/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What times of day to Muslims pray?

מדינת ישׂראל
08-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Jews have always prayed three times a day:

Shakharit - Morning Prayers 30-45 Minutes (Some as long as an hour)

Minkha - Afternoon Prayers (About 10-15 minutes)

Maariv - Prayers after Dark (About 20 minutes)

On the Saturday, most morning prayers will be about from 9am-1pm or so. And we pray 4 times on Shabbat.

On Yom Kippur we pray basically all day straight with five prayer sessions which go for so long they overlap lol.

So the question is: How many times do Muslims pray? Do must Muslims observe these prayers? How long are the prayers usually?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
08-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh I see....not too different from Islam

Well we pray 5 times daily...

At dawn (fajr) which consists of 2 rakaats obilgatory and 2 rakaats also close to obligatory

Zuhr, just after zenith. 4+4+2+2[last 2 optional] rakaats

Asr, late afternoon 4+4 (Rakaats)

Maghrib, just after sunset 3+2+2[last 2 optional]

Esha, after the faint white light on the eastern horizon disapears(night prayers), 4[optional]+4+2+3+2[optional]......

מדינת ישׂראל
08-06-2006, 09:31 PM
How long does each of the five take?

And what is a Rakaat?

QuranStudy
08-06-2006, 09:31 PM
Do Jewish prayers involve recitations?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
מדינת ישׂראל
08-06-2006, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by QuranStudy
Do Jewish prayers involve recitations?
Not really.

Many Jews have all the prayers memorized by praying so long, but tiny little prayer books you can store in your pocket give you the prayers to recite. Theres also personal prayers, and there are mourning prayers, if you are mourning the death of someone (you recite them eachday for 1 year since loved one died.) that i did not include in the times i wrote.

Lamaggad
08-06-2006, 09:37 PM
we pray five times a daily

(Fajer) Sun rise - 2 units
(Zuhor) Noon time - 4 units
(Asr) After noon - 4 units
(Mghrib) Evening time wene the sun goes down - 3 units
(Isha) Night time - 4 units

Usually our prayers doesn't take more than 10 - 15 minuets..

we also do some extra prayers as Prophet Muhammad used to do..
thos extra prayers take place in all of them except for (Asr) prayer, we call them (Sunna)

מדינת ישׂראל
08-06-2006, 09:45 PM
And is a rug mandatory to do a prayer?

QuranStudy
08-06-2006, 09:45 PM
No.

afriend
08-06-2006, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by מדינת ישׂראל
Just a clean place....Islam insists on cleanliness, so before praying, we do ablution, it remains until it is broken by many factors....

מדינת ישׂראל
08-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Same thing in Judaism. You must pray in a clean place.

Lamaggad
08-06-2006, 10:15 PM
not really, we use it just to have a clean surface for us to pray since we bow to the floor and stuff.

Abdul Fattah
08-06-2006, 11:00 PM
How long does each of the five take?

And what is a Rakaat?
Well a Rakaat is a series of actions done in prayer. If a certain prayer has 4 rakaat that means that the serie of actions (recitations, bowing down, etc ) will be restarted 4 times. (so after we complete one rakaat we start all over again). Some things change in some rakaat but I won't go to deep in detail so I won't confuse you. A single rakaat takes about one or two minutes depending on which part of the qur'an is recited.

Muhammad
08-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Hello,

As for the other part of your question: it is obligatory on every Muslim to pray 5 times a day, hence this is regarded as one of the 5 'pillars' of Islam.

Can I ask what is Yom Kippur? Also, do Jews have a specific direction to face in prayer?

Peace.

searchingsoul
08-07-2006, 12:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lamaggad
we pray five times a daily

(Fajer) Sun rise - 2 units
(Zuhor) Noon time - 4 units
(Asr) After noon - 4 units
(Mghrib) Evening time wene the sun goes down - 3 units
(Isha) Night time - 4 units

Usually our prayers doesn't take more than 10 - 15 minuets..

we also do some extra prayers as Prophet Muhammad used to do..
thos extra prayers take place in all of them except for (Asr) prayer, we call them (Sunna)
What if this interupts your sleep schedule? Or do you adjust your schedule around prayer?

Lamaggad
08-07-2006, 01:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by searchingsoul
What if this interupts your sleep schedule? Or do you adjust your schedule around prayer?
Yup every Muslims should make sure that he/she prays on time all the time... for that we should adjust our schedule around the prayer times.

searchingsoul
08-07-2006, 01:20 AM
Yup every Muslims should make sure that he/she prays on time all the time... for that we should adjust our schedule around the prayer times.

Is that even true if a woman has an infant and is required to nurse every couple hours? It seems like it would be next to impossible in this situation.

מדינת ישׂראל
08-07-2006, 01:22 AM
Can I ask what is Yom Kippur?
Yom Kippur is the holiest day, where we beg G-d to forgive us for all of our sins. It is one thing to say 'please forgive me' and another thing to actually ask everyone to forgive you, and ask them to help you change and make you into a better person.

