/* */

PDA

View Full Version : pattern making princples

Ummu Sufyaan
08-06-2006, 12:29 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.
im doing a sewing course, and we are making patterns. im having a little trouble with some stuff regarding this. i need the method regarding hemfullnesses:pivot method.
if this sounds familiar to any brothers or sisters, let me know
jazakallhu khair
:sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vaseline
08-06-2006, 01:09 PM
Actually, never mind. I assume you are referring to the hem pivot method? What problems are you having exactly?

I'll try and help you as best as I can sis but I cannot guarantee a solution to your problem ;)

Ummu Sufyaan
08-07-2006, 09:40 AM
:sl: siste.
yeah, thats the it. jazakallhu khair for your reply, but alhamdulilah, i have had some help. however, do you know about how to add on a zip allowance to the centre back of a skirt, and also seam finishes.
jazakllahu khair

Vaseline
08-07-2006, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
:sl: siste.
yeah, thats the it. jazakallhu khair for your reply, but alhamdulilah, i have had some help. however, do you know about how to add on a zip allowance to the centre back of a skirt, and also seam finishes.
jazakllahu khair
Wa Alaikum Assalaam,

That's good news that you've had help. Now, I'm not sure about the zippers [they weren't my specialty either :p but maybe your teacher can help :?] but what about seam finishes? Usually, you just overlock the edges and sew the edges of the garment together. Care to be more specific?

format_quote Originally Posted by HusamLah
i do
Which one? I hope you know the zip one :thankyou:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Curaezipirid
08-08-2006, 08:48 AM
I am not educated in pattern making, but have made up patterns by copying existing clothing. Sometimes it is that to appreciate why a pattern need to have certain shapes in it, it becomes necessary to first try to make a smaller hand stitched replica of the design feature. A pivot method of making patterns for hems sounds like you could be helped by getting out a pencil and paper and a drawing compass and a protractor and make load and loads of circles and cut them up into pies, only so as to become familiar with what sort of angles are able to form what sort of shapes. What angles enable that a hem flattens down OK. I hope that is useful.

Ummu Sufyaan
08-08-2006, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=Vaseline;438936]Wa Alaikum Assalaam,

That's good news that you've had help. Now, I'm not sure about the zippers [they weren't my specialty either :p but maybe your teacher can help :?] but what about seam finishes? Usually, you just overlock the edges and sew the edges of the garment together. Care to be more specific?

:sl: sisters and brothers.
im not sure about the seam finishes either, i wan't there for that bit.

jazakallahu khair

Vaseline
08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
what I generally learnt last year is that you can either overlock the edge separately then sew them together to form a seam. Or, you can sew them as a seam and then overlock the fabric together to form a closed seam.

If you are still confused, why don't you ask your teacher? I sure s/he will be able to help you more easily =)

Ummu Sufyaan
08-12-2006, 07:20 AM
:w:
I think we are talking about 2different things.jazakallhu khair anyways
:w:

lolwatever
11-16-2006, 08:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
:sl: brothers and sisters.
im doing a sewing course, and we are making patterns. im having a little trouble with some stuff regarding this. i need the method regarding hemfullnesses:pivot method.
if this sounds familiar to any brothers or sisters, let me know
jazakallhu khair
lol my mum got 2 diplomas in it... but she knows the terms in french... if u tell me wat hemfullness means in frech i can ask her :p

salamz

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.