the places I had thought of going. No more. It doesn't sound like the kind of place I'd want to spend my money. Same with Fiji. There are plenty of other places to see.+o(
Why, what's wrong with Malaysia? It's one of the Muslim countries that I would like to live in, probably the most sucessful one today.

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 02:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
probably the most sucessful one today.
Hmmm.... syilla ... any comments? Is our nation ... SUCCESSFUL..?

syilla
08-23-2006, 03:29 AM
Hmmm.... syilla ... any comments? Is our nation ... SUCCESSFUL..?
no comments :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

north_malaysian
08-23-2006, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
no comments :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:
There are dozens of issues which REALLY important to attend to which could contribute to destabilisation of our country .... but people ONLY SEE Siti Nurhaliza's Wedding of the Year. I'm sick of it (reading the newspaper and tv news) +o( +o( +o(

syilla
08-23-2006, 03:38 AM
There are dozens of issues which REALLY important to attend to which could contribute to destabilisation of our country .... but people ONLY SEE Siti Nurhaliza's Wedding of the Year. I'm sick of it (reading the newspaper and tv news) +o( +o( +o(
lol i though you love watching siti's pics...as you have said she is beautiful...:giggling:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.