/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Earwax Problems

Ameeratul Layl
08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
:sl:

I hope you are well.inshAllah.

I went to the doctors as I had very bad ear-aches. So, he prescribed ear drops. No difference. Then, I bought a spray for the ear to smoothen the earwax. It worked - a little.
Eventually, I had to go to the nurse and get the wax taken out.

The problem

I have been told not to use cotton sticks by my nurse.
I am not keen in spraying liquids into my ear.

And, my ear is becoming rather itchy again.

Is there anything other than sprays and cotton sticks that I could use?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
08-04-2006, 10:05 AM

as dumb as this sounds, some one once told me (it was either a doctor or a teacher, i really cant remember) to use a bobby hair clip... you know the ones that you put in your hair and they are usually black? or some kind of instument like that becuase its small and doesnt have the cotton tip thing etc

er dont know how good that is though lol

Ameeratul Layl
08-04-2006, 10:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cheese

as dumb as this sounds, some one once told me (it was either a doctor or a teacher, i really cant remember) to use a bobby hair clip... you know the ones that you put in your hair and they are usually black? or some kind of instument like that becuase its small and doesnt have the cotton tip thing etc

er dont know how good that is though lol

I did use the pin the first time I had problems. But, I am scared to use it incase I burst the ear drum.

JazakAllah ukhti.:)

Malaikah
08-04-2006, 10:13 AM

ok now thats a scary thought... but i dont think we should be putting ANYTHING so deep into the ear that it woukd go near the ear drum, should we??

wa iyyakum:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ameeratul Layl
08-04-2006, 10:16 AM

ok now thats a scary thought... but i dont think we should be putting ANYTHING so deep into the ear that it woukd go near the ear drum, should we??

wa iyyakum:)

:( this is not good. I have someone coming from Germany today and look at me. I have earwax problems.
How about Ear candling?

Ear candling," also known as auricular candling or coning, refers to various procedures that involve placing a cone-shaped device in the ear canal and supposedly extracting earwax and other impurities with the help of smoke or a burning wick. The origins of candling are obscure. Ancient Tibet, China, Egypt, the pre-Columbian Americas, and even the mythical city of Atlantis are cited as possible contributors. The procedures supposedly create a low-level vacuum that draws wax and other debris out of the ear canal. Some proponents even claim that impurities are removed from the inner ear, the facial sinuses, or even the brain itself, all of which are somehow connected to the canal.

Should I try it?

Wasalam

Malaikah
08-04-2006, 10:21 AM

sounds freaky, i think you should ask a doctor inshaallah. is the doctor coming from gernamy just for you? :?

Muslim-Gyal
08-04-2006, 10:24 AM
i thought it was dangerous to put things in ur ear like cotton sticks and hair pins :S
[S][/S]

sevgi
08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
i was told to use a peice of stick or wateva wrapped in a cloth or towel...that way, peices of the cotton bud dont get left behind in your ear and the stick or wateva is too thick to go too deep so as to harm the ear drum,,,...

Ameeratul Layl
08-04-2006, 10:27 AM

sounds freaky, i think you should ask a doctor inshaallah. is the doctor coming from gernamy just for you? :?

:) SubhanAllah, no ukhti. But as this person is Italian, they may know of some remedies. Then again, maybe not.

Okay brothers and sisters, I only have 3 hours to get rid of this earwax. Anymore help, Bitte?

Mujahidah4Allah
08-04-2006, 12:45 PM

oh i went deaf for about 3 weeks and the docs said to put olive oil it really wors try it if you want to know more like how to then ask

ma'salamah

Mawaddah
08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
^ Yes that's true sis. My sister had the same problem Ameeratul Layl and my mom just heated up some olive oil/coconut oil with some pounded pieces of Garlic in it.

Let it heat and boil for a little so that the juices from the garlic comes out into the oil. Then take a cotton bud and dip it into the warm oil and gently place it into the ear. Let it rest for a bit and then clean it out. It cures really fast too!!

