/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Modern Civilisation

IbnAbdulHakim
08-04-2006, 03:23 PM
:salamext:

How many people wish there were hardly any lofty buildings and just streams and tree's and the way it was thousands of years ago? How many wish the simple life would come back instead of all this night clubs etc and dating and so on.

How do i do a poll, i want to see how many wish for this:

Instead of this:

:wasalamex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azim
08-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Asalamu alaykum.

I would agree to a certain extent. I think we too over dependant on modern technology and constructions.

I think this is perhaps one of the causes of atheism. People look around and see man made buildings and towers, and they think man is the creator and there is no God.

If you spend long enough away from these man-made things, you realise that the greatest creations are the trees and plants, wildlife and the world. You realise how dependant we are on the trees to grow, the animals to eat, the sun to rise. As soon as we realise that, we then realise how dependant we are on the creator - Allah.

Hijaabi22
08-04-2006, 03:42 PM
wud be borin tho i voted for th 1st one in d polll

Mawaddah
08-04-2006, 03:46 PM
How many people wish there were hardly any lofty buildings and just streams and tree's and the way it was thousands of years ago? How many wish the simple life would come back instead of all this night clubs etc and dating and so on.
I most certainly do. In fact I wish it all the time. Human architecture might be extremely fascinating and interesting but then Allahs creation is always the most flawless and fascinating of all.
Sometimes I tire of all this 'moderenness' around me so I retreat myself to my Garden (alhamdulillah I have a large one) and be happy with the nature around me.
However these creations of man can also make a Muslim be in awe of Allah too........to see how Allah is capable of making people with so much intelligence in such.
But such intelligence is usually just abused.Wallahul Musta3aan
I often wish I lived in the olden times.........

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
08-04-2006, 03:51 PM
:sl:

i like both.
before there was no electricty, heating, phones, computers, sewing machines, waching machines etc and so life would have been way different. with regards to clubs in past civilizations theres was also thing likes that.
it also depends on a person. while at times id love the peace of nature and simplicity at other times im glad for things like plumbing!

Mawaddah
08-04-2006, 03:56 PM
^ LoL Masha'allah that's a nice way to put it sis :D

I wasn't thinking in those terms though, But yes it's true modern civilisations has it's pros and cons too.........One thing we should be grateful of is that modern advancements has made giving Da'wah so much more easier. That's definitely not something to be overlooked...

But still........sometimes.............You know what I mean :cry:

S_87
08-04-2006, 04:02 PM
:sl: ^^ i get you. at times i guess its nice to just get away from it all

though not to farms. the smells around arent the best ;D

Woodrow
08-04-2006, 04:58 PM
I voted for the second. For much of my life that was the way I lived. I find it to be much more refreshing and keeping in contact with what life really is, instead of depending on artificial pleasures and having likes and dislikes under the control of media advertising.

Modern technology is fine and has it's place, but we all too often substitute it for life.

amirah_87
08-04-2006, 05:08 PM
ass salaamu alaykum,

Well you know what i prefer :)

the whole farmy peaceful simple life, it bits city life anydays!!..too much fasaad & fitnah!! :heated:

retreats to the mountains of Yemen..right Maw!! ;D;D ...

don't get me started :rollseyes

lolwatever
08-06-2006, 12:54 AM
I love empty, clean coastlines, they're the best!

Has anyone realised that modern designs are getting simpler? For example.. compare this super modern room, to this more older one.. less cluttered and ultra simple.. n coool...

e.g. old : http://splutterfish.com/sf/gallery_v...&action=images
modern:

http://features.cgsociety.org/galler...3880_large.jpg

Dahir
08-06-2006, 01:58 AM
The first picture with the east asian-style farm, immaculate! I would give up urban life for that place ANY day! Stress free living beats the busy world.

