/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice Needed...

gladTidings
08-04-2006, 08:18 PM
:sl:

I hope you are all well...

I have just completed my A levels in chemistry, biology and psychology, and have an AS in I.T. Although I was predicted 3 A grades at A level, I do not feel I worked to my full potential. Still if my prayers are heard I may pass with a couple of good grades (inshAllah). Anyway, last year I applied for medicine as planned, for I don’t know how many years and was rejected by all universities.

It was difficult to accept the rejections but after many months I started looking into other areas of interest considering the subjects that I've studied. After heaps of research, visits and personal recommendations I’ve come up with 3 potential courses that I might like study at university: Chemistry, Dentistry and Biochemistry. Anyway still amid the confusion, a few weeks back one of my family friends encouraged me to re-apply for medicine, he said he would help with the application process and has confused me even more.

I’m really confused about what I want to study and being so near results day (just under 2 weeks away) I’m forced to think about it.

I hope someone can help.

Salaam x

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
rizwana87
08-04-2006, 08:24 PM
hope your ok, i understand how stressing getting your results can be bcoz a grade can have a huge impact on whether you get your place at uni. medicine is very competitive subject inshallah u'll get the grades you require. what i advise you do is wait till you get your grades and see if you can go through clearing maybe you will get your place. but bearing in mind tht medicine is a long degree and are u 100% committed to going through it? consider your other options as well im sure you'll find something else you like. if not theres always a gap year and you can re-apply next year if you want
hope tht helps
:w:

gladTidings
08-04-2006, 08:33 PM
JazakAllah Khayr for the reply...

I would have to take a gap year if i choose to re-apply for medicine anyway and i would have to prepare my application by September this year. The problem is I dont know whether i want to study medicine anymore. I understand the commitments, I'm just very confused!

rizwana87
08-04-2006, 08:39 PM
hmmmm well jus make the right decision...do you see your self goin into a medicinal profession? or do you see yourself as something else? you have the other 3 options tht you chose. you could pick one of the 3 and you could have a taster and see if you like it and take it from there. but if your still unsure take a gap year coz u dont wanna choose a subject then go through the whole year and find out u dont want to do it coz all the effort you put in would be pointless.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
limitless
08-04-2006, 08:45 PM

I don't know what system it is in U.K but it is certainly different from Canada. I suggest you get yourself into Chartered Accountant, or maybe engineering? Those are excellent fields to pursuit, I highly recommand nanotechnology.

gladTidings
08-04-2006, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by limitless

I don't know what system it is in U.K but it is certainly different from Canada. I suggest you get yourself into Chartered Accountant, or maybe engineering? Those are excellent fields to pursuit, I highly recommand nanotechnology.

Lol... anything else to add to my confusion?

Thanx anyway

do you see your self goin into a medicinal profession? or do you see yourself as something else?
At the moment, I just see my computer screen. No, really I'm cant see myself anywhere, just need a direction.

rizwana87
08-04-2006, 08:51 PM
nanotecnology...lol ok!

just take a gap year, find a job and then go to uni next year coz atleast you'll have time to think about it! or better still go to a careers advisor..

gladTidings
08-04-2006, 08:56 PM
The thing is, i have to apply soon to get a place for next year.

bint_muhammed
08-04-2006, 09:51 PM
hya i'm in a similar situation however i've just done my As year, and not doing any science (cant stand them). do something your going to enjoy, do well in and see yourself 10 years down the line and satisfied with! i'm going to do something that i find intresting, and i'm good at!

i've got a question for people is that i wanted to do child psychlogy, however people have been telling me your wastingyour time as its so popular and hard to find jobs in, is it true? i heard it's ok in america, prob move there then!

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 12:16 AM
Apply for medicine again. Never settle for an occupation that you won't enjoy. Examine why you want to be a doctor. Then take those reasons and apply them to other occupations.

asiya45
08-05-2006, 03:16 AM
Assalamualikum Sister,
I suggest you make dua and ask Allah to guide you and he will...surely he know everything.
I am sure Allah wil help you make a decision Inshallah.
May Allah guide you sister.
Ameen
Assalamualikum

sevgi
08-05-2006, 03:25 AM
go down to a state of prostration...concentrate on Allah and ask him to guide ur heart...you will feel the right decision inshallah....never under estimate the power of dua...