Allah Ma3ik

Mujahidah4Allah
08-04-2006, 02:21 PM

oh i never boiled it or nothing [well thats if you're in a sistuation where you dont have a cooker at your boarding school haha], yeah docs told me i just put oil in my ear, they never told me how, so i ermm soaked the oil in a cotton biud, lied down, put it in my ear, be like that for a good 5-10 mins and hey presto, you got your ears working in no time, except my room mates were being mean, because i was deaf they used start calling me things and i couldnt hear, and they were laughing [was so sad :cry:]

ma'salamah

Ameeratul Layl
08-04-2006, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hyper~gal

oh i never boiled it or nothing [well thats if you're in a sistuation where you dont have a cooker at your boarding school haha], yeah docs told me i just put oil in my ear, they never told me how, so i ermm soaked the oil in a cotton biud, lied down, put it in my ear, be like that for a good 5-10 mins and hey presto, you got your ears working in no time, except my room mates were being mean, because i was deaf they used start calling me things and i couldnt hear, and they were laughing [was so sad :cry:]

ma'salamah
Oh habibati, don't take any notice of immature people. They are not worth the shedding of a tear.
So, sis hyper gal and mawaddah, I should use olive oil? I do not have the fresh oil, my one is actually stored in a big tin gallon for cooking. Is that okay?
I shall try the remedies when no one is at home.inshAllah.:)

JazakAllah so much.

Mujahidah4Allah
08-04-2006, 05:00 PM
i dont think it matters if its pure or not... try that filipo olive oil, ermm oil for cooking i suppose if its olive oil :D try it and let us know if you can hear again...

ma'salamah

chacha_jalebi
08-04-2006, 05:01 PM
salaam

this may sound un hygenic but its not :p

you know pen lids :p put d end in ur ear & get all d wax out :D:D:D & u even get the satisfaction of seein the wax on the pen lid:p, so you know you aint missed any lol:D :D

Mujahidah4Allah
08-04-2006, 05:02 PM
+o( that doesnt sound nice...

ma'salamah

chacha_jalebi
08-04-2006, 05:04 PM
it is nice :p, its safer then usin earbuds because they mash up your ears :D:D

Mujahidah4Allah
08-04-2006, 05:07 PM
huh how does it mash up your eyes? o_O

ma'salamah

Ameeratul Layl
08-04-2006, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
salaam

this may sound un hygenic but its not :p

you know pen lids :p put d end in ur ear & get all d wax out :D:D:D & u even get the satisfaction of seein the wax on the pen lid:p, so you know you aint missed any lol:D :D

I know. The whole in the pen lid allows the wax to take up the round shape. Its only logic but I really do not think this is a good way to get rid of earwax.

chacha_jalebi
08-04-2006, 05:12 PM
oh lol .... but it does work sister, also theres like so so much ear drops thins that apparently brake up the wax, u must hav seen the posters :p they everywer :D

and i meant mash up ur ears lol, :D

Ameeratul Layl
08-04-2006, 05:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
oh lol .... but it does work sister, also theres like so so much ear drops thins that apparently brake up the wax, u must hav seen the posters :p they everywer :D

and i meant mash up ur ears lol, :D
I have used the drops and sprays but I am not keen on them as they consist of Hydrogen Peroxide. Yes, there are loads of chemicals and I do not wish to insert them into my ear.

Anyhow, I will take up the idea of olive oil and cloves.inshAllah.

From here on, :threadclo

(so as to refrain from off topic and free posting).

JazakAllah to all for their help.

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 06:33 AM
*edit*

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-08-2006, 08:51 PM
You can also use ear syringing, here a little that might help you Insha'Allah.

What can I do if wax builds up and causes problems?

Ear drops
Ear drops alone will often clear a plug of wax. You can buy drops from pharmacies. For example, sodium bicarbonate, almond oil, or olive oil ear drops. Warm the drops to room temperature before using them. (Let the bottle stand in the room for about half an hour.) Pour a few drops into the affected ear. Lie with the affected ear uppermost when putting in drops. Stay like this for 2-3 minutes to allow the drops to soak into the wax. The wax is softened, and it often breaks up if you put drops in 3-4 times a day for 5-7 days. Flakes or crusts of wax usually fall out bit by bit.

Ear syringing
This may be needed if ear drops do not work. Syringing will usually clear wax. But, it will usually only work if the plug of wax has been softened. Therefore, use ear drops to soften wax 2-3 times a day for five days prior to syringing. Ear syringing is usually painless. Lukewarm water is squirted into the ear canal. This dislodges the softened plug which then falls out with the water.

Some people feel dizzy after ear syringing, but this quickly settles. Some people develop an inflammation in the ear canal following ear syringing. This causes itch and discomfort, but can be treated with ear drops. Rarely, ear syringing can cause serious damage to the ear or eardrum.