On Yom Kippur I would go to my wife, and kids. Ask them if I wronged them in anyway, and how I can fix it, instead of just appologizing.

You fast for 25 hours (no eating or drinking) on Yom Kippur to show G-d you are sorry.

Also, do Jews have a specific direction to face in prayer?
Yes, towards Jerusalem.

Lamaggad
08-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Is that even true if a woman has an infant and is required to nurse every couple hours? It seems like it would be next to impossible in this situation.
of course there are exceptions in some case... but you should usually try to make sure all the time that nothing interrupts your prayers...

infant has the priority in this case... she should give him the injection, make sure every thing is fine.. and then pray...

praying time only 10 -15 minutes and some time it's less than 10 min.

there is some other cases such as traveling, sickness and war times.

if you want we can speak about that in more details. just let me know.

Lamaggad
08-07-2006, 01:32 AM
You fast for 25 hours (no eating or drinking) on Yom Kippur to show G-d you are sorry.[/B]
Man, thats along time... it's more than one day...

does kids have to fast too?!? what age should they start fastling?!

מדינת ישׂראל
08-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Man, thats along time... it's more than one day...

does kids have to fast too?!? what age should they start fastling?!
At the age of 13, you become a 'man' or 'women' when it comes to complying with all laws of the Torah.

Therefore, when a Jewish women or man at 13 has a Bar-Mitvah or Bat-Mitzvah they are no longer kids, and they are now responsible to follow the laws of G-d.

So the awnser is... at 13.

Lamaggad
08-07-2006, 02:03 AM
At the age of 13, you become a 'man' or 'women' when it comes to complying with all laws of the Torah.

Therefore, when a Jewish women or man at 13 has a Bar-Mitvah or Bat-Mitzvah they are no longer kids, and they are now responsible to follow the laws of G-d.

So the awnser is... at 13.
what is bar Mivah?! what if they didn't have it at the age of 13?! is it still a must for them bcz they are 13?

מדינת ישׂראל
08-07-2006, 02:41 AM
what is bar Mivah?! what if they didn't have it at the age of 13?! is it still a must for them bcz they are 13?
You automatically become a bar-mitzvah at 13... some families arrange it so there children during saturday services can read verses from the torah in front of the congregation, some have a party for them when hey turn 13.

Its irelevant what you do for them at 13, when they turn this age, they become old enough to be accountable for there actions in G-d's view. Therefore they are obligated to fast on Yom-Kippur.

جوري
08-07-2006, 04:19 AM
you should know that there are times when women are exempt from prayers and fast.... I believe soon after birth a woman would be exempt from prayers until cessation.......however fast would have to be made up at a later time
wallah a3lam

Allah-creation
08-07-2006, 04:26 AM
toward Jerusalem? why?
we muslims pray toward kahba becuase Allah(SW) chair is ontop of it at the seventh heaven.

north_malaysian
08-07-2006, 05:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
toward Jerusalem? why?
we muslims pray toward kahba becuase Allah(SW) chair is ontop of it at the seventh heaven.
Excuse me for saying this, but remember, Muslims also used to pray towards Jerusalem...

north_malaysian
08-07-2006, 05:18 AM
You automatically become a bar-mitzvah at 13... some families arrange it so there children during saturday services can read verses from the torah in front of the congregation, some have a party for them when hey turn 13.

Its irelevant what you do for them at 13, when they turn this age, they become old enough to be accountable for there actions in G-d's view. Therefore they are obligated to fast on Yom-Kippur.
It's like Muslim 'aqil baligh' (reaching age of puberty) for Shafiite (which I'm following) usually 15 for boys and 10 for girls. But still depend on when they reached their puberty.

syilla
08-07-2006, 05:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
Excuse me for saying this, but remember, Muslims also used to pray towards Jerusalem...
yup...then Allah s.w.t change it.

someone please help me with quran translation and hadith please....

DigitalStorm82
08-07-2006, 05:40 AM
peace be to all,

One question that wasn't answered is time...

The time it takes to make any salaah (prayer) is variant. It all depends on the length of the Surah (Chapters of Quran) being recited.

For example:
Praying fajr, 2 rakaah fard (mandatory)... would take only 5 minutes if you were to recite short surahs found at the end of the Quran.

It could easily be 30 minutes if you recite longer surahs... which are found in the begining of the Quran.

Peace,
Hamid

north_malaysian
08-07-2006, 05:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
peace be to all,

One question that wasn't answered is time...

The time it takes to make any salaah (prayer) is variant. It all depends on the length of the Surah (Chapters of Quran) being recited.

For example:
Praying fajr, 2 rakaah fard (mandatory)... would take only 5 minutes if you were to recite short surahs found at the end of the Quran.

It could easily be 30 minutes if you recite longer surahs... which are found in the begining of the Quran.