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 03:28 AM
I take it that you are very young. Your career will likely change many times, as you grow and your priorities change.

mlsh27
08-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Salam,
I suggest you go to college as "undecided." This way you can take various classes to see what really spikes your interest. There is no reason you need to know right now exactly what you want to do. Take your time to explore, becaus you will never know what you will find!

searchingsoul
08-05-2006, 03:42 AM
I used to fret about my career and every step I took along the way. I graduated from college, had a career, and found it was overrated. It's much easier to just marry for money.

DigitalStorm82
08-05-2006, 04:40 AM
Asalamu Alaikum Sis,

What are your thoughts on being a Teacher?

The prophet freed war captives if they taught 5 men how to read... now you can only imagine the status of a teacher in the eyes of Allah.

Most importantly, It is sadakah Jariyah... Even after your dead.. whoever you taught will obviously teach their kids and so on and so forth... Imagine the reward...

But, Just a thought...

May Allah make it easy for you...

W'salaamz,
Hamid

gladTidings
08-05-2006, 04:46 PM
walaikum asalaam Br.Hamid

yeah, I've considered teaching... and i have loads of experience in teaching. This is one of my options IF i choose to study chemistry alone.

go down to a state of prostration...concentrate on Allah and ask him to guide ur heart...you will feel the right decision inshallah....never under estimate the power of dua...
True sister... JazakAllah Khayr

Hijaabi22
08-05-2006, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Çhêrrÿ

I hope you are all well...

I have just completed my A levels in chemistry, biology and psychology, and have an AS in I.T. Although I was predicted 3 A grades at A level, I do not feel I worked to my full potential. Still if my prayers are heard I may pass with a couple of good grades (inshAllah). Anyway, last year I applied for medicine as planned, for I don’t know how many years and was rejected by all universities.

It was difficult to accept the rejections but after many months I started looking into other areas of interest considering the subjects that I've studied. After heaps of research, visits and personal recommendations I’ve come up with 3 potential courses that I might like study at university: Chemistry, Dentistry and Biochemistry. Anyway still amid the confusion, a few weeks back one of my family friends encouraged me to re-apply for medicine, he said he would help with the application process and has confused me even more.

I’m really confused about what I want to study and being so near results day (just under 2 weeks away) I’m forced to think about it.

I hope someone can help.

Salaam x

sis sis sis.......next year im in my 3rd of 4 years of uni and believe u me I AM STILL CONFUSED!!! I started teachin and I ''quit'' for abpout a month but after a long hard thought I am now bak on my teachin degree but am still not 100% sure if thats exactly what I want to do...you jus gta follow ya heart and do what YOU wanna do not wat any1 is tellin u2do. And lukin at the courses youvementioned, youve gta have alotta dedication and be committed to ya course cos they are sum tough choices Uv piked there! And another thing...if Uve bin predicted 3 As then Y did u get rejected by all the unis?? :rollseyes...Im sure if thats wat ur predicted then thats wat Ull get.... wenever u cum outta an exam u ALWAYS feel as if Uv done bad and always always u cum out tops! Trust me I know! Anywasy GUD LUK iwth watever u decide to do, and remeber think about it gud n proper b4 u dceide anything 4 def!

Hijaabi22
08-05-2006, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82

What are your thoughts on being a Teacher?

The prophet freed war captives if they taught 5 men how to read... now you can only imagine the status of a teacher in the eyes of Allah.

Hamid

SUBHAAAAAAAAAAANALLAH!! I jus read that mdh now n u put a big smile on my face ryt here ryt now cos Im duin a teachin degree!

DigitalStorm82
08-06-2006, 03:18 AM
Alhumdulillah :)

thc
08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
asalamu alaikum warahmtullhi wabaraktuhu,

If you re apply for medicine there is no guarantee that you will
get an offer even if you have already achieved grade As or you
resit the alevels and achieve grade As.

With chemistry OR any biological sciences at BSc level one can go on to do a p.g.c.e in chemistry or biology after completing the 3 year course.

However if you want a career in chemistry/biology one may have to do a PHD as finding jobs in this field is not easy at the moment.

Dentistry is a good career it takes 5 years at uni or Pharmacy which is a 4 year course is also a good career.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.