Ear syringing may not be advised if you have certain ear problems. In particular, if you:

Have had surgery for some types of ear problems.
Have recurring infection of the ear canal (recurring otitis externa).
Have or have had a perforated ear drum.
Are deaf in your other ear (as there is a very small risk that syringing can cause deafness in your good ear and so make you deaf in both ears.)

Looking4Peace
08-08-2006, 10:08 PM
What you guys are all doing sounds very dangerous you never stick something hard in your ears unless you plan on doing real damage or getting a bad infection, a soft q tip is ok once in a while just dont stick it in too deep, but if you really want to get rid of wax, find a doctor who puts this suction thing into your ear and it takes out years of clogged up wax, you would be supprised how much wax comes out, its a medical procedure that i go for every 2-3 yrs and i come out feeling like a new person, i can hear twice as sharp, but dont try to be your own doctor at home with you ears, very dangerous.

jalo
08-08-2006, 10:22 PM
on no account should you put cotton buds, hair clips, pens, pen lids or anything like these in your ears as they could do unrepairable damage, some olive oil, or almond oil put in the ear especially at night with some cotton wool to plug the ear should soften and remove any wax, if this does not work after a few days then the ear may need syringed, but this should only be done by a nurse or doctor as too great a force from the syringe could bruise the inner ear and cause even more problems

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
08-08-2006, 10:42 PM
lol@clips and pen tops and the garlic mix sounds ait dodgy if you ask me lol

Fishman
08-09-2006, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl

:( this is not good. I have someone coming from Germany today and look at me. I have earwax problems.
How about Ear candling?

Ear candling," also known as auricular candling or coning, refers to various procedures that involve placing a cone-shaped device in the ear canal and supposedly extracting earwax and other impurities with the help of smoke or a burning wick. The origins of candling are obscure. Ancient Tibet, China, Egypt, the pre-Columbian Americas, and even the mythical city of Atlantis are cited as possible contributors. The procedures supposedly create a low-level vacuum that draws wax and other debris out of the ear canal. Some proponents even claim that impurities are removed from the inner ear, the facial sinuses, or even the brain itself, all of which are somehow connected to the canal.

Should I try it?

Wasalam
Ear candling? Sounds like quackery to me. But then I'm one of the few people left who prefer conventional medicine to this alternative stuff. The Prophet (pbuh) used a number of therapies that could be considered alternative today, but because that was all that was around at the time. Compared to modern medicine they are not particularly effective, although they do work to some degree.

How is smoke supposed to remove earwax?

chacha_jalebi
08-09-2006, 07:42 PM
lol the thread was posed to be closed but oh well :p

i think a warmed up oil is kool, especially black seed oil, that helps a lot you know, but oils if you put too much in your ear you can seriosly mash it up :D just use a pen lid :p or pick it out :p lol ive seen people wit long nails do that its nasty though :D:D:D:

Mujahidah4Allah
08-09-2006, 07:58 PM
hey hey i'm being laughed at through reps here, chaha u edited ur post about mashing up the 'eyes' n i said what eyes n u edited n out ears thats so not fair it makes me look dumb

ma'salamah

chacha_jalebi
08-09-2006, 08:00 PM
hey hey i'm being laughed at through reps here, chaha u edited ur post about mashing up the 'eyes' n i said what eyes n u edited n out ears thats so not fair it makes me look dumb

ma'salamah
edited :p shush lol its a gud thin sista ;) atleast u gettin reps :D:D:D:D

H4RUN
08-09-2006, 08:08 PM

ma'salamah
wooopsy lol who could that have been? erm not laughed at sis, don't think i made it clear....it made me laugh :thumbs_up ...oh and yeah did realise 'the' chacha actually wrote that but edited it...cheeeky lol :D.....and yeah u gettin reps lol
ma'salama
n bou d whole ear thing all these suggestions especially chacha's do sound a tad ear-y get it? er er er i gues not lol ok i bes be quiet from now on :p

ma'salama

Mujahidah4Allah
08-09-2006, 08:15 PM
reps n being laughed at... :( anyways i wonder if the sisters ok now... :rolleyes:

ma'salamah

Ameeratul Layl
08-10-2006, 01:39 PM
reps n being laughed at... :( anyways i wonder if the sisters ok now... :rolleyes:

ma'salamah
JazakAllah ukhti, I am fine.Alhamdullilah.

= I will not need anymore advise regarding earwax because ' I am fine.' = No one needs to reply to this thread

= :threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.