Peace,
Hamid
I think, for people who rushing to save time.... they could do 1 min per rakaah (like reading Al Fatihah only)!

DigitalStorm82
08-07-2006, 06:03 AM
If your in that big of a rush... might as well not pray then... cause thats not a salaah... "thats a bird pecking the ground"

However, I don't advise people not to pray... but pray so that it COUNTS...

My imaam once told me... 1/10th of our salaah is accepted because of our wandering minds... so if your not even trying and rushing.. whats the point?

Ma'salaama,
Hamid

north_malaysian
08-07-2006, 06:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by DigitalStorm82
If your in that big of a rush... might as well not pray then... cause thats not a salaah... "thats a bird pecking the ground"

However, I don't advise people not to pray... but pray so that it COUNTS...

My imaam once told me... 1/10th of our salaah is accepted because of our wandering minds... so if your not even trying and rushing.. whats the point?

Ma'salaama,
Hamid
I've seen many people doing this 'pecking' during rush hours because, people tend to leave 'Asr prayer because they might be stucked on the road from 4.00 PM up to 8.00 PM (Asr prayer usually between 4.20 - 7.15 PM). Thanks to Allah, my office have a 'musalla' (prayer room) and it only takes 30 mins to travel back to home.

Lamaggad
08-07-2006, 06:13 AM
I remember seeing that in one of the movies, a kid is reading parts from the Torah in front of others... but i still think it'll be very hard on them not to eat for a whole day in that age...

another two questions if you don't mind..
the very small thing that you put on top of your head when you are reading Torah.. what is it and what is purpose of it?

when you are done praying, is it a must for you to wear white shirt that has threads coming out for it?! and what is the purpose of it..?

Quruxbadaan
08-07-2006, 06:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
toward Jerusalem? why?

WhaTT?????

Quruxbadaan
08-07-2006, 06:20 AM
some good questions guys

Ive alwayse wanted to know if somebody can convert to judaism or is it something your born into???

And would somebody please explain to me about Allah (SWT) having a throne on top of the ka'baa

I have never heard of this ????????

EVIDENCE?????

Lamaggad
08-07-2006, 06:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
it leads to the same direction --> Ka'ba...

any way.. Jews direction is completely the opposite of ours since they do not face Al-Aqssa mosque.

when he says Jerusalem, he is pointing at the wailing wall... so basically they pray facing that wall and the Aqssa Mosque is completely behind their back...

if i'm wrong מדינת ישׂראל, please correct me.. :)

DigitalStorm82
08-07-2006, 07:04 AM
The throne of Allah is so big that even if u took everything in the earth and streatched it out... it would be like looking for a drop of water in the ocean.

what the brother said is true.. the throne of Allah is above the kabaah... but his throne is so big it covers everything. Also mentioned is that the angels make tawaaf (circle the kabaah) in the heavens above the kabaah..

What actually goes on.. and how it goes on... Only Allah knows of the unseen.

peace n blessings,
Hamid

as far as my understanding... Allah knows best... Im guessing the kabbah is below the throne.. but its location marks the center of His throne.

lavikor201
08-07-2006, 02:56 PM
it leads to the same direction --> Ka'ba...

any way.. Jews direction is completely the opposite of ours since they do not face Al-Aqssa mosque.

when he says Jerusalem, he is pointing at the wailing wall... so basically they pray facing that wall and the Aqssa Mosque is completely behind their back...

if i'm wrong מדינת ישׂראל, please correct me.. :)
Jews have been praying towards Jerusalem before there was an 'Al-Asqa Mosque" and before there was a "Quran" for that matter.

It would be good to ask all of these questions in the actual "Q/A Judaism" thread guys!

Lamaggad
08-07-2006, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lavikor201
Jews have been praying towards Jerusalem before there was an 'Al-Asqa Mosque" and before there was a "Quran" for that matter.

It would be good to ask all of these questions in the actual "Q/A Judaism" thread guys!
My reply is in the Judaism thread as requested :)
http://www.islamicboard.com/439473-post301.html

Muhammad
08-08-2006, 02:48 PM
:sl:

If possible, please provide evidence for the statement that the Ka'bah "marks the centre of the Throne of Allaah". And just to clarify one point, the angels have their own Ka'bah in the heavens, as mentioned in the following narrations:
The Prophet

(Peace & Blessings of Allaah be upon Him) said, described the Much-Frequented House (al-Bayt al-Ma‘moor) in the seventh heaven: "Then I was taken up to the Much-Frequented House: every day seventy thousand angels visit it and leave, never returning to it again, another [group] coming after them."
(Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fath, no. 3207).

Ibn 'Abbas and others said: "Allah sent down the Qur'an at one time from al-Lawh al-Mahfuz to Bayt al-'Izzah in the first heaven, then it was revealed to the Messenger of Allah

in stages
according to events over twenty-three years." (Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/529)

Lastly, as mentioned above, please keep the Q&A about Judaism in its respective thread.

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.