Curaezipirid
08-06-2006, 05:46 AM
9 for the continuation of life on Earth to 3 for urbanising glory

therefore Allah wins

so why are we not already so spending our financial resources?

lolwatever
08-06-2006, 10:24 AM
lollll that's hilarious hahahaha

IbnAbdulHakim
08-06-2006, 10:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
I love empty, clean coastlines, they're the best!

Has anyone realised that modern designs are getting simpler? For example.. compare this super modern room, to this more older one.. less cluttered and ultra simple.. n coool...

e.g. old : http://splutterfish.com/sf/gallery_v...&action=images
modern:

http://features.cgsociety.org/galler...3880_large.jpg
The second one seems nice and spacious but nothing beats the peace of an empty house, i dont kno theres something about it. For example everyones always trying to tidy up the house and put all the junk away etc, what if it was empty? what if we ONLY had the essentials!! Imagine...

lolwatever
08-06-2006, 10:56 AM
^^ they'er both fake ;D

IbnAbdulHakim
08-06-2006, 11:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
^^ they'er both fake ;D
LOL !!!!

Curaezipirid
08-08-2006, 08:30 AM
OK, my ideal lifestyle.

When I get Dreaming as to what I can want, this is the limit of it.

It has one problem, that I could perhaps want to use a car once a month or so, and might still be wanting to use electricity for an internet connection. Well actually that is two problems.

But, if I can find a place where I can afford to buy land somewhere in the Australian bush, and near enough to a local Traditionally Oriented Aboriginal community, so as that I could properly re-learn the stories of place, then I regard that upon that piece of land, I will need only a roof, a fireplace, and a toilet and bath.

That is because I have white skin and so I get sunburnt easily. A roof will be useful in the rain also. There will be a stone fireplace, and there might indeed be carpets of a sort, hanging at the edges of the roof, and that can be moved around like a curtain. Then there can be some heat kept inside if it gets cold, but this is usually not a problem in Australia. There could be a loft built under the roof for a few things that might need to be kept up a little higher. But I do not want walls. Maybe just a couple of places to sleep that are on platforms high up under the roof.

Perhaps there could be a shed to lock stuff in when we are not using it, of if we have got in a car and gone to the nearest town for a few days. The car needs to be big enough to sleep in. At the town there can be stuff we could access like a library. Perhaps we can even start a small business that has an office there, since I have many ideas for providing for a family by teaching about Ancient cultural means. I hope one day to develop home schooling programs for children, that teach Islam, science and cross cultural communication, and sell such to folk with less broad ranging experience than my self. Or even establish a small school.

The people at the place would be me and my children and a Husband. (I am still waiting for the right one to make this Dream a reality) He will have to be a Husband whom is willing to learn to hunt for dinner, because if we eat any meat it will only be what we can catch and clean and cook our selves in the old way.

I am tempted by the idea of a refridgerator, but then I consider that if we had access to an office in a town, with electricity, we could dry food for eating when there is no fresh food. In fact, we could sun dry food. So now my mind is wandering into my knowledge of Permaculture. Perhaps gradually we could set up a permaculture garden that is compatible with the local native flora and fauna.

(Permaculture is an Australian developed model of sustainable farming in which the natural bushland is regarded as integral, and every component of the entire Human caused environment need fulfill three functions that link with the overall need for sustainablity. It is provenly effective in many countries.)

But to make a garden like that, we first need to be in a place, and live there a while to get the feel of what the place needs from us.

What I am saying is that already, while I feel a need for a computer and a car and public relations and etc etc etc to fulfill a known viable social function that is external to family, and according to what I Dream that I am capable of; when it comes to my skills at raising children, I Dream that I will be a better mother and wife if I only have a roof and a fireplace and a toilet and a bath.

The toilet can be a composting toilet that there are now many of. The bath can be a creek if we have running water on the land. But a rainwater tank makes good sense to catch to water running off the roof in this dry land. And there are plentiful shells of old disused spas at most city rubbish dumps, that need only be resurfaced and filled, and then can even be set up with a simple heating system from the fireplace. There need not be a bathroom, so long as there are trees around and folk to call out if somebody is arriving, but the toilet needs walls around it. Curved corrugated iron walls stop the flies going in.

The delux model has a wind electricity generator that supplies electricity to under the roof when in need. And perhaps the office is located within walking distance and other persons use their cars to come to visit instead of us going to places where people can maybe find us more easily. But without the internet, why would we want electricity?

The worst that could happen is that we became isolated by petrol shortages, and had to hunt and gather all our food. (lucky that I am often at collecting seeds, but it could easily become bad luck it they are not the right seeds)

This is all I find I am able to want for. I struggle to find any other wants, but the only others I can find are to walk the Earth and meet its people. I guess that is why I like the internet. This is a good excercise for the mind. To suppose, if you could access unlimited resources, what in fact would you really want for yourself? Now also to state that within all else stated here, I am assuming first of all safety for my children, then I find I can want no more. No more than gratitude for what we already are able, and within that, most of all gratitude that I am able to work.

Abdul-Raouf
08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
i like the past civilization....... i wish i lived with one of the prophets

Curaezipirid
09-20-2006, 07:02 AM
Alaikumassalam

The problem is that in countries where people are expected to own stuff: just having kids in many places means that you need to accumulate loads of essentially useful stuff; but if you do not have it you are regarded as raising your children poorly. So in 'the west' that look about a home that is associated with feng shui, or a Japanese asthetic, is actually far more expensive in money to sustain. I collect old stuff so that I don't need to buy new stuff, so it is more difficult to make the house look "pristeen". I reckon loads of folk are in the same boat. (Mum, but this shirt is too big! or Mum, its the wrong shade of blue for school uniform! but the worst was "Mum, this new van is pretty good but when will you get us a four wheel drive like that family have?" so I just had to explain that the new old volkswagon was actually the poshest van around when it was new, and was still in good condition etc. and the kids even had their bedrooms decked out like all the other kids had, but from older stuff.)

I have even heard rick folk complaining that maintaining the preferred asthetic is terribly expensive because the builder has to put in more cupboards. They were complaining that they are not the sort of rich folk who can afford to throw away their belongings only to save space.

So might not we need also to ask, how much stuff are we realistically needing and why?

wasalam

north_malaysian
09-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I cant imagine living without electricity and clean water.... have to vote modern civilisation...

Keltoi
09-20-2006, 09:34 PM
As a Native American I obviously tend to prefer natural beauty opposed to artificial rat-races. I remember my first trip to a major city made me extremely uncomfortable. Too closed in, too smelly, too many people, etc. Modern technology has its obvious advantages, but I am never more at peace than when I'm surrounded by a natural landscape.

Curaezipirid
09-22-2006, 05:48 AM
It is hard to know how much of our preference is only by custom and how much is a more reality inspired want for a living condition that is sustainable.

I guess folk who have never acquired any positive experiences of being out in the bush are not able to like to be away from the creature comforts of the city.

Camping is sure uncomfortable until you find your self in the way of nature.

But get this: I know a person who grew up in the East End of London, and her mum and uncles and father had always lived in and around Bethnal Green. Their family has traced their ancestry living in Bethnal Green back to when it was a village outside of London! The televised Charles Dickens novel "The River" reminded me of her, and when I told her about it and she watched it, she reckoned it gave her a true feel for her home. She is like the dustmen in that story, and even worked at scavenging in the public rubblish dump for ages here in Australia. But she reckons she has a friend in London whom had never been over the river into South London from Bethnal Green. One day she took her friend over the river and her friend had a panic attack and had to head on back to the East End.

So I guess that when we talk about Indigenous Land Rights, there sure is the full range of possiblity in that which we have become accustomed to connecting to as our own "natural" place.

wasalam

Fishman
01-19-2008, 05:40 PM
:sl:
Civilization is pwnage!!! The best game ever made!
:w:

chacha_jalebi
01-19-2008, 07:37 PM
who decided to dig up bare old threads pssssh

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.